Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

Elphenor 09-03-2016 04:07 PM

Guys I luv guitar

brutechinasky 09-03-2016 07:05 PM

just got my new MIJ left handed jazzmaster CAR
looks dope af

slunken 09-04-2016 05:24 PM

What's a left handed car? Is that like when the steering wheel is on the other side?

brutechinasky 09-04-2016 05:42 PM

Yep it's those things they drive in England

slunken 09-04-2016 05:47 PM

Ah, a bus.

Disco King 09-08-2016 01:25 AM

Going through some old recordings to see which snippets of songs I should develop into full songs.

Was listening to one, and I don't even remember what effect I used, but it was, like, this delay that made this "creaking" sound. I'm guessing it's from when I still had that Zoom G2 multieffects pedal. I wonder what module that would had been. It's a really odd delay sound. Anybody know anything about creaky delays?

I mean, I would just post the audio file so that people can hear what I'm talking about, but I'm really embarrassed about my noodling snippets and don't want to upload anything but finished songs that don't completely suck.

teh b0lly!!1 09-08-2016 02:47 AM

i was like that too but recently i've been posting my hyper embarrassing cell phone demos, so. what's funny is i have some finished, produced tracks from like a year ago and i never posted those.

i'm afraid you'll have to post it because saying 'creaky delay' is like trying to ascertain how a fart smells through the internet.

Disco King 09-08-2016 03:05 AM

Welp, this is the audio clip. Sounds like a flanger and some sort of reverb or delay going on doing this weird creaky thing.

Disco King 09-08-2016 03:06 AM

May as well post that other shitty song I've been working on for the past two days. I'll put it in the other thread.

Elphenor 09-08-2016 09:53 AM

I like gloomy flange ftw

he/she/it 09-13-2016 11:17 AM

For anyone wanting the SD sound, here's an exact replica of the '78 op-amp Big Muff's circuit (you have to solder it together):

http://buildyourownclone.com/collect...er-opamp-kit-1

I think you can hear in this demo video of all the BYOC Muff clones that the op-amp version is distinctly more like the SP fuzz than the other variants. Its fuzz sounds more stable and condensed, to me, and less blooming, or wavy. That probably makes it a bit better for rhythm playing than the other Muffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpTI...youtu.be&t=234

And here's some information on the op-amp Muff, and the use of it to record SD that you've all probably read multiple times before.

http://smashingpumpkinsequipment.blo...-big-muff.html

fluxequalsrad 09-13-2016 05:56 PM

the "creaking" sounds kind of like a reverse reverb.

teh b0lly!!1 09-15-2016 11:32 AM

hey anybody want to talk about some guitar stuff
i miss this thread.

i changed strings for my badass acoustic (Guild D55) and it sounds just fucking incredible. i hate changing strings so much that i always postpone it as much as possible, but the second i am done with it, i am having such a blast just playing, i swear i'll do it more often from now on > repeat

The Omega Concern 09-20-2016 03:02 AM

Got these guys yesterday:

to go along with a PB&J:

to replace my DD-20 and compliment an Echo Pro:

Just did a whirl around the dial of it without much tweaking. I just love the 40 sec looper. Once I get to an overbearing level of Pink Floydness, I reel back in to get real and find something to use from the pedal. It might take a few weeks... : P

Disco King 09-20-2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad (Post 4282382)
the "creaking" sounds kind of like a reverse reverb.

Hmm. I don't think that the multieffects pedal I had at the time had a reverse reverb on it, but I could try one and see if it gives a similar effect.

teh b0lly!!1 09-20-2016 04:23 AM

i listened to that btw disco, i just didn't have an idea as to how it was produced.

it's not reverse reverb. perhaps it samples like a millisecond off the attack, and sends that into a high feedback slap delay, in addition to the other stuff going on. hard to tell though, i'd need to listen to it more closely and without other stuff to get a better idea

he/she/it 09-23-2016 04:45 AM

I've put the aural exciter type-C that I recently got in my amp rack, and have been using it to very good effect. Dialled-in well, it is capable of providing a very nice coloured sheen that makes the top-end stand out more, and the overall sound of a richer character.

It doesn't work with everything, but it definitely takes some heavy tones to the next level, inlaying them with special colours and sizzle. I keep I think I'm going to be keeping it in my rack amp setup.

No audio clips of it to show, right now.

Row 10-09-2016 04:10 AM

[quote=teh b0lly!!1;4282736]hey anybody want to talk about some guitar stuff
i miss this thread.

What kind of gear have you playing with as of late? What's your rig look like? Been working on any songs or anything?

That goes for anybody... Tell me about some of your favorite stuff. Any of it inspired by Billy?

buzzard 10-26-2016 02:37 AM

Would anybody care to provide their theory as to how one might recreate the sound beginning at about 0:40 and continuing throughout the song?

soniclovenoize 10-26-2016 11:36 AM

Sounds like a phaser cranked up with a delay?

Disco King 12-30-2016 03:14 AM

It's been a long time since we've talked gear.

Recently got a Wolf Computer. It's insane.

Just got a new guitar today, too. Silver PRS Tremonti SE.

Not gonna lie, I got it because of the looks (yeah, I know, shallow and objectifying). But since I've only ever owned a Squire Strat and a non-Fender guitar that is essentially identical to a Stratocaster, I thought it'd be cool to go for something a bit different for my next guitar. Humbuckers instead of single-coil pickups. Kinda just looks like a Les Paul, the shape of which I've always found really aesthetically pleasing. Never actually been the biggest fan of the look of the Strat, I just got those guitars because they were inexpensive second-hand and I cared more about just having a guitar than what kind of guitar it was. I've always wanted either a chrome or silver guitar, and the silver color combined with the rounded shape give it a kind of atomic-age feel, IMO. So sexy.

I dunno, some guitars just look cool to me. Like Telecasters. Kinda want one of those in a pastel color, like powder blue, pale pink, mint green, or cream or something. Jazzmasters also look cool as shit, and I like how they don't have that ugly chrome plating that Jaguars have. Gotta get one of those down the line.

Also, am I the only one who really just does not like sunburst guitars, or...? I dunno, it's just an ugly color, IMO.

Disco King 12-30-2016 03:18 AM

One thing I don't dig about the guitar is the shape of the headstock, as it really does deserve something round to complete the whole populuxe/space-age look, rather than that pointy shit that looks like it belongs on some edgy ESP guitar.

redbreegull 12-30-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4306142)
It's been a long time since we've talked gear.

Recently got a Wolf Computer. It's insane.

Not gonna lie, I got it because of the looks (yeah, I know, shallow and objectifying). But since I've only ever owned a Squire Strat and a non-Fender guitar that is essentially identical to a Stratocaster, I thought it'd be cool to go for something a bit different for my next guitar. Humbuckers instead of single-coil pickups. Kinda just looks like a Les Paul, the shape of which I've always found really aesthetically pleasing. Never actually been the biggest fan of the look of the Strat, I just got those guitars because they were inexpensive second-hand and I cared more about just having a guitar than what kind of guitar it was. I've always wanted either a chrome or silver guitar, and the silver color combined with the rounded shape give it a kind of atomic-age feel, IMO. So sexy.

I dunno, some guitars just look cool to me. Like Telecasters. Kinda want one of those in a pastel color, like powder blue, pale pink, mint green, or cream or something. Jazzmasters also look cool as shit, and I like how they don't have that ugly chrome plating that Jaguars have. Gotta get one of those down the line.

Also, am I the only one who really just does not like sunburst guitars, or...? I dunno, it's just an ugly color, IMO.

I think sunburst is ugly as well. My strat is that ugly off-white color of the famous Hendrix guitar, but I feel like it's ugly in a classic way. Sunburst is tacky to me personally. I always LOL when people have sunburst acoustics

Your PRS looks sick. How does it sound/play? They seem to be favored by shred guys, but it's been so long since I played one I can't really remember how they sound or respond.

side note, I lived in the dorm where PRS built his first guitar as part of a self-guided course he did for college credit. wound up dropping out when he realized he had mad luthier skills

teh b0lly!!1 12-31-2016 12:22 AM

noiiiiiiice disco. congrats man.
how much was it?
are you liking the sound? playability?
i always had a distaste for PRS headstocks too.

crabshack 12-31-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4306142)

Kinda just looks like a Les Paul, the shape of which I've always found really aesthetically pleasing.

Assuming you paid full price for yours, this was in the same price range (give or take $75).

Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe Electric Guitar Silver Burst. It's been discontinued so you'd have to track one down. Just mentioning it because it seems like you really wanted a Gibson.

The Omega Concern 12-31-2016 02:42 PM

Recent purchases:

Pettyjohn Fuze Distortion/Fuzz with a mix knob to blend the two circuits. Amazing pedal.

Neunaber Wet with Expander...the future of pedaling is here. This series is also amazing.

The Omega Concern 12-31-2016 03:02 PM

And this: been wanting a Tele for at least a decade now and finally pulled the trigger a couple days ago. Didn't intend on getting it when I walked in the store, and then I sat down to play it. Was a little "errrmmmmm..." on the 'crafted in China' aspect...but, it's a solid guitar that's well built and perfect for modding up the wiring/pickups if so inclined.

crabshack 12-31-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4306553)
Recent purchases:

I really want one of these

redbreegull 12-31-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabshack (Post 4306548)
Assuming you paid full price for yours, this was in the same price range (give or take $75).

Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe Electric Guitar Silver Burst. It's been discontinued so you'd have to track one down. Just mentioning it because it seems like you really wanted a Gibson.

ignorance. that guitar is nothing like a les paul. PRS is a whole different animal

Disco King 12-31-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4306268)
I think sunburst is ugly as well. My strat is that ugly off-white color of the famous Hendrix guitar, but I feel like it's ugly in a classic way. Sunburst is tacky to me personally. I always LOL when people have sunburst acoustics

Your PRS looks sick. How does it sound/play? They seem to be favored by shred guys, but it's been so long since I played one I can't really remember how they sound or respond.

side note, I lived in the dorm where PRS built his first guitar as part of a self-guided course he did for college credit. wound up dropping out when he realized he had mad luthier skills

I don't think Hendrix's Strat was a bad colour, I think the ugliness came from the clashing of the off-white and the white pickguard. But yeah, it's a cool kinda ugly. It looks really old-school, like a washed-out look old photograph.

Corgan had one of the same colour, didn't he? Except I think his had a black pickguard.

The PRS feels good. I can't shred, so I can't say if it is any better than any other guitar for doing that, but it seems like it'd be, because the neck is wider than the necks of my strats, so the strings are further a part, probably meaning less of hitting the wrong string when playing faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4306439)
noiiiiiiice disco. congrats man.
how much was it?
are you liking the sound? playability?
i always had a distaste for PRS headstocks too.

Trying them unplugged, it certainly sounds different from my Strat. More resonant and vibrant, but also more biting and metallic. It's different, though I think I prefer the warmer tone of my Strat unplugged (which is weird, because this looks like a Les Paul, and I always thought that Les Pauls were supposed to be warmer than Strats). Although I don't know enough about guitars to know if the differences in tone I'm hearing are due to the guitars themselves, or just the strings.

After plugging it in, the I realized how versatile the guitar is. The tone knobs on these seem to do a lot more work than the tone knobs on the Strat, and then of course you have a volume knob for each pickup, while the Strat only has a master-volume knob. I can get anything from warm and round to bright and sharp, though I don't think it reaches all the way to the Strat end of things. Which is good, because it means I have two guitars that are good for different sounds now.

But I've never been a tone connoisseur. I'm laid back, so my attitude has always kinda been that I don't go out looking for particular tones, but rather the gear I get is just kinda out of circumstance and whimsy, and whatever it ends up sounding like together is my tone. I like what I get, rather than getting what I like. My main reason for picking up this guitar was that it looks fucking dope.

Gonna post some pics of my own, because it's slightly different from the picture I already posted, and actually cooler looking than that one, IMO. Has chrome knobs rather than just black ones, reinforcing the silvery look even better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabshack (Post 4306548)

I paid $450 CAD for it. It's used. Looking online, full price for a new one is, like, $1000 CAD.

Thanks for letting me know about the Epiphone. It probably has more of that actual Les Paul sound than this one, and would sound more different from what I already have than this one (I've heard somebody say PRS was meant to sound like a cross between a Strat and a Les Paul). But I also think this PRS looks cooler. I don't think I will be trading it for anything else anytime soon.