Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #211
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

but it says dont touch.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #212
noyen
Immortal

what does the little plaque say? can you explain what it is over the internet or do you have to be there on mescaline? it looks cool. i too, want to touch it. specifically, tug that rope.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #213
null123
Minion of Satan

The plaque doesn't explain much, it just says my name, my major and term (Illustration 2nd term), the instructor and class (Design 2) and the assignment (translate the design principal of "figure and ground" to a dimensional form). Oddly it doesn't mention the materials but those are plaster and rope.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #214
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
The plaque doesn't explain much, it just says my name, my major and term (Illustration 2nd term), the instructor and class (Design 2) and the assignment (translate the design principal of "figure and ground" to a dimensional form). Oddly it doesn't mention the materials but those are plaster and rope.
cool...did you have a concept in mind? architecture? abstract statement? or just use of materials..? it looks cool. i would have never guessed plaster. i thought it was styrofoam. congrats on your inclusion in a gallery. i have yet to be included in a gallery, but that's something huge i want to achieve one day. to even just have one painting of mine in a gallery or better yet, an entire gallery of just my work. i suck though.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #215
Order 66
Socialphobic

i think the rope on the right hand side is a phallus (srs)

Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #216
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

I think DO NOT TOUCH is part of the installation, playing with how we want to do the thing that we are told not to do

Old 09-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #217
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yes, i was thinking that too for a minute. but then i changed my mind.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #218
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
cool...did you have a concept in mind? architecture? abstract statement? or just use of materials..? it looks cool. i would have never guessed plaster. i thought it was styrofoam. congrats on your inclusion in a gallery. i have yet to be included in a gallery, but that's something huge i want to achieve one day. to even just have one painting of mine in a gallery or better yet, an entire gallery of just my work. i suck though.
I actually made the mockup out of styrofoam so that's funny you say that. During the process of making it I was mostly consciously aware of its formal properties and trying to make an elegant object using what I know about sculpture and good design in general. The assignment for me was "figure and ground" which basically meant integrating two elements (the rope and plaster) such that neither one overpowered the other. But my personal taste in materials and way of executing this concept definitely pushed the piece into a more emotional territory for me.

When I look at it now, especially in contrast to all of the other work in the gallery and that other people did for the final, I see it as a response to the intense anxiety I was feeling at the time and that I tend to feel in general. It's like the sculptural equivalent of a security blanket to me. "Architectural" is a quality that always seems to come up when I make sculpture even though I don't do it intentionally, I think there is something about the grace and order and high-mindedness of architecture that is so attractive to me, I can't get away from it. The tactile nature of this piece was also important to me, even though people can't touch it it seems to come across. Especially if you see it in person or in a clearer photo, there is a subtly different surface to many of the faces of the blocks, it has a softness and "humanness" to it that I think is unique to plaster which is why it's one of my favorite thing to work with. I also really wanted to have an actually soft, fabric-type element to take it that much further out of the realm of the hard-edged, laser cut, acrylic, 3d printed, speedform, vector etc type stuff that tends to be popular at my school. I see this object as stable, soft, approachable yet (hopefully) elegant, and quiet.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #219
null123
Minion of Satan

And you shouldn't feel so discouraged about getting into a gallery. I mean this gallery is in my school so obviously I already had a big "in" there. If you want to show work in a gallery there are many ways to go about doing so, I'm always getting notices about upcoming shows that they want artists to submit work to that fits a particular theme, so you should tap into the local channels that provide that information. You could also get together with a couple other artists and rent a space for a group show. Solo shows are obviously the longterm goal for gallery artists but I think generally you have to work your way up to that unless you're independently wealthy and can snap your fingers and make it so. But just getting a piece in a gallery is very doable.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #220
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I see why you say that but I think it's just a bad angle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I think DO NOT TOUCH is part of the installation, playing with how we want to do the thing that we are told not to do
I did not have any hand in the placards but I do like that

Old 09-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #221
Trotskilicious
Banned

i did think it looked like a building, a headquarters or a research campus when i first looked at it.

was the placement of the rope considered, the way it takes up space down the table

Old 09-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #222
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post

http://i.imgur.com/2u7IshU.jpg

Old 09-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #223
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i did think it looked like a building, a headquarters or a research campus when i first looked at it.

was the placement of the rope considered, the way it takes up space down the table
The rope placement wasn't that planned, I kinda decided along the way where it would be. It wasn't included in the mockup so I was just seeing how it all looked after each step and what to do next. I like how it doubles the real estate the whole thing gets on the pedestal

Old 09-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #224
slunken
Virgo

i always hated being in gallery shows because on one hand i want to talk to people about my work but i don't want to linger eagerly making eye contact with every person that comes by and on the other hand i don't want to be talking with my friends all night to where it creates a situation where most people would not bother intruding.

my solution was eventually to stand outside smoking cigarettes all night and coming back in for drinks and snacks

Old 09-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #225
slunken
Virgo

it's a really fine line between looking like an attention-seeking jagoff or acting like you couldn't care less i don't think i could ever balance that or i was too aware of it or something

Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #226
slunken
Virgo

i like the sculpture though i've always been a sucker for plastered or painted rope w/ wood

idk if you got any sort of good feedback but i would say if you wanted to continue working with rope start looking up cool ways to tie knots and that sort of thing.

edit: or even exotic rope-binding techniques - the way the rope is made etc

Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #227
null123
Minion of Satan

That is a good idea. I actually looked into a lot of knots and decided to keep it simple, I think these knots are called "blood knots" which is cool. Unfortunately I don't know when the next time will be that I have a chance to focus on sculpture.

And yeah talking about art is so fun, idk I can never shut up. It makes me want to consider teaching after I graduate... I think I might be better at talking about art than making it.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #228
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I think I might be better at talking about art than making it.
ugh srs

Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #229
null123
Minion of Satan

I dunno why I choose to do this thing that is difficult to the point that it's borderline not enjoyable and that is not even one of my top 3 strengths and yet

Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #230
noyen
Immortal

i just want to sell paintings. i'm tired of them going away for free or trading for odd shit i can't use. or people just plain asking me to do something for them with no thought of i'd like to get paid motherfucka. i think in a gallery or showing i could sell some stuff fairly easily. i'll have to hook up with my hook ups and coffee shops and shit.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #231
Order 66
Socialphobic

i'd hook up with a bunch of dudes. shirtless dudes

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #232
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I dunno why I choose to do this thing that is difficult to the point that it's borderline not enjoyable and that is not even one of my top 3 strengths and yet
Writing is one of my top three and its so unenjoyabke that i have horible block so i doff my cap to your persitance

Old 09-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #233
slunken
Virgo

I ate an entire rack of ribs in one sitting yesterday

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #234
slunken
Virgo

staind was the wavves of the 90s

Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #235
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I ate an entire rack of ribs in one sitting yesterday
bfd

Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #236
Order 66
Socialphobic

i've beem listening to a lot of staind lately. i put on the pandora station but it suuckd so i put on a station based on pumpkins' Bodies and it led to a self fulfilling prophecy... a 32 year old man jamming out to seether, breaking benjamin and three days grace in his honda civic

Old 09-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #237
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...c17n-1-web.jpg

Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #238
Mo
Immortal

That's actually a nice book for children. Better than the Christian alternative, I'm sure.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #239
fuzzyroes
Banned

Satanisms alright. It has its merits.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #240
Trotskilicious
Banned