Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

buzzard 03-16-2019 09:50 PM

Yeah, I can't think of anything that better facilitates the evacuation of undigested foodstuffs.

yo soy el mejor 03-17-2019 08:26 AM

i enrolled in my spring and summer classes.

since i only took 3 classes last quarter cause i was working and planning a wedding, i made up for it by enrolling in 5 classes (20 credit hours) for spring.

the summer quarter is also ten weeks, but there are more intense summer 1 and summer 2 sessions that are 5 weeks. i will be taking 1 online class in the first session and an online and in-person class in session 2.

just give me the damn degree already.

FlamingGlobes 03-17-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4503068)
animals always go out so violently. one moment they're fine, then the worst happens. all of a sudden, zero warning. it's hard to imagine how badly it hurts. sorry globes.

Thank you. Yeah, it's one of those things you know and think you're prepared for, but you never can be.

Disco King 03-17-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4502898)
like buzzard said: the same fucking day?

the message would be outrageous no matter when, but he's apparently blissfully unaware of concepts like basic decency?

Even Trump would at least tweet out a diplomatic and reasonable message before going off script and complaining about "the Muslims" in some rally or interview the following day.

Even Trump.

Disco King 03-17-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4503041)
I had to put my dog down today. Literally feel like a huge chunk of my being is lost forever. :(

I'm very sorry to hear that. I've never had to put down a pet before. I can't imagine how that feels.

Looking at all of his stuff must invoke this horrible, empty ache. :(

Disco King 03-17-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4502998)
As a long-term fan of graphic novels, how necessary do you find all the movies?

I understand that a poor adaptation of a favorite work doesn't detract from the source material in any real sense, but am curious to know if you'd just as happily do without them altogether or whether having them brought to life in film is (at least potentially) some sort of bonus.

If they make a movie and it looks okay, I'm down to see it. But the movies aren't necessary. In fact, I feel like the reason a lot of comic-book fans get so hung up on movies is that having the properties reach a wider audience through a more popular and lucrative medium "legitimizes" their hobby in their mind in some way. Maybe they feel like everybody lining up to see the new Ant-Man film vindicates them for having had an interest in something that, until now, was considered odd or even lame. I don't need movie adaptations to legitimize my interest in comics, and the comics are more important to me than the adaptations. In fact, I kind of cringe when comic-book publishers feel compelled to alter their comic-book properties to match the changes made in film adaptations, or tweak them to make them more adaptable to film. Marvel is especially guilty of this. They run the risk of making the comics nothing more than IP farms, rather than making comics for the sake of comics, and maybe some of those comics being adapted to films if the comic inspires somebody to use their material to make a film for the sake of films (that happens to be based on a comic).

I'd also rather there be no adaptation at all than a bad adaptation, if only because poisoning the brand makes the property toxic to studios until the next reboot cycle, and maybe that ruins the opportunity for somebody else to make a superior adaptation. But I also don't lose sleep over shitty adaptation. The world goes on.

FoolofaTook 03-17-2019 09:15 PM

you don't lose what?

SLEEP

FoolofaTook 03-17-2019 09:17 PM

Mals Marola 03-17-2019 09:37 PM

is that actually Sleep or some trio supergroup featuring members of Primal Scream & The Flaming Lips?

FoolofaTook 03-17-2019 09:46 PM

do you think this is a game?

reprise85 03-18-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4503065)
He could be both incredibly stubborn and relentlessly affectionate when he wanted to.

i'm sorry about your dog :(

FlamingGlobes 03-18-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4503132)
I'm very sorry to hear that. I've never had to put down a pet before. I can't imagine how that feels.

Looking at all of his stuff must invoke this horrible, empty ache. :(

Thank you.

Actually, his stuff is pretty comforting right now. I've been sleeping with the blanket he used to sleep on (the gf washed it first, thanks for asking).

FlamingGlobes 03-18-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4503167)
i'm sorry about your dog :(

Thank you

FlamingGlobes 03-18-2019 10:59 AM

The hard part at this moment is that I used to be able to go pet him or sniff his hair or whatever when I was feeling upset or awful or whatever. Now, he's not there to offer the comfort when I need it the most, ironically.

topleybird 03-18-2019 11:14 AM

I'm really sorry, FG

I lost a dear cat to cancer back in April and felt the same way about her comforting presence; it was really hard

FlamingGlobes 03-18-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topleybird (Post 4503182)
I'm really sorry, FG

I lost a dear cat to cancer back in April and felt the same way about her comforting presence; it was really hard

Thank you, and sorry about your cat.

Fuck cancer so hard.

ilikeplanets 03-18-2019 11:28 AM

Sour 29. Lol.

yo soy el mejor 03-18-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4503184)
Thank you, and sorry about your cat.

Fuck cancer so hard.

The Power of the Dog
Rudyard Kipling, 1865 - 1936

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie—
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find—it’s your own affair—
But … you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long—
So why in—Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

FlamingGlobes 03-18-2019 11:40 AM

^still worth it

yo soy el mejor 03-19-2019 11:49 PM

every time

yo soy el mejor 03-19-2019 11:55 PM

i got an email with 4 proposals (out of 6) from groups (either nonprofit or fiscally sponsored) that my giving council invited to apply for a small grant. each member needs to read them, comment, and write questions that we will discuss at our next meeting. it's a pretty cool council that anyone who identifies as a women can join because it is on a sliding scale according to your income. all funds from members and donations that we solicit go into our pool for grant-making.

i was disappointed that Books for Women in Prison was not a group that we invited to submit a proposal (it didn't get enough votes to move to the next phase), but there are some good ones we have to choose from. I'm most excited about the site visits next month. This is just so much more involved and meaningful than any job I've actually held at a nonprofit. The nonprofit industrial complex is very real.

reprise85 03-20-2019 01:02 AM

sounds cool

Cool As Ice Cream 03-20-2019 09:36 AM

anyone who identifies as a women

FoolofaTook 03-20-2019 10:25 AM

shyly raises hand

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2019 10:51 AM

u wite boiz r 2 much

Cool As Ice Cream 03-20-2019 10:56 AM

that's not backerds

FlamingGlobes 03-20-2019 01:04 PM

It's nice when you work in a "professional" environment and a co-worker comes in visibly drunk on the reg.

#jobsecurity

FoolofaTook 03-20-2019 01:25 PM

When did you start working with Fuzzy?

FoolofaTook 03-20-2019 01:26 PM

FlamingGlobes 03-20-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4503376)
When did you start working with Fuzzy?

More like working on