View Full Version : Koko the Gorilla to break into music biz...

Tessellation
11-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I'm very curious. I definitely want to download it:

'Talking' Gorilla Puts Out a CD
Wed Nov 6, 7:27 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Koko, California's famous "talking" gorilla, is breaking into song.

The 31-year-old lowland gorilla, who is said to have mastered some 1,000 terms in American sign language, has "written" lyrics for a new album which should be available by the end of the week, her keepers said on Tuesday.

"The songs show a real depth of emotion. She's a complex person, just like we are," said Jennifer Patterson, a spokeswoman for the California-based Gorilla Foundation near San Francisco that has been Koko's home for some three decades.

The album, entitled "Fine Animal Gorilla" after Koko's term for herself, runs the gamut of musical styles from low intensity rap and reggae to lullabies.

While Koko herself does not sing on the album -- that is left to human vocalists -- she did sign off on the song lyrics and delivery.

"We pretty much run all our lyrics by Koko," album producer Skip Haynes told KCBS radio. "Now, she's getting to the point where she actually listens to different mixes and tells us what mix she likes."

Patterson said the CD would be available through the foundation's Web site (http://www.koko.org), and was expected to cost about $14.

Koko is one of several gorillas which reputedly learned the basics of American Sign Language, and has frequently been pressed into service as an ambassador for her species. Lowland gorillas like Koko are threatened by logging and poaching in their native habitats in central Africa, while their cousins, the mountain gorillas, now number fewer than 500 in the wild.

THRILLHO
11-07-2002, 10:55 PM
looks like insane and horribly weird-ass recordings in the tradition of wesly willis, chris burke and the kids of widney high has a new sucessor!

beef curtains
11-08-2002, 04:17 PM
this is some of the most bizarre shit i've ever read!

then again, its not that much different than jewel poetry/lyrics :think:

Tessellation
11-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by So very sad about me
this is some of the most bizarre shit i've ever read!

then again, its not that much different than jewel poetry/lyrics :think:

it will probably be better than some "Kid A/Amnesiac" lyrics, too...

mono
11-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Tessellation
The album, entitled "Fine Animal Gorilla" after Koko's term for herself, runs the gamut of musical styles from low intensity rap and reggae to lullabies.

WATCH OUT MAX MARTIN!! HERE COMES KOKO!!!