Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2002, 02:25 PM   #31
frail_and_bedazzled

hmmm. fucking assholes. you, of course, have the right to go. that's insane.

Old 04-16-2002, 02:27 PM   #32
tick

Unhappy

all this for a corn ball prom

Old 04-16-2002, 02:33 PM   #33
twilightfadez

thats just fucked up. i hate society when it comes to issues like this. its ok for girls to go together, but everyone flips out if its guys.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:29 PM   #34
melancholia

it is your high school prom, and it is up to you to make the most of it and be happy...
http://ligaly.com
I helped plan the Pride Gala...a prom for gay couples... it was a really great event.

don't worry about your parents...eventually they'll see that you're not a child anymore.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:55 PM   #35
orange crush

Exclamation

proms are overrated anyway, just tell your parents you are going, and get a motel room instead.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:59 PM   #36
Delta

gay prom dates have been front page news here in toronto for like the last 3 or 4 weeks. some kid in one of the burbs wants to take his boyfriend to his catholic high school's prom, the school refused, so he raised a huge stink. he lost in the end, which isnt surprising considering it was a catholic high school, which seem to operate independant of the canadian human right charter

Old 04-16-2002, 05:59 PM   #37
Lunadisarm

If you go to a private school (and I think you do?) then they can forbid you from going with a same sex date, to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure that by deciding to go to a private school, many of your rights are almost "signed away." For example, dress codes are debated as being against the freedom of expression... however, they hold up in court since you could always leave the private school and go to a public one that has no dress code.

So I would assume that you may not be allowed to bring a same sex date because it's a private school and you choose to go there, per se. I don't know for a fact though.

~beth

Old 04-16-2002, 06:05 PM   #38
Samsa

yes exactly. what elizabeth said (then why do i bother repeating?) ...i think simply because alex goes to a private school they can do whatever they want. actually..you know, private schools aren't allowed to racially discrimintate though right? (bob jones university isssue dealing with interracial marriages or something?) anyways...yeah. but . i dunno. i guess as the law stands right now they can do whatever the fuck they want in regards to homosexuality. it may change in the future though. we'll see.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:31 PM   #39
TiaraGurl

Wasn't this on dawson's creek?

all joking aside I know that you don't want to be political alex but if you end up being able to go maybe you will show other people it is not such a big deal to be yourself and that could be a good thing.

did you have your catscan thing?

Old 04-16-2002, 06:37 PM   #40
Aeroplane

Angry

I would just say fuck the fucking prom, BUT . . . since they've pissed me (and most of us and hopefull you) off, I'd go just to annoy them. I understand you don't want to make an issue out of this, but someone else already did. Stand up now or always be walked on. It just makes me http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/mad.gif !

Old 04-16-2002, 07:26 PM   #41
peabody

Red face

ok. here's the scoop.

i've been talking to my parents a lot, and they seem pretty ok with the idea of me going with Daniel. they just are mad about me lying, of course.

i'm meeting with the principal tomorrow morning, and will tell him a nice little list of things i have.

i'm sure it will work out. thanks for the supportive replies. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 04-16-2002, 07:28 PM   #42
peabody

oh, and NO, i will not be making out with Daniel on the dance floor. I will most likely just dance casually....no griding. i don't do that to anyone, anyways.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:31 PM   #43
peabody

oh, and what suze and liz say are true. they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:59 PM   #44
The_Super_Dan

If you do get to go, make sure to wear this:

http://erosboutique.org/store/graphi...1/mh2-0902.jpg

Old 04-16-2002, 08:10 PM   #45
Ammy

dan, you're a dork http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

this thread is amaizing, for once I'm happy with the way the board is being supportive.

good luck boy!

Old 04-16-2002, 09:16 PM   #46
sawdust restaurants

Thumbs up

Yeah, this thread kicks ass.

And props to Alex for having the balls to go through with it.

Old 04-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #47
Best Looking Boy

I'm sure if there is a god... Liking Days of the New will get you into hell quicker than being gay.
Have fun Travis Meeks.

Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 PM   #48
melancholymystic

The exact same thing happened up here. It was in the paper just about a week ago. The principle of a high-school wouldnt let a gay guy go with his boyfriend.

Old 04-16-2002, 10:18 PM   #49
strange_one

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Meeks:
damn, must suck to be gay eh?

travis meeks....insightful as ever

Old 04-16-2002, 10:20 PM   #50
killtheyouth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy:
I'm sure if there is a god... Liking Days of the New will get you into hell quicker than being gay.
Have fun Travis Meeks.
and the first creed album.

Old 04-16-2002, 10:20 PM   #51
Graveflower

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by strange_one:
travis meeks....insightful as ever

Don't you wish that was your name?

Old 04-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #52
killtheyouth

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
Don't you wish that was your name?
i sure do....*sigh*...

Old 04-16-2002, 10:27 PM   #53
Best Looking Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by killtheyouth:
and the first creed album.
You're doomed Meeks.

Old 04-17-2002, 03:17 PM   #54
PhantomFM

congradgeelashuns. i'd put more into this but everytime I've written a long thought out reply to you've i've been ignored, so I'll just go sit and pout now

------------------
PhantomFM

Old 04-17-2002, 03:28 PM   #55
MisterSquishyHalo

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by peabody:
So, I asked my good friend Daniel to go to my prom with me. He said yes, and got his tuxedo as did I.

My parents asked whom I was going with and I said, "Janelle Sealy," who doesn't exist, really. They've banned me from dating, seeing other guys, and pretty much anything sexual, but anyways, I thought that they'd surely say no to this...So, I lied. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

So my brother finds out from me, and I usually trust him, but he went and told my parents yesterday. They called the school. They got the principal totally pissed off, and told him, "not to worry," because they won't let me go. They threatened me last night with having me arrested for running away and/or kidnapping on Daniel if I tried to go with Daniel.

So...we all got in a big fight...threw things, hit things, and called each other names. After a while, we calmed down and I gave them some damn good points about why I should be allowed to go and why it would be safe for me to go, which I fully believe it is. They said that they've reconsidered and now think it is pretty ok, as long as we run realllllly fast to my car after prom, which I was planning to do anyways.

Now, I have to meet with the principal tomorrow morning. I went to him today to see when he was free, and when I walked into his office he said(in a very pissed off tone), "I'm not ready to talk to you. Get out."

So...I'm confused.

Can the school bar me from going with my date?

Call the ACLU right now, the school is way over its head on this one.

Old 04-17-2002, 03:29 PM   #56
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:
Originally posted by peabody:
but I don't to "raise hell." i want to go to my prom with someone i will have fun with. that's it. not a statement about me being gay, not a statement about me being who i want to be. just i want to have a good times.

Sometimes the only way to get someone to back down is to have pressure on them. In this case it would be the media and the ACLU.

Old 04-17-2002, 03:31 PM   #57
MisterSquishyHalo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Meeks:
or you can just stop being so gay

You are a certifiable idiot.

Old 04-17-2002, 03:53 PM   #58
Crippler

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:

You are a certifiable idiot.
...yet still plausible, Otto.

But not bloody likey. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Old 04-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #59
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:
Call the ACLU right now, the school is way over its head on this one.

problem is he goes to a private school, and they are allowed to decide who he is allowed to bring to the prom.

------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

Old 04-17-2002, 05:04 PM   #60
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:
Originally posted by Injektilo:

problem is he goes to a private school, and they are allowed to decide who he is allowed to bring to the prom.

Yeah but if its a civil rights issue, it might supercede what rules that the school has.