Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #121
smashedguava
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I’m just jotting down thoughts as I listen:

During Mandarynne, that descending piano riff from :50 to :57 is definitely used in another Pumpkins track. Can anyone recall where this is used? I do like the piano
Outro to Hummer...Listen to it again

Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #122
cork_soaker
full of longing

mandarynne -- what on earth is he saying at 0:41-42?

for everyone
pitching back
tu te mo [something in french perhaps?]
it's just like that

Old 10-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #123
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

This is the least embarrassing collection of songs Billy has released since the reunion. While not groundbreaking, I wouldn't be humiliated to have someone catch me listening to the bulk of these songs.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #124
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Why isn´t the stream working in europe??

Thx in advance

Old 10-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #125
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

because you touch yourself at night.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #126
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

As always, it's worth noting that Bill chose one of the worst songs on the album for the lead single.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #127
myosis
Minion of Satan

because he can

Old 10-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #128
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I like most of these songs. Made it about 75% through before falling asleep. This is a compliment.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #129
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashedguava View Post
Outro to Hummer...Listen to it again
That's it! Man, how could I forget?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #130
Ram27
dumb

kinda reminds of Vanilla a bit too

Old 10-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #131
redbreegull

honestly I would not say this album is "good" but it's also not bad. It's very inoffensive and better than most of what he has done in the past 10 years. His voice is better here (and produced a little better). I think some of the songs are decently pretty and nice to listen to. I've listened 3 times all the way through now... I'm not sure I ever got all the way through every song on Monuments in one sitting. I'm impressed (my expectations were very low).

like it's pretty boring but he does sound like he is trying and the lyrics are a LOT LOT better here than they have been since TFE days probably.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #132
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i like it. there's some small hints of classic pumpkins sounds in here, and he doesn't sound like, for the most part, he's trying to force anything.. which is what at least zeitgeist, tear garden and monuments sounded like. monuments was terrible. the worst.

oceania i don't mind but i think it would have been better with jimmy on the boom booms.

first 2 tracks mandarin and archer are stand outs for me. but it does feel like it's missing that one end all be all mother fucker of a tune.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #133
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
because you touch yourself at night.
I just therefore touched your link. Didn't know that I have eagle eyes

Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #134
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
honestly I would not say this album is "good" but it's also not bad. It's very inoffensive and better than most of what he has done in the past 10 years. His voice is better here (and produced a little better). I think some of the songs are decently pretty and nice to listen to. I've listened 3 times all the way through now... I'm not sure I ever got all the way through every song on Monuments in one sitting. I'm impressed (my expectations were very low).

like it's pretty boring but he does sound like he is trying and the lyrics are a LOT LOT better here than they have been since TFE days probably.

Fairest assessment I've seen yet.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #135
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

I said in the other thread that Billy seems interested in a new record from the OG pumpkins lineup in the way that a fan would be. Sort of on the outside of it and curious. There is some good stuff on OGILALA that could have been developed further. It would be cool if this record was sort of the palette cleanser, and Billy REALLY gets it together and it leads to a solid new Pumpkins record with Jimmy, James, and hopefully D'arcy.

Last edited by Insight_Scoop : 10-06-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #136
Cool As Ice Cream

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
and the lyrics are a LOT LOT better here than they have been since TFE days probably.
"O-OH DARK NIGHT"

so deep. it works on so many levels.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #137
fuzzyroes
Banned

I dunno guys, the songwriting here is as weak and lazy as it's ever been if you ask me... But instead of repeating a shallow phrase over and over again for a chorus like "come on come on can you feel it" it's now "take me as I am" over and over and over again... And I guess people are satisfied cause it seems "deep" and "meaningful" but it still reeks of being lazy and slapped together.

A ballad like Tonight Tonight, Disarm, 33 or even Shame exuded passion, vulnerability and was beautifully poetic. This new music is still the simplistic, formulaic writing people hated on Monuments but with a pseudo-personal coating.

All the dramatic and sensational orchestra replicated synths can't cover the fact that there's just nothing really all that interesting or inspiring here.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 10-07-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #138
fuzzyroes
Banned

A song like 33 is a perfect example, cause it almost seems like he's going for a similar vibe with these new songs. But a song like 33 has so many different twists and turns and it really has a significant build up. It's a brilliant song.

All of these tracks are pretty much just a lazy verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure with little to no variance.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #139
fuzzyroes
Banned

I do concur that this is the best production we've heard in a long, long time... But as they say, you can't polish a turd...haha

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 10-07-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #140
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I dunno guys, the songwriting here is as weak and lazy as it's ever been if you ask me... But instead of repeating a shallow phrase over and over again for a chorus like "come on come on can you feel it" it's now "take me as I am" over and over and over again... And I guess people are satisfied cause it seems "deep" and "meaningful" but it still reeks of being lazy and slapped together.

A ballad like Tonight Tonight, Disarm, 33 or even Shame exuded passion, vulnerability and was beautifully poetic. This new music is still the simplistic, formulaic writing people hated on Monuments but with a pseudo-personal coating.

All the dramatic and sensational orchestra replicated synths can't cover the fact that there's just nothing really all that interesting or inspiring here.
the repetiveness of the lyrics is really ridiculous. like how can he not realize that's bad?

it worked in rhinoceros cause that's like psychedelic shoegaze stuff. if it's just him and an acoustic it's boring as hell

Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #141
fuzzyroes
Banned

[–]montelds 5 points 1 day ago

I like the simplicity of the music.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #142
fuzzyroes
Banned

[–]montelds 5 points 1 day ago*

My brief track by track thoughts:

Zowie: sounds like it could have been a Machina II track.

Processional: a modern folk track

The Spaniards: A wandering space cowboy

Aeronaut: Creative in a trance space music

The Long Goodbye: not sure how to describe this

Half-Life of an Autodidact: Sounds like a song that could have come from 2007 Fillmore, like Peace + Love

Amarinthe: Another song I feel like would of been played in 2007 @ the Fillmore

Antietam: At a loss for words

Mandarynne: Another track that reminds me of machina II sounding but as if it were re imagined.

Shiloh: I think of that dog movie from the 90's so I'm lost on this 1.

Archer: I love this track, it feels like pure inspiration being poured from a pitcher into a cup.

permalinkembedreport

Old 10-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #143
fuzzyroes
Banned

Jeeze, all the Netphoria cast-offs are out in full-force on Reddit

[–]Kreatorkind 2 points 16 hours ago

Man. This is really good. I think my favorite so far is Archer. I'm gonna have to listen to it another few hundred times...

BC has been pretty much my favorite songwriter simply for the fact he can put out an album like this, but also write something like United States or Where Boys Fear To Tread, then come out of left field with stuff like SuperChrist.

He's one of the only artists I listen to that has several songs for any mood I'm in. If I want introspective, he's got it. If I want to rock out, he's got it. If I want some nice songs that are heartfelt, he's got it. If I want to hear some crazy shit, he's got it. Who else has this kind of range?

Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #144
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
the repetiveness of the lyrics is really ridiculous. like how can he not realize that's bad?

it worked in rhinoceros cause that's like psychedelic shoegaze stuff. if it's just him and an acoustic it's boring as hell
Yeah I mean, listening again, the productions nice and it's inoffensive, but there's just no depth or intricacies in the writing.

I think I'm gonna rip some guitar over the top of a few of these songs, maybe add in a little percussion and post my "reimagined" mixes here... Cause really, these tracks do just sound like half-cooked demos... There's an interesting framework of a song here and there and I've got some cool ideas for the track number 5.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #145
fuzzyroes
Banned

Man... I hate to keep playing the fucking Grinch here, but I've heard a few people say this is the best work since the reunion and blah, blah blah.

Here's a song done in the exact same kind of vibe as the Ogilala album and it absolutely slays any of the songs on the album.

So I mean, shit... We really gotta stop the sensational rah-rah-rah exaggerations when it comes to a lackluster new release of his.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #146
fuzzyroes
Banned

even though it's a soft tender acoustic take, it still features interesting guitar work... Not just the lazy hippy strumming of the new release... Like come on guys. Open your ears.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #147
Cool As Ice Cream

But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha But as they, you can't polish a turd...haha

Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #148
Cool As Ice Cream

stop fucking posting fuzzy go to bed

Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #149
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
[–]montelds 5 points 1 day ago*

My brief track by track thoughts:

Zowie: sounds like it could have been a Machina II track.

Processional: a modern folk track

The Spaniards: A wandering space cowboy

Aeronaut: Creative in a trance space music

The Long Goodbye: not sure how to describe this

Half-Life of an Autodidact: Sounds like a song that could have come from 2007 Fillmore, like Peace + Love

Amarinthe: Another song I feel like would of been played in 2007 @ the Fillmore

Antietam: At a loss for words

Mandarynne: Another track that reminds me of machina II sounding but as if it were re imagined.

Shiloh: I think of that dog movie from the 90's so I'm lost on this 1.

Archer: I love this track, it feels like pure inspiration being poured from a pitcher into a cup.

permalinkembedreport
instant classic

Old 10-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #150
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
stop fucking posting fuzzy go to bed
Yeah man, just working on some NCAA pig-skin picks before i hit the hay.

At least I found that Monte gem though