Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

ilikeplanets 06-26-2023 06:13 PM

Practice your stick spins

ilikeplanets 06-26-2023 06:14 PM

Your drum stick spins

slunken 06-26-2023 07:13 PM

no definitely beat off

Ram27 06-26-2023 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg (Post 4627929)
i mean depending on the era that's most certainly not WJWD but I think you're making the right choice

if it ain't too hot out there you should just explore the surroundings

must spread rep

thank you fellows for replying as always. gig went down a storm, the band before us was this really pretty jazzy post rock duo, i bought a cassette from them. we played our set to maybe 10? people but people seemed into it, compliments and all. it's trippy how you can see their faces in a small room

Ram27 06-26-2023 11:26 PM

i did jerk off too

phang 06-27-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4627948)
thank you fellows for replying as always. gig went down a storm, the band before us was this really pretty jazzy post rock duo, i bought a cassette from them. we played our set to maybe 10? people but people seemed into it, compliments and all. it's trippy how you can see their faces in a small room

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4627949)
i did jerk off too

kinda brave in front of 10 people, i dig it

Disco King 06-27-2023 04:35 PM

So, I'm recently unemployed. I would prefer part-time work because I am working on my thesis and will also be teaching tutorials as a teaching assistant in the Fall Semester. I am comfortable working full-time until the end of summer, but once September hits, I don't believe I'll be able to finish my thesis work on time or be able to get to the university to run tutorials if I have to work full time.

But because unemployed people can't be picky in this economy, I've been applying for both full- and part-time jobs. I had a screening interview today for a job.

I feel like if I admit that I won't be working full-time from September to December, I won't get hired because they'll look for somebody who meets their requirements.

But I also feel like if I spring it on them later and either have to quit/get fired two months into a job after they've given me job training or haggle with them to let them reduce my hours, I'll burn a bridge with this company and have a reputation for being unreliable at best and duplicitous at worst.

If this were just some service sector job, I would not care about angering them by getting some paycheques and then dipping. But this is an industry I intend to work in after I graduate. The specific company is very intertwined through the whole industry. Part of their work is disbursing wage-subsidy grants to people working in the environmental sector.

I could just wait for a position that is compatible with my intentions, but I'm moving soon, have little savings because my parasite roommate cleaned me dry (whole other story), and need a job right away. The interview I had for a part-time position yesterday didn't go so well, I don't think. Don't have any other interviews lined up.

What course of action would you take?

yo soy el mejor 06-27-2023 04:57 PM

get two part-time jobs and then quit one in september

yo soy el mejor 06-27-2023 05:44 PM

i've been applying for jobs since the end of march; i got laid-off which officially makes me an adult. i have a lil job search spreadsheet that use for role details (pay, who it reports to, hybrid/remote) and remember where i applied and and when. it doesn't help me get a job, but being organized reduces a lot stress for me.

i had two interviews last week---one for a 10-month education policy fellowship and one working directly with community college students. i'll know mid-july but just today i was invited to interview for a role right up my alley but it's for july 13th so the timing sucks. can i tell those places to wait until i know the outcome? how?

ilikeplanets 06-27-2023 05:50 PM

I've been working 2 part time jobs online for years, and one of them unceremoniously terminated my contract despite years of what they've considered excellent work and being promoted to auditor. No notice, just ousted. Luckily my other contract is teeming with work and I've just doubled up there. But it really has highlighted the downside of having no contacts or security with this type of work. If it happens again, I'm going to have some scrambling to do.

Disco King 06-27-2023 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4627996)
get two part-time jobs and then quit one in september

Yeah, I'm hoping I can get a part-time office job soon so I don't wind up in the situation where I gotta pull a switcheroo on this employer (assuming I even get hired). I don't even necessarily need two during the summer. I'm open to full-time work during the summer and then dropping to part-time, but I'm also open to just doing part-time through both the summer and autumn.

Disco King 06-27-2023 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4627998)
i've been applying for jobs since the end of march; i got laid-off which officially makes me an adult. i have a lil job search spreadsheet that use for role details (pay, who it reports to, hybrid/remote) and remember where i applied and and when. it doesn't help me get a job, but being organized reduces a lot stress for me.

i had two interviews last week---one for a 10-month education policy fellowship and one working directly with community college students. i'll know mid-july but just today i was invited to interview for a role right up my alley but it's for july 13th so the timing sucks. can i tell those places to wait until i know the outcome? how?

I know what you mean about being organized. Even when I got the email about an interview with this job, I had to re-read the job posting to remember what job it even was so that I wouldn't sound clueless during the interview. It's easy to lose track.

I'm no expert, but unless you are so much more qualified than all the other applicants that the job is willing to wait on you, I would think that they would just select an applicant who can start when they want. I might just take the jobs if I get them and then quit and take the one I like better if I found out you got that. But only if I know that I won't be fucking myself over by doing so (do these employers have a lot of influence on your future opportunities?)

If you do ask them to wait, don't tell them it's because you're waiting to hear from a job you like better. They don't want to be your second choice or safety blanket. Say it's because some important obligation came up (a funeral out of town, maybe), and you can't start until after a certain date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4627999)
I've been working 2 part time jobs online for years, and one of them unceremoniously terminated my contract despite years of what they've considered excellent work and being promoted to auditor. No notice, just ousted. Luckily my other contract is teeming with work and I've just doubled up there. But it really has highlighted the downside of having no contacts or security with this type of work. If it happens again, I'm going to have some scrambling to do.

Yeah, I also wish I spent more time making contacts in my last job. I was promised to be sent to all sorts of events with stakeholders that would let me network. That happened maybe twice and never again.

ovary 06-27-2023 09:17 PM

if it is a company in your industry i'd be honest in the interview. finishing a thesis will sound good to them.

i am feeling better but can't drink milk with the antibiotic and i lovvveee millllkkk

currently eating a mayo heavy falaffel sandwich that sat in my car all day

slunken 06-27-2023 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovary (Post 4628005)

currently eating a mayo heavy falaffel sandwich that sat in my car all day

this will only make you stronger

ilikeplanets 06-27-2023 11:50 PM

That sounded disgusting even before you mentioned the potential food poisoning.

Why the fuck would you ruin a falafel with mayo?

ovary 06-28-2023 09:21 AM

because i'm a white boy

yo soy el mejor 06-28-2023 09:45 AM

:hurl:

ourruseoffools 06-28-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovary (Post 4628005)
if it is a company in your industry i'd be honest in the interview. finishing a thesis will sound good to them.

i am feeling better but can't drink milk with the antibiotic and i lovvveee millllkkk

currently eating a mayo heavy falaffel sandwich that sat in my car all day

dairy is absolute garbage and I will never stop talking bad on it. Easily could have ruined my life with dairy alone

ilikeplanets 06-28-2023 01:07 PM

I think mayo is much more trashy than dairy!

ilikeplanets 06-28-2023 01:09 PM

A friend of mine has an older brother who takes his spoon right to the mayo jar, and just the thought of that gives me sensory overload. Ew!!

ourruseoffools 06-28-2023 02:20 PM

Yea mayo is some dumb shit as well… it’s a condiment for xenophobic people to use because they’ve never heard of Guac

Disco King 06-28-2023 03:45 PM

The Mayo-eating ones are even worse than the ones who appropriate guacamole as if it's for them.

ilikeplanets 06-28-2023 05:17 PM

What's even worse is thinking that eating guacamole makes you an adventurous eater

Ram27 06-28-2023 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4628030)
I think mayo is much more trashy than dairy!

yes! ranch as well

i can't stand anything with dill either but that's my own psychosis

ilikeplanets 06-28-2023 10:54 PM

That's me with sage. Yuck.

redbreegull 06-29-2023 02:39 PM

this kid who sat at my lunch table in high school notoriously hated mayo and one day this other kid comes up to him with a slice of bread with mayo and slaps him in the face with it and my dude vomited profusely

redbreegull 06-29-2023 02:41 PM

I don't hate mayo, but its uses are limited. a light dose of mayo is still good on a burger imho

recently though if I'm eating a burger I like a bit of guac and some sweet baby ray's barbecue sauce, SOUR ass garlic dill pickles, and some potato chips

Elijah Moon 06-29-2023 04:04 PM

I got no beef with mayo. It's not my favourite but it serves its purpose well enough.

yo soy el mejor 06-29-2023 04:18 PM

yeah yesterday i asked for light mayo on a turkey sandwich. i had no idea what to eat. it's better as an ingredient though. i like mustard and bbq sauce more.

slunken 06-29-2023 05:49 PM

my grandpa called mayonaise "slick 'em" (slickem)

i keep that joke alive every Thanksgiving when we're all making ham sammies out of the leftovers

LaBelle 06-29-2023 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijah Moon (Post 4628097)
I got no beef with mayo. It's not my favourite but it serves its purpose well enough.

Me on the other hand won't get mayo with beef.

ilikeplanets 06-29-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4628105)
my grandpa called mayonaise "slick 'em" (slickem)

i keep that joke alive every Thanksgiving when we're all making ham sammies out of the leftovers

This makes it SO much worse. Reminds me of a customer I had when I worked at Hardee's way back when. He asked for 10 jelly packets to go with his single biscuit, because he "wanted it to slide right down."

I never understood how people eat burgers with ketchup, mustard, and mayo all together.

ourruseoffools 06-30-2023 06:26 AM

Yeah im gonna need you all to develop more self confidence or something so you don’t feel the need to consume mayonnaise drenched bread any longer

ovary 06-30-2023 09:36 AM

y'all can't shame me out of liking mayo. it's a fucking sauce chill out. let me live

ovary 06-30-2023 10:29 AM

got a fun game to play with your spouses. squirt some shampoo in the toilet and pretend you don't know what it is

ovary 06-30-2023 10:29 AM

it's given us something to talk about for like a week

Disco King 06-30-2023 11:53 AM

People can like eating what they like. Just don't do it around me.

ilikeplanets 06-30-2023 12:21 PM

No, I take issue with anyone consuming ketchup, mustard, and mayo on the same sandwich.

LaBelle 06-30-2023 01:09 PM


mxzombie 06-30-2023 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4628105)
my grandpa called mayonaise "slick 'em" (slickem)

i keep that joke alive every Thanksgiving when we're all making ham sammies out of the leftovers

i once called it "sandwich lube" to a coworker and never heard the end of it. it's especially useful for dense lunchmeat on processed white bread, which sticks to the roof of my mouth.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022