Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

he/she/it 08-22-2016 07:04 PM

Thanks.

>> it was just my way of jokingly saying i can't really listen to that classic brand of SP rock anymore. i still enjoy listening to SP sometimes but i barely do it anymore. and when i do it's not the guitar tracks.

Ah. I've been listening to them again for the past while, after having not listened to them for many years, partly because I felt like I knew the songs inside and out. But the music's more recently gained some feelings of newness for me again, maybe partly from the remasters, and also because I've now got a lot of production awareness, which lets me listen to the albums differently than before, while paying attention to all the subtle production details in a section of a song.

he/she/it 08-24-2016 08:38 PM

I have a few pieces of rack gear coming in the mail:

KORG DTR-1 tuner - $81.60, shipped
I'm going to replace the Behringer BTR-2000 tuner in my rack with the Korg. It looks to me like the DTR-1 tracks faster than the BTR-2000, and it has a cable-tester, which owners of this tuner say is really useful. Also, I like its look and colours more than I do the look of the various black plastic face-and-buttons tuners, such as the one I already have.

TC Electronic 1128 EQ - $105, shipped
I've been thinking about getting a rack EQ for a while, and this seems to be one that people refer to as having top sound quality. Although its an older piece of gear, it uses top quality parts, stores presets, and has MIDI functionality. I also found it for a very low price.

Aphex Aural Exciter Type C Model 103 - $36, shipped
I want to try putting this in my guitar chain, and see if adding synthetic harmonics does anything to make the sound more awesome. People often use these for track mastering, and I pretty much always use a sonic exciter plugin while mastering my own tracks, but I'd like to try it in the guitar signal, to see how it works, there.

Some Aural Exciters were sold through the Smashing Pumpkins ebay account, years ago, though I don't know what they were used for, whether they were used on any albums, and for what.

I'm looking forward to playing around with this stuff, and if the EQ and exciter don't work out, for whatever reason, I should be able to flip them locally, and make some small profit.

teh b0lly!!1 08-25-2016 05:58 PM

do you guys have any notably ridiculous experiences with second hand guitar ads?

i'm member of some facebook groups with guys selling music gear, and one day this guy posted a 90's les paul, and went on about how it matches the date slash presumably got one of his les pauls, so there's a high chance that the very guitar he was selling was from the same batch of woods used for slash's guitar. of course he priced it like 3,000 dollars or something.

he/she/it 08-26-2016 12:03 AM

Well, I gather you aren't actually looking to buy that guitar, but if you were, you can look up the serial number of the guitar, and find out when it was made (I think). But I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it first, since there's so much variance in the acoustics of different pieces of wood. Could be from the same tree, and still sound different.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Life...ial%20Numbers/

Also, what Poots said.

teh b0lly!!1 08-26-2016 05:48 AM

no i definitely wasn't even toying with the idea of buying it.

i would have kind of liked to have a les paul, i mean it would be nice, but the prices for them these days, even second hand 2013's or whatever, or just plain fucking retarded. maybe one day i'll get a 90's custom, hold onto it for a decade or two and then sell it for x3 what i paid for it. if i live that long.

soniclovenoize 08-26-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by he/she/it (Post 4277422)
Some Aural Exciters were sold through the Smashing Pumpkins ebay account, years ago, though I don't know what they were used for, whether they were used on any albums, and for what.

lol

he/she/it 08-26-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4277766)
lol

http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=346
http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=345
http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=229

Says they were used by BC, and kept "in a smoke-free studio environment."

Maybe the SD sound was really just a few of these stacked on top of each other, and their output harmonic content sounded so glorious that it could be put straight to tape, and sound like a full SP album.

he/she/it 08-26-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4277797)
Very interesting. I need to try that one out night with my aural exciter. Might be a secret key to the Siamese Dream tonez

I think that a big part of that SD sound is actually the MXR Distortion II blended in with the Big Muff:

Quiet sounds to me like it's mostly MXR DII from beginning to end, maybe with some subtle Big Muff takes of the rhythm tracks blended in very quietly.

Cherub Rock and Today also sound to me like they have MXR DII heavily blended into the rhythm guitar.

Maybe I'm wrong, I guess I could just try recording something with these two pedals, since I have them, but I suspect that the general SD sound is the MXR DII and Big Muff blended together.

Also, (I think) Butch Vig said that they added some high-end to the recorded guitar tracks in EQ (or, maybe with something like an aural exciter?).

soniclovenoize 08-27-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by he/she/it (Post 4277791)
http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=346
http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=345
http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=229

Says they were used by BC, and kept "in a smoke-free studio environment."

Maybe the SD sound was really just a few of these stacked on top of each other, and their output harmonic content sounded so glorious that it could be put straight to tape, and sound like a full SP album.

I laughed because I bought one of Corgan's Aural Exciters back in April and posted about it in this very thread, and you asked me about it directly.

he/she/it 08-27-2016 01:34 PM

Oh right, I hadn't thought of that while making this purchase! I just saw a low bid price and took it.

How has it worked out for you?

soniclovenoize 08-27-2016 09:41 PM

haha Haven't even used it!

I just got a new computer and upgraded to the newest SONAR Pro so I've been getting to know all these new (to me) plugins. That's kinda first on my hitlist, to create some effects parameters comparable to what I had before, before I mess with some superfluous outboard gear, you know what I mean?

btw, supposedly it was used on the Pre-Gish demos, not Siamese Dream. It could have been used on SD, but if it had I would assume the seller would have said that rather than the Gish Demos. That would make it's perceived value a bit higher.

slunken 08-28-2016 06:15 PM

I love guitar. So chill.

he/she/it 08-29-2016 11:58 PM

Which Aural Exciter model did you buy, soniclovenoize? The two rack units that sold on eBay were Type-B and Type-C. The one I've bought (which is in the mail) is Type-C. There's also some other models, some with additional controls to augment bass frequencies, and some which only work on the mid-treble. Then there's the 250 Type III, which is like the premium model, made later than the Type B and C, I think.

I had an offer of a good deal on the 250 Type III through my local craigslist, but I think I read that the 250 cleans up some of the distortion that is present in the earlier units, and I generally like having device colouration added to my guitar sound, so I chose to get one of the earlier units that should be a bit noisier, but which might be a good thing.

teh b0lly!!1 08-30-2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4278482)
I tried the aural exciter with a marshall stack and op amp big muff. It definitely adds the overabundance of high harmonics that the SD guitar sound has. I'm not sure if it was done with regular EQ in the studio or the Aphex unit though. It also scoops the midrange through a lot of it's filter sweep (and the muff is already pretty scooped) but while I was playing with it, it surely gave everything that 90's sound. You can't really play Honky Tonk Women with that box on.

my bet would be that no exciters were used on SD guitars. 95% sure.
it sounds unlikely that they'd introduce such a tone altering unit to the chain, without having the possibility to tinker with it in the mix stage. that's a very "wrong" thing to do in audio engineering. besides, butch vig and alan moulder (who mixed the record) have publicly stated iirc that the guitars were recorded with full frequency range, and only then eq'd to be placed in the mix.

edit: it IS entirely possible, though, that they ran a recorded guitar track through an exciter at the mix stage at some point - but even if they did, it would only be one part here and there, so it doesn't really represent the tone of the record in a nutshell.

soniclovenoize 08-30-2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by he/she/it (Post 4278805)
Which Aural Exciter model did you buy, soniclovenoize? The two rack units that sold on eBay were Type-B and Type-C. The one I've bought (which is in the mail) is Type-C. There's also some other models, some with additional controls to augment bass frequencies, and some which only work on the mid-treble. Then there's the 250 Type III, which is like the premium model, made later than the Type B and C, I think.

I had an offer of a good deal on the 250 Type III through my local craigslist, but I think I read that the 250 cleans up some of the distortion that is present in the earlier units, and I generally like having device colouration added to my guitar sound, so I chose to get one of the earlier units that should be a bit noisier, but which might be a good thing.

It's a Type-C

Disco King 09-02-2016 02:09 AM

Why does inspiration always hit at the most inconvenient times? I decided today that I would take this guitar lick I wrote probably years ago now, and develop it into a full song because though being, like, two bars long, I've always felt some promise in it. All day, I've had mental constipation, pretty much just spending the day whining about things on Netphoria. Then at night, all of the sudden I write the basic structure of the song. I pretty much have all the progressions, I just need to write more lead parts and fix some things up.

Except now it's past midnight and I work at 6 o'clock tomorrow morning.

Also, I told myself at the beginning of the summer that I'd use my time off school to finish some songs. I only wrote one other full song all summer, and now that the semester is starting again next week, suddenly I have no ideas that I will probably have no time to actualize.

WHY DO THE GODS TAUNT ME

Elphenor 09-03-2016 04:07 PM

Guys I luv guitar

brutechinasky 09-03-2016 07:05 PM

just got my new MIJ left handed jazzmaster CAR
looks dope af

slunken 09-04-2016 05:24 PM

What's a left handed car? Is that like when the steering wheel is on the other side?

brutechinasky 09-04-2016 05:42 PM

Yep it's those things they drive in England

slunken 09-04-2016 05:47 PM

Ah, a bus.

Disco King 09-08-2016 01:25 AM

Going through some old recordings to see which snippets of songs I should develop into full songs.

Was listening to one, and I don't even remember what effect I used, but it was, like, this delay that made this "creaking" sound. I'm guessing it's from when I still had that Zoom G2 multieffects pedal. I wonder what module that would had been. It's a really odd delay sound. Anybody know anything about creaky delays?

I mean, I would just post the audio file so that people can hear what I'm talking about, but I'm really embarrassed about my noodling snippets and don't want to upload anything but finished songs that don't completely suck.

teh b0lly!!1 09-08-2016 02:47 AM

i was like that too but recently i've been posting my hyper embarrassing cell phone demos, so. what's funny is i have some finished, produced tracks from like a year ago and i never posted those.

i'm afraid you'll have to post it because saying 'creaky delay' is like trying to ascertain how a fart smells through the internet.

Disco King 09-08-2016 03:05 AM

Welp, this is the audio clip. Sounds like a flanger and some sort of reverb or delay going on doing this weird creaky thing.

Disco King 09-08-2016 03:06 AM

May as well post that other shitty song I've been working on for the past two days. I'll put it in the other thread.

Elphenor 09-08-2016 09:53 AM

I like gloomy flange ftw

he/she/it 09-13-2016 11:17 AM

For anyone wanting the SD sound, here's an exact replica of the '78 op-amp Big Muff's circuit (you have to solder it together):

http://buildyourownclone.com/collect...er-opamp-kit-1

I think you can hear in this demo video of all the BYOC Muff clones that the op-amp version is distinctly more like the SP fuzz than the other variants. Its fuzz sounds more stable and condensed, to me, and less blooming, or wavy. That probably makes it a bit better for rhythm playing than the other Muffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpTI...youtu.be&t=234

And here's some information on the op-amp Muff, and the use of it to record SD that you've all probably read multiple times before.

http://smashingpumpkinsequipment.blo...-big-muff.html

fluxequalsrad 09-13-2016 05:56 PM

the "creaking" sounds kind of like a reverse reverb.

teh b0lly!!1 09-15-2016 11:32 AM

hey anybody want to talk about some guitar stuff
i miss this thread.

i changed strings for my badass acoustic (Guild D55) and it sounds just fucking incredible. i hate changing strings so much that i always postpone it as much as possible, but the second i am done with it, i am having such a blast just playing, i swear i'll do it more often from now on > repeat

The Omega Concern 09-20-2016 03:02 AM

Got these guys yesterday:

to go along with a PB&J:

to replace my DD-20 and compliment an Echo Pro:

Just did a whirl around the dial of it without much tweaking. I just love the 40 sec looper. Once I get to an overbearing level of Pink Floydness, I reel back in to get real and find something to use from the pedal. It might take a few weeks... : P

Disco King 09-20-2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad (Post 4282382)
the "creaking" sounds kind of like a reverse reverb.

Hmm. I don't think that the multieffects pedal I had at the time had a reverse reverb on it, but I could try one and see if it gives a similar effect.

teh b0lly!!1 09-20-2016 04:23 AM

i listened to that btw disco, i just didn't have an idea as to how it was produced.

it's not reverse reverb. perhaps it samples like a millisecond off the attack, and sends that into a high feedback slap delay, in addition to the other stuff going on. hard to tell though, i'd need to listen to it more closely and without other stuff to get a better idea

he/she/it 09-23-2016 04:45 AM

I've put the aural exciter type-C that I recently got in my amp rack, and have been using it to very good effect. Dialled-in well, it is capable of providing a very nice coloured sheen that makes the top-end stand out more, and the overall sound of a richer character.

It doesn't work with everything, but it definitely takes some heavy tones to the next level, inlaying them with special colours and sizzle. I keep I think I'm going to be keeping it in my rack amp setup.

No audio clips of it to show, right now.

Row 10-09-2016 04:10 AM

[quote=teh b0lly!!1;4282736]hey anybody want to talk about some guitar stuff
i miss this thread.

What kind of gear have you playing with as of late? What's your rig look like? Been working on any songs or anything?

That goes for anybody... Tell me about some of your favorite stuff. Any of it inspired by Billy?

buzzard 10-26-2016 02:37 AM

Would anybody care to provide their theory as to how one might recreate the sound beginning at about 0:40 and continuing throughout the song?

soniclovenoize 10-26-2016 11:36 AM

Sounds like a phaser cranked up with a delay?