Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #302
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's whussa matta you?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #303
null123
Minion of Satan

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...94081e7161d7ef
started this working from a model today, gonna keep working on this one I think. I haven't painted in a long time and never before with oils so it's a lot to juggle but I'm having a good time

Old 10-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #304
Cool As Ice Cream

nice

Old 10-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #305
yo soy el mejor

i have the brains of an artist but not the talent -jacques cousteau

Old 10-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #306
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Last night D. had the honour of being the first netphorian to make an IRL appearance in one of my dreams! You brought your family down under for whatever reason and I showed you guys around Fremantle (where I haven't lived for 2+ years) but instead of having a daughter who was young you had a teenage son who looked like you but with midget proportions and long hair. He was basically just fucking shit up everywhere I took you guys to the point where you were like "fuck this" and chained him to bike rack and we went to the pub and then I woke up.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #307
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...94081e7161d7ef
started this working from a model today, gonna keep working on this one I think. I haven't painted in a long time and never before with oils so it's a lot to juggle but I'm having a good time
This shows heaps of skill...art school is clearly worth it! How far off graduating are you?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #308
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

vixnix don't be a dick.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #309
hnibos
Braindead

She's probably jealous because she doesn't do anything she enjoys in life.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #310
null123
Minion of Satan

How was she being a dick? I'm about 2 years from graduation if I don't take any terms off

Last edited by null123 : 10-04-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #311
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I was just pretending she was being sarcastic. I know she wasn't but you could read it this way. I thin the painting is good. I respect people who can draw and paint more than any other type of art because it's probably the only type of art i can't even reach child level skill at. It is a skill alien to me.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #312
Order 66
Socialphobic

skill aliens are the scariest

Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #313
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I disagree. Equivalent to though? Probably.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #314
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
the hair is my favorite part

Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #315
null123
Minion of Satan

Thanks. It's easier when the model already has an interesting Look

Old 10-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #316
noyen
Immortal

he looks like basquiat. faked his death and is modelling.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #317
null123
Minion of Satan

ikr

Old 10-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #318
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I was just pretending she was being sarcastic.
Considering the fact that its vix, it was probabky sarcasm

Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #319
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I wasn't being sarcastic - I spent ages looking at all the blending of shades and colours. I think there's a lot of technical knowledge and practice visible... It's encouraging that students have a place to go to learn how to paint. 2 years off graduating means there is still a lot to learn...is it considered a good school? It seems like you're going to get a lot out of it.

I know someone who paints (has exhibitions, sells, etc.) but he was never trained as far as I know. He has an MA in history and painting was originally a hobby, but it has become his full time occupation. But his painting is highly stylized if that makes sense - he pretty much only does buildings and cityscapes... I don't know if he could paint something like this. It seems like developing versatility is a big advantage of going to art school - it's so similar to music in that sense - school helps you commercially in one way because you can be flexible...but do you feel like your own voice/style is a bit stifled there, or are they good at developing it? I definitely lost my ability for self expression by studying musical composition - it doesn't happen to everyone! My husband studied audio engineering with the aim of better recording his own stuff and his band's stuff, and list all drive to write music because when he's involved in making it all he can really think about now is sound quality.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #320
null123
Minion of Satan

Yeah I'm just now starting my painting education at this school so hopefully I'll be a lot better at the end. It is considered a good school. It's probably the best "commercial" art school in the country.

School definitely doesn't let you just chill in your comfort zone. You can fake a lot of people into thinking you know what you're doing if you just practice drawing anime girls or cars 24/7. I guess if that's all you ever wanna do then it's fine but it's funny how you'll see the quality nose dive as soon as someone tries to branch out at all. This particular school has a specific method for its entertainment artists to learn to work and there is this specific ethos and aesthetic that can be pervasive. I have my own ideas though so I don't really have to worry about falling into it although you do wanna incorporate it.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #321
vixnix
Socialphobic

Having your own firm ideas and ambitions before you go to a creative arts school must help I reckon. I found it really difficult to just write, after having learned about sonata form, motifs, cadences, blah blah...I felt like I wasn't really writing unless I had a stave with notes on it. So all of my songs were stunted and repetitive because improvising just overwhelms me. I actually had to but a book called 'how to improvise' or something like that because I can't shake the feeling of wanting to know how to do things 'correctly'. But I started classical piano at 7, so have been more or less indoctrinated for a long time. I know do many other amateur musicians in my situation, it's sad...

Interesting that there is a separate stream for entertainment artists...are you looking at more commercial goals for yourself or are you hoping to go down the fine arts/totally creative road?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #322
null123
Minion of Satan

I wanna be a video game artist but maybe I won't since my game designer brother and I aren't talking anymore

I used to want to be a gallery artist but then I realized that would make me insane(r)

Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #323
null123
Minion of Satan

What would happen if you just forced yourself to improvise? I'm not musically inclined so I might just not understand

Old 10-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #324
vixnix
Socialphobic

I just think of everything too structurally at the piano - any two notes I play, I hear an interval and see a key or a scale, rather than just hearing sounds. And all intervals, keys, scales etc., have associations for me - with other musical works, exercises I did in class with other students, something I had trouble learning, something one of my teachers said, something a choir director said about a composer, etc.

It's hard to clear my mind of all that. I tend to stick to the really sickly sweet, happy, clean sounding stuff I like, but I can never write good enough lyrics for those kinds of songs, so they just end up sounding like a poor imitation of a Burt Bacharach song.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #325
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

This is kinda like why i was always wary of theory. Of course that doesn't mean that without any you don't ever fall into patterns. Cause i definitely do. My knowledge of theory is pretty much inexistent though, to an embarrassing level...like... not only i can't read music but i don't even know my notes on the neck... I know my open strings.... that's it. Ask me any note/chord i'm playing otherwise, i have no idea.

Although..of course its a bit bullshit to say i know no theory, i mean, i do know stuff i just don't know what to call it. I understand the concept of a scale or key but i don't know any by name but obviously i can play some. And hmm... I know what an octave or step or half step is..basic beginner stuff.

My gf had the bad idea to ask me to help her get better on guitar (she knows basic chords) but she doesn't trust herself so basically she has to know theory so she'll be asking ok well what that's chord you're playing and of course i don't know and she ask well how do you know that works, that it sounds good and i'm like well...because at some point i figured out if i put my fingers here here and here and there it sounded good...as dumb as that sounds. my approach to music since the beginning was always..there's nothing i can't learn through experimentation but the problem is since i never learned anything properly i can't really teach anything in a proper way and it drives her mad. While i know that trying to learn it properly myself would have driven ME mad (i'm terrible at learning through structure) and probably caused to quit.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #326
Elphenor
Braindead

Wait, you don't know any chords?

Edit: I mean by name

Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #327
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

no

Old 10-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #328
Elphenor
Braindead

That's trippy. I thought everyone started out by learning A-G at least.

I wonder how long it would have taken me to figure those out naturally

Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #329
vixnix
Socialphobic

One of my favourite unknown songwriters learned like that...I really envied him for a long time. I've made peace with my musical background because it does mean that I can teach and play and I'm versatile - that's the benefit of formal instruction like I was saying to Charmbag...I play a lot at church and if we have to transpose or repeat a verse unexpectedly or change something I find all of that very easy... And any DAG song I can kinda nut out on a guitar, not studio quality obviously!! But good enough for around the campfire, or with the kids, like nursery rhymes and stuff - that's pretty cool. My son is about to sit grade 1 trombone and being able to help him with his scales and arpeggios and pieces - because I can read music and had to master all of those things myself... There are some rewards in that. But it does suck to be kind of incarcerated by it when I try to write. It's kind of a self confidence issue I guess, I don't feel like I've got any ideas that are new or good enough to warrant expression. Probably a natural instinct haha.

It takes a rare genius to write from behind the piano I reckon, when it happens it tends to be magical - I am always thrilled with what little I get out of it, but someone like Warren Zevon or Rachmaninov or Beethoven... Theolonius Monk, Tori Amos, Joanna Newsom... It's a sort of cosmos event, just the right circumstances and just the right person.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #330
Elphenor
Braindead

I've always felt with guitar at least that what notes or chords you play actually matters a lot less than how you play them. Like strumming patterns and which notes you put a heavier emphasis on. And the time you put between notes. I've heard the expression "Playing the pauses"

I imagine it's similar on piano?

I know nothing about music theory though, so I bet there's actual terms for what I'm describing