Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

teh b0lly!!1 02-09-2015 12:31 PM

hey a gear thread!

teh b0lly!!1 02-09-2015 12:32 PM

i just traded a 7 string reminder of my metal days for an epiphone es 335
got a classic '57 at the bridge. it's surprisingly good

teh b0lly!!1 02-09-2015 12:34 PM

fuck you for that beautiful gretsch teb i want a gretsch so bad

teh b0lly!!1 02-09-2015 12:34 PM

my most cherished guitar is actually a 87 SG that i want to put a bigsby on

slunken have you had any experience with vibramate

slunken 02-09-2015 06:20 PM

no i don't know much about wang bars, only historical info.

i mentioned before i really want an sg with trem. i would accept either a danelectro reissue (with the the wide neck - sounds more like a les paul) or an off-brand 70s japanese model would be ideal. as long as it has a bar.

slunken 02-09-2015 06:27 PM

sg's are too expensive and 70s supermarket guitars are unreliable i'll probably just try to get danelectro. if you really like a les paul sounding guitar that has amazing pick response (chime, twang, growl) those 90s reissues can't be beat for the money. like $250 top dollar. i like them because they have thick necks like a hollowbody and the body is nice and weighty too for deep sustain. amazing sound.

The exploding boy 02-09-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4152754)
fuck you for that beautiful gretsch teb i want a gretsch so bad

the worst is i barely use it. I haven't in many months now anyway. It's not quite the sound i'd like, but since it's inherited, i'm never selling it. I will find a use for it yet at some point anyway.

slunken 02-09-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4152973)
the worst is i barely use it. I haven't in many months now anyway. It's not quite the sound i'd like, but since it's inherited, i'm never selling it. I will find a use for it yet at some point anyway.

do you find that, even if you've cleaned it after you last played it, that it oxidizes in the case? i would pull mine out after even a few weeks and the whole fucking thing would be wrecked. oxidized chrome. gross strings.

maybe it was just me. i sweat a LOT when i play. it was like driving a classic caddy through the mud.

teh b0lly!!1 02-10-2015 03:10 AM

perhaps it's a humidity situation?
it's pretty dry where i live so i don't get that

teh b0lly!!1 02-10-2015 03:10 AM

try wiping off the strings and make sure the guitar doesn't lie there for a few weeks with wrecked strings

teh b0lly!!1 02-10-2015 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4152933)
no i don't know much about wang bars, only historical info.

i mentioned before i really want an sg with trem. i would accept either a danelectro reissue (with the the wide neck - sounds more like a les paul) or an off-brand 70s japanese model would be ideal. as long as it has a bar.

it's kind of a shame, i came across a few just like those in the past month
they're local auctions though so i'm not sure you\the sellers would be bothered

The exploding boy 02-10-2015 03:21 AM

yeah i dotn ahve that problem. However....i stringed this guitar only once so far and HOLY SHIT, an exercize in frustration. First time with a bigsby bridge. You kinda ideally need two people... I want to have to restring this as least often as possible.

teh b0lly!!1 02-11-2015 03:50 AM

i never had to do this because i don't own a bigsby guitar
what's so frustrating about it

The exploding boy 02-11-2015 04:40 PM

^

YES.

Glad to know i'm not just a retard. Cause i was like...maybe i am a retard and don't understand the proper procedure to string this? I mean it did get a little better towards the end but still.

slunken 02-11-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4154143)
^

YES.

Glad to know i'm not just a retard. Cause i was like...maybe i am a retard and don't understand the proper procedure to string this? I mean it did get a little better towards the end but still.

Bend the bottom part about 45 degrees before putting it on the post

The exploding boy 02-11-2015 08:41 PM

yeah i tried that after the first one. It helps but doesn't keep it from happening.

I basically stringed it with one hand on the bridge and one hand on the head. very uncomfortable.

Ive been wondering about using the blue gum thing used to put posters on walls. put ball end on post, stick some blue gum over ball end and post, then remove gum after.

slunken 02-11-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4154256)
yeah i tried that after the first one. It helps but doesn't keep it from happening.

I basically stringed it with one hand on the bridge and one hand on the head. very uncomfortable.

using a capo will help. i always do anyway.

slunken 02-11-2015 09:00 PM

this is clutch

Sonic Johnny 02-11-2015 09:08 PM

Hey i'm sure i've asked this before, but what are some good songs for an intermediate learner to try? So far of all the songs i've taught myself, Siva is the most fun to play - a few interesting chords, lots of sections to learn, nice balance of riffing and leads. Any suggestions?

slunken 02-11-2015 09:11 PM

the bass line to stranglehold

slunken 02-11-2015 09:12 PM

transpose it all over the neck

slunken 02-11-2015 09:13 PM

blue oyster cult - burning for you

great for playalongs either lead or rhythm

slunken 02-11-2015 09:14 PM

those are my two little jam practice warmup exercise things at the moment

noyen 02-11-2015 10:35 PM

so im bidding on a mij jaguar hh special, a guitar I used to own but had to sell for crack cocaine. 399. so far so good. hope to get it and swap out the pickups with something HOTTER.

noyen 02-12-2015 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4154413)
Don't those already have some pretty hot pickups? I could be wrong, it's getting hard to keep up with all the different models and versions of models that Fender keeps coming out with.

They do indeed have nice pickups stock but I replaced them on my old one with dimarzio's dp155s and it gave it the sound I'm looking for.

Yeah there is a lot of new stuff. The black tops, the pawn shop models... I'm liking the mij 2007 models though I wouldn't mind the pawn shop bass vi.

bobliefeld 02-12-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4154138)
The string ball ends slip off the little posts on the bigsy and make you want to kill yourself. It is a sisyphean task that will make you just play the damn thing with five or four strings or whatever instead of replacing them.

Is it worse than a Floyd Rose?

Break a string and not have cutters and an allen key set and 10 minutes to get the thing in tune??

I got a mocking bird with floyd rose (yeah lol) and I like it but I'm fixed bridge + locking tuners for life now.

teh b0lly!!1 02-12-2015 10:40 AM

actually there's a new system called Evertune that's based around routing your guitar for it, which means losing a considerable amount of wood

BUT - you tune your guitar once, and no matter what happens to it, it'll keep that same tune forever

that is TEMPTING

teh b0lly!!1 02-12-2015 10:41 AM

particularly for me because i'm obsessed with being perfectly in tune
two or three cents off on one string can drive me crazy

bobliefeld 02-12-2015 12:14 PM

It's not like a floyd or whatever where you need to get the balance of everything spot on. You tune up however you want and the system then works to retain whatever balance is set. It's kinda a weird mechanical system of springs and levers and pulleys but apparently not all that difficult.

It's supposedly not that great though as it can adjust out some of the subtlety in guitar playing. And also guitars by nature shouldn't be perfectly in tune everywhere. It's a perfectly imperfect instrument. Dunno the science of it tbh but if you're playing in a band and your the only one with Evertune there's occasions when you're going to sound a little out of tune.

slunken 02-12-2015 01:25 PM

i don't think i've ever played a guitar that has crazy dive action and i don't think i've ever had a problem with a guitar staying in tune. i guess they are both related.

you're lucky to be able to get a semitone from a gretsch bigsby and that's how i like it

bye june 02-13-2015 01:03 AM

This is my dad's mid-80s Washburn G-2V, I had it worked on and fixed up but...

I still need this screw piece thing for the wonderbar trem...where the fuck would I find one?

My dad said he might be able to get someone to weld one but I don't know.

Elphenor 02-13-2015 01:14 AM

Are you gonna smash it now?