Old 10-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #33
Elphenor
Braindead

looks like a rad book

Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #34
D.
Consume my pants.

Dope. I will. Book and movie!

Books haven't really gripped me in any real way except for Mothman Prophesies. The movie was garbage but the book made me uneasy for a while.

'Salem's Lot was probably close, though.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #35
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

when you get around to the dark tower, book one (the gunslinger) will blow your fucking mind. incredible stuff.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #36
Shallowed
Braindead

Last edited by Shallowed : 01-09-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #37
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
don't be angry it is just a funny story.

You don't even want to know how angry I am. This is serious.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #38
FoolofaTook

lol

haven't seen him the last couple of days. hope he's OK. i've seen him everywhere. i walk for miles, in all sorts of directions, and he manages to pop up all over, pumping frenetically, the sweat glistening on his ruddy torso (he doesn't seem able to tan, just turns red/pink).

lol god i am dumb.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #39
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Was actually considering being Count Orlok this year. I will never let a year pass without some form of costume. Best day of the fucking year.

Already got a shelf stacked full of two of every single mixed chocolate box available in my area.

John Carpenter's The Thing all day and all night for movies

Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #40
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I rewatched the original Halloween last night, then the second this morning. Kinda wish I hadn't done that cos the new one which I saw in the theater about an hour ago was apparently just a "re-sequel" to the first one, interesting concept and i'm not sure what people are gonna say bad about it but inevitably they'll find something since it's new. I agree the first one is a classic & one of my favorite halloween/horror movies of that nature

I also watched all 7 of the Chucky movies recently, and boy what a ride that was. By the 4th one they were essentially flat-out comedies but then on Curse of Chucky it went pretty starkly back to horror/terror, even more so than any of the originals ever were. Cult of Chucky was basically a sequel to that one & it doesn't look like they're wrapping up any time soon

Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #41
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Now that I got that off my chest, I ride hard for the Paranormal Activity franchise.
Saw that first shit opening night halloween night @ midnite; theater was sold out

Omg we fucken jumped and screamed and shivered

Will never forget how this movie made me feel

An all time fave 10/10

Old 10-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #42
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I think the silent hills (at least 1 thru 3) are scarier to me than any movie that i ever watched. Still waiting for a flick to even begin to match the overwhelming beauty of these games

Old 10-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #43
ilikeplanets
Braindead

we went to a corn maze cuz that's how we pre-halloween, i guess. that shit is difficult!!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #44
Disco King
Minion of Satan

When I forget to take my meds for a day or two, some of the withdrawal effects seem to be this feeling of terror that jolts me awake just as I begin to fall asleep, brain zaps, and a higher likelihood of nightmares.

Last night, it looked just like Nosferatu was standing in my closet. I tried to lunge at him, but I was paralyzed. Then I was like "hol' up, this shit ain't real, my brain is just dumb" and I went back to sleep.

THE NEXT MORNING, THE CLOSEST WAS STILL THERE. WAS IT REALLY A DREAM?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #45
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
I rewatched the original Halloween last night, then the second this morning. Kinda wish I hadn't done that cos the new one which I saw in the theater about an hour ago was apparently just a "re-sequel" to the first one, interesting concept and i'm not sure what people are gonna say bad about it but inevitably they'll find something since it's new. I agree the first one is a classic & one of my favorite halloween/horror movies of that nature

I also watched all 7 of the Chucky movies recently, and boy what a ride that was. By the 4th one they were essentially flat-out comedies but then on Curse of Chucky it went pretty starkly back to horror/terror, even more so than any of the originals ever were. Cult of Chucky was basically a sequel to that one & it doesn't look like they're wrapping up any time soon
I liked the little tributes and throwbacks they sneaked into the new Halloween. The only quibble I had with it was that they showed like 2/3 of his face. He's supposed to be faceless, maaaan.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #46
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Saw that first shit opening night halloween night @ midnite; theater was sold out

Omg we fucken jumped and screamed and shivered

Will never forget how this movie made me feel

An all time fave 10/10
we saw it when b. was living in a loft, which made noises here and there in the middle of the night. freaked her shit out lmao

Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #47
FoolofaTook

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
WAS IT REALLY A DREAM?
all that we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream

Old 10-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #48
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
all that we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream
oh, yeah? you like clive barker?

name three of his stories besides "haunting of hill house"

Old 10-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #49
FoolofaTook

not sure if you're joking but:

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #50
redbreegull

we are the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream

but who is the dreamer?

https://media.giphy.com/media/K4n9OKLqNkTpC/giphy.gif

Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #51
FoolofaTook

MANA YOOD SHUSHAI, duh.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #52
redbreegull

I haven't been invited to do anything on Halloween and I'm feelin' a little sad about it. I actually tend to get really morbidly depressed if I have nothing to do on a holiday where everyone else is out partying

Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #53
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Maybe you just have to be proactive about it? Most of my life, I've been the guy who has nothing to do on a celebratory holiday. Spent most Halloweens, New Years, Canada Days (Independence Day, in your case), etc. sad and alone, trying to convince myself I don't care about that kinda shit, anyway.

Since I've been making an effort to make friends and have some friend groups for the first time in my life, I've been getting some invites. But I don't get invited all the time. This year, a couple of weeks before the Halloween weekend, a sent out some texts asking various friends what they would be up to, just to see what my options are

Sending out these texts resulted in me being invited to a couple parties by people hosting or attending parties. Most of my life, I've been too hesitant to ask people what they are up to, not wanting to impose on anybody or been seen as "annoying" or "clingy." I was terrified of people inviting me out of pity or politeness, and being that annoying tag-along who essentially invited himself out.

But now I realize, the real reason you might not get an invite without asking people if they've got plans already isn't because they dislike you or only tolerate you. People are busy. Maybe it just slipped their mind to invite you. Or maybe they assumed you'd already have something going on. People actually think about us a lot less often than we think they do, so they likely aren't thinking negatively about you.

Just ask some buddies what their plans are, and you will most likely be provided with some options for how to spend your night.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #54
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Maybe you just have to be proactive about it? Most of my life, I've been the guy who has nothing to do on a celebratory holiday. Spent most Halloweens, New Years, Canada Days (Independence Day, in your case), etc. sad and alone, trying to convince myself I don't care about that kinda shit, anyway.

Since I've been making an effort to make friends and have some friend groups for the first time in my life, I've been getting some invites. But I don't get invited all the time. This year, a couple of weeks before the Halloween weekend, a sent out some texts asking various friends what they would be up to, just to see what my options are

Sending out these texts resulted in me being invited to a couple parties by people hosting or attending parties. Most of my life, I've been too hesitant to ask people what they are up to, not wanting to impose on anybody or been seen as "annoying" or "clingy." I was terrified of people inviting me out of pity or politeness, and being that annoying tag-along who essentially invited himself out.

But now I realize, the real reason you might not get an invite without asking people if they've got plans already isn't because they dislike you or only tolerate you. People are busy. Maybe it just slipped their mind to invite you. Or maybe they assumed you'd already have something going on. People actually think about us a lot less often than we think they do, so they likely aren't thinking negatively about you.

Just ask some buddies what their plans are, and you will most likely be provided with some options for how to spend your night.
yeah, I think this is correct, and good advice. I also feel weird sometimes fishing for an invite somewhere, but I guess that is the point in having friends.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #55
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Halloween is making me wanna party and be irresponsible I actually prefer New Year's Eve, but I don't mind having a few drinks in the house on that night. I feel like Halloween is more suited to going out. I'll get some candy and wine and just accept it.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #56
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Halloween will be a non-event again this year. The school is having a trunk and treat or whatever it's called.

Trunk and treat is the saddest thing, in my mind. The best thing about halloween was wandering the streets with your friends and knocking on people's doors to see who lived there and what kind of stuff they would give you. Trunk treat, you just walk around the school carpark and put carbs in a bag. What the hell kind of sad celebration is that?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #57
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Halloween is making me wanna party and be irresponsible I actually prefer New Year's Eve, but I don't mind having a few drinks in the house on that night. I feel like Halloween is more suited to going out. I'll get some candy and wine and just accept it.
I remember this feeling, not about Halloween specifically, but the feeling of wanting to go out and be irresponsible. it'll pass, don't worry! get candy and wine and watch a horror film and stay home, and then you'll wake up the next day and it'll all be over...

Old 10-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #58
ilikeplanets
Braindead

luckily i live in a place where there isn't much excitement, but when i travel into portland and see all the younger people roaming around, it really stirs up the the desire to get wild. i'm glad i am so busy and devoted to my family, because life as a clean addict is a permanent challenge to remain reasonable...especially when i want to meet people (since my old methods are no longer viable). i need to still feel like i am fun and interesting, so i'll need to relearn what that means for me.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #59
vixnix
Socialphobic

I reconnected with pre-drugs activities - I went to our little local church because I'd had a hill top experience one day, but I kept going every week for the music. I joined the little church choir, and started playing piano and organ for services. It was tough and awkward and I was around people in their 50s and 60s a lot, but actually they were often pretty wry and sarcastic (it was a rich area, so a lot of Maggie Smith types). Church has been more about making music collaboratively with others, than anything else, for me. Most of the time. That really helped.

Is there a writers group near you? I joined a writers group here in Singapore and it's been good.

But I hear ya. It gets worse for a while, as they get older. I always come away from school social gatherings feeling lonely and angry. But that seems to be winding down now for the older one, and high school seems to want less parental involvement.

I feel ashamed for not helping out with school stuff, so I volunteer - and then I'm stuck in a room with a bunch of women 10 years older than me, all talking about their house renovations, and humblebragging about test results and report grades. So choir and organ and piano helped give me a place where I could talk to people but it wasn't a perpetual competition.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #60
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
not sure if you're joking but:

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
I was totally joking but its ok. Im bad at jokes. I was referencing the memes where you confuse famous people's pictures, names, and notable works.
An example would be posting a picture of, say, the dude from Nickleback with the caption "You like Kurt Cobain? Name three of his songs besides 'Man in the Box'"