View Full Version : how many times have you listened to judas o?

snickerdoodles
06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
i've listened to it less than 5 times.

------------------
.....Then they went new wave and broke up because they were afraid of Britney.

I'm so goth, I don't say "black," I say "blahhwwwkkk."

ATOMBOMBboy
06-03-2002, 04:14 PM
actually, Judas O has been in my CD player for the last week, I hadn't really listened to it since x-mas time, but I am really enjoying it.

zekix
06-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Never all the way through. The new songs are just so awful..

hereisnowhy
06-03-2002, 04:32 PM
I always push stop when it gets to Soot and Stars. My god, the horror.

It has a couple fantastic songs though. Waiting is great.

DoctaSoma
06-03-2002, 04:33 PM
~10 I love the songs on it, especially Adore Saturnine, but its so piecemeal, its a pain to listen to.

-Ben

rawkstar
06-03-2002, 05:17 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by hereisnowhy:
I always push stop when it gets to Soot and Stars. My god, the horror.
</font>

really?? soot and stars is my favorite track on Judas. I've listened to Judas well over 100 times...i really enjoy it.

frenchy
06-03-2002, 05:30 PM
twice
But since i got a promo, i didn't have to pay for it...

hereisnowhy
06-03-2002, 05:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by rawkstar:
really?? soot and stars is my favorite track on Judas.</font>

"i'll often speak of you
but the you was always me
'cause when i speak of me
it's me i ask of you"

Yes, really.

Red Wine Cage
06-03-2002, 05:52 PM
i don't think i've listened to it once all they way through, but it's probably been in my CD player less than 10 times.

jamesey
06-03-2002, 06:00 PM
saturnine and believe= many many times.

rest of it=twice

Fish
06-03-2002, 07:08 PM
I agree, as an album for listening to in one go, it absolutely sucks.. I sometimes listen to STRTJ, Believe and Blissed and Gone off it when i'm too lazy to get their cds.. Saturnine is good, but I would never listen to it one go.. some of the new tracks are just cringe-worthy.

StillBecomingApart
06-03-2002, 07:18 PM
3 times

It doesn't flow well. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

------------------
&lt;dndmepunk&gt; you can't use english correctly but you know how to say fuck you, i find that funny
&lt;dndmepunk&gt; if you don't know english, you at least know fuck you
&lt;dndmepunk&gt; i don't know italian....i don't know italian bad words either

http://www.IofTheMourning.com/images/excel.jpg (http://www.IofTheMourning.com) http://www.IofTheMourning.com/images/hayat.jpg (http://www.IofTheMourning.com/spyder) http://www.IofTheMourning.com/images/puchuu.jpg (http://www.rockers.it/forum/)

lily1only
06-03-2002, 07:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frenchy:
twice</font>

nevermind
06-03-2002, 07:25 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by StillBecomingApart:
3 times

It doesn't flow well. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

</font>

its a damn b-side collection. its not supposed to "flow well". sheesh!

so stick in MCIS and get over it. *nods*

Age Of Empathy
06-03-2002, 08:03 PM
i love it. i think Lucky 13 is a great way to start it off ... too bad Because You Are is in there. what a horrible song. then there are some cool bsides. i love sparrow and the transition from sparrow > waiting is awesome. saturnine is gold. set the ray to jerry is always nice to hear. too bad Soot + Stars is on there .... what a God-awful track.

jackboot7
06-03-2002, 09:27 PM
the songs really don't flow at all well together so it makes it pretty hard to listen to the whole thing.

THRILLHO
06-03-2002, 09:43 PM
weird. i don't even listen to the pumpkins much anymore but i've listened to it a lot. like, way more than 5 times. only skipping a few tracks (because you are, rock on... i think that's it). the "flow" isn't bad, or important.

[This message has been edited by THRILLHO (edited 06-03-2002).]

jamesey
06-03-2002, 10:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by nevermind:

so stick in MCIS and get over it. *nods*</font>

but Picses does

neopryn
06-03-2002, 11:32 PM
Because You Are, Rock On, and Soot and Stars rule all of your asses.

THRILLHO
06-04-2002, 12:39 AM
i should also add that about half of the album was new to me when it came out.

and i love soot + stars! even that exerpt that you posted, Paul. i actually interpret that, although i guess i could see why it'd be mistaken for one of those pseudo-poetic Billy gibberish lines.

[This message has been edited by THRILLHO (edited 06-03-2002).]

Smiley
06-04-2002, 12:47 AM
I actually listened to it more times before it came out (mp3->minidisc) than I did when I got the actual CD.

I'm working on a compilation of my own, and I listen to it more often than Judas O. It has TAFH, Drown, In My Body, and a crapload of Gravity demos. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Undone
06-04-2002, 01:07 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by jamesey:
but Picses does</font>

<font color="CC33CC">That's b/c their sound was more uniform when Pisces came out.

Siva 2007
06-04-2002, 01:57 AM
I actually listen to it quite often. I really like some of those songs. But, unlike Pisces, I don't listen to Judas in its entirety. I always program the tracks I want to listen to. That means I skip Rock On, Marquis in Spades and a couple more I can't think of right now. I think I heard Rock On three times since Judas was released... and I sure don't feel bad about skipping tracks, as this is a just a compilation.

Raskolnikov
06-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Gosh, what a great topic. I've had this thought before... that I really just don't listen to it very much.

I remember being totally stoked on it coming out... yet I just don't really listen to it. I don't know why... I just don't. Funky. Maybe I'll drudge it up tommorow.

BlueStar
06-04-2002, 03:17 AM
Yeah, it doesn't flow too well. I tend to put it on to listen to a particular song...then I decide I want to hear another song on it...and then another...so I just wind up skipping around from one song to another and eventually end up listening to the whole album.

------------------
~~Samantha~~
AIM: MercuryAdore

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

DoctaSoma
06-04-2002, 03:50 AM

</font>

Perhaps you're right that a Bsides collection doesn't neccessarily have to flow well.

[B]
so stick in MCIS and get over it. *nods*</font>

And it seems that the response of most people here is to go stick in "insert another pumpkins recording here" and get over it.

But it is a shame when the very people who love the pumpkins enough to have salivated over this release for months before it came out, don't listen to it now. It seems that a big part of that is its lack of flow. Given this, I think that lack of flow is a fair criticism.

Anything that stops people from listening to the album, especially us rabid fans who still post here, is worthy of criticism IMHO.

Anyway I do love most of the songs on it, and the Adore Saturnine alone makes it worth putting on - occassionally.

-Ben

Johnny Zoloft
06-04-2002, 03:22 PM
i had no real reason to buy it. all the tracks are easily downloadable...

hereisnowhy
06-04-2002, 03:54 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:
and i love soot + stars! even that exerpt that you posted, Paul. i actually interpret that, although i guess i could see why it'd be mistaken for one of those pseudo-poetic Billy gibberish lines.
</font>

I'm usually more into Billy's nonsense when the music is good. I really can't say anything good about Soot and Stars though. But that's just me.

Someone start a poll on what people think is the worst pumpkins song. I would find that more interesting than lists of favourite songs.

Woody
06-04-2002, 05:59 PM
ok

a) Judas 0 could have been arranged to flow better

b)Marquis in spades shouldnt have been on there

c)Aeroplane Flies High is not as good a song as everyone says it is. I wouldnt have included it.

d)Saturnine, Winterlong and Soot and Stars are all great songs. And all who disagree can just piss off.

e)Let Me give the World to You should have been on there

f)My Mistake shouldve been replaced by Once in a While or Czarina

g) SOOT AND STARS IS FUCKING GOOD!

------------------
no bodies ever knew, no bodies felt like you.

june33
06-04-2002, 10:30 PM
I guess i haven't listened to it enough because this thread made me want to pull it out.

june33
06-04-2002, 10:31 PM
i wanted to pull out the cd people, the cd.

Graveflower
06-04-2002, 10:32 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Woody:

</font>

That's the best song on there behind Waiting. No.

love minus zero
06-05-2002, 12:28 AM
ok

c)Aeroplane Flies High is not as good a song as everyone says it is. I wouldnt have included it.

d)Saturnine, Winterlong and Soot and Stars are all great songs. And all who disagree can just piss off.

</font>

a. yes
b. yes, but I like spades
c. no its a great song, but the ending should have been kept
d. saturine/winterlong yes, soot & stars no
e. yes, but on rotten apples in place of real love
f. once in a while>czarina>my mistake
g. ahh, no

mytransgressions
06-05-2002, 04:49 AM
I've listened to it countless times. It's very good to listen to in the car.. on long drives.

But i would probably make some changes if i had the power

Replace Aeroplane flies high, Set the ray to jerry, Rock on and believe

with Laugh, Lover, Methusela, Speed Kills and Go (or Summer).

Replace Blissed and Gone (lame electronica version) with something close to the Adore demo version.

Then it would have been Incredible, nearly flawless compilation of b-sides and unreleased material and probably be up there with any Pumpkins release

[This message has been edited by mytransgressions (edited 06-05-2002).]

GhostChild
06-05-2002, 05:52 AM
Winterlong is one the best songs Billy Corgan has written. I find it funny how most of us complain we don't have certain demos, yet when Billy releases b-sides most of us never knew exsisted...we just complain how it could be better. And the Blissed and Gone that was released is amazing...probably the only Smashing Pumpkins song that can bring me to tears at any given time.

Crono
06-05-2002, 12:38 PM
ok

</font>

a)yes

b)no, tis a good song. What else would you have put on there?

c)then what would you have included from TAFH? the box set that is.

d)very much yes

e)more so then anything. Hell, i think it shoudl have been on the greatest hits.

f)once in awhile, but mistake isn't bad

g)yes

but i haven't had it in my cd player for a good 4 months... but SP hasn't graced my ears in excess for awhile either.

PauL

DoctaSoma
06-05-2002, 03:51 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Crono:
a)yes

b)no, tis a good song. What else would you have put on there?

c)then what would you have included from TAFH? the box set that is.

</font>

I could have done without anything from TAFH on Judas personally. I thought TAFH was a great collection in its own right, and didn't need representation on Judas.

-Ben

Digital Grey
06-05-2002, 04:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Undone:
<font color="CC33CC">That's b/c their sound was more uniform when Pisces came out.

</font>

I disagree. I think the songs on PI are just plain better songs. Overall, that is.

?Max

Woody
06-05-2002, 05:38 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Digital Grey:
I disagree. I think the songs on PI are just plain better songs. Overall, that is.

?Max

</font>

Not so. I think that the reason Judas O doesnt gel is mainly because of the radically diverse production of the final 3 eras in comparison with the initial two that Pisces covered. This jarring effect could, however, have been lessened by arranging the tracks differently.

IMHO 'Set the Ray to Jerry' was the only TAFH song worth including
on the album.

------------------
no bodies ever knew, no bodies felt like you.

Crono
06-06-2002, 02:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DoctaSoma:
I could have done without anything from TAFH on Judas personally. I thought TAFH was a great collection in its own right, and didn't need representation on Judas.

-Ben</font>

Considering that the collection as MCIS-Machina... since they called it a b-sides compilation it makes sense to put somethin from TAFH on there. They SHOULD have made it some demo/unreleased CD and then you have adore saturnine, winterlong, sparrow, etc. and LMGTWTY (hopefully) and other unreleased stuff. I would rather have TAFH stuff left off, but again it is a b-side comp, so....

PauL

Crono
06-06-2002, 02:04 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Digital Grey:

?Max

</font>

Gish and SD are the two closest albums in terms of sound, so i'd have to disagree with you. PI is better then Judas O, that being said. Judas has no flow, PI does. and better songs.

PauL

mytransgressions
06-06-2002, 02:25 AM
If they were gonna use stuff from mellon collie they should have put "Speed" and "Methusela" on it... Those are unreleased and from Mellon Collie.

Aeroplane Flies High is the definitive compliation of B-sides for that era and no song(most definitely not 4) should have been included on Judas O

DoctaSoma
06-06-2002, 04:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mytransgressions:

If they were gonna use stuff from mellon collie they should have put "Speed" and "Methusela" on it... Those are unreleased and from Mellon Collie.

</font>

The Methusela tape was lost, was it not?

-Ben

doctor awkward
06-06-2002, 08:52 PM
I listen to it a lot more often than I do to Greatest Hits.

Digital Grey
06-08-2002, 03:14 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Crono:
Gish and SD are the two closest albums in terms of sound, so i'd have to disagree with you. PI is better then Judas O, that being said. Judas has no flow, PI does. ****and better songs.****

PauL</font>

My post - I disagree. I think the songs on PI are just plain better songs. Overall, that is.
?Max

So God says to Saint Peter "Peter, I really need a vacation.."

Saint Peter reply's "Well, how's about Mars? Mars is pretty nice."

God says "No way, everytime I go to Mars my allergies act up from all of that red dust stuff, you know."

St. Peter offers "Well, what about Jupiter? Jupiter's nice. A big place, plenty of shit to do."

God answers "Last time I was vacationing in Jupiter the weather was horrible the whole time. And, to make matters worse, the day I left it was 80 and sunny. A waste of time."

St Peter questions "How about Saturn? I just got back from Saturn, it was great."

God replys "Yes, Saturn is great. But the last time I was there, I broke my leg skiing, and its just, you know, bad memories. I'd just really rather not."

St Peter says "Ok Earth then, you can't go wrong with Earth. It's green, tons of stuff to do, its warm, lots of things to see. A great place, really.

God replys "Yes, a great place it is. But i can't go back there. The last time I took a trip to earth, I knocked up some Jewish broad, and I've been hearing about it ever since."

/Max

scouse_dave
06-10-2002, 06:34 AM
never heard it

i just like the rat in the cage song