View Full Version : D'oh: Are 'The Simpsons' leaving soon?

Andrew_Pakula
04-30-2002, 11:02 PM
D'oh: Are 'The Simpsons' leaving soon?
<A HREF="http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/30/simpsons.reut/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/30/simpsons.reut/index.html</a>

Eulogy
04-30-2002, 11:04 PM
Wouldn't disappoint me too much...I only watch re-runs anyway.

Stupid&Contagious
04-30-2002, 11:19 PM
What Matt's really saying:
"The simpson's won't last forever, but PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME THE EMMY (again) and support futurama. "

Mayfuck
04-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Unlike many other people, I still find the new material to be funny. But I wouldn't be disappointed if they pulled the plug on the show. They've already had a great run as it is.

undivinemartyr
04-30-2002, 11:21 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Stupid&Contagious:
</font>
Futurama kinda really sucks.

Mayfuck
04-30-2002, 11:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by undivinemartyr:

Futurama kinda really sucks.</font>

Nope.

THRILLHO
04-30-2002, 11:24 PM
from the snpp.com faq:

Is the show being cancelled soon?

Any current rumors indicating The Simpsons have been cancelled are just that: rumors.

The Simpsons' thirteenth season is in production and ready to go, with a fourteenth and possibly a fifteenth being negotiated. The voice cast is set to remain on through Season Fifteen with substantial bonuses being awarded to them for sticking around that long. Even after this many years the show still receives strong ratings for FOX and they will keep it going as long as it makes money for the network.

and it's getting more and more well-known that a movie is in the works and will come out as a series finale.

professional wannabe
04-30-2002, 11:37 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Unlike many other people, I still find the new material to be funny. But I wouldn't be disappointed if they pulled the plug on the show. They've already had a great run as it is.</font>

i still like the simpsons(and the newer episodes), but i hate how Homer has been turned into even more of an asshole in the newer episodes. personally, i will always consider seasons 4-7 and 9 to be the best seasons of simpsons ever(go to snpp.com if you're unaware of what episodes were in these seasons). myself, i'm already somewhat concerned about the quality of newer episodes, b/c i don't like how homer is more of an asshole in the newer episodes. and yes, what i'll say might piss a few people off, but i think they should cancel it sooner rather than later, before it gets worser than the quality of episodes this season.

stupid fox for trying to cancel futurama... <font color=black>

[This message has been edited by professional wannabe (edited 04-30-2002).]

Johnny Zoloft
04-30-2002, 11:45 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Eulogy:
Wouldn't disappoint me too much...I only watch re-runs anyway.</font>

word.

there are so many episodes i haven't even seen yet, and i've been watching re-runs and new ones for a while.

------------------
peeing in your pants actually is cool. who knew?

Loveless Addict
04-30-2002, 11:52 PM
That sucks, but the new simpsons arent THAT funny, there funny, but the re-runs are fucking hilarious.

PhantomFM
05-01-2002, 12:11 AM
"I think Fox will wring every last penny out of the show before they call it a day,"

in other words, 20 years. so 7 more to go http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

strange_one
05-01-2002, 01:01 AM
<font color=FF00FF> I remember reading somewhere that part of the storyline planned for the movie finale will deal with bart losing his virginity

undivinemartyr
05-01-2002, 01:10 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by runs without pants:
Please delete my nonworking avatar, Andrew!
Edit: Check your inbox.

<font size=20> :(</font>

[This message has been edited by runs without pants (edited 05-01-2002).]</font>

[This message has been edited by undivinemartyr (edited 05-01-2002).]

Jesus Is Me
05-01-2002, 01:17 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Stupid&Contagious:
What Matt's really saying:
"The simpson's won't last forever, but PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME THE EMMY (again) and support futurama. "</font>

actually i hear matt decided futurama didn't turn out like he expected and he's trying to finish it

...i wonder if this is the last season of the simpsons? When they do the movie, i think they ought to age the characters by 5 years or so rather than just doing an extended episode with better animation..think about all the possibilities!

The Maverick
05-01-2002, 06:40 AM
that reminds me WTF is up with season 2??

j o e

------------------
::stumbles in drunkenly::
Hey everybody, where did Mary go?
Where did Mary go?
And where's my only cigarette? Please think for me, I can't bear to...
I'll just lie here for a while, Wet myself, wet my bed-- I've readied it all for her, you know Clean sheets, incense, and lots of fluffy pillows-- Now soiled....
And where's my cigarette? Did you check the bathroom?... The bathtub?... She sleeps there sometimes.... Water cleanses, you know, washes dirt away, makes new.... Maybe she... maybe she... maybe she... maybe... Maybe she swam away....
::exits drunkenly::

Andrew_Pakula
05-01-2002, 02:39 PM
You know that when they probably do make the Simpsons movie it's going to make such a killing at the box-office no matter how good or bad the actual movie may be.

undivinemartyr
05-01-2002, 03:07 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by runs without pants:
THANK U, ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<3</font>

PS: Are they really going to make a Simpsons movie?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Do you think...? :o

ModernCheeze
05-01-2002, 03:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Jesus Is Me:
actually i hear matt decided futurama didn't turn out like he expected and he's trying to finish it</font>

Actually, I think he just said he had lost interest in it and had forfeited his creative input. I hope he doesn't completely abandon it, because these past few years Futurama >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Simpsons.

Actually, I think the reason the Simpsons started to suck is because the Simpson writers forgot they were doing a reality based show (ie: Kang and Kodos only exist in the HALLOWEEN EPISODES...argh..) and started writing the show like Futurama. A joke that works in Futurama will not work in the Simpsons, but the writers don't seem to care.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Jesus Is Me:
When they do the movie, i think they ought to age the characters by 5 years or so rather than just doing an extended episode with better animation..think about all the possibilities! </font>

You mean something radical like the episode with Lisa's Wedding!?!?!!11!!

I honestly don't know how they're going to pull off a movie. Anything they do will probably rehash something they've already done during the tenure of the series.

------------------
-JJ

"Everyone hates a sad professor. I hate where I wound up."
AIM: nu100

[This message has been edited by ModernCheeze (edited 05-01-2002).]

meow
05-01-2002, 03:39 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew_Pakula:
You know that when they probably do make the Simpsons movie it's going to make such a killing at the box-office no matter how good or bad the actual movie may be.</font>

Its one of those movies that people would go to just to see how bad it actually is

meow
05-01-2002, 03:41 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/simpsons/bart.jpg

ATOMBOMBboy
05-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Stupid&Contagious:
</font>
Futurama kinda really sucks.

I think futurama is actually pretty funny. Now the family guy is hillarious

FearFactory
05-02-2002, 05:42 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ModernCheeze:
Actually, I think the reason the Simpsons started to suck is because the Simpson writers forgot they were doing a reality based show (ie: Kang and Kodos only exist in the HALLOWEEN EPISODES...argh..) and started writing the show like Futurama. A joke that works in Futurama will not work in the Simpsons, but the writers don't seem to care.

</font>

<font color="orange">Reality-based? Hardly. They've been the same age for 13 years. Bart and Lisa have graduated at least 3 times that I can recall. They've celebrated many, many Christmases. The house numbers have changed. In one early episode, Snake lived at 742 Evergreen Terrace, not the Simpsons.

The list could go on and on, but the thing you need to remember is IT'S JUST A FUCKING CARTOON!

(and btw, Dan Castellaneta wrote the episode "Gump Roast", in which Kang and Kodos appeared in. Just a little tidbit that you may have over-looked)
</font>
<font color="red">

------------------
http://raversaregay.homestead.com/files/USA.gif
If you weren't so boring, you wouldn't be bored right now.

Crippler
05-02-2002, 09:47 AM
</font>

<font color="aquamarine">I agree. The Simpsons has gradually turned more and more "cartoonish" as the years have gone by. Instead of being a somewhat down-to-earth, albeit goofy sitcom set in a cartoon world, it's moving away from that quality aspect of the show in favor of a more cheeseball, cartoonish feel. I think this is why I haven't watched many of the new episodes: because The Simpsons are at there best when you can realistically identify with their world, not when Homer is being shot in the side and eating pie seconds later, or when Ned Flanders is chopping off a lady's hair to make her look like his dead wife (????).

It's true, it's true.

------------------
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/gladiator/gladiator_3.jpg (http://firekatze.diaryland.com)

professional wannabe
05-02-2002, 12:08 PM

PS: Are they really going to make a Simpsons movie?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Do you think...? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif</font>

i think its highly likely that they will make a simpsons movie. and according to snpp.com, the current contracts of the 6 main voice actors/actresses on the show call for them to do THREE movies(and yes, you heard that right).

ModernCheeze
05-02-2002, 02:03 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by FearFactory:
Reality-based? Hardly. They've been the same age for 13 years. Bart and Lisa have graduated at least 3 times that I can recall. They've celebrated many, many Christmases. The house numbers have changed. In one early episode, Snake lived at 742 Evergreen Terrace, not the Simpsons.

The list could go on and on, but the thing you need to remember is IT'S JUST A FUCKING CARTOON!

(and btw, Dan Castellaneta wrote the episode "Gump Roast", in which Kang and Kodos appeared in. Just a little tidbit that you may have over-looked)
</font>

My faculties of distinguishing between cartoon and reality are well-intact, thank you. I never said the Simpsons wasn't a cartoon, but was reality-BASED, or as Crippler phrased it, "down-to-earth." Up to about season 8 or 9 the Simpsons dealt with fairly common domestic and social problems, but in a cartoon format which allowed it to pull of extreme satire when necessary, or to further distort reality. But it always distorted reality, not fantasy. The Simpson writers have simply run out of domestic issues to write about, which happens, and I suppose no longer care to satirize society...perhaps because society itself has become such a joke. The only successful episodes of the past two or three seasons have been the ones that took a critical look at the world around us. The rest where just goofy.

....OH WAIT A MINUTE!!?? HOMER WROTE THAT CRAPPY ALIEN EPISODE!? IT DOESN"T SUKC THEN, IT ROXXXORS!!!!111!

------------------
-JJ

FearFactory
05-02-2002, 03:39 PM
My faculties of distinguishing between cartoon and reality are well-intact, thank you. I never said the Simpsons wasn't a cartoon, but was reality-BASED, or as Crippler phrased it, "down-to-earth." Up to about season 8 or 9 the Simpsons dealt with fairly common domestic and social problems, but in a cartoon format which allowed it to pull of extreme satire when necessary, or to further distort reality. But it always distorted reality, not fantasy. The Simpson writers have simply run out of domestic issues to write about, which happens, and I suppose no longer care to satirize society...perhaps because society itself has become such a joke. The only successful episodes of the past two or three seasons have been the ones that took a critical look at the world around us. The rest where just goofy.

....OH WAIT A MINUTE!!?? HOMER WROTE THAT CRAPPY ALIEN EPISODE!? IT DOESN"T SUKC THEN, IT ROXXXORS!!!!111!

</font>

<font color="orange">You can only cover so many "real-life" issues before things overlap and episodes start seeming real similar to previous ones.

While the past couple seasons have had some very "eh" episodes, there have also been some excellent ones, such as "A Hunka Hunka Burns in Love" and "The Old Man and the Key" (to name a couple of recent good episodes)

To put it best:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe them.
Comic Book Guy: ...Worst episode ever.
</font>
<font color="red">

------------------

Crippler
05-02-2002, 04:10 PM
<font color="orange">You can only cover so many "real-life" issues before things overlap and episodes start seeming real similar to previous ones.

While the past couple seasons have had some very "eh" episodes, there have also been some excellent ones, such as "A Hunka Hunka Burns in Love" and "The Old Man and the Key" (to name a couple of recent good episodes)

To put it best:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe them.
</font>
<font color="red">

</font>

<font color="aquamarine">You plead a good case, but that still doesn't mean the product is as consistently good as it used to be.

It's true, it's true.

FearFactory
05-02-2002, 04:54 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Crippler:
<font color="aquamarine">You plead a good case, but that still doesn't mean the product is as consistently good as it used to be.

It's true, it's true.</font>

<font color="orange">Oh, absolutely. I would definately agree that the show isn't as consistently good as it used to be, but it isn't washed up. There have been plenty of really good episodes the past few seasons (and yes, a few bad ones - moreso than the first few). To me, it's like wanting to put your dog to sleep because he's 13 years old and has a gas problem every so often.

Plus, it's still the best goddamn show on TV.
</font>
<font color="red">

------------------

ModernCheeze
05-02-2002, 05:42 PM
You can only cover so many "real-life" issues before things overlap and episodes start seeming real similar to previous ones.</font>

I agree 100%. Its just really sad when after more and more episodes I say to myself "Its time to cancel the show." Is it better to burn out or fade away?

</font>

...I guess I can't argue with the Comic-Book guy...although that is the same episode which revealed jockey's are elves, both satirizing and highlighting whats wrong with the Simpsons...oh, the irony.

------------------
-JJ

FearFactory
05-02-2002, 05:44 PM
...I guess I can't argue with the Comic-Book guy...although that is the same episode which revealed jockey's are elves, both satirizing and highlighting whats wrong with the Simpsons...oh, the irony.

</font>

<font color="orange">No it's not.

</font>
<font color="red">

------------------

ModernCheeze
05-02-2002, 05:44 PM
To me, it's like wanting to put your dog to sleep because he's 13 years old and has a gas problem every so often.</font>

I think at this point the dog is can no longer control his shitting and sometimes collapses under its own weight. But from time to time, he gets that look in his eyes that reminds you of the old Fido.

Plus, it's still the best goddamn show on TV.
</font>

And what does that say about the status of TV today?
...and it also begs the question, which is worse, when a bad show gets worse or when a great show starts to lose it?

ModernCheeze
05-02-2002, 05:46 PM
No it's not.

</font>

I must be confusing the episode you're talking about with the second time the Simpsons get a horse. I used to know episode titles, but we all lose our touch at some point.

nevermind
05-02-2002, 05:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by professional wannabe:
i still like the simpsons(and the newer episodes), but i hate how Homer has been turned into even more of an asshole in the newer episodes. personally, i will always consider seasons 4-7 and 9 to be the best seasons of simpsons ever(go to snpp.com if you're unaware of what episodes were in these seasons). myself, i'm already somewhat concerned about the quality of newer episodes, b/c i don't like how homer is more of an asshole in the newer episodes. and yes, what i'll say might piss a few people off, but i think they should cancel it sooner rather than later, before it gets worser than the quality of episodes this season.

stupid fox for trying to cancel futurama... <font color=black>

[This message has been edited by professional wannabe (edited 04-30-2002).]</font>

theyre not making him an asshole, wtf?

all they really do now is hurt homer, and they think its funny by doing so in every fucking episode. its getting very old.

FearFactory
05-02-2002, 05:56 PM
I think at this point the dog is can no longer control his shitting and sometimes collapses under its own weight. But from time to time, he gets that look in his eyes that reminds you of the old Fido.

And what does that say about the status of TV today?
...and it also begs the question, which is worse, when a bad show gets worse or when a great show starts to lose it?</font>

<font color="orange">The show isn't quite to that point, yet. Just because the scenarios are far out there doesn't mean that the episodes can't be good. You shouldn't just hold it to the standard of past episodes, you should judge each show based on itself. The point of the show is to make you laugh. Being such, the show has succeeded more often than failed (the past few years included).

There have always been plenty of crappy shows for every good show. Even when the show is at it's worst (see: Bart to the Future), it's still better than, let's say... "friends".

As for the quote earlier, it came from the episode "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show". The horse jockey episode, in which Comic Book Guy wears a shirt that says "Worst Episode Ever" on it is called "Saddlesore Galactica".
</font>
<font color="red">

------------------

ModernCheeze
05-02-2002, 06:09 PM
As for the quote earlier, it came from the episode "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show". The horse jockey episode, in which Comic Book Guy wears a shirt that says "Worst Episode Ever" on it is called "Saddlesore Galactica".

</font>

I bow to your superior geekery, sir.