Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

Elijah Moon 05-15-2023 02:24 PM

I am back to save the universe!

Well, not really. I'm back to make occasional comments, and maybe mention my evening classes.

Cool As Ice Cream 05-15-2023 03:03 PM

that is definitely ok
welcome back

Elijah Moon 05-15-2023 03:29 PM

Thanks

ilikeplanets 05-16-2023 02:33 PM

There was a cannon in the American Civil War called "Whistling Dick" and I can't calm down about it

redbreegull 05-18-2023 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4624442)
and it can't be acoustic

if I bring a strat is there someone who can put lace sensor pickups in it?

Ram27 05-19-2023 12:50 PM

my cat died overnight last night.

she didn't deserve it. she was 10 months old

the world is a worse place

TheAlter 05-19-2023 01:08 PM

God that's terrible

Have fun at the Rainbow Bridge, kid

topleybird 05-19-2023 01:37 PM

Goddamn it, Ram, I'm really sorry to hear that. Just 10 months old, fuck.

ilikeplanets 05-19-2023 01:48 PM

Oh no, that's terrible!!!

slunken 05-19-2023 04:17 PM

sorry, bud

Disco King 05-19-2023 04:21 PM

My condolences, Ram.

vixnix 05-21-2023 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4624237)
No way, if I were there you'd never have that peace :rofl:

Ha. I wish we could catch up sometime!

redbreegull 05-21-2023 05:09 PM

Ram I'm so sorry about your kitty. You're the fourth person I know this week that lost a pet unexpectedly :(

ilikeplanets 05-21-2023 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4625138)
Ha. I wish we could catch up sometime!

I absolutely need a coffee date with someone. I stg I'll go to a Starbucks and Zoom you if I don't get some adult conversation soon! I've had a wretched week and don't have any plans to see anyone until a Shavuot event next Friday. And I'm only "casual pleasant conversation" level with those people.

yo soy el mejor 05-22-2023 09:13 PM

Did that kittie just die in its sleep? that happened to our black cat Mr. Leon a couple years back. One night he was sitting in a spot unusual for him but seemed fine in every other way.

Tommy woke up to feed all the cats and Leon wasn't there with the others. He was just dead on the living room carpet. I could tell by his voice something was wrong and I was in the hall already crying and unable to walk out and realize what was happening. I was just saying 'no' over and over.

the doctors say he had a stroke. we could have paid for an autopsy but that's so expensive and he was already gone. it'd be something else if we needed to pay to find out what was wrong while he was still around. i hate that he died alone. i wrote a poem about him called 'To my friend, Mr. Leon' when it happened but it doesn't really rhyme.

Now I wanna cry about it again! blegh

vixnix 05-25-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4625145)
I absolutely need a coffee date with someone. I stg I'll go to a Starbucks and Zoom you if I don't get some adult conversation soon! I've had a wretched week and don't have any plans to see anyone until a Shavuot event next Friday. And I'm only "casual pleasant conversation" level with those people.

I will do the same, even though our Starbucks is horrible. I’ve been to some really nice ones but our local one has no natural light and is just sad. Let’s do it!

My oldest kid just went to a Starbucks much closer to you! He’s on an all-expenses paid visit to a U.S. college (!! How can he be this old). Just crazy, the money your colleges have….

But I am left behind! Of course. Nobody cares about meeting me. So I will zoom you from the world’s dingiest Starbucks lol

vixnix 05-25-2023 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4625031)
my cat died overnight last night.

she didn't deserve it. she was 10 months old

the world is a worse place

So sorry Ram, I scrolled without reading :(. She was so young. Hope you are ok

ilikeplanets 05-25-2023 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4625463)
I will do the same, even though our Starbucks is horrible. I’ve been to some really nice ones but our local one has no natural light and is just sad. Let’s do it!

My oldest kid just went to a Starbucks much closer to you! He’s on an all-expenses paid visit to a U.S. college (!! How can he be this old). Just crazy, the money your colleges have….

But I am left behind! Of course. Nobody cares about meeting me. So I will zoom you from the world’s dingiest Starbucks lol

Where in the US?

The colleges charge inordinate amounts of money for every single aspect of education, hence their ridiculous amounts of money

When I attended a university 15 years ago (omfg) textbooks alone could be $500+ a pop

ilikeplanets 05-25-2023 09:51 PM

How the fuck am I this old, though

Fonzie 05-26-2023 03:29 AM

Starbucks? Jesus.

vixnix 05-26-2023 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4625466)
Where in the US?

The colleges charge inordinate amounts of money for every single aspect of education, hence their ridiculous amounts of money

When I attended a university 15 years ago (omfg) textbooks alone could be $500+ a pop

He was in California, but on his way home now…

$500 USD for one textbook is crazy. I’ve been meaning to check if textbooks are covered in the supposed all encompassing fee. Apparently we’d be eligible for financial aid (and it would be a serious discount because the NZ dollar is weak against the USD) (and because we don’t earn that much even by NZ standards)

vixnix 05-26-2023 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4625467)

I know this feeling. My 14 year old’s teacher asked if I was his sister, at a parent teacher interview the other night, though. So maybe I don’t look that old. I mean, I do. It was really awkward. And then to have to confirm it “no. I am his mother. I am old” was very ageing

Omg plus the other day a workmate told me he was born in 1996, and I said oh that was a good year, the smashing pumpkins came that year, and he said “I don’t know who that is”

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fonzie (Post 4625478)
Starbucks? Jesus.

I love Starbucks. I’m a Wellington coffee snob from way back but I’ve enjoyed a lot of Starbucks too. Pumpkin spice latte 4eva <3. But the Wellington Starbucks is very depressing

Cool As Ice Cream 05-26-2023 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4625489)
Omg plus the other day a workmate told me he was born in 1996, and I said oh that was a good year, the smashing pumpkins came that year, and he said “I don’t know who that is”

lololo

Ram27 05-26-2023 10:38 AM

joke's on him i have 10k posts here

ilikeplanets 05-26-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

I know this feeling. My 14 year old’s teacher asked if I was his sister, at a parent teacher interview the other night, though. So maybe I don’t look that old. I mean, I do. It was really awkward. And then to have to confirm it “no. I am his mother. I am old” was very ageing

Yeah, my little one's doctor asked if I had Instagram so I could look up whatever there, and I am old and do not. I've never evolved beyond Facebook and won't. And I have the deadest Facebook ever, having chased whatever likes I'd get away with incessant photos of my kids. I'm not getting an Instagram to repeat myself there for 6 likes.

Disco King 05-26-2023 06:10 PM

Even though intellectually, I know that life doesn't end at some arbitrary age and that worthwhile experiences happen at every age and that people generally get more financially and emotionally secure after their early adulthood, I still can't get myself to actually feel that way about life. It feels like I'm not looking forward to anything and missed out on a lot of those fun, carefree youthful experiences.

Intellectually, I know there is no age cutoff for backpacking across Europe and Asia for months without a plan, but it still feels like well duh I'm not going to have some magical quirky wanton adventure when I'm 42. I'm going to be complaining about property taxes and parental leave work policies with my three friends that I go to the neighbourhood sports bar with on Thursday evenings.

Disco King 05-26-2023 06:17 PM

I'm relying on the quite optimistic assumption that my generation will enjoy economic conditions as favourable as past generations did.

In reality, I will still be renting at 42.

MyOneAndOnly 05-26-2023 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4625467)

wait till you're my age! LOL

MyOneAndOnly 05-26-2023 06:58 PM

Quote:

I have someone working for me that was born in 99. And they have an MBA!

My first divorce was in 99

Ram27 05-26-2023 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4625535)
Even though intellectually, I know that life doesn't end at some arbitrary age and that worthwhile experiences happen at every age and that people generally get more financially and emotionally secure after their early adulthood, I still can't get myself to actually feel that way about life. It feels like I'm not looking forward to anything and missed out on a lot of those fun, carefree youthful experiences.

Intellectually, I know there is no age cutoff for backpacking across Europe and Asia for months without a plan, but it still feels like well duh I'm not going to have some magical quirky wanton adventure when I'm 42. I'm going to be complaining about property taxes and parental leave work policies with my three friends that I go to the neighbourhood sports bar with on Thursday evenings.

i'm definitely coping with 'i am a normal boring person and that's all i'll ever be and shit i'm not even doing normal and boring right' as i'm about to turn 27 in august

the stability and lack of .... care about fitting in is quite pleasant; but the feeling of lost hope / opportunity sometimes hits like a freight train

LaBelle 05-26-2023 07:06 PM

As pumpkins fans (lapsed or active) it's our duty to make sure the next generations just live in ignorant bliss of the band.
It's not worth it!

Joey Goldberg 05-26-2023 07:21 PM

we tell them they broke up in the early 2000s, came back briefly in the late 2000s for a solid record + tour then said "nah, we made the right decision the first time!" and called it a day to go make tea & jazz

MyOneAndOnly 05-26-2023 08:48 PM

everything Jimmy plays is jazz

Joey Goldberg 05-26-2023 08:54 PM

Ram27 05-27-2023 02:45 PM

noise complaint #1 [The Musician's Burden] in my apartment of 2 years. lease renewal coming up.... someone new just moved in across from me

charitably speaking, i suppose they're stressed from the move. but like, 1 PM on a Saturday come on dude.

at least leave a note instead of calling the land baron

yo soy el mejor 05-31-2023 01:28 PM

he's a dick. print out the city noise ordinance hours and put it on his door...or just write them out; this is coming from someone who takes noise seriously because i make it and am annoyed by it. you just gotta know when you can without dicks being dicks about it.

i woke up to my white gentrifier neighbor's kid banging on his drum at midnight and i know for sure that is illegal so i called the cops because i will readily call the cops on a white skirting the law no hesitation

yo soy el mejor 05-31-2023 01:33 PM

Chicago Noise Ordinance

Quiet time is generally designated between 10 PM and 8 AM in any area within 600 feet of a residential district.

Activities involving loading, unloading, opening, closing or other handling of boxes, crates, containers, building materials, garbage cans, dumpsters or similar objects must not be done in a manner as to cause a noise disturbance between 10 PM and 7 AM.

Motorized equipment (e.g. at construction sites) are not allowed to operate between 8 PM and 8 AM.
plus this: https://www.chicago.gov/dam/city/dep...ionControl.pdf
Note that City of Chicago work (e.g. water & sewer mains, road construction etc.) and emergency private utility work are exempt from the City’s noise ordinance.

If you feel a particular situation requires emergency attention, you can call 9-1-1.

ilikeplanets 05-31-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4625923)
i will readily call the cops on a white skirting the law no hesitation

A wee bit scary! I'm moving across the country and my incoming 1st grader will be zoned for a school that is 71% "Hispanic/Latino" (website's phrasing) and 6% white. My fear is that no one will want to be friends with her (or me), and my hope is that we make some amazing friends. She will be totally oblivious to anyone that would comment on her appearance in any fashion, aside from compliments about her hairstyle and shoes. I hate race politics from every damn direction. :(

ilikeplanets 05-31-2023 01:57 PM

Del double post .

ilikeplanets 05-31-2023 01:58 PM

Not that I think you're the ambassador for everyone's opinions, but I am curious about your thoughts since you're honest and insightful. Are we doomed to be friendless? I don't want to be mistrusted but I get it.