View Full Version : Now that over 3 years have passed since tKoL, how do you rank Radiohead's discography

Pages : [1] 2

Banana
04-04-2014, 10:33 PM
The rare band without a bad album with at least 4 albums released, so quite possibly the best active band of our time.

1. In Rainbows
2. The King of Limbs
3. OK Computer
4. Kid A
5. The Bends
6. Hail to the Thief
7. Amnesiac
8. Pablo Honey

5-7 are really interchangeable though.

Banana
04-04-2014, 11:07 PM
There's also a quasi EP/LP that you can put together of single tracks released before and after tKoL. I have them grouped together under an album title in my iTunes as listed:

1. These Are My Twisted Words
2. The Butcher
3. Staircase
4. Supercollider
5. Harry Patch (In Memory Of)
6. The Daily Mail

If there were two more to add to that it could find itself into the 5-7 mix on the album list.

Raskolnikov
04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
3. Kid A
4. In Rainbows
5. Hail To The Thief
6. Amnesiac
7. The King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey

7 and 8 are interchangeable.

Shallowed
04-05-2014, 01:00 AM
1. Amnesiac
2. Kid A
3. OK Computer
4. In Rainbows
5. The King of Limbs
6. The Bends
7. Hail to the Thief
8. Pablo Honey

redbreegull
04-05-2014, 01:53 AM
1. In Rainbows
2. The Bends
3. OK Computer
4. Kid A
5. Pablo Honey
6. The King of Limbs
7. Hail to the Thief
8. Amnesiac

Catherine Wheel
04-05-2014, 04:01 AM
1. Amnesiac
2. OK Computer
3. KOL
4. Kid A
5. Hail To The Thief
6. The Bends
7. In Rainbows
8. Pablo Honey

Rairun
04-05-2014, 06:13 AM
1. OK Computer
2. Amnesiac
3. Kid A
4. The Bends
5. Hail to the Thief
6. In Rainbows
7. The King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey

Couldn't really get into their music post In Rainbows.

soniclovenoize
04-05-2014, 09:21 AM
OKC
Kid A
HTTT
In Rainbows
The Bends
Limbs
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

bloop
04-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Kid A
OKC
In Rainbows
The Bends
Amnesiac
Hail to the Thief
King of Limbs

Pablo Honey

Banana
04-05-2014, 11:40 AM
So safe to say Amnesiac and The King of Limbs are the two albums where there isn't much of a consensus on.

smashingjj
04-05-2014, 03:17 PM
yes there is, most people agree tkol is one of their weakest

Banana
04-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't say that.

And those people are just misinformed.

Order 66
04-05-2014, 05:57 PM
i still can't get into king of limbs. but i appreciate it for what it is i guess... not every album needs to be a knockout

amnesiac will always be my favorite probably. mostly because nostalgia

Catherine Wheel
04-05-2014, 06:00 PM
I've listened to KOL more than I've listened to Kid A.

I have no nostalgia associated with Amnesiac. I like it so much because it just seems to be such a quality piece of work. Easily better than OK Computer or Kid A.

Trotskilicious
04-05-2014, 07:07 PM
KID A
THE BENDS
THE REST

Order 66
04-05-2014, 07:10 PM
amnesiac is when i first discovered a certain herb so it'll alays be the modern dark side of the moon to me. plus i took a certain hit something during the amnesiac tour show

SPRING BREAK '98

Trotskilicious
04-05-2014, 07:13 PM
i listen to SP more than i do radiohead, i'm pretty goddamn tired of radiohead

Banana
04-05-2014, 08:11 PM
There are so many different layers within the songs on tKoL. You can listen to it and focus in on something else each time and have a completely different listening experience. It's a work of art.

Raskolnikov
04-05-2014, 08:43 PM
There are so many different layers within the songs on tKoL. You can listen to it and focus in on something else each time and have a completely different listening experience. It's a work of art.

And the same can't be said about OKC? Or Kid A?

Agree with the post above: I'd consider myself a big Radiohead fan, but really just can't quite get into anything TKOL forward. That's not to say I won't keep trying, but still - just hasn't done much for me.

Banana
04-05-2014, 08:58 PM
No, not at all near the extent of tKoL. It's all so intricate.

smashingjj
04-05-2014, 09:29 PM
lol. you are intricate

Banana
04-06-2014, 12:46 AM
There's so much going on. All these little parts thrown together that on the top just sounds like chaos. As if it's just repeating noise for the sake of it. But it's all there for a reason and it all works separately on it's own yet it's all weaved together perfectly.

You can listen to that song repeatedly and each time just choosing one of the layers to listen to. And that layer alone is it's own brilliant song and it almost seems like they are doing their own part with no connection to any other. Then you listen again but focus on just another layer. All their own brilliant songs. But they are all so weaved together perfectly and blend so well and react perfectly to the corresponding layers. It's fucking beautiful like a classic painting.

I don't smoke anymore but if you smoke and listen to this at night in the dark with headphones on and really focus in on all the different parts you can see the whole picture of theses songs and see the mastery of it all.

Yeah, you get it to a small extent on other records of theirs and Thom Yorke especially with his other music projects and other musicians. But nothing close to the mastery and perfection of tKoL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1g6R89fCUBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's almost a journey of sorts because the album starts with the most complex and full tracks with Bloom and Mr. Morning Magpie but very slowly yet gradually drifts into a more calmed and less clustered creation. Almost more organic of earth while the beginning of the album is more chaotic like the surrounding universe. It truly is an album that needs to be listened to in it's entirety to really appreciate it. That's why it was so short. Because it needs to be listened to in full, not just certain songs and out of place. It's also got so much going on that it offers more than some other album that is 20-30 minutes longer in length.

Bread Regal
04-06-2014, 01:07 AM
never mustered the patience to listen to that shit.

Catherine Wheel
04-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Bloom is an amazing song. So ethereal and otherworldly sounding. Most of the other tracks on KOL don't live up to the standards set by Bloom no matter how good they are.

TuralyonW3
04-06-2014, 01:33 AM
I guess:

Tier 1:
OK Computer
Kid A

Tier 2:
Hail to the Thief
In Rainbows
The Bends

Tier 3:
Amnesiac
King of Limbs

Tier 4:
Pablo Honey

Trotskilicious
04-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Bloom is an amazing song. So ethereal and otherworldly sounding. Most of the other tracks on KOL don't live up to the standards set by Bloom no matter how good they are.

separator was my favorite but that album was easily forgotten

banana you didn't listen to kid a or okay comptor hard enough

I'm Hardcore
04-06-2014, 06:10 AM

or just don't agree with you

I'm Hardcore
04-06-2014, 06:10 AM
1). Amnesiac
8). King Of Limbs

Lucky Day Spa
04-06-2014, 06:23 AM
listen most: kid a / amnesiac / httt / in rainbows / tkol
listen occasionally: ok computer / the bends
listen never: pablo honey

can't rank them in order because i don't always want the same thing from a record. familiarity, consistency, texture, brevity, lyricism, variety, etc. – i am volatile, a free spirit, a rogue agent

Lucky Day Spa
04-06-2014, 06:24 AM
probably safe to say that my favourite radiohead song since "everything in its right place" is "the daily mail", though, but that's not on any of the albums

Elphenor
04-06-2014, 07:16 AM
1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
3. Kid A

4. Hail to the thief
5. In Rainbows
6. Amnesiac
7. King of Limbs

8. Pablo Honey

brutechinasky
04-06-2014, 07:48 AM
pablo honey is their best
they haven't released a decent album since amnesiac

smashingjj
04-06-2014, 08:47 AM
i was informed that it wasn't as good as most their other records so i just took over that opinion

Banana
04-06-2014, 11:34 AM
probably safe to say that my favourite radiohead song since "everything in its right place" is "the daily mail", though, but that's not on any of the albums

Yeah the daily mail is easily one of my favorite songs ever made by them. Also the last song they've released. It's been too long.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/McuHVXgR8dA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Banana
04-06-2014, 11:45 AM
separator was my favorite but that album was easily forgotten

banana you didn't listen to kid a or okay comptor hard enough

Oh I have, but Kid A and OK Computer don't have anywhere near close to the amount of layers and thickness of the texture that are present on tKoL. There's definitely a present at points full texture on those albums but not at all like the texture with everything going on at once almost seemingly incoherently at face value and then coming together and culminating perfectly like it does on tKoL. tKoL is just in an entirely different league of it's own in that regard. That's ok though and doesn't take anything away from those two albums because what they were going for on Kid A and OK Computer isn't the same thing that they were going for on tKoL.

Idioteque is probably the closest thing from those two albums that would be able to fit on tKoL but even then I feel like it would be a bit out of place since tKoL is most definitely a clear conscious journey/path from the start to the end of the album and each song is clearly structured the way it is to fit that journey and the gradual change of course that the album takes you on.

Banana
04-06-2014, 11:51 AM
tKoL is definitely going to be one of those albums that people appreciate far more many years after it's been released when they are able to separate themselves from the hype and expectations they had for a new Radiohead album and actually listen to tKoL without any preset bias and take it in for all that it's worth. Once you're able to really listen and appreciate everything that is going on with that album you are able see what an amazing work of art it is.

soniclovenoize
04-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't say that.

How can someone be misinformed about their own opinion?

slunken
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
when i heard in rainbows and then tkol the band finally seemed like a complete caricature of itself. glitchy yet slightly dancy rhythms? check. whining/moaning/on the verge of crying vocals? check. walking guitar and bass parts? check.

i fell out of this band around hail to the thief so take that for what it's worth.

I'm Hardcore
04-07-2014, 12:26 AM
How can someone be misinformed about their own opinion?

Banana basically idolizes Kanye West

Trotskilicious
04-07-2014, 03:05 AM
i like kanye

Cool As Ice Cream
04-07-2014, 03:39 AM
There's so much going on. All these little parts thrown together that on the top just sounds like chaos. As if it's just repeating noise for the sake of it. But it's all there for a reason and it all works separately on it's own yet it's all weaved together perfectly.

You can listen to that song repeatedly and each time just choosing one of the layers to listen to. And that layer alone is it's own brilliant song and it almost seems like they are doing their own part with no connection to any other. Then you listen again but focus on just another layer. All their own brilliant songs. But they are all so weaved together perfectly and blend so well and react perfectly to the corresponding layers. It's fucking beautiful like a classic painting.

I don't smoke anymore but if you smoke and listen to this at night in the dark with headphones on and really focus in on all the different parts you can see the whole picture of theses songs and see the mastery of it all.

Yeah, you get it to a small extent on other records of theirs and Thom Yorke especially with his other music projects and other musicians. But nothing close to the mastery and perfection of tKoL.

It's almost a journey of sorts because the album starts with the most complex and full tracks with Bloom and Mr. Morning Magpie but very slowly yet gradually drifts into a more calmed and less clustered creation. Almost more organic of earth while the beginning of the album is more chaotic like the surrounding universe. It truly is an album that needs to be listened to in it's entirety to really appreciate it. That's why it was so short. Because it needs to be listened to in full, not just certain songs and out of place. It's also got so much going on that it offers more than some other album that is 20-30 minutes longer in length.

This shit was clean....bc I've had bad trips in the past...but these trips were so enlightening...I transcended. I just wish I could remember what exactly I realized about the universe at that particular moment....now it's long gone. All I remember during my trip was that it was CONSTANT deja vu....really constant....my sister and friends, we were doing the same things saying the same things....everything happened over and over. I think that tripping some how made my consciousness to transcend which enabled me to witness multiple parallel universes. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I'm Hardcore
04-07-2014, 06:13 AM
i like kanye

that's great man!

Shallowed
04-07-2014, 06:44 AM
when they are able to separate themselves from the hype and expectations they had for a new Radiohead album and actually listen to tKoL without any preset bias and take it in for all that it's worth.

So you're saying that it didn't live up to the hype it got? The hype being that it was expected to be a very good record?

Banana
04-07-2014, 12:50 PM
So you're saying that it didn't live up to the hype it got? The hype being that it was expected to be a very good record?

The hype of it being something other than what it was. People were expecting something more traditional like In Rainbows.

Banana
04-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Banana basically idolizes Kanye West

Yeah I idolize one of the most brilliant musical minds of our time, how terrible.

Oh wait, it's cool to hate Kanye and disregard his musical brilliance and consistent output of instantly classic albums.

smashingjj
04-07-2014, 02:46 PM
yes it is

you can have another opinion

like, it's one of the most ridiculous and annoying people on earth, which happens to be my opinion

Trotskilicious
04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
it's more about how you dickride him so hard you might be gay

Trotskilicious
04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
all of the lights
all
of
the
lights

Banana
04-07-2014, 04:54 PM
yes it is

you can have another opinion

like, it's one of the most ridiculous and annoying people on earth, which happens to be my opinion

Him as an person has nothing to do with him an artist.

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
tKoL is definitely going to be one of those albums that people appreciate far more many years after it's been released

certainly not true. TKOL is ok, but it is not in the top 50% of their releases and it will always be dwarfed by the total awesomeness of In Rainbows.

as for the ranking, Kid A is definitely their most innovative and influential release, but I personally can't rank it above In Rainbows, Ok Computer, or the Bends. Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief don't do as much for me. I think a lot of Hail to the Thief is just boring. Pablo Honey I know is just a generic 90s guitar album, but I think some of the songs are quite catchy and IMO Thom Yorke's best vocals are on that album. It gets shit on a lot because it's like the album before they became a progressive force to be reckoned with, but it's actually very endearing and enjoyable. I always skip Creep.

Banana
04-07-2014, 05:38 PM
How cool of you to always skip the commercially popular track creep, and make mention of that.

pale blue eyes
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
1. Kid A
2. OK Computer

3. Hail to the Thief
4. The Bends
5. In Rainbows

6. The King of Limbs
7. Amnesiac

8. Pablo Honey

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 09:30 PM
How cool of you to always skip the commercially popular track creep, and make mention of that.

yeah i'm definitely trying to be cool by defending their one album which is universally considered to suck

Banana
04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
That's exactly what you're trying to do especially by saying the one song you don't like is the most recognizable and successful from the album.

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 10:51 PM
put your head on a railway track, boy

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 10:54 PM
I skip it because it's a boring song, probably the weakest on the album, and one that I have heard ten million times on alternative rock radio already.

seriously are you capable of actual thought? how does it make sense to you that I am trying to be pretentious by liking what is widely held to be their weakest album BECAUSE it's a generic 90s radio rock album and then by skipping the big hit single. you're like a fucking baby.

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 10:55 PM
king of limbs is better cause of all the layers maaaaaan so much better than kid a it has all these layers just listen to these layers

Banana
04-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Listen, I understand. I hear you that that in order to keep whatever internet counter too cool for school image that you're going for that you needed to drop that point how you really enjoy the one album that is often thought of as their weakest but you skip the one popular song from it. I totally get it brobama.

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 11:35 PM
you're a fucking chimpanzee

Banana
04-07-2014, 11:44 PM
seriously are you capable of actual thought? how does it make sense to you that I am trying to be pretentious by liking what is widely held to be their weakest album BECAUSE it's a generic 90s radio rock album and then by skipping the big hit single. you're like a fucking baby.

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 11:52 PM
margin

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 11:52 PM
http://blogs.houstonzoo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/willie-5.jpg.

Banana
04-07-2014, 11:54 PM
<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left">seriously are you capable of actual thought? how does it make sense to you that I am trying to be pretentious by liking what is widely held to be their weakest album BECAUSE it's a generic 90s radio rock album and then by skipping the big hit single. you're like a fucking baby.</marquee>
<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right">seriously are you capable of actual thought? how does it make sense to you that I am trying to be pretentious by liking what is widely held to be their weakest album BECAUSE it's a generic 90s radio rock album and then by skipping the big hit single. you're like a fucking baby.</marquee>
<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left">seriously are you capable of actual thought? how does it make sense to you that I am trying to be pretentious by liking what is widely held to be their weakest album BECAUSE it's a generic 90s radio rock album and then by skipping the big hit single. you're like a fucking baby.</marquee>
<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right">seriously are you capable of actual thought? how does it make sense to you that I am trying to be pretentious by liking what is widely held to be their weakest album BECAUSE it's a generic 90s radio rock album and then by skipping the big hit single. you're like a fucking baby.</marquee>

redbreegull
04-07-2014, 11:55 PM
that's cute

Shallowed
04-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Banana's opinion is the only correct one.

redbreegull
04-08-2014, 12:16 AM
this is a great show from 94 watch it now

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-H2O0VXvTNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sound sucks but there's some awesome performances

redbreegull
04-08-2014, 12:18 AM
watching now, just skipped creep

redbreegull
04-08-2014, 12:21 AM
one time on 28if's birthday I was like dude what do you want to do on your birthday and he was like listen to every radiohead record but we only got through pablo honey and the bends

redbreegull
04-08-2014, 12:21 AM
it was pretty sad :(

Cool As Ice Cream
04-08-2014, 02:47 AM
i listen to one layer at a time
in the dark

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Yeah I idolize one of the most brilliant musical minds of our time, how terrible.

Oh wait, it's cool to hate Kanye and disregard his musical brilliance and consistent output of instantly classic albums.

you're an absolute fucking idiot man

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 06:08 AM
I THINK HE'S A BRILLIANT GENIUS, THEREFORE HE IS A BRILLIANT GENIUS. THERE IS NO WAY POSSIBLE THAT ANYONE ELSE COULD THINK OTHERWISE

Cool As Ice Cream
04-08-2014, 06:58 AM
you just don't get it. do you even understand what i mean with those layers? i bet you can't hear even them. but yeah, i'm the idiot here lol

vixnix
04-08-2014, 08:21 AM
polyphony is a pretty old musical device - I enjoy it. I haven't listened to KoL because Thom York is a short skinny ugly white man with a small penis who whines about how hard it is to be middle class and you know
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TULF4DCZZ3k/UW2C-uCThFI/AAAAAAAAAJc/vA5k0M0gZUs/s1600/3rtad5-300x196.jpg

except maybe Banana

Shallowed
04-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Fucking layers, man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7oN6Mt_DcAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool As Ice Cream
04-08-2014, 08:28 AM
lol

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 09:54 AM
I skip it because it's a boring song...one that I have heard ten million times on alternative rock radio already.

i call it the disarm effect

Banana
04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
you're an absolute fucking idiot man

So cool of you to hate rap and Kanye. So cool.

Shallowed
04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Not all of us like or dislike particular artists because we think that it's cool to like or dislike them.

It's pretty rich coming from someone who can only appreciate Kanye West's music to its fullest if you're blasting it from an open car window so everyone around you has to hear what you're listening to.

Banana
04-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Please point out where I said I can only appreciate it when I'm blasting it from an open car window.

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
So cool of you to hate rap and Kanye. So cool.

if you could point me to the place where i said that i hate rap, that would be a fun time

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 09:09 PM
and i mean there's nothing wrong with sucking dick, but you need to visit Kanye and just get it over with

Banana
04-08-2014, 09:26 PM
What kind of rap do you like if you don't like Kanye?

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Can you explain how Kanye West is a musical genius? I'm curious.

Banana
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
He has been remarkable influential in music. He falls under that Radiohead umbrella of having released at least 4 albums without a single one being bad. He's one of the best produces out there and he was able to go beyond that and become one of the best musical artists and performers out there. He has all this immense talent yet he doesn't just sit on what has worked and try to milk that. He's a genius in that he is able to harness that talent and consistently evolve and improve as an artist and change the music and pop culture scene and influence it as he does so. He isn't pigeon holed to one corner of the music world or the art world.

Not only does the man make one of the greatest hip hop albums ever but he also puts out a 35 minute for it that is brilliant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jg5wkZ-dJXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You look at his latest masterpiece and he apparently only put that together in a few months. Came to Rick Rubin with a largely incomplete project only weeks away from release and was able to get it down to the greatness that is Yeezus.

Not only is releasing this incredibly high quality music but he has been releasing it at such a high rate that it's remarkable and unseen in music these days. He has released an album every year since 2010 that has been great and one of the best albums for each of the years and he isn't slowing down (and that isn't even considering his 4 great and highly influential albums he released prior to 2010). He just delayed/cancelled Australia shows for his tour because he's finishing up his latest album which will drop sometime this year.

He's such a god damn musical genius that his work is practically flowing out of him uncontrollably. Not only is he putting out this prolific track record of music without a flaw but he is doing it without any hesitation or need for a a few years off or a few years to get the creative juices flowing and put something together. He is putting out something every fucking year and he is pushing the bar higher and higher when he does it.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 09:54 PM
No I mean how is he a musical genius. "I like all of his albums!" doesn't make him a genius.

I mean is your standard of genius based solely on output amount? I'd say that Jandek is more prolific than Kanye.

Sonic Johnny
04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Banana's colossal stupidity is less entertaining now that he pretty much demonstrates it on command.

Banana
04-08-2014, 10:02 PM
No I mean how is he a musical genius. "I like all of his albums!" doesn't make him a genius.

I mean is your standard of genius based solely on output amount? I'd say that Jandek is more prolific than Kanye.

I explained to you why. Not my problem you can't read.

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 10:18 PM
What kind of rap do you like if you don't like Kanye?

hahahahahahahahahha

Kanye is RAP, and RAP is Kanye

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
UGK, 8-Ball, MJG, Wu-Tang of course (and all related solo), Non Phixion are just some of the rap artists i enjoy

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM
i know it doesn't even need to be speculated upon, but i wonder what ODB would make of Kanye West?

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 10:33 PM
I explained to you why. Not my problem you can't read.

Well no, you didnt. Let me show you. You said he was:
1) influential.
How is he remotely influential? I know plenty of people who don't give a fuck about him. Also, how does being influential automatically make you a genius?
2) that you just simply liked his last four albums
How does that make him a genius, or are you just too easy to please?
3) best performers
What does he do onstage? What instruments does he play?
4) he has all this immense talent
Like what?
5) consistently evolve and improve as an artist
There are many artists that do this. Are they all geniuses as well?
6) a 35 minute video
I guess you've never seen Magical Mystery tour
7) Yeezus was so amazing!
I'll have to take your word for it, I haven't heard it.
8) work is just flowing out of him
OK so do you think Jandek is a genius as well?

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:33 PM

i'd educate you but 1) you wouldn't listen and 2) it'd assist banana

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:35 PM
"what instruments does he play"

get the fuck out of here dadrock

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:35 PM
i know it doesn't even need to be speculated upon, but i wonder what ODB would make of Kanye West?

probably would do anything to be on one of his albums

raekwon's already on a few.

ps UGK is dope "it's champagne it's 'posed to bubble"

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 10:39 PM
I would listen.

Banana
04-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Well no, you didnt. Let me show you. You said he was:
1) influential.
How is he remotely influential? I know plenty of people who don't give a fuck about him. Also, how does being influential automatically make you a genius?
2) that you just simply liked his last four albums
How does that make him a genius, or are you just too easy to please?
3) best performers
What does he do onstage? What instruments does he play?
4) he has all this immense talent
Like what?
5) consistently evolve and improve as an artist
There are many artists that do this. Are they all geniuses as well?
6) a 35 minute video
I guess you've never seen Magical Mystery tour
7) Yeezus was so amazing!
I'll have to take your word for it, I haven't heard it.
8) work is just flowing out of him
OK so do you think Jandek is a genius as well?

Jesus Christ what a completely ignorant post.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 10:40 PM
"what instruments does he play"

get the fuck out of here dadrock

So you are saying that he is SUCH A MUSICAL GENIUS he doesn't even play an instrument?

AMAZING!

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:43 PM
yeah you'll never get it

I'm Hardcore
04-08-2014, 10:45 PM
probably would do anything to be on one of his albums

nah

soniclovenoize
yeah you'll never get it

Oh yeah I'm sure you and your bff Bananas had a wonderful argument to begin with.

Trotskilicious
aren't you the old fogie that still hates rap in general because these guys don't play guitars

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 10:47 PM
That's only half true.

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:48 PM
i don't think i need to make an argument for one of the most critically successful artists of all time

and don't compare me to banana

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 10:48 PM
soniclovenoize is really not doing anyone any favors in here, huh

i don't really care about kanye west. i think he's a little too self indulgent and self important but i love runaway for whatever reason and i've always liked stuff like jesus walks and get 'em high. but. i thought this was about radiohead so

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A

3. Hail to the Thief / The Bends / Amnesiac

6. In Rainbows

7. King of Limbs

I mean KOL was really unimpressive and uninteresting outside of Little by Little, if you ask me. In certain moods I'd probably put The Bends up with Kid A. And In Rainbows has really high highs but I don't think it matches the others. Probably in the minority with that, as well as my enjoyment of Hail to the Thief. w/e. I just know I'd rather listen to Wolf at the Door than Nude or whatever.

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I should also add that I much prefer returning to 1988-2000 pumpkins than radiohead at this point in my life.

although karma police came up on shuffle today and i fucking rocked the fuck out in my car. it doesn't have to be a competition.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 10:51 PM
i don't think i need to make an argument for one of the most critically successful artists of all time
And by Most Critically Acclaimed Artist Of All T9ime you are talking about someone who has really only been relevant within the last 10 years right?

and don't compare me to banana

If the shoe fits...

soniclovenoize is really not doing anyone any favors in here, huh.

????

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:51 PM
part of liking kanye is understanding that he's a big crazy idiot with ego and insecurity issues galore

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:52 PM
????

<h1>YOU SOUND LIKE A STUPID DICK THAT HAS ONLY ONE CONCEPTION OF WHAT MUSIC IS</H1>

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:53 PM
and dude i fucking own banana at music shit, it's not about greatest or whatever, i like how "only in the last ten years" yeah since college dropout came out he's consistently been one of the critical darlings. why don't you read some of their shit since you're just here to refute everything that everyone says. Then you can leave all your bullshit about elephant 6 in the comments section and everyone on earth will ignore you.

seriously soniclovenoise, you know about as much about music as banana does

Sonic Johnny
So you are saying that he is SUCH A MUSICAL GENIUS he doesn't even play an instrument?

AMAZING!

Oh Go watch High Fidelity and relate to it again

Eulogy
oh he's only been relevant for ten years it must be a fluke

jesus christ soniclovenoize

don't make me side with banana in an argument, please

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:54 PM
I should also add that I much prefer returning to 1988-2000 pumpkins than radiohead at this point in my life.

gish to MCIS but yes

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 10:54 PM
like who has sustained relevance for more than ten years? especially recently. christ.

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
gish to MCIS but yes

machina was my introduction and my knee jerk answer to favorite album is still Adore. so i tack on 1996-2000. and there's no shame in it for me. love it all.

Trotskilicious
like who has sustained relevance for more than ten years? especially recently. christ.

well there was that one time neutral milk hotel put out an album

soniclovenoize
:0 Yikes!

Banana
04-08-2014, 10:56 PM
gish to MCIS but yes

MCIS isn't the cutoff, Adore is.

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 10:57 PM
shut the fuck up

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
i want someone to validate my opinion of KOL. Little By Little was all that's worth remembering from that album.

My ranking is the perfect ranking.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 10:59 PM
i want someone to validate my opinion of KOL. Little By Little was all that's worth remembering from that album.

My ranking is the perfect ranking.

Your ranking of horrible.

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 10:59 PM
like Feral sounds like a super bored Trent Reznor trying to connect with kids

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 11:00 PM
I do like the rest of the songs on that album. Just not that much.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 11:01 PM
I admit I skip it.

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 11:02 PM
too cool for it huh

Banana
04-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Only 10 years since he has been putting out his own music (discounting his work as a producer for other artists before that) but look at that crazy fucking catalog in only 10 years.

College Dropout - Great
Late Registration - Great
Graduation - Great
808 & Heartbreak - Great and absurdly influential
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - One of the greatest hip hop ablums...wait...one of the greatest albums ever.
Watch The Throne - Great
Cruel Summer - Great
Yeezus - Great

6 great solo albums, 1 great collab album with one of the mount rushmore rappers yet he absolutely carried it, and 1 compilation album which he again carries. 8 total great albums in 10 years. And chances are very likely that it's going to end up being 9 great albums in 10 years before the year is done.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
too cool for it huh

No guitars? No thanks.

Trotskilicious
04-08-2014, 11:04 PM
banana do you know any synonyms for great

Banana
04-08-2014, 11:05 PM
No guitars? No thanks.

There are plenty of guitars on tKoL. Just hidden away in the layers.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
There are plenty of guitars on tKoL. Just hidden away in the layers.

Not quote. What I've read is that they did record their usual instrumentation on the album, but then completely deconstructed the individual elements and just sampled themselves, and reconstructed the songs using these samples of their orignal parts. That's why it took so long to make the album.

I wouldn't be surprised of Feral was actually just guitar.

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Feral I think might be the worst song on a post-Pablo Honey Radiohead album

There's no there there, if you will

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 11:11 PM
It's just you and me now, Eulogy. Just us. What do you think about that?

Eulogy
04-08-2014, 11:14 PM
really all i got is that Feral sucks and I think HTTT is better than people give it credit for

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 11:17 PM
I would agree to both of that. I recently got the pbthal needledrop of HTTT and it sounds great, kinda rediscovered the album.

soniclovenoize
04-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Oh wow I remember this.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=25273

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 12:42 AM

U2 are critically successful

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Swaggy P is my favourite rapper

Trotskilicious
04-09-2014, 01:32 AM
u2's later albums are not critically successful.

also, what is your point that you're still being a dick about the joshua tree? i mean that's your call.

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 01:40 AM
U2 are literally the most boring, pompous, overrated band i have ever had the displeasure of hearing

and my point is that critical opinion doesn't mean SHIT when it comes to 'musical genius' or whatever you like to call it

vixnix
04-09-2014, 03:17 AM
U2 are kind of hard to enjoy but when you become a Christian you'll be all like OMG U2

Shallowed
04-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Not if, but when.

Shallowed
04-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Please point out where I said I can only appreciate it when I'm blasting it from an open car window.

Oh you know, it was that time when the weather was doing something so you could open your car windows and FINALLY be able to blast loud music and swear at elderly pedestrians.

Shallowed
04-09-2014, 07:10 AM
SLN, do you like listening to electronic music? Any at all?

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 07:15 AM
U2 are kind of hard to enjoy but when you become a Christian you'll be all like OMG U2

trying to find a suitable gay porn image to respond to this with, but failing

Eulogy
04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
I really like New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday

Fwiw

Eulogy
04-09-2014, 08:43 AM
U2 are literally the most boring, pompous, overrated band i have ever had the displeasure of hearing

and my point is that critical opinion doesn't mean SHIT when it comes to 'musical genius' or whatever you like to call it

But what does then? I'm Hardcore's opinion?

Sonic Johnny
04-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I think what he's trying to grasp at in his own way is that maybe everyone enjoys different music and that trying to objectively determine the merit of a piece of music based on some perceived median of an individual estimation of popular opinion is futile at best and moronic at worst.

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 09:19 AM
But what does then? I'm Hardcore's opinion?

do i really need to answer this

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
I think what he's trying to grasp at in his own way is that maybe everyone enjoys different music and that trying to objectively determine the merit of a piece of music based on some perceived median of an individual estimation of popular opinion is futile at best and moronic at worst.

yeah something along those lines i guess man

i mean of course enjoy music and attribute whatever value you like to it ("musical genius" etc)

Eulogy
04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Obviously there's a massive subjective element but I don't think it's right to dismiss the idea that there is some objective element as well.

Art criticism of any kind is tough. Still a worthwhile pursuit though I think.

Eulogy
04-09-2014, 09:33 AM
do i really need to answer this

I'd like an answer to the first one!

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 09:43 AM
SLN, do you like listening to electronic music? Any at all?

I guess it depends on the artist. Would you consider The United States of America an electronic artist? I love that album and the Field Hippies record as well.

Trotskilicious
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM

and my point is that critical opinion doesn't mean SHIT

i'll take it more seriously than i will some 20 something's fashionable griping about U2

Trotskilicious
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Obviously there's a massive subjective element but I don't think it's right to dismiss the idea that there is some objective element as well

i agree. we do not understand the analytic mathematics of music yet but i guarantee you there is a mathematical proof that limp bizkit and nickelback objectively suck

it's why i get defensive about kanye and u2 to a much lesser extent because i do not think that there's an objective suckiness at play with either artist and if you REALLY give a shit about the fact that we all like different stuff why do you have to go all aggro about kanye west and make me argue on banana's side. because i'll come to ye's defense every goddamn time and I KNOW you motherfuckers tend to respect my taste

and also i like U2's 80s stuff, remove it from the context of the band at their self-celebratory dinosaur present and put it in the context of a hungry, idealistic band from an economically downtrodden country in the me first 80s

to be honest it's like judging 90s SP because of 10s bill

also limp bizkit is the worst fucking band in the world, U2 doesn't come close.

Trotskilicious
04-09-2014, 10:51 AM
to be perfectly honest i think i have greater appreciation for the heyday of bands that lost their way because i studied history, and there's a thing about putting stuff into historical context.

lastly, i'm pretty convinced that the only way that you continue to do anything good or relevant throughout your career is not to be in a band but be the solo director of your own vision: leonard cohen, bob dylan, nick cave, michael gira

and yes, possibly kanye fucking west

i bagged on that guy since college dropout. then dark fantasy came out and i was converted.

Cool As Ice Cream
04-09-2014, 10:51 AM
TROTZDEM!

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
and I KNOW you motherfuckers tend to respect my taste

Things change.

Trotskilicious
04-09-2014, 11:24 AM
i've never had any respect for your 00s indie rock rut

it's comical how blind you are to it

Banana
04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Oh you know, it was that time when the weather was doing something so you could open your car windows and FINALLY be able to blast loud music and swear at elderly pedestrians.

Right, except for the fact that I have never said I can only appreciate listening to the music with my windows down. Long ass winter was over and the first nice weather in forever so it was awesome to finally drive with my windows down and volume up.

Very weird line for you to attempt to draw there. Reach City and you're the Mayor.

Shallowed
04-09-2014, 04:20 PM
You didn't have to say anything.

slunken
04-09-2014, 04:25 PM
i like music too

Banana
04-09-2014, 07:34 PM
I feel like this song was made just for people like sonicwhateverthefuck

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ViGNBLQpGWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 08:16 PM
I really enjoyed that. Thanks bananas I will probably go download the album now.

Banana
04-09-2014, 08:32 PM
The intention went over your head. The song is basically a fuck you those who attempt to hate on him and diminish what he has done.

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 08:33 PM
When did I hate on him? I already told you I had never really heard him, and I was genuinely asking why you think he was a "musical genius".

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 08:42 PM
I mean I find it fascinating how people of you and Trots' ilk think only in black and white--that if I so much as question one facet of this genre without even stating an opinion really, then all of a sudden I'm a rockist who hates all rap and electronic music. There is apparently no grey area.

slunken
04-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Judging people based on music is so 90s

Banana
04-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I mean I find it fascinating how people of you and Trots' ilk think only in black and white--that if I so much as question one facet of this genre without even stating an opinion really, then all of a sudden I'm a rockist who hates all rap and electronic music. There is apparently no grey area.

How delusional are you? You're the one that is thinking only in black and white. Also your opinion holds no weight whatsoever when you admittedly haven't listened to Kanye.

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 09:20 PM
haha OK whatever you say.

Tchocky
04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. The Bends
4. In Rainbows
5. Hail to the Thief
6. The King of Limbs
7. Amnesiac
8. Pablo Honey

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
i'll take it more seriously than i will some 20 something's fashionable griping about U2

oh okay so what i'm saying holds no justification because it's "fashionable" to hate on U2.

right.

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 10:04 PM
haha OK whatever you say.

no he's kind of right. if you haven't listened to him, you can't really justify saying that he sucks or w/e

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 10:06 PM

i can't get my head around how stupid this is, seriously. what does my age have to do with anything?

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 10:13 PM
no he's kind of right. if you haven't listened to him, you can't really justify saying that he sucks or w/e

I never said Kanye sucks though. Blanana is being overly defensive and assigning an opinion I don't have just because I questioned his rationale and standards for "genius"

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 10:17 PM
regardless, if you haven't bothered to listen to Kanye, your opinion doesn't really hold much credibility, does it?

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Which opinion are you referring to?

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
I'd like an answer to the first one!

well sure it's my opinion, but i'm not really going to attack somebody for disagreeing with me. is that the question you wanted an answer for?

I'm Hardcore
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Which opinion are you referring to?

well anything really, regarding Kanye's music. and what i said probably wasn't specifically aimed at you, but just as a general rule

soniclovenoize
04-09-2014, 10:22 PM
well anything really, regarding Kanye's music. and what i said probably wasn't specifically aimed at you, but just as a general rule

Oh I see. Yeah I agree, which is why I didn't offer my opinion on Kanye West.

Banana
04-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Yeah he hasn't offered any opinion on Kanye. His questions regarding him have been completely sincere and in no ways condescending.

Eulogy
04-09-2014, 11:11 PM
well sure it's my opinion, but i'm not really going to attack somebody for disagreeing with me. is that the question you wanted an answer for?

uh, no? it was the question about what makes someone a musical genius. which was fairly obvious from the posts?

D.
04-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Fucking layers, man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7oN6Mt_DcAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I would listen to this more than any actual Radiohead song.

Trotskilicious
04-10-2014, 01:26 AM

no sonic, it's because over the history of your posts you've revealed that you are profoundly limited in scope

Trotskilicious
04-10-2014, 01:27 AM
i can't get my head around how stupid this is, seriously. what does my age have to do with anything?

what doesn't it have to do with. mostly that you were born too late in the 80s to know anything but U2 being a suckfest. and it's incredibly fashionable to hate U2

early twenties people hate radiohead a lot, because of the same reasons you hate U2

I'm Hardcore
04-10-2014, 06:10 AM
uh, no? it was the question about what makes someone a musical genius. which was fairly obvious from the posts?

oh well i don't really care about that, you'll have to ask banana

I'm Hardcore
04-10-2014, 06:11 AM
what doesn't it have to do with. mostly that you were born too late in the 80s to know anything but U2 being a suckfest. and it's incredibly fashionable to hate U2

early twenties people hate radiohead a lot, because of the same reasons you hate U2

i'm not just some casual music listener, you know that. show me a little bit more respect, than attributing my opinion to being fashionable or whatever

Shallowed
04-10-2014, 06:15 AM
You sound like a casual fan

I'm Hardcore
04-10-2014, 06:20 AM
fuck

Sonic Johnny
04-10-2014, 08:33 AM
This thread has become like a singularity of Netpho music board retardation.

soniclovenoize
04-10-2014, 09:25 AM
no sonic, it's because over the history of your posts you've revealed that you are profoundly limited in scope

Oh that's right, I forgot! You are convinced that I only listen to two singular artists, and that's it. Carry on.

Trotskilicious
04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
than attributing my opinion to being fashionable or whatever

"easy" then

Trotskilicious
04-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Oh that's right, I forgot! You are convinced that I only listen to two singular artists, and that's it. Carry on.

you still have yet to disprove any of it, "do they play instruments" is just about the dumbest, most 90s criteria for liking anything and directly connects to Elephant 6 where everyone could play any instrument badly for the sake of doing it and being pretentious about it

your dislike of rap in general, not just kanye west which you've already admitted you've never listened to, is well documented already

i'd rather have someone producing a track than a bunch of hipster dicks using 34 instruments they don't know how to play. that's not talent.

soniclovenoize
04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Haha OK I'll let you have the last word if you want.

Trotskilicious
04-10-2014, 04:58 PM
well lets see if that happens, dadrock

I'm Hardcore
04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
"easy" then

elaborate on this please

Trotskilicious
04-10-2014, 11:57 PM
in a world where coldplay is king i dunno why anyone would waste their time hating a band that was p. good in the 80s. besides, i say "easy" and "fashionable" because it is, hipster kids like us hate U2. I'm constantly finding myself going LOOK MAN THE JOSHUA TREE IS PRETTY GOOD I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT WHAT A DOUCHE BONO IS, CHRIST.

BULLET
THE
BLUE
SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Eulogy
04-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Dude stop ignoring War

redbreegull
04-11-2014, 12:32 AM
who's gonna ride your wild horses
who's gonna drown in your blue sea
who's gonna taste your salt water kisses
who's gonna fall at the foot of thee

Trotskilicious
04-11-2014, 12:49 AM
does u2 suck about as hard as anyone can possibly suck for almost 25 years now? yes. yes they do.

coldplay is their legacy, but it is also radiohead's.

vixnix
04-11-2014, 09:20 AM
radiohead suck way worse than U2 and history will bear that one out, no worries...

Cool As Ice Cream
04-11-2014, 09:50 AM
^ lol check out this guy

Banana
04-11-2014, 11:54 AM
radiohead suck way worse than U2 and history will bear that one out, no worries...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/BananaClock/SCB/retarded_zpsb61ad376.gif~original

vixnix
04-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Lol check out these sad white guys who love to listen to other sad white guys who make music about how sad it is to be a white guy

OMG my life is so hard

http://www.angelanoelle.com/.a/6a00d83453dc2969e2017ee97da352970d

Except a bunch of sad ass white people. But you go for it folks... You go on indulging in the idea that how much self obsessed navel gazing a band encourages you to do, is somehow an accurate measure of how good they are. Nice work there guys. Keep it up!

Shallowed
04-11-2014, 06:20 PM
You like Smashing Pumpkins.

Shallowed
04-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Vix did you read anything that was said in this thread about Kanye West?

vixnix
04-11-2014, 07:26 PM
You like Smashing Pumpkins.

I never listen to sp anymore. But I adored them as a self obsessed melodramatic teenager, and I noticed that the other so fans I met were similarly broken and fucked up like me, so after they toured NZ in 2008 I checked out the sp forums figuring I would find a bunch of fucked up broken people struggling with adulthood

AND LO AND BEHOLD

vixnix
04-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Vix did you read anything that was said in this thread about Kanye West?

I did skim it, I'm kinda ambivalent when it comes to Kanye, he's alright, I prefer the roots' early stuff to him. Actually, I prefer beastie Boys and cypress hill's early stuff to Kanye. Prolly cos I was a 90s teen.

Cool As Ice Cream
04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
<delle>

vixnix
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Go on and take the Berliners out of your imperialist cake hole and say something if you want to, Kuifje, see if I care!

Trotskilicious
04-12-2014, 12:11 AM
I checked out the sp forums figuring I would find a bunch of fucked up broken people struggling with adulthood

and you fit right in

vixnix
04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
that was kinda the point, Einstein

Trotskilicious
04-12-2014, 09:03 AM
was it?

vixnix
04-12-2014, 09:32 AM
misery loves company

and being entertained. i get two for the price of one here. very good value.

I'm Hardcore
04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
in a world where coldplay is king i dunno why anyone would waste their time hating a band that was p. good in the 80s. besides, i say "easy" and "fashionable" because it is, hipster kids like us hate U2. I'm constantly finding myself going LOOK MAN THE JOSHUA TREE IS PRETTY GOOD I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT WHAT A DOUCHE BONO IS, CHRIST.

the only "easy" thing here would be to agree with you that U2 were good in the 80's. But i don't agree with that.

The Joshua Tree? the first 3 songs on that record encapsulate exactly what i dislike about this band. WITH OR WITHOUUUUUUT UUUUUUU

WITH OR WITHOUT UUUUUUUUU OHHH OHHHHHHHHHH (I Can't Live)

and you giiiiiiiiiiiive yourself a wank

I'm Hardcore
04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
nice interjection from vixnix here

Elphenor
04-15-2014, 06:23 AM
So, yeah, that Kanye song had a line that went "Finish my croissant!".
I don't get it. Like, is that supposed to be funny? Or is it just a line that doesn't matter or what?
It sounds really unnatural too, it sticks out.

That's how I feel about all Hip-Hop really. Clearly I'm missing something.
And Im a young dude, so it's not an age thing. My parents listen to Kanye and shit. I don't feel like the whole "Dad Rock" thing applies anymore since Rap is so popular now and I know few Dads who actually actively listen to Rock.
I still think it's more rebellious to wear a "Dead Kennedy's" shirt in this day and age then it is to wear a Yeezus shirt. I see 13 year old girls wearing Yeezus shirts that their Dad's bought them.

U2 is awful.

Radiohead is one of the greatest bands ever. I think the way they blended social alienation with politics on OK Computer is just incredible. Yorke's overlying theme has always been about how our artificial society is what causes us to be sick. It's a basic liberal theme, but no where is it put better and more powerfully than in Radiohead's early albums.

Catherine Wheel
04-15-2014, 06:28 AM
U2 is awful after The Unforgettable Fire. From Boy to Unforgettable Fire they were awesome. The best among their peers. No one could hold a candle to them.

Cool As Ice Cream
04-15-2014, 06:51 AM
but candles hadn't even been invented yet, conveniently.

vixnix
04-15-2014, 09:17 AM
in the 80s people spent more time working on their music because there was no internet

Sonic Johnny
04-15-2014, 10:24 AM
oh my god no shut up

Trotskilicious
04-16-2014, 01:18 AM
So, yeah, that Kanye song had a line that went "Finish my croissant!".
I don't get it. Like, is that supposed to be funny? Or is it just a line that doesn't matter or what?
It sounds really unnatural too, it sticks out.

it's hurry up with my damn croissant and it's part of a whole verse that refers to him getting five star cuisine and being the only black man in the room

i guess it would "stick out" if you never listened to anything by him, ever

also it's hilarious

Trotskilicious
04-16-2014, 01:20 AM
ps dad rock refers to really safe indie rock

vixnix
04-16-2014, 03:54 AM
As opposed to dangerous indie rock, also known as "trotsrock"

I'm Hardcore
04-17-2014, 01:17 AM
in the 80s people spent more time working on their music because there was no internet

this statement actually holds some truth .

Catherine Wheel
04-17-2014, 05:06 AM
I thought she was being sarcastic.

Shallowed
04-17-2014, 05:33 AM
What was there in the 80s that made musicians less hard working than they were in previous decades?

vixnix
04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
MTV

Shallowed
04-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I was talking about the 1880s. Musicians haven't been as focussed on their music since the phonograph was invented.

Trotskilicious
04-17-2014, 08:36 PM
As opposed to dangerous indie rock, also known as "trotsrock"

stop trolling me

houseofglass11
04-20-2014, 04:38 AM
King of Limbs was a really shit album.

Elphenor
10-19-2014, 01:09 AM
No it wasn't.

I want to talk about Radiohead again.

"Hail to the Thief" is their best album

The exploding boy
10-19-2014, 07:53 AM
I haven't really cared about anything they put out since Kid A and Amnesiac and while there's some pretty good songs on either of these, i probably like the three records before them more. I remember though when i bought Ok Computer it was because in like 1999 when i joined this forum people wouldn't shut up about it (I pretty much missed most of popular culture as a whole from 1996 to 2000, i caught up since) and i bought it and was extremely disappointed. Only a few years later would i start to appreciate it though as much as i REALLY like a lot of radiohead songs, i only like about half the songs on Ok computer, 3/4 on The bends and 1/3 (or maybe even 1/4) on Pablo Honey. It's like they know how to write songs i REALLY like and songs i don't really give a shit about. They always frustrated me that way.

Sonic Johnny
10-19-2014, 08:23 AM
WHY

WHY WOULD YOU BUMP THIS SPECIFIC FUCKING THREAD JESUS FUCK

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Hail to the Thief is their best album man. One day everyone will understand that

I'm Hardcore
11-02-2014, 04:17 PM
let this shit die ffs

christian zombie vampires
11-02-2014, 06:38 PM
ok computer
kid a
the bends
in rainbows
amnesiac
king of limbs live from the basement
bodysong/there will be blood soundtrack
hail to the theif
the eraser
tomorrows modern boxes
popcorn superhet reciever
48 responses to polymorphia
pablo honey
weatherhouse
amok
king of limbs
familial

there the thread is done now.

Mals Marola
11-02-2014, 09:31 PM
i hope you bez trollin

cos we suck young blood is hella cringe worthy. like oceana cringeworthy.

well.., maybe not that bad.

1/14th of the album

there there & 2+2 rule enough azz for 1/2 a record anyway

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 11:02 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DnWq6uH0ERg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 11:03 PM
with white elephants and sitting ducks
I will rise up

Little babies eyes, eyes. eyes

Sonic Johnny
11-02-2014, 11:25 PM
oh my god please please please let this thread just die nobody is ever going to agree on what radiohead is good and what radiohead sucks just fucking let it be PLEASE

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 11:56 PM
2+2=5 is Radiohead's greatest album opener. It rocks to insane degree and has one of the grooviest breakdowns I've heard from any band ever. (10/10)

Sit Down, Stand Up is a Rock song with a fucking DROP.
(ALL THE RAINDROPS ALL THE RAINDROPS ALL THE RAINDROPS)
I lose my shit every time (8/10)

Sail to the Moon is just beautiful (8/10)

Backdrifts has those cool swirling electronics and Yorke's voice blends with them perfectly in a fusion I've never heard replicated by another group (9/10)

Go to Sleep is a folky song to take a break from the electronics and damn if it isn't a good one. Again, Yorke's vocals have never sounded better (9/10)

Where I end and you Begin is a bit forgettable but still is pretty great I love this version:
I WILL EAT YOU ALIVE I WILL EAT YOU ALIVE (7/10)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-3ZUQMBD5yI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We Suck Young Blood is indeed pretty weak but it's got a cool dark atmosphere and I don't dislike it, it fits well into the flow of the album (6/10)

The Gloaming
I can seriously feel the walls bend with my breathing. (9/10)

There, There is the most brutally sad and all around best Radiohead song. I can hardly make it through without crying. and then it picks up into a rocker at the end and gives you a break
(Just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's real) 11/10

I Will is as gripping and emotionally powerful as an anti-war song gets and Yorke's chorus of vocals are just unbelievable
(With white elephants and sitting ducks
I will Rise up
Little babies eyes, eyes, eyes) 10/10

A Punchup at a wedding is a weird song with weird lyrics but fuck it grooovess (8/10)

Myxomatosis is similar to Punchup in that I'm not really sure what to think of it other than it's weird and it makes me want to dance. It also has some cool lyrics in it as well. (8/10)

Scatterbrain
It's hard to describe the personal emotional impact this song has on me it's just overwhelming. But it's a perfect song for the theme of the album that captures the nightmarish delirium of the cover (10/10)

A Wolf at the Door is like Gothic Folk Rock (10/10)

Average Score: 8.8/10

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I could write a whole other essay about the themes of the album and the lyrics and the cohesion of the tracks....

Such a fantastic underrated album

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Fuck you man

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Hail to the Thief
OK Computer
Kid A
In Rainbows
The Bends
King of Limbs and Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

The Bends would be higher if you switched in some of the Bsides of that era

Sonic Johnny
11-03-2014, 01:21 AM
It's hard to describe the personal emotional impact this song has on me it's just overwhelming. But it's a perfect song for the theme of the album that captures the nightmarish delirium of the cover (10/10)

It just occurred to me dude that you should go post over here:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com

These people would be just your cup of tea

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 01:40 AM
They don't separate the music forum from the general forum this is a clusterfuck

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 01:41 AM
lol this thread. "What is the world coming to?"

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633101