Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Deftones (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187012)

houseofglass11 10-05-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561909)
Agreed. White Pony waS the introduction of elaborate production, better drumming and a generally thicker, more complex sound.

White Pony is pretty much the opposite of that. It’s thin and digital and very ProTools sounding. ATF has a huge drum and guitar sound. It’s just a better album all around. I’ll repeat it eight hundred more times too don’t worry.

ninsp 10-06-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofglass11 (Post 4561977)
White Pony is pretty much the opposite of that. It’s thin and digital and very ProTools sounding. ATF has a huge drum and guitar sound. It’s just a better album all around. I’ll repeat it eight hundred more times too don’t worry.

ATF sounds like Limp Bizkit lol so dated

Shadaloo 10-06-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKeyZ (Post 4561921)
Machina sounds nothing like Adore. Adore was Adore and Billy has never ever captured that magic again. Machinas were a bloated mess where Billy tried to make another Mellon Collie opus and failed. You cannot find Adore on Machina or any other Billy release that has come since. And, no, The Future Embrace nor the new garbage he put out sounds like Adore. I hear people compare the new stuff to Adore and think, "What the hell are you smoking?" White Pony/Self Titled is more like their Mellon Collie. A matured and dynamic sound that brought them into an ever bigger spotlight. Made people realize they're more than just some nu metal band, kinda like how Mellon Collie showed SP were something more.

Put aside the fact you think the Machinas are a bloated mess, or that you hate modern SP, which is completely beside the point and irrelevant to the comparison.

You're missing the point; I'm not saying Machina sounds like Adore, that's an oversimplification. What I'm saying is that Adore's soundscapes informed what was to come. Look at stuff like Daphne Descends, Crestfallen, Pug. Appels + Oranjes. Then think about The Sacred and Profane, the synth lines in the back of Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers. Look at Home or Innosense. There's synth elements in there and that's a direct result of coming off of Adore.

Sure, Billy tried to go back in a more rock oriented direction, but the time they spent on Adore informed them and by that point they were very comfortable with electronic aspects.

Kinda like how on White Pony or Self-titled we start to shift away from the nu-metal trappings, and start incorporating elements of trip-hop, to serve a simple example. Without that, you don't get, god help me, Pink Cellphone.

If anything, going further beyond that I'd call KNY the album that kind of exemplifies their current musical direction as I think that's a good example of 'metalgaze', or whatever it's being called now. Unlike SP, who tend to sound very different with every release, Deftones make gradual changes as they go.

Eulogy 10-06-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninsp (Post 4561997)
ATF sounds like Limp Bizkit lol so dated

This is a horrid take

houseofglass11 10-06-2020 02:59 PM

Seriously that comment alone proves ninsp is a fool

houseofglass11 10-06-2020 03:01 PM

And it’s ironic because ATF was pretty much just straight up altmetal. White Pony was their most numetal sounding album. The record company even made them go back and add that horrid rap metal opening song because they didn’t think they had a good single.

houseofglass11 10-06-2020 03:37 PM

What the fuck is your problem? Not my fault your band sucks and you use embarrassing fonts.

ninsp 10-06-2020 05:32 PM

Headup is the Deftones most nu-metal song. I love it, but it sounds like Limp Bizkit

Eulogy 10-06-2020 07:12 PM

All of you shut up.

Around the Fur is great and does not sound like limp bizkit. End of discussion.

smashingjj 10-06-2020 07:13 PM

seriously what kind of discussion is this

houseofglass11 10-06-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4562028)
You are the only alt rock fan that I've heard say anything remotely like that. Is it a coincidence that you're a fucking weasely loser who lives on a messageboard and doesn't like it when people disagree with his inane musical ramblings?

White Pony has always been regarded as a numetal album. Where have you been? The opening track is literally rap metal. You’re the weasley loser getting incensed by someone’s fucking opinion. Around the Fur is their best album hands down so you can all shut the fuck up.

How much reverb do you need to cover up your mediocre vocals and songs dude? Might wanna tone that shit down a little. I remember when you were on the SP Facebook group telling people that your music is better than anything Billy has done post 2007. In your dreams dude. Lollllll

And seriously those fonts??

Eulogy 10-06-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofglass11 (Post 4562032)
White Pony has always been regarded as a numetal album. Where have you been? The opening track is literally rap metal. You’re the weasley loser getting incensed by someone’s fucking opinion. Around the Fur is their best album hands down so you can all shut the fuck up.

How much reverb do you need to cover up your mediocre vocals and songs dude? Might wanna tone that shit down a little. I remember when you were on the SP Facebook group telling people that your music is better than anything Billy has done post 2007. In your dreams dude. Lollllll

And seriously those fonts??

If you have the real version of the record, back to school is not on it.

MyKeyZ 10-06-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadaloo (Post 4561998)
Put aside the fact you think the Machinas are a bloated mess, or that you hate modern SP, which is completely beside the point and irrelevant to the comparison.

You're missing the point; I'm not saying Machina sounds like Adore, that's an oversimplification. What I'm saying is that Adore's soundscapes informed what was to come. Look at stuff like Daphne Descends, Crestfallen, Pug. Appels + Oranjes. Then think about The Sacred and Profane, the synth lines in the back of Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers. Look at Home or Innosense. There's synth elements in there and that's a direct result of coming off of Adore.

Sure, Billy tried to go back in a more rock oriented direction, but the time they spent on Adore informed them and by that point they were very comfortable with electronic aspects.

Kinda like how on White Pony or Self-titled we start to shift away from the nu-metal trappings, and start incorporating elements of trip-hop, to serve a simple example. Without that, you don't get, god help me, Pink Cellphone.

If anything, going further beyond that I'd call KNY the album that kind of exemplifies their current musical direction as I think that's a good example of 'metalgaze', or whatever it's being called now. Unlike SP, who tend to sound very different with every release, Deftones make gradual changes as they go.

These things predate Adore and go back to Mellon Collie/AFH era with tracks like Beautiful, We Only Come Out At Night, Love, 1979, Isolation, Destination Unknown where they pushed programmed beats/samples, synths, etc. There's even a synth version of Zero. Adore is just the continuation of the lighter, mellower side of Mellon Collie. Each album felt like a progression from the last up until Machina. Machina tries to take two steps back. Kinda like Ohms.

houseofglass11 10-06-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4562040)
Why are you laughing out loud loud loud loud loud loud, you thick as pigshit moron?

Do you remember on that facebook group several people chiming in and saying gimme TMD over any pumpkins from the last 10 years?

There's 10% wet, two second reverb on my vocals, you utter cunt.

What are these fonts youre talking about, you abject little shit?

P. S,
I love you.

Please use more expletives it really gets your point across. Those people must be fucking deaf. Lolllllll

It’s funny how totally risible -you- are. I would never listen to your band based on artwork alone. Just dreadful. I know this will really get under your skin too. You’re really gonna stew about this for a while. My work is done here.

MyKeyZ 10-06-2020 11:37 PM

I wouldn't call White Pony nu-metal. Their earlier stuff, yes. The label forced them to make Back To School, a track that forces a nu metal sound that was missing from WP, after the album was released. The real White Pony album is the un-label molested version sans Back To School. It was a slimy label move to make the album seem nu metal when it really wasn't. There is no rap rock on the real White Pony. White Pony is where Deftones perfected their own sound and no other band has matched it. I'm sure the hardcore rap rock nu metal kids who first heard Back To School would've been disappointed thinking that's the style of the album. It's kinda the Ava Adore of White Pony, but tacked on after the fact.

smashingjj 10-07-2020 07:00 AM

:hanging:

Shadaloo 10-09-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKeyZ (Post 4562035)
These things predate Adore and go back to Mellon Collie/AFH era with tracks like Beautiful, We Only Come Out At Night, Love, 1979, Isolation, Destination Unknown where they pushed programmed beats/samples, synths, etc. There's even a synth version of Zero. Adore is just the continuation of the lighter, mellower side of Mellon Collie. Each album felt like a progression from the last up until Machina. Machina tries to take two steps back. Kinda like Ohms.

There's synth work, yes, but the presence of a synth alone isn't indicative of a cohesive direction. You don't get to something like Home without going through stuff like Tear or Pug first. It's about the way that they put them together, and yes, you can trace the journey to Adore from the elements introduced in MCIS. That's obvious.

Put it this way: Could you picture 'Home' or 'The Sacred + Profane' on MCIS? Answer is nope.

FoolofaTook 10-09-2020 02:20 PM

What if I answer yes? What then?

Shadaloo 10-09-2020 08:17 PM

Joey Goldberg 10-10-2020 11:33 PM

can't we just randomly compare it to Deftones like y'all have for some reason been doin' over the last 4-5 pages in this thread? seems like a good time

Shadaloo 10-29-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4562411)
WOCOAT

We Only Come Out At Tights?

Anyway, I'm really looking at this more in terms of like production. Yeah, MCIS is such a sprawling album that any of their songs could have been on it in theory, but my point was about how things sound and feel as opposed to the song structure - even if they were, they would have sounded different.

Anyway I finally fucking got my LP of ohms in the mail yesterday with the zine whooo

FlamingGlobes 11-03-2020 07:06 PM

Hot take:

Ohms sucked.

Come. At. Me.

FlamingGlobes 11-03-2020 07:07 PM

Took, pls.

No, I mean, Took pls come at me.

Come at me.

FlamingGlobes 11-03-2020 07:08 PM

FlamingGlobes 11-03-2020 07:44 PM

Ok sucked is a bit of hyperb0lly but this thing did not rock me like I needed it to.

I would compare it to Fargo S4. It's fine on its own merits, but I waited so long for this?

FlamingGlobes 11-03-2020 08:20 PM

Season 4

of Fargo

Feat. Chris Rock