Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Weezer - Tired of Sex (Tracking Rough)/Pinkerton (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188496)

Raskolnikov 03-13-2021 03:43 AM

Weezer - Tired of Sex (Tracking Rough)/Pinkerton

I've had the Pinkerton deluxe 2 CD thing for years, but don't know if I have ever heard this version. Damn shame because this thing blew my mind tonight when it came up on shuffle. So much so I decided it's time to give this thing it's own thread.

Great song - possibly even greater version of this song here than on the album (?!) - greatest Weezer album.

soniclovenoize 03-13-2021 09:40 AM

Weird, I was revisiting Pinkerton & related recently, upgrading my Songs From The Black Hole reconstruction for my blog. While I absolutely love the drum sound from the album version, as a whole, this early version is a bit tighter. It's p cool.

Raskolnikov 03-14-2021 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4576219)
Songs From The Black Hole

Hadn't heard of this until I spied some folks in the comment section of the Rough one saying that the Black Hole version is better. (They're wrong - album one and that one up there trump it)

What's the lowdown on Songs from the Black Hole? Anything of note on there?

soniclovenoize 03-14-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raskolnikov (Post 4576238)
Hadn't heard of this until I spied some folks in the comment section of the Rough one saying that the Black Hole version is better. (They're wrong - album one and that one up there trump it)

What's the lowdown on Songs from the Black Hole? Anything of note on there?

Long story short, Songs From The Black Hole was originally supposed to be the follow-up to The Blue Album. It was a true rock opera like Tommy or Jesus Christ Super Star, in that the dialog would be sung and generally contained within the songs itself. The plot was basically a love triangle between three astronauts on a spaceship, but would be an allegory of River's uncertainty about suddenly being famous, as well as his own personal commitment/Mommy issues. There would have been different vocalists for the different charters.

"Tired of Sex", "Getchoo", "No Other One" and "Why Bother?" were all originally supposed to be in it, as well as b-sides "Devotion", "Waiting On You", "You Gave Your Love To Me Softly" and "I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams." Additionally some of the pretty good unreleased songs from that era-- "Blast Off!", "You Won't Get With Me Tonight", and "Longtime Sunshine", and some short linking tracks that tie things together.

Rivers eventually abandoned the concept because it was silly and too difficult to execute, and instead came up with the concept of Pinkerton, salvaging those first four songs from SFTBH. The concept lives on in legend and in rough demo form of most of it.

FlamingGlobes 04-08-2021 11:17 AM

This would've been a great candidate for the DIDJA KNOW? thread

Rest in pies, fuzzy.

FlamingGlobes 04-08-2021 11:18 AM

You could make a whole other album out of all the Pinkerton leftovers that would be almost as good as the original album itself. Or, a version of Pinkerton that exceeds the 30-minute mark.