Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TV thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185717)

vixnix 11-20-2017 10:34 PM

TV thread

What are you watching? Distract me from the brain zaps.

Mindhunter. I finished ep. 1 and I want to go back for more. Has anyone watched this?

Toddlers and Tiaras. Just the best thing that has ever been produced for TV.

ilikeplanets 11-20-2017 10:43 PM

Idiotest because I have a crush on Ben Gleib and he's a savage.

AHS because I have a crush on Evan Peters and he's not a savage but plays one on TV.

Match Game 77 because I am fascinated by how much has changed in what is allowed to be said on TV in 40 years.

teh b0lly!!1 11-20-2017 10:47 PM

there's an abundance of mediocre tv show, and it's getting harder and harder to find the ones that are really worth your time

teh b0lly!!1 11-20-2017 10:48 PM

the whole juvenile obsession with serial killers has maxed itself out sometime in the late 90's but i guess i'll try Mindhunter just cause i don't have anything better to watch

redbreegull 11-20-2017 10:51 PM

have you tried watching lost

redbreegull 11-20-2017 10:51 PM

lmao

redbreegull 11-20-2017 10:52 PM

NOT PENNY'S BOAT!!!

buzzard 11-20-2017 10:52 PM

People Just Do Nothing is probably the best thing on Netflix.

I did see Mindhunter, but found that it started out with a promise it didn't quite fulfill and soon settles into a fairly predictable monster-of-the-week sort of format where the overarching narrative is essentially the summarized Wikipedia entries of famous killers.

Ram27 11-20-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4396305)
What are you watching? Distract me from the brain zaps.

Mindhunter. I finished ep. 1 and I want to go back for more. Has anyone watched this?

Toddlers and Tiaras. Just the best thing that has ever been produced for TV.

i've mostly been watching movies lately. big lebowski about 20 times in the last few weeks

hope your brain's okay. what's causing the zaps?

teh b0lly!!1 11-20-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4396312)
have you tried watching lost

i just watched the first episode and it was awesome. so stoked for next episodes. hope it keeps up with this level!

FoolofaTook 11-20-2017 10:55 PM

You can never watch too much Big Lebowski.

Have you seen Barton Fink. They made it after Lebowski, which followed Fargo. I think that was their peak, those three.

FoolofaTook 11-20-2017 10:56 PM

Teh b0lly are you srs?

And to think I introduced you to Neige... :cry:

teh b0lly!!1 11-20-2017 11:14 PM

no, it was a fucking joke. just like the plot arcs in the show.

FoolofaTook 11-20-2017 11:16 PM

Ok thank god

buzzard 11-20-2017 11:19 PM

Lost really stepped it up a level when they introduced the character of Billy, the super muscular and overconfident seventeen-year-old. He stole peoples' girlfriends, was a drinking-game pro and drove a black Camaro.

His influence upon the plot was without parallel.

FoolofaTook 11-20-2017 11:21 PM

Damn I wish I was this Billy. His life sounds without compare.

redbreegull 11-20-2017 11:22 PM

WE HAVE TO GO BACK KATE

teh b0lly!!1 11-20-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4396334)
Lost really stepped it up a level when they introduced the character of Billy, the super muscular and overconfident seventeen-year-old. He stole peoples' girlfriends, was a drinking-game pro and drove a black Camaro.

His influence upon the plot was without parallel.

i have zero recollection of that but i'm not sure if you're being ironic or if the show was really just that bad

reprise85 11-20-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4396311)
the whole juvenile obsession with serial killers has maxed itself out sometime in the late 90's but i guess i'll try Mindhunter just cause i don't have anything better to watch

I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed, but I've heard the first episode is not as good as the rest of it. IDK, I agree that most serial killer obsession shows are bad, but there are interesting things about serial killers that still interest me. For example this university list (http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc%..._timelines.htm) of serial killers and the timelines of their killings plus info about each killer that are scientifically correlated or just thought to possibly be correlated with serial killing, such as birth order, triad behavior (fire-starting/bed-wetting/torturing animals), first sexual experience, if they served in the armed forces, if they had XYY genomes, age at first kill, and traumatic event history. also records idiosyncratic information like if they mutilated or posed bodies, had overkill, if and how they tried to hide their crimes, etc

i like the data richness aspect even though the kind of shock and awe of what serial killers are capable of is not so interesting to me anymore.

vixnix 11-21-2017 12:20 AM

I nearly didn't watch it because I'm sick of both serial killer procedurals and period dramas and this is both.

The writing is really clumsy but it's interesting for a mainstream Netflix format and I wonder if it's going to get better. If people have watched and it doesn't get better though, I'd like to save myself the time. I get the feeling it wants to tackle a period of cultural change, similar to how Mad Men did.

TV is getting weird. Still haven't watched the second season of Stranger Things. I really feel like that should have been a 1 season show because it was starting to unravel even by the end of that.

At least with Toddlers and Tiaras I know what I'm going to get.

teh b0lly!!1 11-21-2017 12:24 AM

i feel like there used to be more emphasis on trying to make very high quality shows - Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, GoT, etc...

but now it's much more about sheer quantity, there's a ridiculous amount of shows out there but very very few of them are actually great

redbreegull 11-21-2017 12:26 AM

Golden Age of TV has peaked and is now in decline

redbreegull 11-21-2017 12:34 AM

I don't even watch tv I'm just talking. I feel like after the new twin peaks there is nothing left for art or the human imagination to accomplish or conceive of

reprise85 11-21-2017 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4396373)
i feel like there used to be more emphasis on trying to make very high quality shows - Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, GoT, etc...

but now it's much more about sheer quantity, there's a ridiculous amount of shows out there but very very few of them are actually great

breaking bad, GoT were not that long ago but imo they aren't golden age anyway. but i couldnt get into GoT and breaking bad i liked a lot but it is not in the same tier as sopranos and the wire.

the only contemporaneous show that i watch that i think is great and could be god tier if they end it right next season is the americans. ya'll should get on that show if you haven't yet. they're already ahead of the curve by not trying to drag it out forever. it is a great show, a little confusing because there are many subplots and some take episodes to wrap up while some go on for several seasons, and the characters wear disguises and act as different people during spying activities and all kinds of stuff that can get confusing. but there's a lots of sites that 'review' episodes and can clear things up if anything is unclear.

ilikeplanets 11-21-2017 01:02 AM

oooooh a new serial killer show on netflix?! yaaaaay

beats watching Family Feud for 10 hours a day. Seriously why does that show air so much?

ilikeplanets 11-21-2017 12:32 PM

NVM that show sucks

vixnix 11-21-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4396373)

All those shows were a perfect storm of a writer coming into their best and most inspired form, and the right collaborators being available, I reckon.

It can and will happen again but it just isn't something that can be manufactured...it's like any other creative venture I guess.

It sucks being a pleb and waiting around for the next thing though. I mean, hurry up already.

FlamingGlobes 11-21-2017 05:55 PM

Black Jesus on Hulu. It's fucking great.

FlamingGlobes 11-21-2017 05:55 PM

FlamingGlobes 11-21-2017 05:58 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles finding things to watch in this supposed golden age. I feel like the scales have tipped towards quantity over quality these last few years as Netflix races to have the most original content possible. I mean, do we really need a fucking Jason Bateman-led Breaking Bad knock-off? Or fucking Flaked? Who is that for? Haters Back Off? Fuck off!

I'm with Ram. I'm more inclined to watch a movie. I kept track and I watched 36 horror movies (mostly stuff I had never seen before, somehow) in the month of October alone. Because I'm a cool person, that's why.