View Full Version : the elephant six is officially dead. hurrah!

patrick
10-22-2002, 03:22 PM
from pitchfork:

Well, it's finally official. After nearly two year's worth of rumors and speculation, a recent piece in Toronto newsweekly The Eye has confirmed that the Elephant 6 collective started by Ruston, LA chums Robert Schneider, Jeff Mangum, Bill Doss, and Will Cullen Hart in the early 90's is "effectively defunct". The article, which refers to Elephant 6 in the past tense, notes that the purpose of the collective (to elevate awareness of underground bands affiliated with the then-fledgling Apples In Stereo) has more or less run its course, peaking with Warner imprint Sire's major-label distribution of the Apples' Toul Soul Evolution in 1998.

Two of the collective's founding bands-- The Olivia Tremor Control and Neutral Milk Hotel-- are unlikely to be resurrected soon, at least not in the glorious full-band touring incarnations of four years ago. Other Elephant 6 flagship bands have since found berths at indies such as SpinART, Kindercore, Emperor Norton, and Velocette, or started their own ventures (most notably Orange Twin and Cloud Recordings). None of the current releases from Elephant 6-affiliated bands (the Apples' Velocity of Sound, Elf Power's Nothing's Going To Happen, or Of Montreal's Aldhils Arboretum) bear the collective's distinctive handdrawn logo.

The competing Happy Happy Birthday To Me and Kindercore singles clubs, which cranked out limited-edition seven-inchers with handmade covers from Elephant 6-affiliated bands, folded in December 2000 and December 2001, respectively. The last two Kindercore singles club efforts, including a much-ballyhooed Essex Green/Sunshine Fix split single, were plagued by pointless, months-long delays (and are still listed as "forthcoming" on Kindercore's official website). Some Kindercore subscribers, who had paid in full for the singles in advance, were lured by a promised Olivia Tremor Control single that never materialized.

Last year, the bloated collective was forced to make a formal distinction between which bands are actually part of the collective and which bands are actually part of the "extended family" of Elephant 6, which lead to some pretty baffling exclusions (obscure side projects like Dixie Blood Moustache and Von Hemmling are full-blown Elephant 6'ers, while better-known acts including Of Montreal are considered family). "Everybody's still friends, but it got really confusing," Apples drummer Hilarie Sidney told The Eye. "Robert and I were sick of dealing with the record-label end of it and, honestly, we were just ready to move on, and I think everybody else was too."

"Extended family" member Derek Almstead of Of Montreal is quick to point out, however, that the members of the Elephant 6 members remain friends and are continuing their creative endeavors under different guises (see Circulatory System tour story below). "Nothing's really changed actually, just re-cast and reformed," Almstead writes in a post to the official Elephant 6 webboard. "We're all still here churning it out, and we all still help each other." But as for the logo that for many signified Elephant 6's entire purpose of affiliation and endorsement, Almstead was more blunt: "Oh yeah, the stamp is totally dead. Free your mind! It's not about a stamp!"

Elephant 6, originally conceived as sort of a fantasy label for those involved, did in fact become an actual label in 1993 with the self-release of the Apples In Stereo's debut seven-inch. The label hit its zenith around 1997, when Elephant 6 were actively recruiting new members of the collective and released the debut singles from Beulah and the Minders. The label also distributed releases by Marbles (Schneider's solo project), Secret Square (Sidney's side project), and The Music Tapes. The whole shebang is lovingly detailed on Green Typewriter's excellent unofficial Elephant 6 website linked below.

The decade-long reign of Elephant 6 is set to be documented in a final label compilation, according to Sidney, though it's been on the back burner for more than two years: "That's how organized we are."

spa ced
10-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Not that I care so much but fuck off you brit pop asshole.

patrick
10-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sp_aced
Not that I care so much but fuck off you brit pop asshole. it is you who is the stupid
one between the board and us

YOU WILL LEARN SOON, SON

Best Looking Boy
10-22-2002, 04:27 PM
You missed the important news

Circulatory System
11-13 Newport, KY - Southgate House
11-14 Chicago, IL - Schuba's Tavern
11-15 Columbia, MO - Shattered
11-16 Ames, IA - Octagon Center. for the Arts
11-17 Lawrence, KS - Replay Lounge
11-18 Denver, CO - 15th Street Tavern *
11-20 Boise, ID - Neurolux *
11-21 Portland, OR - Lola's
11-22 Seattle, WA - Crocodile Cafe (w/The Minus 5)
11-24 San Francisco, CA - Make Out Room
11-26 Los Angeles, CA - Spaceland
11-27 Tucson, AZ - Club Congress *
11-29 Denton, TX - Rubber Gloves
11-30 Austin, TX - Mercury
12-01 New Orleans, LA - Mermaid Lounge
12-02 Jackson, MS - Martin's Lounge
12-03 Atlanta, GA - The Earl

Best Looking Boy
10-22-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm not necessarily trying to be mean here, because I'm not up for it, I don't really think you should condemn music you aren't familiar with. I know you're just trying to be anti-hype or whatever. But I mean I rag on you about the Beatles but I love the Beatles. A lot of people in e6 put out some fucking awesome records; Olivia Tremor Control, Circulatory System, Neutral Milk Hotel. Some of them might seem overtly derivative to you, but that's silly... all music is derivative and these bands are just as innovative as anything else right now or when their records came out. You listen to brit pop which is essentially the beatles rehashed in the modern day. I don't really see how e6 is any different.
It's kind of silly to say 'hurrah'. A lot of the music I make fun of I end up liking.
<font color="black">

patrick
10-22-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
I'm not necessarily trying to be mean here, because I'm not up for it, I don't really think you should condemn music you aren't familiar with. I know you're just trying to be anti-hype or whatever. But I mean I rag on you about the Beatles but I love the Beatles. A lot of people in e6 put out some fucking awesome records; Olivia Tremor Control, Circulatory System, Neutral Milk Hotel. Some of them might seem overtly derivative to you, but that's silly... all music is derivative and these bands are just as innovative as anything else right now or when their records came out. You listen to brit pop which is essentially the beatles rehashed in the modern day. I don't really see how e6 is any different.
It's kind of silly to say 'hurrah'. A lot of the music I make fun of I end up liking.
well, to be honest, you're partially correct; i'm not as familiar as i could be with the e6 collective. but i can honestly say that, with the exception of a few apples in stereo song, i haven't liked any of it. i hate the NMH "masterpiece", and just am not a fan of anything i've heard by olivia tremor control, circulatory system, etc. keep in mind, though, i never played the derivitave card -- i'm a HUGE belle and sebastian fan, so it would be completely hypocritical to do so. sure, the "hurrah" was said just to piss people off (which it obviously did, see sp_aced's response), a game i know you're quite familiar with. but, the whole collective just isn't my bag.

patrick
10-22-2002, 04:49 PM
a sidenote: don't listen to anything i say, anyhow. i hate the stooges but love thee michelle gun elephant. so. eh. who knows.

lucky_13
10-22-2002, 05:51 PM
its not "dead." all the bands are pretty much alive and cranking out records for you to enjoy patrick.

patrick
10-22-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by lucky_13
its not "dead." all the bands are pretty much alive and cranking out records for you to enjoy patrick. i never said the bands were dead, now did i?

tear stained glass
10-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by failure
a sidenote: don't listen to anything i say, anyhow. i hate the stooges but love thee michelle gun elephant. so. eh. who knows. Name-dropper. "Ooh, think of how cool they'll all think I am if I mention a Japanese revivalist rock band no one ever mentions!"

sawdust restaurants
10-22-2002, 06:26 PM
I love me some E6, but this announcement is kind of anticlimatic.

beef curtains
10-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by tear stained glass
Name-dropper. "Ooh, think of how cool they'll all think I am if I mention a Japanese revivalist rock band no one ever mentions!"

you were obviously masturbating over it

Jesse Miller
10-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by lucky_13
its not "dead." all the bands are pretty much alive and cranking out records for you to enjoy patrick.

I just got the new Of Montreal last night... Fucking awesome. Jennifer Louise is too cool for words...

Cactuar
10-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Jesse Miller

I just got the new Of Montreal last night... Fucking awesome. Jennifer Louise is too cool for words... Horrah! That is also my favourite song from the album!

And fuck you, bitches. E6 foreva! Brit Pop Neva!

Um yeah. On a certain messageboard, Derek of Of Montreal said effectively it still exists.

Fuck the Schneiders.