Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
where is me
Demi-God

Default Spectrum of a Song

To give birth to new meanings on songs, it probably isn’t a good idea to bring up a top 6 with songs that the Pumpkins brought forward. But still, like you meet new people, who shine a different light on you; it can ‘expand’ your self. So, maybe, other visions and ideas of songs that come to my ears in mostly one fashion, will gain more range and depth, when listened with other ears. Your ears.

So if you want, throw in your top 6 of Pumpkin songs (live versions maybe) and with an explanation where possible.

Here is mine:

1. Methusela
Plain beautiful to me. Unfortunately it isn’t in quite good condition and (to my knowledge) only available as this version. Is this about his problematic relationship with his father?
2. 1979This one never bores me. The video captures the sphere of the sound just perfectly. Teenagers running around, tearin’ up the place, getting drunk, getting high, etc. Easy to identify with…
3. Do You Close Your Eyes
A demo from the Adore period. A romantic love song. His voice is kinda raw on this, I like that. I wonder why it’s never released. Can listen this song for hours on repeat.
4. Blissed and Gone
I never liked it real much, but after listening this in another context, it came through, or something. It always makes me think and feel that here Billy reflects on all that was, and it all converges in the last lines and as a last cry, when he sings ‘I had no voice…I had no drive…I had no choice…I've done my time…I had myself…Had my band…I had my love…Had no hand in watching it all fall apart …’
5. Glass and the Ghost Children
A lot of sentimental memories on this one, actually on all of the Machine album. When under the influence of whatever, it is hallucinating to hear the song shift towards the hypnotising as-she-counting-the-spiders. Fabulous.
6. The End is the Beginning is the End
Especially the clip is so significant to me. The non-verbal movements of Corgan just, to me, grasps the exact emotion surrounding his melancholy mysteries really well. ‘Does it make you happy? You are so strange’, does that got anything to do with the character of Batman? I never saw this movie, is the song played completely and with which scene actually?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

WTF

Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

God, I hope English is not your first language. It's like that which made my high-school English teacher forbid the use of semi-colons; still, I broke his rules because semi-colons kick ass.

But back to your post. I prefer the ultra-treble portion of most Pumpkins songs. Though the infra-bass of "Ugly" also really does it for me.

Had you posted a topic entitled "Top 6 Pumpkin songs for you," I might have replied:
Thru the Eyes of Ruby,
Marquis in Spades,
Hummer,
Snail,
Drown,
Stand Inside Your Love,
oh shit that's six already. Fuck.

Ask me again in 30 minutes and I'll give you another answer.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

Does it make you happy? You are so strange

Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by where is me
1. Methusela
Plain beautiful to me. Unfortunately it isn’t in quite good condition and (to my knowledge) only available as this version. Is this about his problematic relationship with his father?
2. 1979This one never bores me. The video captures the sphere of the sound just perfectly. Teenagers running around, tearin’ up the place, getting drunk, getting high, etc. Easy to identify with…
3. Do You Close Your Eyes
A demo from the Adore period. A romantic love song. His voice is kinda raw on this, I like that. I wonder why it’s never released. Can listen this song for hours on repeat.
4. Blissed and Gone
I never liked it real much, but after listening this in another context, it came through, or something. It always makes me think and feel that here Billy reflects on all that was, and it all converges in the last lines and as a last cry, when he sings ‘I had no voice…I had no drive…I had no choice…I've done my time…I had myself…Had my band…I had my love…Had no hand in watching it all fall apart …’
5. Glass and the Ghost Children
A lot of sentimental memories on this one, actually on all of the Machine album. When under the influence of whatever, it is hallucinating to hear the song shift towards the hypnotising as-she-counting-the-spiders. Fabulous.
Especially the clip is so significant to me. The non-verbal movements of Corgan just, to me, grasps the exact emotion surrounding his melancholy mysteries really well. ‘Does it make you happy? You are so strange’, does that got anything to do with the character of Batman? I never saw this movie, is the song played completely and with which scene actually?
wow, i'm finally going to be able to appreciate these songs.
thanks.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i'm glad you guys didn't get this either. At first I worried something was wrong with my brain.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

ME TOO

whoa caps. i think this is a stoned thread.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
1100ww
Ownz

Quote:
Can listen this song for hours on repeat.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking

Quote:
Especially the clip is so significant to me. The non-verbal movements of Corgan just, to me, grasps the exact emotion surrounding his melancholy mysteries really well.
Excellent

Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
xezton
Ownz

whoa..

people actually replied to this?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

I pick 1 & 3...both are in my top 20 for sure. Great songs. Although I thought this thread was going to have more pictures of "clipping"...

I'm a little disappointed...

Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
T&T
Socialphobic

you can't see clipping from a spectrograph

Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

prove it

Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
AnnMarie727
Apocalyptic Poster