Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Thumbs up Jimmy discusses the "white van" and how it rekindled his appreciation for music.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

fuck this cameraman.

also, i like how it cuts out right as the music starts.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Jesus Cambodia
Demi-God

Awesome. My immediate reaction to this was "Fuck you Billy Corgan, you dumbass stupid motherfucking piece of shit shitty-ass wanna be pop-song makin' son-of-a-bitch!" It's too bad Jimmy couldn't talk some sense into him.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
...also, i like how it cuts out right as the music starts.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

There's some heartfelt stuff on those clips.

Billy fired this guy.

Let that sink in for a few moments.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Springbridge
Ownz

His new music is going to be great. Can't wait.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Kahlo

This makes me so excited for the next JC release. The guy comes across as really honest and open without all the BS - I always feel like JC never has anything left to prove, but Corgan seems like the opposite. Long live the white van man!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Starla

Billy needs to take a lesson from jimmy on humility, and how to talk to and treat your fans.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Such a badass

Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

When Jimmy said, "The first thing that came to my mind was that it could be a sort of Keith Moon opus," I felt so sad. Because it's THIS kind of intuitive and creative genius in percussion arrangement that Billy dropped for

MIKE FUCKING BYRNE.

Not to mention that Jimmy comes off as such a great guy, and has for many years now.

None of us truly know what happened behind closed doors with Billy and Jimmy, but at the end of the day, who is it that talks more about MUSIC?

Jimmy cares about what he does.

Billy cares about what we care about him doing.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post

DAMNIT BILLY CORGAN, what the fuck were you thinking when you chose Byrne's Widow Wake My Mind talent over THIS???

Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Springbridge
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
When Jimmy said, "The first thing that came to my mind was that it could be a sort of Keith Moon opus," I felt so sad. Because it's THIS kind of intuitive and creative genius in percussion arrangement that Billy dropped for

MIKE FUCKING BYRNE.

Not to mention that Jimmy comes off as such a great guy, and has for many years now.

None of us truly know what happened behind closed doors with Billy and Jimmy, but at the end of the day, who is it that talks more about MUSIC?

Jimmy cares about what he does.

Billy cares about what we care about him doing.
Mike Byrne seems like a nice guy.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

What I don't get is that hearing Jimmy talk, there's no trace of being destructive there at all... he strikes me as being incredibly focussed, dedicated, passionate and sincere about music and his family. I'd love to know in what context he's destructive. By calling Billy out on terrible ideas I would suspect.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
charade
Pledge

byrne seems like a nice guy. but it`s way easier to be a nice guy if you just 20years (or maybe 12 years?). jimmy is 40 went thru a lot of shit and he IS very nice.
byrne is a good drummer but of course he can`t stand up with jimmy and he`s much too young for a band with older members. corgan could easily be his father. this is disgusting. SP3 is not authentic, it`s an "organization". it were better if billy had chosen a less talented drummer who fits more in the band or who has a style of playing totally different from jimmy. fuck you billy corgan! chamberlin is the only thing left of the true smashing pumpkins. though I don`t like the voice of the "this"-singer that much, the music is a thousand times preferable to billy`s SP3-popsongs and I`m looking forward to buy the upcoming "this"(-album), because the music sound organic, honest and authentic like the pumpkins were many years ago. :-) "this" is what we`ve missed.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Just because your camera can zoom dose not mean you need to use it.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Just wanna chime in and jump on the "billy sucks, jimmy rules once again" band wagon.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
nofix
Demi-God

sorry. i don't get it. no one would care about jc if he wasn't in the pumpkins. yeah, good drummer, but don't act like you're perfect, and you have all the answers, and act like you weren't hand in hand with corgan the last 20 years.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
Kahlo

what the fuck is your point exactly?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
paranoid
Minion of Satan

right on.. what i've been saying all along. jimmy the man billy is lame.

also cna't believe it took this long for people to notice these vids. i thought you all saw them and just didn't give a fuck. perhaps it took billy bad mouthing JC that brought attention to what he's been up to.

either way he seems to be in a much better place than billy.. he's all like, grown up and stuff.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
Corganist
Minion of Satan

I'm not sure that what Jimmy said here is, at its core, really all that different than the kind of stuff Billy says when he gets off on similar rants. There were a couple times in that clip where it seemed like Jimmy was damn near channeling Billy (the stuff about there not being one hit-making entity anymore, for instance). They seem to view the overall state of the music industry similarly. The only difference is that Jimmy has a defeatist outlook on it. "We can't be popular again in this day and age, so why even try?" is what I'm hearing. He can talk about loving music all day long, but there's no ambition there anymore. And what are the Smashing Pumpkins without ambition?

It's great that Jimmy is getting to do what makes him happy. I just don't see why Billy playing lip service to having a popular song is so bad. If Billy was signed to a big label again and in the studio right now recording "Zeitgeist 2" with a different drummer, autotuned vocals, and rapper guest appearances, then yeah, I suppose you could throw him under the bus for being a pop-song whore. But instead he's recording mediocre folk songs and releasing them for free. The gap between what Billy and Jimmy are respectively doing isn't nearly as wide as some make out.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #21
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

It is great to see Jimmy take what Billy no doubt considered a low blow and putting a positive spin on it. Both dudes have hopefully banked millions and there are worse things than playing to 500-1000 people every night who really want to hear what you're doing and aren't sitting through an awful Pink Floyd cover because they think they have to.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass View Post
It is great to see Jimmy take what Billy no doubt considered a low blow and putting a positive spin on it. Both dudes have hopefully banked millions and there are worse things than playing to 500-1000 people every night who really want to hear what you're doing and aren't sitting through an awful Pink Floyd cover because they think they have to.

I don't thin either one of them has anywhere near millions. Well I take that back With all the licencing Bollys been doing I pretty sure he has a few million, but not Jimmy.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I don't thin either one of them has anywhere near millions. Well I take that back With all the licencing Bollys been doing I pretty sure he has a few million, but not Jimmy.
Billy definitely has more than a million dollars dude, licensing aside. The guy has sold somewhere near 30 million records and put on thousands of live performances.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #24
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
"We can't be popular again in this day and age, so why even try?" is what I'm hearing. He can talk about loving music all day long, but there's no ambition there anymore. And what are the Smashing Pumpkins without ambition?
it's called being an adult about the reality of the current situation and not living in denial. Maybe once Billy realizes this perhaps he'll move the fuck on and start focusing on just the quality of his music again.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
I'm not sure that what Jimmy said here is, at its core, really all that different than the kind of stuff Billy says when he gets off on similar rants. There were a couple times in that clip where it seemed like Jimmy was damn near channeling Billy (the stuff about there not being one hit-making entity anymore, for instance). They seem to view the overall state of the music industry similarly. The only difference is that Jimmy has a defeatist outlook on it. "We can't be popular again in this day and age, so why even try?" is what I'm hearing. He can talk about loving music all day long, but there's no ambition there anymore. And what are the Smashing Pumpkins without ambition?

It's great that Jimmy is getting to do what makes him happy. I just don't see why Billy playing lip service to having a popular song is so bad. If Billy was signed to a big label again and in the studio right now recording "Zeitgeist 2" with a different drummer, autotuned vocals, and rapper guest appearances, then yeah, I suppose you could throw him under the bus for being a pop-song whore. But instead he's recording mediocre folk songs and releasing them for free. The gap between what Billy and Jimmy are respectively doing isn't nearly as wide as some make out.
Finally, something I can agree with you on. I think Jimmy says just as much stupid shit as Billy does, let's not forget that Jimmy's "love letters" and interviews were also saturated with new age crap and all of that other nonsense Billy loves to repeat. I don't think either one of them is necessarily right or wrong on the issue of the current state of music, they're just on different sides of the fence. I don't think it is their mentality that is affecting the quality of their music, I think they seem lost for the most part and have little focus of what and where to go musically. But don't get me wrong, it still sucks that Jimmy won't be on anymore SP recordings (although their output together has been mediocre for several years now, and I don't expect their respective projects will be anything more than mediocre at this rate) and I do think it was a shitty way to end their 20+ years of work and friendship.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

What a sausage fest.

Also, chill with those air quotes Jimmy.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Billy definitely has more than a million dollars dude, licensing aside. The guy has sold somewhere near 30 million records and put on thousands of live performances.
He's also bad with money.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #28
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
it's called being an adult about the reality of the current situation and not living in denial. Maybe once Billy realizes this perhaps he'll move the fuck on and start focusing on just the quality of his music again.
Had Billy (or Jimmy for that matter) had that attitude 20 years ago, we would have never heard of either of them. But they had drive, and Billy still has it. I don't see how that can be a bad thing.

If Jimmy wants to be in small scale operation because that's what is the best fit for him right now, that's fantastic. If he loves small shows and playing his own music and having time for his family, then by all means he should do all that and pursue it to the fullest extent. Or if he's just burnt out on being in a large band, or burnt out on Billy, or whatever, that's fine too. Not everyone is a fucking Rolling Stone and wants to go on massive world tours well through middle (and old) age.

But if he's doing it because he somehow thinks that the deck is stacked against he and Billy ever becoming popular again and just doesn't want to try for it anymore then that's just weak. And as fans, I'm not sure why so many accept and defend such an attitude. I mean, we have two people who recognize a difficult problem and assess it the same way. If one says "Let's try harder to solve it," and the other says "Fuck it. It's too hard. Let's give up," how do you really side with the latter?

Last edited by Corganist : 04-03-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #29
paranoid
Minion of Satan

yes but the reality of it all is that no matter how hard billy tries, he'll never, EVER reach that mass appeal he once had. He can have all ambition he wants, but he'll be doing smaller scale shows for the rest of his life, no matter what.

but wait a second here, billy has said as of the recent year that he can accept the fact that he's creating mediocre art these days, and he'd rather do that than pour all of his soul into it.. so what the fuck are you on about? he hasn't really done anything as of recent to indicate that he's giving his all as he did 20 years ago. that time is obviously past and jimmy seems ok with moving on with it and doing what he loves doing best, making music. billy doesn't know what the hell he wants out of his life right now.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #30
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofix View Post
sorry. i don't get it. no one would care about jc if he wasn't in the pumpkins. yeah, good drummer, but don't act like you're perfect, and you have all the answers, and act like you weren't hand in hand with corgan the last 20 years.
I don't know if it was mentioned in the wankfest discussion that followed this post, but no-one would care about Billy if he wasn't in the Pumpkins either.