Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When was the last time an actual rock (any kind) or metal band got famous? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187844)

Squish Squash 04-11-2020 06:33 PM

When was the last time an actual rock (any kind) or metal band got famous?

Like I said in another thread, I've noticed a disgusting trend in the 2010s in which bands have a very hard time getting recognition. There were still some big rock, metal, and alternative bands in the 2000s, of course, but even then it wasn't like it was in the 90s. So as for the thread title, who is it?

smashingjj 04-11-2020 06:54 PM

fuck yeah bro

disgusting!

i want to turn on my radio and hear some ACTUAL music, like, guitars and stuff? not this rap bullshit

Squish Squash 04-11-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4538510)
fuck yeah bro

disgusting!

i want to turn on my radio and hear some ACTUAL music, like, guitars and stuff? not this rap bullshit

I like rap, I just don't listen to it much as I used to, and I feel like the quality of mainstream rap has gone down a lot too tbqh. Sorry if I came off as obnoxious in the OP, I guess it's just frustrating when the music I like used to be popular and I didn't get to experience it.

FoolofaTook 04-11-2020 07:06 PM

i got to experience your dad

Joey Goldberg 04-11-2020 07:21 PM

The Beatles are always popular including in the 2010s so maybe that counts? They're timeless as well so I think it should count

Joey Goldberg 04-11-2020 07:27 PM

4 real tho, you should feel fortunate that rock has essentially returned to the underground considering that it being front & center of the Mainstream Music competition ultimately resulted in Creed, Nickelback & friends. at least now as a grassroots type of movement you're more likely to find something genuinely fun to listen to via Bandcamp or wherever and anything overtly trying to "make it to the big time" in a way that directly effects the music itself is quite easy to siphon out

maybe it'll get biggish again when people are finally tired of everything being produced within an inch of its life & pitch + time correction essentially putting us in an automatable field

Squish Squash 04-11-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg (Post 4538525)
4 real tho, you should feel fortunate that rock has essentially returned to the underground considering that it being front & center of the Mainstream Music competition ultimately resulted in Creed, Nickelback & friends. at least now as a grassroots type of movement you're more likely to find something genuinely fun to listen to via Bandcamp or wherever and anything overtly trying to "make it to the big time" in a way that directly effects the music itself is quite easy to siphon out

maybe it'll get biggish again when people are finally tired of everything being produced within an inch of its life & pitch + time correction essentially putting us in an automatable field

You make some good points here, dude. What modern rock or metal bands would your recommend?

smashingjj 04-11-2020 07:58 PM

The Links

FoolofaTook 04-11-2020 08:24 PM

^^hells yes^^

Joey Goldberg 04-11-2020 08:24 PM

eh, i'm more of a Fine China Superbone man myself!

Joey Goldberg 04-11-2020 08:24 PM

not to mention Fred Cracklin

those boys have a hell of a groundswell beneath them if i've ever seen one

FoolofaTook 04-11-2020 08:30 PM

eh whatever. none of you are in the same league as the mighty mighty GRAVE NEXT DOOR

Joey Goldberg 04-11-2020 09:27 PM

is anyone?

wHATcOLOR 04-11-2020 10:27 PM

The Weekend

myosis 04-12-2020 10:46 AM

what about bands like Twenty One Pilots? I don't really know them but they are quite huge...

Joey Goldberg 04-12-2020 11:06 AM

They’re hip hop w/ live drums

...close enough!

FoolofaTook 04-12-2020 11:31 AM

Now, my dear brothers and sisters, as we commemorate Joseph Smith’s First Vision of the Father and the Son, we felt that it would be appropriate to rejoice together by participating in the Hosanna Shout.

This sacred shout was first given in this dispensation at the dedication of the Kirtland Temple on March 27, 1836. It is now given at the dedication of each temple. It is a sacred tribute to the Father and the Son, symbolizing the reaction of the multitude when the Savior made His triumphal entry into Jerusalem. It also reaffirms what young Joseph experienced that day in the Sacred Grove—namely, that the Father and the Son are two glorified Beings, whom we worship and praise.

I will now demonstrate how the Hosanna Shout is given. As I do, I invite our colleagues in the media to treat this very sacred observance with dignity and respect.

Each one participating takes a clean white handkerchief, holding it by one corner, and waves it while saying in unison, “Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to God and the Lamb,” repeated three times, followed by “Amen, Amen, and Amen.” If you do not have a white handkerchief, you may simply wave your hand.

Brothers and sisters, I now invite you to stand and participate in the Hosanna Shout, following which the “Hosanna Anthem” and “The Spirit of God”1 will be sung.

Upon a signal from the conductor, please join in singing “The Spirit of God.”

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to God and the Lamb.

Amen, Amen, and Amen.

FoolofaTook 04-12-2020 11:32 AM

Joey Goldberg 04-12-2020 11:45 AM

some bozo who doesn't even consider Geek USA "anywhere near" god-tier TSP has no business in a Netphorian RAWK thread

scram, bozo

FoolofaTook 04-12-2020 11:50 AM

FoolofaTook 04-12-2020 11:51 AM

FoolofaTook 04-12-2020 09:23 PM

If you do not have a white handkerchief, you may simply wave your hand.

Shadaloo 04-14-2020 06:33 PM

I think the real answer to this is Imagine Dragons and that saddens me

Squish Squash 04-14-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadaloo (Post 4539195)

I think you might be right.

FoolofaTook 04-14-2020 07:14 PM

When was the last time getting famous mattered to anyone who isn't a complete douchebag?

myosis 04-14-2020 07:15 PM

yeah that was the other popular band I was thinking of, but from what I heard of them they don't really sound like rock, as much as Twenty One Pilots?
I mean the songs had no hint of a rock beat.

FlamingGlobes 04-15-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squish Squash (Post 4538505)
Like I said in another thread, I've noticed a disgusting trend in the 2010s in which bands have a very hard time getting recognition. There were still some big rock, metal, and alternative bands in the 2000s, of course, but even then it wasn't like it was in the 90s. So as for the thread title, who is it?

FlamingGlobes 04-15-2020 07:30 AM

No way this guy isn't fuzzy.

Eulogy 04-15-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadaloo (Post 4539195)

Yeaaahhhh this is probably right. I was gonna suggest joy formidable but then I remembered that I hugged all of them and my husband got into the green room after I saw them last lol. Not very famous.

toase 04-15-2020 09:10 AM

wasn't the last tool album number 1 or something?