Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Default Dear Sales People

If I ask a very simple and basic question, for example "How much will this cost?", and you respond with a 2 minute spiel in which you tell me it's free but it costs $15, I'm going to hang up on you. There is also then no need to call me back in desperation 2 seconds after I hang up on your boiler room working ass.

Oh also if I tell you to e-mail me your offer, or ask for number where I can call you back and you can't do that. There is no way in hell you are getting my money.

People are getting so fucking desperate trying to sell ad space.

/rant

Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
hnibos
Braindead

i cant work in the corporate world

Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Order Now the new Smashing Pumpkins: Teargarden By Kaleidyscope 1: Songs for a Sailor Box Set for only $23.99, available May 25, 2010. Click here to Order Now from Amazon.com

Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Starla

My very first job was telemarketing. I worked in a little trailer with wood paneling. It was for some siding company. These people were vicious b/c your prize for booking appointments was a brand new pencil with their company name on it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
My very first job was telemarketing. .
Me too. I sold Book of the Month Club, Natural Disaster Insurance, and Columbia House. Sold the hell out of 'em, too.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

i worked in an inbound call center. so my reply is irrelevant. other than it sucked cock, don't do it pleease.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Rider
Minion of Satan

It's annoying every time i do a little bit of marketing for my business for the next 3 weeks I get calls from ever damn directory site on the internet.

The funny thing is I will be working with the company that called me yesterday. There is just no way in hell I'm signing up over the phone from some sleazy sales pitch. I hate being lied to.

If the guy had just said "we have this package that costs $15 heres what you get with it." But instead I get "WE have these small ads we run and we do call tracking and over the last 3 months one of these ads generated 200 calls for a company similar to yours and guess what this is free. Isn't that amazing you can get 2000 calls for free."

Next time I get a pitch like this I 'm going to ask if they can track how many of these calls are coming from boiler rooms trying to sell ad space.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
There is also then no need to call me back in desperation 2 seconds after I hang up on your boiler room working ass.
time warner did this to me the other day, i had investigated their offers for cable internets and found out that i have to pay a monthly fee to rent their modem and said "fuck this" but i had somehow gotten far enough into the site that they were able to call me and hound me. the first guy was ok, and i understood sort of but the second guy kept hounding me, i already had internets i tole him, he said well what about cable i can get you super I'm not interested in cable, OH but sir there's so much that FUCK YOU DIE and i hung up then he called back in seconds

Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Me too. I sold Book of the Month Club, Natural Disaster Insurance, and Columbia House. Sold the hell out of 'em, too.
what was your strategy?

I also worked at a cable company (for 3 1/2 months). People would call in crying about their cable being shut off, that or I got screamed at. It is insane the amount of people who think they will die without their tv shows.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
what was your strategy?

I also worked at a cable company (for 3 1/2 months). People would call in crying about their cable being shut off, that or I got screamed at. It is insane the amount of people who think they will die without their tv shows.
That's not telemarketing.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
what was your strategy?
Basically I just completely deviated from the script and tried to have a real conversation with the person. I listened to what they had to say. Like, if they clearly weren't interested I wasn't going to push it or anything. Why waste both of our time? But if they did seem interested I knew what direction I needed to steer the conversation to seal the deal. I did that by listening.

That ABC mentality is complete bull-shit.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Basically I just completely deviated from the script and tried to have a real conversation with the person. I listened to what they had to say. Like, if they clearly weren't interested I wasn't going to push it or anything. Why waste both of our time? But if they did seem interested I knew what direction I needed to steer the conversation to seal the deal. I did that by listening.

That ABC mentality is complete bull-shit.

Yeah that's the part that drives me nuts. You can hear the damn script in their voice, I could even tell you the parts that are bolded for them. When I cut you off and ask you how much it costs me that is your opportunity to break script, if you just not only continue the script but also lie to me I'm hanging up.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: yeah seriously i think we've more than established a consensus on reality, it's not that abstract.

i hate selling stuff, it makes me feel bad. i certainly couldn't do it as a career.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

any thoughts on what you do want to do kiddo?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #15
iPumpkin
Ownz

Coupon comes in mail for 5.99 Pizza
Call & order
Total is 12.59 after Tax, 1 Topping, & Delivery fee.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUU

Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Dear blah blah blah,

Why don't you blah blah blah
blah
blah blah
rider

Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

I don't get people who don't hang up on telemarketers. Or those that chew them out. Like the last thing they want is an earful of lol instead of another, immediately auto-dialed cold call.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I don't get people who don't hang up on telemarketers. Or those that chew them out. Like the last thing they want is an earful of lol instead of another, immediately auto-dialed cold call.
Whenever I hear prank phone calls I always wonder why the fuck the person stayed on the phone with them.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Earful of lol on the 45