Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Does anyone else have depression? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=174376)

Dead Frequency 10-03-2011 10:58 PM

I was talking to an army medic whose job is to draw blood to be sent over seas for the wounded. He mentioned that the majority of people he's drawing blood from ate on at least three different kind of psych meds. While I do understand where you're coming from trots, you are doing what you're accusing others of doing. For example will you deny the prescription drug problem that has been perpetuated by the FDA and pharmaceutical companies? Will you deny that corporate greed supersedes social welfare?

Eulogy 10-03-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769672)
no, i think the capitalist powers-that-be determine cultural values, it's a pretty basic communist concept

it's not a deliberate conspiracy theory, it's more of a general collective direction of culture by the means of production.

why would capitalist powers-that-be want to reduce the amount of money flowing into giant corporations?

and i do think you're overestimating the number of anti-meds people out there. no one here is saying medication is never necessary, for one. and people are still taking a whole lot of medications for lots of reasons.

afaik, people, at least of our generation, don't consider taking meds to be a sign of weakness.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3769676)

afaik, people, at least of our generation, don't consider taking meds to be a sign of weakness.

again one man's personal universe trumps reality.

as soon as i started taking prozac i had to endure weird looks and "holy shit! really!??!" from co-workers and "friends" as well as a few lectures about personal responsibility and willpower.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3769676)
why would capitalist powers-that-be want to reduce the amount of money flowing into giant corporations?

Again, this isn't a conscious, deliberate conspiracy, it's culture.

If you don't think the ethos in america is "you can do anything you choose to with willpower, hard work and determination," I suggest you talk to more people than your insulated, upper middle class cadre of liberal buddies.

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769677)
again one man's personal universe trumps reality.

as soon as i started taking prozac i had to endure weird looks and "holy shit! really!??!" from co-workers and "friends" as well as a few lectures about personal responsibility and willpower.

oh that is rich!!!! i love it!!!

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:06 PM

i think out of all those things the condescending look and "Holy shit dude!!?!?! REALLY!??!!" from the one person in the office other than me that is mentally ill was just about the worst.

why doesn't he get treatment? Well because it's all about willpower and he's not crazy every single other person in the universe is out to get him.

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:09 PM

it takes willpower to crawl over broken glass as well but what's the point.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:11 PM

it's just weird how much actual evidence we have that we're not even really in control of our bodies but human consciousness deceives us into thinking we have control over the inner universe.

Duke1497 10-03-2011 11:12 PM

Yes, I suffer from depression and anxiety. My now deceased father was also severely bipolar.

Eulogy 10-03-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769677)
again one man's personal universe trumps reality.

as soon as i started taking prozac i had to endure weird looks and "holy shit! really!??!" from co-workers and "friends" as well as a few lectures about personal responsibility and willpower.

You realize almost all your posts are little more than exteapolations of your personal history to the entire universe, right? You just think your experiences are more valid for whatever reason. Maybe they are. I dunno.

And you really don't know very much about all the people I interact with. Especially the ones who take meds for mental health problems. So.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:15 PM

i was just providing a counterpoint that disproved your entire concept that "this generation doesn't see drugs as weakness"

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:17 PM

ppl are just trying to make rottenugly unable to see the forest for all the trees. me and trotskillicious are showing him the forest. why they do this i don't know. they must be the devil.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:17 PM

well if i thought rottenugly was a real person and not a karl connor troll

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:18 PM

he's real, all those videos of a fourteen year old filming himself in a basement talking like he posts pretty much confirms it for me.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:19 PM

i wonder if he's austrian

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:19 PM

i hear they like to keep children in basements over there

Eulogy 10-03-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769695)
i was just providing a counterpoint that disproved your entire concept that "this generation doesn't see drugs as weakness"

This can be rebutted by simply pointing out the number of people taking these meds.

But that's not as reliable as the looks your coworkers gave you I guess?

Yes, some people are ignorant dicks about it, as is the case with basically everything. But is there some overwhelming cultural disapproval of medications?? People are taking more than ever before. I don't get how you can really make your claims here.

But again, yes, some people will obviously still suck.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3769707)
This can be rebutted by simply pointing out the number of people taking these meds.

Incorrect.


Quote:

Yes, some people are ignorant dicks about it, as is the case with basically everything. But is there some overwhelming cultural disapproval of medications?? People are taking more than ever before.
Here's an example. More americans are fat than ever before. Does that mean america loves and accepts fat people? God no.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:24 PM

it's like chris christie being unelectable because he's too fat in a nation of fat people

tabloids selling mags about kim kardashian's disgusting, out of control cellulite to overweight pearshaped women

it doesn't make logical sense but then again human behavior rarely does

Eulogy 10-03-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769711)
it's like chris christie being unelectable because he's too fat in a nation of fat people

tabloids selling mags about kim kardashian's disgusting, out of control cellulite to overweight pearshaped women

it doesn't make logical sense but then again human behavior rarely does

I think the Christie thing is a myth perpetrated by an image obsessed media but I see what you're saying.

And yeah everyone is image obsessed to a point but I bet a fat dude could get elected now.

bahnzah 10-03-2011 11:31 PM

i think you're mischaracterizing my viewpoint. you know i'm totally not a bootstraps kind of guy. there is no shame in taking medication to treat these issues. but a counselor is certainly going to know if your issue lies outside of the scope of their expertise. and in my opinion that is a pretty logical way to minimize the administration of unnecessary meds.

a medical doctor is only going to be looking at records pertaining to your physiological history and won't know diddly about cognitive behavioral therapy. i would also say that if rottenugly really is a 14 year old kid, there is not much to go by as far as a history of chemical dependency and therefore a medical doctor might miss some red flags that would be obvious to a lmhc.

that's all i'm saying.

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:33 PM

lol at the notion that a counselor certainly will know if an issue lies within or outside their expertice. one might want to continue with therapy without medication for their own egos sake while another might be giving up too quick and immediately send a person to a psychiatrist.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3769715)
I think the Christie thing is a myth perpetrated by an image obsessed media but I see what you're saying.

And yeah everyone is image obsessed to a point but I bet a fat dude could get elected now.

i completely disagree

people view fatness as a character flaw and they would hammer away at that without explicitly, directly making fun of his weight. Leno, Letterman and O'Brien will do the cheap shots for them.

being fat is unelectable period. Bill Clinton wasn't even really close to being as porky as Christie is and he was continuously lampooned for being a fat ass.

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:34 PM

also anti-depressants doesn't cause chemical dependancy, you're confusing these with anti-anxiety drugs like xanax.

bahnzah 10-03-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz (Post 3769723)
lol at the notion that a counselor certainly will know if an issue lies within or outside their expertice. one might want to continue with therapy without medication for their own egos sake while another might be giving up too quick and immediately send a person to a psychiatrist.


it's not exactly like therapists are scrambling for your copay. everyone i try to schedule with is booked solid for the next month.


but i see what you mean.

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:35 PM

with that said there's not much to be lost by trying a newer kind of anti-depressant. the most probably worst case scenario is that there's no effect at all.

Trotskilicious 10-03-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahnzah (Post 3769718)
i think you're mischaracterizing my viewpoint. you know i'm totally not a bootstraps kind of guy. there is no shame in taking medication to treat these issues. but a counselor is certainly going to know if your issue lies outside of the scope of their expertise. and in my opinion that is a pretty logical way to minimize the administration of unnecessary meds.

a medical doctor is only going to be looking at records pertaining to your physiological history and won't know diddly about cognitive behavioral therapy. i would also say that if rottenugly really is a 14 year old kid, there is not much to go by as far as a history of chemical dependency and therefore a medical doctor might miss some red flags that would be obvious to a lmhc.

that's all i'm saying.

i just grow weary of junior psychologists spreading this "medication is handed out like candy" myth that makes people taking meds feel bad or w/e.

agenda suicide 10-03-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769640)
How do you know that?



The only reason you'd think that is because you have no concept of what bipolar disorder is.

I think that because I've seen it happen.

dean_r_koontz 10-03-2011 11:42 PM

yeah i'm sick of it too, it's like, why is this even brought up in a thread like this. these pills are generally not very intrusive. if you took a healthy person from the street and gave them some wellbutrin, they'd most likely feel no different from before they took the medication, they could quit without any problems and they would at worst get a dry mouth or have a bit harder time taking a dump during the treatment. it's better that these medications are overpresribed than under prescribed.

bahnzah 10-03-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769729)
i just grow weary of junior psychologists spreading this "medication is handed out like candy" myth that makes people taking meds feel bad or w/e.

i know. it's a bummer man.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022