Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Why are o-boarders so damn ugly? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=171031)

DiscoJon 08-19-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rub_the_y (Post 3642348)
Just as a side note, you should really be careful that your website Alex Boyd Photography doesn't link you to here as kahlo, or to the smashing pumpkins forum as machinist or deathsongkids or any of the other personas you made. All it would take is a few screendumps of all of the horrible and insensitive things you've ever said to or about anyone, emailed to someone at the Dewar Awards, or the Scottish Parliament, or the Irvine Times, to have you publicly shamed and lose any credibility or accolades you've already received. I hope for your sake that you haven't upset or annoyed someone enough for them to want to retaliate.

TAKE IT UP WITH THE PARLIAMENT OF SCOTLAND!!!

Cool As Ice Cream 08-19-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rub_the_y (Post 3642351)
You'd be surprised at Australian ethics legislation. There's a real reason why people always say never trust anyone on the internet and to not post private details, particularly on public messageboards and in publicly available chats.

i'm not necessarily talking ethics and law. i just don't understand why a university would consider a "test" like this valuable. i call bullshit.

also, you say that kahlo has to be careful about real life people finding out about what he said on here, but surely, if you were really doing a phd, you'd have to illustrate where you went doing these "tests", what situations you've set up, etc. and they could easily check up on that and then also see what you've been saying. i don't think you can defend everything you've posted or done. some things just don't fit under the "it's for my phd" cover.

rub_the_y 08-19-2010 07:26 AM

You can't see why anyone would find the idea of revealing information about a persona on the internet, to be valuable? Really?
Australian legislation has a really poor take on internet security, particularly regarding identity theft and fraud, not to mention internet predatory activities concerning minors. By setting up several different scenarios where one would be encouraged to divulge private information, such as birth dates, names, addresses, email addresses, contact phone numbers etc. I was setting out to demonstrate where legislation is lacking, what psychological techniques and measures were taken, and what the consequences of it could be, particularly in an online community where the population was not bound by the laws of that country. Every single thing has been logged and documented. Every single conversation, every board message, every blog entry, every single profile detailing personal information - not only logged, but purposeful in setting up required scenarios. You can disbelieve whatever you like but the people I mentioned previously would have a much better idea about being coerced into divulging their own personal information to "Tania", people who all said they didn't know if they could trust her and that she seemed to have a premeditated agenda with everything she said, but gave their information out anyway.

Cool As Ice Cream 08-19-2010 07:31 AM

and that's your phd?

i think i'm getting one too then. will look good on my cv.

soniclovenoize 08-19-2010 07:47 AM

http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0052.gif

Shallowed 08-19-2010 07:53 AM

A quote from cellarlily on the oboard (aka spidersoma) I find puts things into perspective:

Quote:

Psychology Experimentation Notes:

"After 3 years of intense research in the field, I have come to the conclusion that people on messageboards are stupid because they didn't know I was lying to them all along. Conclusion: people are susceptible to liars even when given clues contrary to the truth.

PS: Why are they all so ugly?"

I could tell you that after 3 minutes of experimentation in the "field."
Also,

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...d/stfu28ce.gif

But really, please don't. You're insane, and it's hilarious. :)

rub_the_y 08-19-2010 08:26 AM

I got paid a sizeable amount for doing it, and he's just butthurt that he was betrayed so he feels validated in taking the merit out of it.
Poor Daniel Johnson.
Don't worry Danny, I'll come to Austin next week and let you show me a good time kayaking, doing karaoke and meeting your dog sisters who also love wildlife. I might even bring some of my herbs over and we can have a blast listening to music from the music capital of the country.

Astur 08-19-2010 08:42 AM

uhm wasn't this thread about making fun of a mormon website or something

thefinalcoda 08-19-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rub_the_y (Post 3642348)
I'm a 42 year old male, married with 2 children, and have just completed my PhD in Community Psychology.

1. You're 42, and you only just completed your PhD? Congrats, bro...

2. Now that you've completed your PhD, what is the purpose in returning to the messageboards to be spiteful?

3. Would you be able to provide documentation to support the existence of this project, now that it is apparently not a matter of strict confidence?

rub_the_y 08-19-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefinalcoda (Post 3642374)
1. You're 42, and you only just completed your PhD? Congrats, bro...

2. Now that you've completed your PhD, what is the purpose in returning to the messageboards to be spiteful?

3. Would you be able to provide documentation to support the existence of this project, now that it is apparently not a matter of strict confidence?

1. Cheers. Some of us take longer than others to do things, I'm sure you can relate. You're in second year law at age 25, remember.
2. I'm insane, clearly.
3. Sure, once it's published electronically.

thefinalcoda 08-19-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rub_the_y (Post 3642379)
1. Cheers. Some of us take longer than others to do things, I'm sure you can relate. You're in second year law at age 25, remember.
2. I'm insane, clearly.
3. Sure, once it's published electronically.

1. Half of my papers for this semester are third year, and the other half are fourth. I am also doing a conjoint degree in Commerce, of which I have completed two years.

2. Yes, it was a rhetorical question.

3. It seems unlikely that the only relevant document is the final published copy.

Cool As Ice Cream 08-19-2010 09:32 AM

looking forward to this publication, in a corgan-promise way: you know it will never happen.

soniclovenoize 08-19-2010 09:39 AM

http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0052.gif

The plot's getting good now.

Kahlo 08-19-2010 10:14 AM

No it isn't. She totally jumped the shark.

Kahlo 08-19-2010 10:15 AM

SUPRISE TWIST RUB_THE_Y IS QUINTO!

lucid_interval 08-19-2010 10:19 AM

give those archive tapes back quinto!!

Kahlo 08-19-2010 10:51 AM

The crazy must continue

MyBigToe 08-19-2010 11:52 AM

I had to return, just to say Bravo to tania.

For being the craziest motherfucker of all time

soniclovenoize 08-19-2010 06:42 PM

Alright, show's over folks! Looks like they solved their differences via PM.

rub_the_y 08-19-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBigToe (Post 3642418)
I had to return, just to say Bravo to tania.
For being the craziest motherfucker of all time

Thanks Andy! She really is a work of art. How's that social phobia of yours going? You go outside more often or are you still afraid you'll get beaten up again?

Mo 08-19-2010 07:56 PM

Stop embarrassing yourself.

rub_the_y 08-19-2010 08:43 PM

But it's oh so fun...

Ok, I will stop. No one likes being showed up for being incredibly dim, even if that person is, apparently, me. Tania's going to commit suicide now, once and for all. She's been so publicly humiliated that she no longer sees any point in living.

You kids have fun, and be careful about what you tell anyone on the internet, you never know which crazy motherfucker you'll encounter.

soniclovenoize 08-19-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rub_the_y (Post 3642525)
But it's oh so fun...

Ok, I will stop. No one likes being showed up for being incredibly dim, even if that person is, apparently, me. Tania's going to commit suicide now, once and for all. She's been so publicly humiliated that she no longer sees any point in living.

You kids have fun, and be careful about what you tell anyone on the internet, you never know which crazy motherfucker you'll encounter.

Wait! Am I in your thesis?

Trotskilicious 08-19-2010 10:29 PM

rub the v has been every controversial newbie in the last 3 years.

aaronius maximus? all. for. the. project.

Kahlo 08-20-2010 02:00 AM

stop giving her credit.

Kahlo 08-20-2010 04:23 AM

Probably a good time to point out that DiscoJon is also Tania