Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

Disco King 01-19-2017 02:59 PM

Recently received my Fuzzhugger(fx) Sonic Shroom. A pretty cool fuzz. Self-oscillates, but is still really playable because the oscillations fade when there's a signal. The controls are kinda unorthodox, they are really interactive with each other instead of being independent, and they don't have quite the same functions as a typical fuzz pedal's knob.

Between that and all my other fuzzes, I think my fuzz craving is finally satiated. There is some chance that I may check out some Devi Ever pedals somewhere down the line, but they aren't "must-gets." I'm pretty stoked with the palette I've got already.

Disco King 01-19-2017 03:02 PM

Aw shit, I can't wait to see what the Sonic Shroom and Wolf Computer sound like together. I contemplated ordering a custom pedal from Fuzzhugger that would combine the Velcrobot (another zippy, fuzz-facey fuzz) and Sonic Shroom (all the ilovefuzz.com folks were really urging me to do it, too), but then I thought, eh, the Velcrobot is cool and all, but what I think I wanted the Wolf Computer more.

The Omega Concern 01-19-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4311905)
Recently received my Fuzzhugger(fx) Sonic Shroom. A pretty cool fuzz. Self-oscillates, but is still really playable because the oscillations fade when there's a signal. The controls are kinda unorthodox, they are really interactive with each other instead of being independent, and they don't have quite the same functions as a typical fuzz pedal's knob.

Between that and all my other fuzzes, I think my fuzz craving is finally satiated. There is some chance that I may check out some Devi Ever pedals somewhere down the line, but they aren't "must-gets." I'm pretty stoked with the palette I've got already.

Fades when there's a signal? interesting, sort of like a dynamic delay that kicks in when you stop playing. I'd like to combine those two.

Don't know if this stuff would be redundant for you, or you may already know of JPTR fx, but they are also very interesting. If I didn't already have enough delay's, I'd be all over the dual one this guy makes. The Super Weirdo Fuzz may be down your alley?

soniclovenoize 01-22-2017 07:59 PM

Just picked up one of these!

:love:

The Omega Concern 01-22-2017 10:54 PM

ohhhh man...i'm jealous, you're stoked.

friend of mine kinda talked me out of one because for recordings we have a Roland XV-88 at our disposal, so it's not really needed. But I still want a Mel-9 on the pedalboard regardless.

he/she/it 02-16-2017 02:35 AM

I've just bought myself this Digitech Valve FX guitar preamp.

I paid a little on the high side for it, along with a foot controller, but this is apparently a very good condition one, with, hopefully, the latest firmware, and an LCD screen upgrade that Digitech offered - which is a big plus, because with some of these, the original blue LCD becomes faded over time, and harder to read.

I'm going to make a 2nd, smaller rig with this, that I'm thinking I'll use for playing live (which I want to actually start doing).

As I think can be heard in this demo vid, this preamp is at the centre of some of Machina's heavy guitar sounds (eg. Imploding Voice).

The Valve FX was also a part of BC's Machina tour rig. There are a whopping 5 of them in this setup:

Aside from the LCD screen fading with age, another issue these preamps seem to have is specific to the European versions, and it again affects the LCD screen, though it is apparently caused by voltage routing, for the sake of adapting the USA model to European voltage level:

http://www2.digitech.com/soundcomm/g..._id=1022050967

Quote:

When the unit powers up - voltage runs through the front LCD display and onto the main CPU, hitting the eeprom along the way. This screws the memory after a while hence a factory reset would be the only way to get back to base with the unit. I asked Digitech (US) if they had a solution to this along time before talking to Arbiter - the US had not come across this problem - the main reason for this is because the power up design would not affect the US user since they only run on 110v. They just inserted a voltage switch when the unit was shipped to Europe - I don't know where you guys are based but this could also be your problem.

Anyway, a great guy at Arbiter replaced the front LCD blue boot display for another green display and it now works fine. Looks a little like a GSP 21 Legend from a distance but who cares!

As for the RPedit program - I have the last revision if you can't get hold of it. Let me know, I check these pages every couple of weeks.
BTW, while looking for a used unit to purchase, I also found this one that's going for cheap ($90 USD) on Craigslist, though its screen is reportedly largely faded - but the device is otherwise functional. If it's possible to source a replacement LCD, then it'd be a sweet deal for someone: https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/6001596016.html

The Omega Concern 03-05-2017 07:07 PM

The Omega Concern 05-27-2017 01:00 AM

Splurged today on a PettyJohn Pettydrive V2, though I did have a trade-in that brought the out of pocket expense down a bit. Spent a couple hours jamming around earlier and quickly found useful tones. I've got their Fuze as well, so I knew the circuitry would work well with my set-up. Between the two Pettyjohn's, a Talons and the MXR Fullbore...i'm done searching for OD/Distortion/Fuzz. fini. for a good while anyway...i barely rarely use the Zvex and Big Muff Pi as it is.

slunken 06-02-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4312272)

Just picked up one of these!

:love:

FUCK i want to swap out the C9 with this IMMEDIATELY

soniclovenoize 06-02-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4360876)
FUCK i want to swap out the C9 with this IMMEDIATELY

Yeah it great! Trying my best to not use it on everything!!

Here's the classic Beatles flute setting on the chorus and second verse. Also I think I was using the orchestral setting with the sustain cranked up with a phaser and possibly a delay to get the sweeping synthy stuff that flies through the whole song.
https://soundcloud.com/soniclovenoize/pilot-light

I'm using it in my bass board now, which is great because the pedal gets confused when you play bellow a low A. Otherwise you're able to get some crazy bass undertones with it.

The Omega Concern 06-04-2017 11:50 PM

those are some real cool sounds sonic. That orchestral setting is worth the price on its own, but I haven't heard it used like you have there on Pilot Light...rather creative... gets me thinking...mmmmm, drooling more so. However, sometimes when it comes down to cost vs. need, a pedal I need wins over one I want. It's kinda been that way with the Mel-9, damnit.

The Omega Concern 06-05-2017 12:06 AM

I know I just said I was done with dirt pedals, but...

Next pedal is either this or the Mel-9, which may be more of a need now. I have a Fullbore Metal that works for one specific sound that is really all I need that type of tone for -- a huge Randall amp like chug. I run it through a harmonizer though, which cuts the fizz of it and I finally figured out how the frequency knob interacts highly with the treble one, almost like a Zvex. That also helped cut the annoying part of this pedal, damn high frequency fizz.

If the Filaments can get that chug like the Fullbore, but at better fidelity with much better versatility, then I may just make the purchase and put off the Mel-9 a little further down the line.

soniclovenoize 06-05-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4362080)
those are some real cool sounds sonic. That orchestral setting is worth the price on its own, but I haven't heard it used like you have there on Pilot Light...rather creative... gets me thinking...mmmmm, drooling more so. However, sometimes when it comes down to cost vs. need, a pedal I need wins over one I want. It's kinda been that way with the Mel-9, damnit.

Thanks TOC :)

teh b0lly!!1 06-05-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by he/she/it (Post 4320952)

As I think can be heard in this demo vid, this preamp is at the centre of some of Machina's heavy guitar sounds (eg. Imploding Voice).

wow this really strikingly does sound exactly like machina guitar tone, i wish he would stay on the relevant presets just a bit longer, it's strange and cool hearing that one tone factor so isolated

smashingjj 06-05-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4362152)
wow this really strikingly does sound exactly like machina guitar tone

KILL IT

ButtHash 06-06-2017 10:46 PM

Question for all you rad shredders out there in axe land:

When you're playing something with the typical open chords do you use the same finger position for a given chord every single time, or do you change it based on the context?

I'm trying to work on my playing. Sometimes a certain finger position feels right in one context, but wrong in another.

teh b0lly!!1 06-07-2017 12:13 AM

yeah i'd say i do that sometimes. though not very often. only if it's really required.

muscle memory goes a long way, if you confuse yourself too much it'll just not sound as good

teh b0lly!!1 06-07-2017 12:16 AM

i wish i could buy a Kemper or AxeFX

Kempers sound so fucking incredible

redbreegull 06-07-2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtHash (Post 4362695)
Question for all you rad shredders out there in axe land:

When you're playing something with the typical open chords do you use the same finger position for a given chord every single time, or do you change it based on the context?

I'm trying to work on my playing. Sometimes a certain finger position feels right in one context, but wrong in another.

I'm big into open chord acoustic music, and I do a lot of hammer-ons and try to build internal melodies into chord changes a lot. There are some chords I finger differently based on context (lolol). G major is a good example. It just depends where I need my fingers to move around that chord.

ButtHash 06-07-2017 12:47 AM

The one I've found myself wanting to change up on most often is A Major. There are like 3 different ways that all seem like they could be "right"

I taught myself guitar and used to sort of pride myself on a lack of foundation knowledge. Now I just want to play my git proficiently and effectively. I took a beginner's class in college after I had been playing for several years, and I'm pretty sure dude was telling us to do A Maj with the middle finger on the D string, index finger on G string and ring finger on B string. That doesn't seem very useful but I got used to it back then. We playing classical gits though.

redbreegull 06-07-2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtHash (Post 4362750)
The one I've found myself wanting to change up on most often is A Major. There are like 3 different ways that all seem like they could be "right"

I taught myself guitar and used to sort of pride myself on a lack of foundation knowledge. Now I just want to play my git proficiently and effectively. I took a beginner's class in college after I had been playing for several years, and I'm pretty sure dude was telling us to do A Maj with the middle finger on the D string, index finger on G string and ring finger on B string. That doesn't seem very useful but I got used to it back then. We playing classical gits though.

I mean I feel like I've never seen someone play an A major like that, but to each his own.

redbreegull 06-07-2017 12:57 AM

isn't the right way index on D, middle on G, ring on B? that seems intuitive

reprise85 06-07-2017 12:59 AM

the boss way to play A maj is with only one finger

redbreegull 06-07-2017 01:01 AM

ah see I kind of hate barring shit. I will never bar strings if there is another way to do the chord

ButtHash 06-07-2017 01:13 AM

Yeh, your way is what I usually use. Sometimes I start with the middle on D doh.

Elphenor 06-07-2017 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4362754)
the boss way to play A maj is with only one finger

yeah best to learn it this way I think

Elphenor 06-07-2017 01:37 AM

I've been learning flamenco stuff but played with a pick on an electric guitar so it's some gross cultural appropriation

Disco King 06-07-2017 01:39 AM

I tend to barre it by default, but my problem is that I find it hard to get the high-E string to ring that way.

Sometimes I use three different fingers, but only if I consciously make the effort to not do it how I intuitively do it.

I dunno, I know I have all three notes of the triad without that extra E, but it doesn't sound "full" enough without it.

Elphenor 06-07-2017 01:41 AM

I figured out the scale just by ear and I can feel it a lot harder than the pentatonics

but I'm bad at playing the chords properly which is funny because it's the same open chords you just play them differently idk it sounds like ass when I try it

plus I'm not exactly sure what kind of effects will be suitable for my new interest in electric Latin because my jangle set up clashes too hard

redbreegull 06-07-2017 01:43 AM

imo barring strings usually causes at least a little bit of loss in the fullness of the sound of each note because it's hard to fret the strings as well

Elphenor 06-07-2017 01:49 AM

my reasoning is just that it leaves the other fingers free

so you might as well learn it that way

but if it's a case of it's entirely interchangeable in terms of difficulty it really doesn't matter

The Omega Concern 06-07-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4362736)
i wish i could buy a Kemper or AxeFX

Kempers sound so fucking incredible

Kemper, yes! the Axe...mehhhh. It's a great unit, no doubt, but unless you wanna tweak knobs all day and not play much, then...anyway, it's easy to get lost with that kind of thing.

teh b0lly!!1 06-07-2017 11:18 PM

i fret A major with one finger when i want to add something melodic on top of it - a hammer on or pull off or slide or something. the downside it that you pretty much have to give up the high E string if you wanna keep it fluid.

if i really wanna hear the high E i'll just fret it with 3 fingers

The Omega Concern 06-09-2017 11:30 PM

This is completely ridiculous, but it has to be posted itt:

teh b0lly!!1 06-10-2017 06:03 AM

i could find a use for that sound in a shoegaze song for sure. pretty cool in a way

The Omega Concern 06-10-2017 01:22 PM

It's got bit commander kinda vibe at the end. Those be some weird sounds, that kind of thing.

The Omega Concern 06-26-2017 04:29 PM

Filaments came in today and I'm about to get mid-evil with this little beast of a gimp...gonna call up some hard mofo's with a blow torch and a pair of plyers -- and then put all that down and play guitar and shit. I'll shoot for 120db's at some point.

cork_soaker 06-27-2017 02:10 PM

testing out the new rig
simply loving these soundz

Alice 06-27-2017 06:54 PM

Nice skirt