Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Daniel Johns- FutureNever (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188931)

wHATcOLOR 04-22-2022 02:36 PM

Daniel Johns- FutureNever

just came out.

songs i like on the first couple trips through it:

where do we go?
cocaine killa
i feel electric
emergency calls only
those thieving birds pt. 3 (sort of. i don’t love the song on its own merits but the continuation / recasting of the theme from young modern is pretty cool)

not really enjoying the back half of the album to be honest but there are some really good songs up front

wHATcOLOR 04-24-2022 03:34 PM

upon further listening i've decided i like where do we go and i feel electric the most

smashingjj 04-24-2022 05:46 PM

how does it compare to other post punk albums for instance parachutes by Coldplay? a song by song comparison, perhaps?

wHATcOLOR 04-24-2022 06:24 PM

hmm. i might need to tag in Catherine Wheel on that one

Joey Goldberg 04-26-2022 10:09 AM

who's the "douche nozzle" 1-starring all of these threads

slunken 04-26-2022 08:23 PM

i called it (not here) that when the podcast came out it was just a promo tool for an upcoming album

look - i love freak show way too much

this album fucking sucks. i'm not new to this. Dan is a bitch and a crybaby and a drug addict.

slunken 04-26-2022 08:27 PM

he thinks he's the next brian wilson but i don't understand how anyone outside of austrailia even begins to think thats true

slunken 04-26-2022 08:29 PM

if he's such a great "composer" why does van dyke parks do all his composing and that other guy he's friends with do all his piano melodies?

daniel wants to be something that he's not. it sucks and i hate it.

slunken 04-26-2022 08:30 PM

congratulations daniel your album sounds like something eggy white made in his mom's basement

fuck this sucks so hard

wHATcOLOR 04-26-2022 08:39 PM

did you hate each and every song, or was there one you didn't hate?

slunken 04-27-2022 08:54 PM

i felt 2nd hand embarassment the entire way through

slunken 04-27-2022 08:55 PM

too bad he can't enjoy his album coming out because isn't he in rehab for a drunk driving incident

i want to love daniel but he sucks so hard and his head is way too far up his own ass

slunken 04-27-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4592333)
did you hate each and every song, or was there one you didn't hate?

look i'm a guy who LOVES straight lines

slunken 04-28-2022 05:25 PM

but don't get me wrong. a new "silverchair" album probably would have sucked just as hard. I'm just so sick and tired of these "lightning in a bottle" moron lead singers thinking they're better than what made them famous. like how huge is your ego to not realize where your bread is buttered?

there's no way in hell dan looks at his solo career and is happy about it.

slunken 04-28-2022 05:26 PM

i remember listening to neon ballroom over and over again trying to convince myself that maybe it was good

wHATcOLOR 04-30-2022 03:25 PM

oh man, you must have hated diorama huh?

it's all so subjective and no amount of discussion is going to alter how anyone feels about music i think

but what's becoming clear to me is that probably the most important factor in how well an artist's new work is received by someone is the expectations that person has

there have been numerous records where i really wanted it to sound a certain way. just based on previous work, i hoped for some evolution, but still wanted it to have some of the elements that really got my blood moving.

and if it didn't follow whatever i had hoped for, even if those hopes were ill-defined or not even well understood, it sucked. i basically hated it the whole thing, my disappointment precluded any enjoyment of the handful of songs that might've actually been good.

but i've found if i return to it several years later, as a somewhat different person, plus having being disillusioned with that artist (and therefore having either lowered expectations or having let go of any expectations) -- i'm able to enjoy the merits to it that were there all along.

bloc party was that way for me. loved the first two, then they started to get pretty uneven. some lovely songs, some obnoxious noise. by the time the lineup changed and they did hymns though, i fucking hated it. pissed me off the drummer was gone, annoyed me some of the songs had this religious tone, seemed like the whole album was crap.

randomly returned to it a few months ago, i like maybe 1/3 of the songs a lot. maybe even half. the other half still blow, can't listen to them. but it was nice to let go of the expectations i apparently had, because there's some good songs in there.

in daniel johns' case.. hell yeah, silverchair was the shit. funny you mention neon ballroom that way, that was the album for me where i thought, ok wow this guy's got a lot more range than he's shown before and i was really enthused. diorama was a leap for me in places, but was just really impressed with the ambition and uniqueness of it.

the disassociatives i found annoying and still do. his first solo album... i wanted to like it, but only 1 or 2 songs i'd bother with, and rarely.

this album... i don't know man. the whole back half of it, i really don't care about and don't like. but in the first set of songs, really dig some of them.

one of the issues i often have is music i like doesn't work well if it were played in a group setting. not well suited for a party or gathering. but i could play "i feel electric" in any setting and everyone would be feeling it.

thank you for coming to my ted talk

Joey Goldberg 05-02-2022 11:35 AM

i liked Neon Ballroom & their best of quite a bit when I dove (or rather, stuck my toe in) their discog like 5 or 6 yrs ago, though even then I found some parts kinda contrived. Forgivable since I know the dudes were so young, comparatively - but then again, Supergrass pulled off In it for the Money when they were like 19 so maybe they don't deserve a pass after all!

slunken 05-03-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4592492)
oh man, you must have hated diorama huh?

in daniel johns' case.. hell yeah, silverchair was the shit. funny you mention neon ballroom that way, that was the album for me where i thought, ok wow this guy's got a lot more range than he's shown before and i was really enthused. diorama was a leap for me in places, but was just really impressed with the ambition and uniqueness of it.

i get that 100%. i was so stoked for emotion sickness and satin sheets and do you feel the same.

yea i did not like diorama at all. it struck me as someone trying to be someone that he's not, and I get that feeling today. I truly believe Dan is not the genius he believes he is.

don't get me wrong, i think it's cool he fucked around and experimented with different things but ultimately he forgot where his bread was buttered and his head got stuck up his own ass.

i kind of do/kind of don't believe all that anxiety/ptsd/stress/trauma talk. sounds like lead singer syndrome to me. his dumb drummer and dumb bass player would have been on board to play on whatever record he made no matter what.

maybe there's some behind the scenes stuff we're not privvy to but it seems like they were just left out in the cold.

i think he started experimenting because he found people more talented than him. armchair quarterback time -> he should have just made paul mac a permanenet member of the band.

i don't buy all this shit about "i was afraid to show the band the new material". they would have sufficed. it's just bass and fucking drums.

but as soon as i saw all the features on this new record my first thought was "oh no". that just signals "needed other people to write the song"

slunken 05-03-2022 10:39 PM

like all the "cool guitar" parts you hear on the new album i 100% believe that's the only stuff daniel played

i think it's cool he's a recluse and doesn't play live and stuff but i don't like the narrative he's trying to spin that he's some musical brian jones genius.

he's just a drunk that used to be in silverchair and hates it

slunken 05-03-2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4592492)

thank you for coming to my ted talk

no this is fun!

slunken 05-03-2022 10:41 PM

straight lines was a fucking great song but let's be honest at the time it was discount justin timberlake which is good enough for australia

slunken 05-03-2022 10:44 PM

he said on the podcast he hated this performance because his voice was shot from cigarettes and partying but i thought it was good

more shitty to learn was that he didn't write the song, and it was written while he was in the depths of his drug/booze addiction

so like all this time i thought it was a cool song about sobriety but no. Not at all.

so his only single was a) not written by him and b) not written about him

slunken 05-03-2022 10:49 PM

still love the song tho

slunken 05-03-2022 10:54 PM

fuck that goes off no hater can disagree

wHATcOLOR 05-04-2022 12:51 AM

hold on -- what do you mean he didn't write straight lines? i remember a part in that podcast where natalie imbruglia was like.. "you deserve to write a big pop song, you've earned it" -- what am i missing?

edit: i just looked up on wikipedia, it was cowritten with someone.

i honestly didn't mind the features and cowriting stuff on the solo album. the girl on i feel electric very much makes the song better

the co-writer stuff, i don't know man it doesn't really bother me.. it seems like for whatever reason he didn't feel he was getting proper support from the guys in his band, i think it's got to be nice to have some collaboration. (that said, the DREAMS stuff was just junk, and i've never really liked the stuff paul mac brings to the party). but the van dykes park stuff, for example, he clearly gets a lot of healthy things from that friendship

also--- come on, you cannot be saying his voice is good in that video? starting around 1:30 i mean, it's nice before that, but after that... good lord it's mostly painful to listen to.

i had tickets to see them on this tour, it was at this pretty small place in san francisco.. and they canceled because he was having voice issues.. and they rescheduled for a date i was unable to make and i always felt like i missed out, i really wanted to see them live.

wHATcOLOR 05-04-2022 12:52 AM

this has been in my top 10 personal favorite videos on youtube since youtube existed... i remember downloading an .MPEG in college (like 2001?) of this performance.

wHATcOLOR 05-04-2022 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4592714)
i get that 100%. i was so stoked for emotion sickness and satin sheets and do you feel the same.

yeah those are each excellent

wHATcOLOR 05-04-2022 03:12 AM

c'mon slunken, you gotta at least move your head a little when the chorus to "where do we go?" comes on, with that thick guitar and that fuzzed out voice

slunken 05-04-2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4592736)

i honestly didn't mind the features and cowriting stuff on the solo album. the girl on i feel electric very much makes the song better

purplegirl is his niece. just a fun fact. an album full of features screams of "i needed help and support making this album" though.

Quote:

the co-writer stuff, i don't know man it doesn't really bother me.. it seems like for whatever reason he didn't feel he was getting proper support from the guys in his band, i think it's got to be nice to have some collaboration. (that said, the DREAMS stuff was just junk, and i've never really liked the stuff paul mac brings to the party). but the van dykes park stuff, for example, he clearly gets a lot of healthy things from that friendship

"proper support from the guys in his band" is trash to me. they play bass and drums. theyve been on record saying "yea we would love to be working with daniel again"

i hated that whole bit in the podcast where he was pissed at the guys because he was spazzing out and he felt like they were leeches who just wanted a paycheck. like "no shit" dude. you invented a money machine and you're being a big baby.

van dykes park is just cashing a check. you think he gives a fuck? some moron is like "i want to sound like the beach boys era pet sounds" and he's just like "okay"

Quote:

also--- come on, you cannot be saying his voice is good in that video? starting around 1:30 i mean, it's nice before that, but after that... good lord it's mostly painful to listen to.

yea it sounds like shit that's what i like about it. it feels real. (but to be honest it doesn't sound "bad" to me)

Quote:

i had tickets to see them on this tour, it was at this pretty small place in san francisco.. and they canceled because he was having voice issues.. and they rescheduled for a date i was unable to make and i always felt like i missed out, i really wanted to see them live.

i'd love to see him live too. seems like he's pretty much just an alcoholic recluse these days (not throwing shade).

To summarize, i just 100% do not believe Dan is the artistic genius he thinks he is. No way even close. He's an interesting figure for sure, but I'm really saddened to see the route he's taken.

Thank you for listening, your brother in Christ - s

slunken 05-04-2022 08:18 PM

i love how it's 2022 on netphoria and suddenly there's a discussion about "you want to talk shit about silverchair, dude??"

i'm elated