Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I've hit middle age as far as my taste in music (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180833)

Trotskilicious 04-23-2014 01:03 AM


D. 04-23-2014 01:18 AM

just came in my shorts

MusicMan4 04-23-2014 04:00 AM

i guess "metal" is number two on the list of redbre's biggest failures on his musical sojurn

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054148)
this is what fucking heavy is



uh no, no it's not

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 06:54 AM

cliched probably, but this is in A# tuning. literally heavy.


MusicMan4 04-23-2014 06:55 AM

legalise drugs & murder

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 06:58 AM

actually this, from about the 3 minute mark


I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 06:58 AM

and let's not forget our old friends


Trotskilicious 04-23-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore (Post 4054220)
actually this, from about the 3 minute mark


/me jerks off

D. 04-23-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton (Post 4054205)
i guess "metal" is number two on the list of redbre's biggest failures on his musical sojurn

Hah!!!

The exploding boy 04-23-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054147)
heavy metal shred style lead guitar is just so fucking cheesy and awful too


hey I have an idea it will sound awesome if I play every scale I know in this song all with 256th notes


Who cares what it sounds like, it's impressive!

Its like gymnastics. not much to do with music. Unfortunately a lot of people (actually make that guys mainly) who ever pick up an instrument, especially guitar, have a pretty big ego (which is used to hide insecurity) and the worst that could happen is if someone called what they play easy. Hence shredding solos.

Syrial Carpens 04-23-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4053192)
yeah there were plenty of metal fans who liked MCIS and even SD

Truth. I grew up as a thrash metal only kid. SP were my introduction to other genres because they were close enough to metal without actually being metal.

redbreegull 04-23-2014 04:03 PM

without sabbath there's not much for any of those bands to stand on

Syrial Carpens 04-23-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054148)
this is what fucking heavy is



Your point would've been better made had you chosen Master Of Reality instead. Though I'm Hardcore would still win this debate with his examples (and probably countless others).

redbreegull 04-23-2014 05:03 PM

sheer ignorance. none of those bands is heavier than black sabbath and also their music is not anywhere near as good or innovative

Cool As Ice Cream 04-23-2014 05:07 PM


Trotskilicious 04-23-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054277)
sheer ignorance. none of those bands is heavier than black sabbath and also their music is not anywhere near as good or innovative

here we go with this dumb shit

for one thing neurosis is built on swans

redbreegull 04-23-2014 07:26 PM

omg do you like swans i never would have guessed

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 07:30 PM

omg you've never listened to a swans record i never would have guessed

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 07:30 PM

YES IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT SABBATH PAVED THE WAY FOR HEAVY METAL BANDS

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 07:31 PM

so fucking what? what exactly is it that makes Sabbath 'heavier' than any of those tracks i posted?

redbreegull 04-23-2014 07:36 PM

what makes those tracks heavier than sabbath? you were the one who wanted to challenge my assertion so the burden of proof is on you.

redbreegull 04-23-2014 07:39 PM

actually don't I really don't care.

most heavy metal music is derivative/heavily influenced by sabbath though and I think that would be pretty difficult to argue with.

another thing that hasn't really been brought up in this thread is that it's bullshit that "metal" gets a monopoly on the adjective heavy. there are plenty of heavy bands that aren't metal at all, but for some reason heavy is synonymous to many people with metal music.

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054301)
what makes those tracks heavier than sabbath? you were the one who wanted to challenge my assertion so the burden of proof is on you.

first of all, stop talking to me like i'm your stepson, okay?

"burden of proof" you reckon. well, lets take the Bardo Pond track as an example.

1). it's louder
2). there are 2 guitars
3). it has been recorded at a lower frequency, therefore making it sound heavier
4). Sabbath sounds tinny and watery in comparison

am i missing anything?

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054303)

most heavy metal music is derivative/heavily influenced by sabbath though and I think that would be pretty difficult to argue with.

no one is arguing against this.

but you can't use the recordings of a precursor band to simply say "THIS IS THE HEAVIEST SHIT EVER" simply because it came first, or whatever.


using this argument - is Glenn Branca the most "experimental" guitarist ever? were Throbbing Gristle more "industrial" than Wolf Eyes ever were?

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 08:06 PM

WHO IS MORE METAL THAN WHO???? ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN


http://www.vickibrennerent.com/bluec...es/cheer40.jpg

http://www.roller-mag.com/Celtic%2BF...une%2B1984.jpg

http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-con.../01/Sunn-O.jpg

slunken 04-23-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore (Post 4054307)
were Throbbing Gristle more "industrial" than Wolf Eyes ever were?

honestly i'd call that one pretty even

though one could say that while TG "invented" industrial a band like wolf dudes was able to draw on 20+ additional years of other types of zonked sound therefore making them less industrial simply by the level of purity

???

slunken 04-23-2014 08:30 PM

that reminds me i need to re-download tg24 so i burn some cds for my car. long hazy drives to work in the morning with the sun coming up style.

Syrial Carpens 04-23-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore (Post 4054308)

I vote number 2, because of my Tom G. Warrior man-crush.

I'm Hardcore 04-23-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4054309)
honestly i'd call that one pretty even

though one could say that while TG "invented" industrial a band like wolf dudes was able to draw on 20+ additional years of other types of zonked sound therefore making them less industrial simply by the level of purity

???

yeah, two very different bands. i think Wolf Eyes are one of the most unique bands going around

D. 04-23-2014 11:36 PM

I saw Wolf Eyes play an insane set earlier this month. It was a festival type thing so it was great seeing all the people who had no idea who they were leave after like half a song. By the end of their set it was only like, me and possibly 15 or 20 people. It was a magical set, though.

Starla 04-24-2014 02:23 AM

This has been in my rotation all week


Trotskilicious 04-24-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreatorkind (Post 4054304)
I agree with that. The Doors were pretty heavy to me, for instance.

RBG, when this guy agrees with you its safe to assume that you are arguing from ignorance

Trotskilicious 04-24-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore (Post 4054297)
omg you've never listened to a swans record i never would have guessed

Lol

redbreegull 04-24-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore (Post 4054306)
first of all, stop talking to me like i'm your stepson, okay?

"burden of proof" you reckon. well, lets take the Bardo Pond track as an example.

1). it's louder
2). there are 2 guitars
3). it has been recorded at a lower frequency, therefore making it sound heavier
4). Sabbath sounds tinny and watery in comparison

am i missing anything?

only that the bands you posted are like fucking sperms from tony iommi's dick

redbreegull 04-24-2014 04:26 PM

interestingly, the first known labeling of a band as "heavy metal"


I'm Hardcore 04-24-2014 07:30 PM

hands up who likes to deal with young children? not me.

Trotskilicious 04-24-2014 08:12 PM

wilco is derivative of something from the 60s and 70s, probably the byrds or the yardbirds or whatever

he sounds like an old person with this "what does it matter, they were the original"

shut up, grandpas.

redbreegull 04-25-2014 01:01 AM

http://www.craigbellamy.net/images//fedora.gif

I'm Hardcore 04-25-2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreatorkind (Post 4054567)
uh huh... like you have shown any understanding of music.:rolleyes:

sound comeback, man


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022