Old 10-27-2002, 06:46 PM   #1
Jesse
Banned

Thumbs up tom petty speaks out

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=16913

Old 10-27-2002, 07:31 PM   #2
THRILLHO
Apocalyptic Poster

that started off pretty strong, and then he starts to talk about sexualizing young girls and hip hop and the sixties and sounding like a rambling drunk old fart who's lost touch.

Old 10-27-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Well it's kind of easy for him to make that statement with all the bling bling rap on mtv. Not everyone knows about the indie hip-hop that only middle-class, white kids know about, oh yeah and Julio.

Old 10-27-2002, 10:45 PM   #4
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah well what if there were like a zillion bands out there like Ween. It would just be fucking stupid. Not everything can be stupid. And a lot of these guys aren't even trying to be silly, in fact their dead serious.

Old 10-27-2002, 11:13 PM   #5
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
Yeah well what if there were like a zillion bands out there like Ween. It would just be fucking stupid. Not everything can be stupid. And a lot of these guys aren't even trying to be silly, in fact their dead serious.

yeah. i agree. and i partially agree with the tone of the article, but i do think it's a little irresponsible perhaps to air those views in such a public way. then again, we live in a (questionable) democracy. i mean, i suppose he's speaking more to the type of people who only listen to that sort of thing and/or assume the style and ideals of that genre, and i use the term 'ideals' loosely.

Old 10-28-2002, 01:09 PM   #6
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Why is anybody surprised? I love Tom Petty, but he was never exactly well known for musical diversity. It's rather unsurprising that he would say stuff like that.

But at the same time, he does have his right to his opinions. And probably completely obliviously, he brought up a good point--the prevalence of bling-bling pretty much killed intelligent, mainstream hip-hop. I'm not saying there's no place for bling bling, goofy shit, but it seems as if the pedestal has swung too far in the other direction. It used to be that mainstream rap was the antithesis to the lowest common denominator of hair metal. Thirteen years ago when Chuck D said rap was the black man's news source (I can't remember the exact quote), it meant something. Now it's almost the complete opposite of that. And it's a goddamned shame, because for a while, those people were tearing shit up.

I'm not saying there's no place for a Jigga or a Missy, because there definitely is, but there needs to be more Ice-T's and Grandmaster Flashes.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:52 PM   #7
Mr. Rhinoceros

Thumbs down Do you even know any black people?

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
. Not everyone knows about the indie hip-hop that only middle-class, white kids know about, oh yeah and Julio.
You're so Austin it hurts.

Old 10-29-2002, 01:12 AM   #8
theonemofo

Red face

it's such a weak article. it's one thing to point out problems, it's another to fix them. who needs tom petty to tell you this stuff?

Old 10-29-2002, 01:41 AM   #9
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: Do you even know any black people?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros

You're so Austin it hurts.
Thanks for the info fattie.

Old 10-30-2002, 03:22 PM   #10
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by theonemofo
it's such a weak article. it's one thing to point out problems, it's another to fix them. who needs tom petty to tell you this stuff?
i do! i turn to tom petty for all my decisions in life.