Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
SlowlyChoking
Pledge

Default Thoughts on ZWAN?

I'm new here, been an SP fan since 92'. What's everyone opinion on ZWAN. Personally I think they're terrible. You look at everyone who makes up ZWAN, Chamberlain, Pajo, Corgan...I expected greatness. Instead we get Diet Smashing Pumpkins. I am especially amazed Pajo is apart of it. Especially after his greatness in Slint, Tortoise and Papa M.. Spiderland is one of my alltime favorite albums. It amazes me he would be part of that.

So ya, in conclusion...ZWAN sucks. Overhyped, Overated, Underachieving and just plain sad.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
Infandum
Demi-God

::runs for cover::

Old 09-11-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
chsllama
Apocalyptic Poster

zwan are suck

Old 09-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Liquid-J
keeping it to a dull roar

he is true!

Old 09-11-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
severin
no more than sympathy

i heard strong rumours from 2 bands who are label-mates in germany that they have in fact disbanded....i doubt it though

Old 09-11-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
kevinjboconnor
Ownz

whatever dude you just don't like them because you think pop songs suck

Old 09-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
SlowlyChoking
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by severin
whatever dude you just don't like them because you think pop songs suck
No I don't like them because ZWAN sucks. They got WAY too much talent too be wasted on such a crappy band.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
GrungeGuy
Ownz

Album sucks. Live show good.
Thats all I have to say about that.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #9
machinaddict
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by GrungeGuy
Album sucks. Live show good.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:11 PM   #10
AndItsAllGone
Ownz

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowlyChoking

No I don't like them because ZWAN sucks. They got WAY too much talent too be wasted on such a crappy band.
How did you get severin's name and color into the kevinjboconnor quote?

Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 PM   #11
Eulogy
huh

np: Endless Summer

You know what? This album is good.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:40 PM   #12
James is Cool
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking Re: Thoughts on ZWAN?

Quote:
Diet Smashing Pumpkins
This is pretty true.

I appreciate Zwan, but they're not my favorite ever. I do agree, however, with those who said they put on an excellent live show. Definitely

Old 09-11-2003, 11:49 PM   #13
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Default Re: Re: Thoughts on ZWAN?

Quote:
Originally posted by James is Cool

This is pretty true.

I appreciate Zwan, but they're not my favorite ever. I do agree, however, with those who said they put on an excellent live show. Definitely
Agreed.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #14
Nova
Banned

I increasingly find that the only people who totally hate Zwan are those that cannot live without having at least one hard song on an album. Metalheads.

Billy Corgan is in his mid-30's. He's not going to write angsty hard songs his entire life -- did you seriously think he would? When you get into your mid 30's and all you are listening to is angsty metal, then you're pretty sad.

Zwan may not be as good as the Pumpkins, but they aren't that bad. There's nothing wrong with happy, more simplistic music. So Billy made more of a pop record. He hasn't really done that before; just another genre he can put under his belt making him look all the the more diverse when people look back on all of his work years from now.

Besides, Mary Star of the Sea (especially live) is amazing, Zwan should be proud they wrote that epic, it is on par or better than the most epic of SP songs.

It's funny. Untitled is basically the direction Billy's songs were heading (Zwan) and people loved it because it was by SP.

People who hate Zwan and call them "Diet SP" or "too poppy to be SP" obviously want a "Smashing Pumpkins part II" which would be really dumb because they aren't SP.

Sure, Zwan could do more given the talent, but they haven't yet. It's not the end of the world. Wait until their second true poets album, I'm sure it'll be amazing. Billy is not one to repeat himself when in a band.

Go listen to the new APC record if you want something darker, more progressive. Of course it's really not that great.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:03 AM   #15
SlowlyChoking
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Nova
I increasingly find that the only people who totally hate Zwan are those that cannot live without having at least one hard song on an album. Metalheads.

Billy Corgan is in his mid-30's. He's not going to write angsty hard songs his entire life -- did you seriously think he would? When you get into your mid 30's and all you are listening to is angsty metal, then you're pretty sad.

Zwan may not be as good as the Pumpkins, but they aren't that bad. There's nothing wrong with happy, more simplistic music. So Billy made more of a pop record. He hasn't really done that before; just another genre he can put under his belt making him look all the the more diverse when people look back on all of his work years from now.

Besides, Mary Star of the Sea (especially live) is amazing, Zwan should be proud they wrote that epic, it is on par or better than the most epic of SP songs.

It's funny. Untitled is basically the direction Billy's songs were heading (Zwan) and people loved it because it was by SP.

People who hate Zwan and call them "Diet SP" or "too poppy to be SP" obviously want a "Smashing Pumpkins part II" which would be really dumb because they aren't SP.

Sure, Zwan could do more given the talent, but they haven't yet. It's not the end of the world. Wait until their second true poets album, I'm sure it'll be amazing. Billy is not one to repeat himself when in a band.

Go listen to the new APC record if you want something darker, more progressive. Of course it's really not that great.
First of all, the music I listen to has nothing to do with metal. Nor' do I care for "metal". The reason I despised them wasn't because they were happier songs. I despised them because they just aren't that good. The album in actuality isn't "Horrible". But it SHOULD have been, much, MUCH better. Especially since all of them have been around for so long.

It has nothing to do with whether a song is hard, or soft, or progressive. Who the fuck cares. I listen to pretty much every genre out there. I am not some SP freak who eats up everything and/or anything that has anything to do with the band (Which I'm afraid alot of fans are.). When songs aren't that good...they just aren't that good. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by SlowlyChoking : 09-16-2003 at 03:09 AM.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:02 AM   #16
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by chsllama
zwan are suck
Correction: zwan was suck.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:18 AM   #17
severin
no more than sympathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Slurpee

Correction: zwan was suck.
witty

Old 09-17-2003, 05:38 PM   #18
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Ok, fucktards, let's look at the evidence...

Lyric
El Sol
Settle Down
Cast A Stone
Broken Heart
Shining Path
World Goes Round
Endless Summer
Desire
Baby, Let's Rock
Whatever, Whenever
A New Poetry
Splled Milk
Love Lies in Ruin
Ring the Bells
Chrysanthemum
Pony Express
Wasting Time

etc. etc.

A band with songs of this quality on their resume (or obituary) cannot seriously be considered to "suck" by anyone with a set of fucking ears. How about you mardy bastards get your thumbs out of your asses and stop crying over the Pumpkins splitting up.

Incidentally, a reformation of the Pumpkins would be the worst decision Billy Corgan could ever make...

Old 09-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #19
SlowlyChoking
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody
Ok, fucktards, let's look at the evidence...

Lyric
El Sol
Settle Down
Cast A Stone
Broken Heart
Shining Path
World Goes Round
Endless Summer
Desire
Baby, Let's Rock
Whatever, Whenever
A New Poetry
Splled Milk
Love Lies in Ruin
Ring the Bells
Chrysanthemum
Pony Express
Wasting Time

etc. etc.

A band with songs of this quality on their resume (or obituary) cannot seriously be considered to "suck" by anyone with a set of fucking ears. How about you mardy bastards get your thumbs out of your asses and stop crying over the Pumpkins splitting up.

Incidentally, a reformation of the Pumpkins would be the worst decision Billy Corgan could ever make...
Maybe about 4 of those songs are good. The rest are crappy to decent. I'm not comparing ZWAN to anything. I am looking at all the talent ZWAN had. Then I looked at the end product of all that talent. And it's basically shite.

Old 09-18-2003, 01:38 PM   #20
chsllama
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I am looking at all the talent ZWAN had. Then I looked at the end product of all that talent. And it's basically shite.

I liked this part the best.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #21
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

they had a few catchy tunes, some rockin ones, good guitar solos and JC drumming as always. and one pretty sick one "Jesus I/Mary Star of the Sea" which showed the potential that they truly could have had if they just flat out went for it.

I seriously thought they were going to at least make it to the 2nd album, though. Its kind of a shock that they packed it in so soon.

Old 09-18-2003, 04:01 PM   #22
zerozwan
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
I seriously thought they were going to at least make it to the 2nd album, though. Its kind of a shock that they packed it in so soon.
that's what i thought. it must make all the people who made fun of zwan, just make fun of them even more.

i think it would be embarrasing.