Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Deftones (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187012)

Joey Goldberg 09-29-2020 04:03 PM

Veggie I think you may just be having a bad week

that first line of yours in particular is quite wrong - This Link is Dead is quite blatantly the WGTB of the album & it has quite a bit in the way of beautiful epics, this may be their dreamiest record yet while still maintaining that "red-hot" attack when neccesary. i dunno i was holding off on hyping this up too much after Gore but it really is fucking good

ninsp 09-29-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561400)
I'm disappointed. Few magic moments but nothing that really plays to their strengths: no ultra heavy stuff like When Girls Telephone Boys, Leathers or Rats Rats Rats, no beautiful epics al a Tempest, Ditial Bath or Rosemary and no big hitting singles such as Change. Kind of sounds like they hashed it out in week - the verses in particular sound lazy to me.

Went on a long walk and listened to the magical triumvirate of Self Titled, Saturday Night Wrist (slightly ruined by putting that plonker from System of a Down on a perfectly good song) and Koi No Yokan consecutively and this is a loooooong way off. I mean, that faaaaaahkin' guitar tone in Poltergeist! The distortion on this one is like late 70s British High gain. I might even prefer Gore.

I mean it's nowhere near as far removed from peak Deftones as the last five SP releases have been from peak SP, I'd still say its a good album; unlike the SP counterparts.

Hey you’re a fucking idiot
The production alone makes this better than Gore
This is prob the best Deftones album

houseofglass11 09-30-2020 03:06 AM

Not even close to their best album. But it is good. For me Gore had more memorable songs. The new album is competent and well executed I just don’t think there are that many hooks.

MyKeyZ 09-30-2020 05:43 AM

Ohms is good. High mid tier Deftones. Not their best album, but, honestly, I prefer Gore over Ohms. I*connected with Gore right away. I will even say that Gore has more memorable songs. The production on Gore does not bother me and adds to the vibe they were going for. It felt like Deftones doing something new. Ohms feels more like Deftones reacting to those who whined about Gore's direction and now they are forced to make a "Deftones sounding" album. Deftones trying to be Deftones. And, sure, Deftones can still pull it off. But something still feels a little been there, done that to me with Ohms. In my book, Gore had more interesting and unique songs and did things I didn't expect. Ohms is not bad. I quite enjoy it. But Gore is better and I connected with it more instantly. I wish this album was more dirty sounding like Self Titled or even Gore. It's a little too polished.

ninsp 09-30-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561470)
It may well be better than Gore, but if you think this is the best Deftones album, I would never ask you for your opinion on my music.

Dunk your head into a bowl of water and never bring it back up thanks

ninsp 09-30-2020 08:23 AM

Well, good to know the music taste of Netphoria is that garbage considering the RYM, Sputnik and Metacritic scores agree with me

MyKeyZ 09-30-2020 11:41 AM

"Metacritic agrees with me" LOL
While you're at it, does Pitchfork agree with you as well?
You must feel so validated. We're glad your tastes go with the majority of people.
You must love Katy Perry too because she gets favorable scores as well.

ninsp 09-30-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKeyZ (Post 4561491)
"Metacritic agrees with me" LOL
While you're at it, does Pitchfork agree with you as well?
You must feel so validated. We're glad your tastes go with the majority of people.
You must love Katy Perry too because she gets favorable scores as well.

Eh she doesnít

Joey Goldberg 09-30-2020 01:49 PM

even in a toilet bowl, a veggie will grow!

Elphenor 09-30-2020 02:59 PM

NMH are better than Soundgarden

ninsp 09-30-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4561514)
NMH are better than Soundgarden

Accurate

Joey Goldberg 09-30-2020 03:47 PM

it's cool that they referenced Avery Island in that one album, i'll say that much

smashingjj 09-30-2020 06:14 PM

yes, fuck yr life

houseofglass11 09-30-2020 11:39 PM

NMH blows. Soundgarden was godly.

ninsp 10-01-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofglass11 (Post 4561584)
NMH blows. Soundgarden was godly.

Clearly you do not love Jesus Christ!

MyKeyZ 10-01-2020 01:33 AM

Gore got a high metascore 81 and user score 8.0 on Metacritic

Pitchfork rated Ohms a 7.6...

And rated Gore a 7.8

"Gore*is easily Deftones’ most engaging record since*White Pony, filled with carefully crafted hooks disguised as bridges and transition. As with all of their best music,*it sounds like*the brutal, beautiful result of*the band being passionate enough to rip each other’s heads off."

So it seems Gore is the usual whiny vocal minority crying about its muddy mix cuz they don't understand the sound Deftones was going for.

ninsp 10-01-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKeyZ (Post 4561591)
Gore got a high metascore 81 and user score 8.0 on Metacritic

Pitchfork rated Ohms a 7.6...

And rated Gore a 7.8

"Gore*is easily Deftonesí most engaging record since*White Pony, filled with carefully crafted hooks disguised as bridges and transition. As with all of their best music,*it sounds like*the brutal, beautiful result of*the band being passionate enough to rip each otherís heads off."

So it seems Gore is the usual whiny vocal minority crying about its muddy mix cuz they don't understand the sound Deftones was going for.

I like Gore quite a bit and have never understood the divided reception, it sounds like a Deftones album. But there is something odd about it. I think itís the production, Chino sounds awful on it.

Joey Goldberg 10-01-2020 01:07 PM

Gore's not muddy it's just kind of fucked sounding - beyond that i like it, it's just not one of my favs & certainly not better than the new one to me

toase 10-01-2020 05:53 PM

urantia makes me wanna twerk

that riff is gorgeous

ninsp 10-01-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg (Post 4561610)
Gore's not muddy it's just kind of fucked sounding - beyond that i like it, it's just not one of my favs & certainly not better than the new one to me

Itís definitely just an odd sounding album
The production isnít bad, just off and weird