Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

Elphenor 04-24-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4259528)
just play in time and use notes that don't sound like shit

:banging:

Fuck that, punk rock

Disco King 04-24-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_soaker (Post 4259529)
chord tones

I find using chord tones really difficult because I have to actually think about what chord is playing and base my leads off that. It's hard to think about that stuff and play fluidly. Especially difficult to play something rhythmically expressive that isn't just quarter and half notes.

Sometimes I also find that leads based on chord tones harmonize too much and get lost in the chords, so I need some non-chord tones in there to make the leads stand out more.

I might play a minor sixth or major seventh over a major chord, and a minor seventh over a minor or dominant chord.

But most of the I just don't think about chord tones at all and just play whatever sounds okay from the scale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4259566)
Fuck that, punk rock

Disco King 04-29-2016 02:51 AM

Just ordered a DigiTech Supernatural. At first, I was stuck between the Supernatural and the Line 6 Verbzilla. I think I like the Verbzilla's "octo" setting better than the Supernatural's "shimmer" setting, but the Supernatural has more weird and funky settings, whereas with the exception of "octo," the Verbzilla has pretty conventional reverbs.

I've been thinking of getting an analog delay for a while now, and its mostly been between the Malekko Ekkos (either the regular, Dark, or Lo-Fi) and the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail. These just looked more convenient to me than the Carbon Copy, because all the knobs are readily accessible on the exterior and there are no internal ones. The Dark Malekko seems really cool, but I dunno if its one of those things that seems awesome in demo videos, but turns out to not be as versatile as just a normal one. Similar deal with the Lo-Fi one

I'm starting to lean toward a Memory Boy instead, because it allows for an expression pedal and triangle/square waves. I think the only reasons I kind of overlooked it before are superficial ones. Like Malekkos and Vapor Trail just look cooler, and I've never seen them on anybody else's pedal board in real life, whereas Memory Boys are ubiquitous, so they'd make me feel special.

Disco King 04-29-2016 09:23 PM

Is there a particular way one is supposed to take care of a patch cord? My patch cords always start to wear out and then have to be placed in just the right position in order to transmit the signal. And then I have to get a new one.

What am I doing wrong?

he/she/it 04-30-2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4260588)
Is there a particular way one is supposed to take care of a patch cord? My patch cords always start to wear out and then have to be placed in just the right position in order to transmit the signal. And then I have to get a new one.

What am I doing wrong?

What chords are you buying? They might be cheap, if they keep wearing out. Even good ones can wear, but I've been using my patch cables for years and they haven't worn out.

The ones I use between gear are flimsier than the what I use for guitar cable. But I don't really move the ones I use for gear, and don't bend them sharply. The ones I use as guitar cables have braided cloth around them, and they aren't as flimsy as normal instrument cable.

teh b0lly!!1 04-30-2016 01:22 AM

just learn how to solder 'em yourself

it makes life so much easier and cheaper

teh b0lly!!1 04-30-2016 01:22 AM

besides, it'll help you get all the hottest girls

"you know girl... i can solder some cables for u if u want" :smoke:

he/she/it 04-30-2016 02:56 AM

I solder my equipment cables, but I'm not sure I'd if that way would be as durable for guitar cables. As I said, my guitar cables have reinforced braiding around them, making them less flexible, but less prone to wear.

If you solder your guitar cables, then what do you think about the durability of the ones you make?

This is the most recent cable I bought for soldering:
http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2524.html

I think it's the same cable as is used for Mogami Gold prebuilt cables.

teh b0lly!!1 04-30-2016 03:46 AM

it's only about learning to make strong, solid solders

bending your cables as little as possible would be the go-to advice on this, generally speaking

teh b0lly!!1 04-30-2016 03:47 AM

also, re: songwriting

it's easy to say and watch on youtube, but i'm trying, man. i really am. just be out with it and do stuff. you may dig it later on.

Disco King 05-01-2016 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by he/she/it (Post 4260630)
What chords are you buying? They might be cheap, if they keep wearing out. Even good ones can wear, but I've been using my patch cables for years and they haven't worn out.

The ones I use between gear are flimsier than the what I use for guitar cable. But I don't really move the ones I use for gear, and don't bend them sharply. The ones I use as guitar cables have braided cloth around them, and they aren't as flimsy as normal instrument cable.

I usually just get the cheapest cord because I've heard that guitar cords are essentially all the same and the expensive ones are just marked up.

But today I bought one cheap one of the variety that I usually buy, and one more expensive Fender-brand one. Gonna see if brand really makes a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4260638)
just learn how to solder 'em yourself

it makes life so much easier and cheaper

I'm not sure man was meant to harness the wild and awesome forces of fire and lightning. I leave those to god, who would surely punish me for my hubris if I tried to solder.

Actually no I should learn it. I've never been good at anything handy, though. I use a butter knife as a screwdriver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4260654)
also, re: songwriting

it's easy to say and watch on youtube, but i'm trying, man. i really am. just be out with it and do stuff. you may dig it later on.

I need to heed this. I never finish anything because I'm worried it's not good or worth it. I just need to do shit now because so far I've produced nothing.

Disco King 05-02-2016 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4260434)
Just ordered a DigiTech Supernatural. At first, I was stuck between the Supernatural and the Line 6 Verbzilla.

Aaaaand I just pulled the trigger on a Verbzilla, too. It was pretty cheap, as I was able to cop it for less than $100 (before shipping). For some reason, unlike most pedals, which tend to cluster around a particular value, I see a really wide range of prices for the Verbzilla, from the $100s to the $300s.

It's funny, since I'm not super particular about reverb, when I bought my first one, I was like, "yeah, I'm good for reverbs now. I'll never need another one."

And I still have to get a DigiVerb because, unlike the Hardwire RV-7 I have, the reverse-reverb on it lets you mix in the dry signal. I find the reverse on the RV-7 pretty much unusable, because of the lack of dry signal.

Maybe I would had saved money if, instead of having four inexpensive reverbs, I just got one of those higher-end ones, like a Strymon or something. I bet they have something that has the functions of all of mine combined. Oh well.

teh b0lly!!1 05-02-2016 09:43 AM

i can't imagine a musical use for reverse delay that would justify getting a pedal for it

soniclovenoize 05-02-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4260434)
I'm starting to lean toward a Memory Boy instead, because it allows for an expression pedal and triangle/square waves. I think the only reasons I kind of overlooked it before are superficial ones. Like Malekkos and Vapor Trail just look cooler, and I've never seen them on anybody else's pedal board in real life, whereas Memory Boys are ubiquitous, so they'd make me feel special.

I have one, I use it a lot. You can get a nice warm delay and also some cray stuff as as well.

Disco King 05-03-2016 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4260869)
i can't imagine a musical use for reverse delay that would justify getting a pedal for it

Shoegaze, m'boy! Shoegaze!

I can't find much use for the reverse reverb on the pedal I have, because there's no dry signal, so that creates a number of problems. One is that the tone is weak as fuck when all you have is the reflections (if you're using distortion, it takes the bite out of it). Second is that it creates a delay from the time you play a note to the time you hear it, which makes keeping time more difficult because it means you have to play a little before the beat.

I already have reverse delay, though. I think reverse-delay is pretty standard, whereas I've only seen a few pedals with reverse reverb. I like the reverse delay, but the problem is that not all the repeats will be reversed, only every other one (because when the feedback is up and it's delaying another delayed signal, it's reversing a reversed clip). I don't know if anybody's made a pedal where all the repeats are always reversed. That'd be cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4260887)
I have one, I use it a lot. You can get a nice warm delay and also some cray stuff as as well.

How is it for slapback? I've just noticed that brighter delays seem to be better than darker ones for slapback, from the demos I've listened to.

teh b0lly!!1 05-03-2016 03:13 AM

yeah sorry i meant reverse reverb

Bomb The Moon 05-06-2016 09:16 AM

i need to quiet down a noisy expression pedal. it's a metal enclosure. squeaks like death every time i move it.

suggestions?

reprise85 05-06-2016 09:20 AM

have you tried turning it off and on

Bomb The Moon 05-06-2016 09:34 AM

good one. :rolleyes:

the noise isn't in the signal, the pedal itself is noisy as fuckles.

reprise85 05-06-2016 09:35 AM

maybe you should take it apart

Bomb The Moon 05-06-2016 10:08 AM

if i mail it to you, would you do it for me?

reprise85 05-06-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon (Post 4261434)
if i mail it to you, would you do it for me?

Yes but don't expect anything but a mass of parts sent back

run2pee 05-06-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon (Post 4261430)
good one. :rolleyes:

the noise isn't in the signal, the pedal itself is noisy as fuckles.

U mean it's squeaky when you expression it? Spray that bitch whisker with a butt ton of WD-40

Bomb The Moon 05-06-2016 01:50 PM

yes, squeaky when i express. my understanding was that WD-40 wasn't actually a lubricant.

crabshack 05-06-2016 02:04 PM

Buy some de-oxit

soniclovenoize 05-06-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4260923)
How is it for slapback? I've just noticed that brighter delays seem to be better than darker ones for slapback, from the demos I've listened to.

Not as great. Maybe upgrade to the Memory Man for a slapback.

he/she/it 05-06-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon (Post 4261454)
yes, squeaky when i express. my understanding was that WD-40 wasn't actually a lubricant.

I'd try white lithium grease. I think WD-40 isn't good to use on any plastic parts.

slunken 05-06-2016 05:50 PM

1. Don't most advanced delays have a tone knob where you can control the darkness/brightness of the delay? I know the DD-20 has one.

2. Use some Deoxit for the pedal, as suggested. It's made for electronic/instrument gear. Personally I wouldn't go messing about with anything else.

he/she/it 05-06-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4261476)
1. Don't most advanced delays have a tone knob where you can control the darkness/brightness of the delay? I know the DD-20 has one.

2. Use some Deoxit for the pedal, as suggested. It's made for electronic/instrument gear. Personally I wouldn't go messing about with anything else.

Bomb The Moon isn't clear on where the squeak is coming from, but Deoxit is for cleaning electronic and metal parts, clearing rust, making contacts more clean and direct.

An expression pedal's hinge comes greased, and a squeaky hinge is probably because it needs re-greasing. Lithium grease should take care of that. Just make sure to not get it on the circuitry.

If it isn't the hinge on the pedal, but is joints of the pedal enclosure, then maybe Deoxit would be better.

Bomb The Moon 05-07-2016 08:37 AM

the squeak is coming from the hinges, when using expression pedal. or perhaps a family of mice living inside.

thanks for the ideas. :rock_on:

Disco King 05-07-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4261471)
Not as great. Maybe upgrade to the Memory Man for a slapback.

I see. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4261476)

I dunno, but the ones in the price range I was looking at don't tend to have one.

teh b0lly!!1 05-07-2016 01:58 PM

in my wildest, most secret dreams, somebody loves me unconditionally and i own a binson echorec

Disco King 05-11-2016 04:59 AM

Looks like a cool machine. It looks like Catalinbread tried to replicate it in a pedal. Have you seen it?
http://www.catalinbread.com/product/echorec/

I was just recording a rough sketch of the vocals for a song I'm writing (just a bunch of nonsense placeholder lyrics for now). I'm not confident in my voice, and I noticed I was kind of too embarrassed to sing all that clearly because I wasn't sure if anybody could hear me (I live in a shitty apartment and my window faces the parking lot and I can always hear idiots out there), so I was pretty much whispering. I feel like I can't improve my vocals because in order to do that, I need to practice, and I don't like practicing because there's the chance somebody could hear me. It's a feedback loop.

Also, I don't know much about mixing. I only recorded a single acoustic guitar and two vocal tracks, but it was hard for me to have them all sit comfortably in their own spaces in the mix. Doesn't help that my vocals were already very blended into the guitar due to the whispery-ness.

Listening to myself is really cringey and it usually forces me to stop and give up but I tried to push through it this time.

Elphenor 05-11-2016 08:04 AM

this is not a singing thread tho

Disco King 05-11-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4262163)
this is not a singing thread tho

But I was singing over a guitar so

Also, I didn't want to put this in the "thread for posting your musics" because I wasn't actually posting my musics, just complaining about how my musics is a shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4262176)
try taking one vocal and cutting out all the high and middle frequencies leaving a muffled low end mess. Pan that hard left. Then take the other vocal and take all the lows and mids, for a high end tweeter-destroying vocal. Pan that hard left as well. Then take the acoustic guitar and take out all the highs and lows so that it sounds boxy and wooden. Also add heavy studio flanging. Pan hard left. All of these parts will sound like shit by themselves, but they will create an awesome sonic forest for your listeners to get totally lost in.

Thanks bro. Just followed these tips in my latest recording. What I ended up with isn't perfect, but it's definitely an improvement and I think I'm headed in the right direction. I did add my own personal flair by doing this trick I like to do, though. I like to ensure each channel really gives all it's got and goes for that threshold in order to get that square-wave clipping so that I end up with something approximating that beautiful Siamese Dream tone.

Take a listen and tell me what you think.

Elphenor 05-11-2016 02:27 PM

I kind of hate the beach boys I gotta be honest

Why they are so beloved I don't think I'll ever understand

It all reminds me of Christmas music