Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #151
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
well I respect everybody's right to their opinion, but it'd be nice of you to elaborate what is wrong. I presume you like 10K days, but how is it more of a musical progression from Lateralus than Lateralus is from Aenima?

I love all Tool albums, don't get me wrong, but I never thought they'd get into the rut of making albums that sound like the previous one. I always enjoyed the fact that they didn't shy away from changing and letting their sound evolve, I believe they themselves have asserted that kind of approach to their writing.
When they released 10K days I feared that they were getting into that teritorry of repetition and recycling, but it wasn't a bad album at all. I liked it, I just grew tired of it more over the years.

I've always kind of cringed at the thought of them releasing something that's just a total safe bet, makes me think of bands like Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam who've been doing that for decades.

But if you're fine with that, well that's great for you. I'm just saying how I feel about this album and whole direction they're going. It's definitely better for them to not experiment at this stage of their career, I'm just a bit sad about it.
I just meant that the title track is great.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #152
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

After going to three different record stores this weekend and finding the new Tool album was sold out at each place, I think I finally was able to admit to myself that I don't care that much about a new Tool album.

Wake me up when we get more Trail of Dead tho.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #153
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
lateralus is an artistic progress from aenima and that's what makes a lot of difference. they developed in terms of songwriting and playing between those albums, something that didn't quite happen on 10k days and this one.
10k days is, aside from 2-3 songs, uninventive and repetitive as hell.
i agree with this

Old 09-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #154
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Yep.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #155
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

listened to it about five times across the last several days

my expectations were pretty low going in, so i am reasonably satisfied but not really impressed or happy. (slightly exceeds my low expectations) there are a few moments which are interesting / unexpected, and the rest of it is really paint-by-numbers.

as a point of comparison, i haven't liked anything old man bill corgan has released in quite some time, like.. almost the same amount of time as tool. and i'm the last guy to defend bill. but you gotta give him credit for not repeating the same sound over and over. he's always attempting to find new sonic ground (even if it sucks). whereas tool keeps retreating the same thing album after album. aenema and lateralus were just really amazing, meaningful albums for me and sounded really unique: the bass sound in particular, and the riffs, etc. but here we are 17 years after lateralus and it's more of the same. if you're into that, then i guess this album probably rules for you.

Fear Inoculum -- said what i wanted to say earlier in the thread. ends up being one of the better songs for me in the end

Pneuma -- it sounds like all tool songs. it's a good sound, they definitely created their sound, they can use it as much as they want. but this is probably the most formulaic one on the album. confirms my agreement with my friend's previously described description of the band squatting over a mirror and staring into its own butthole. also the song lengths across the album in general... staring up your own a-hole for 10-15 minutes per song, that really kind of says it for me. the guitar notes from about... 47 seconds left in the song to like 34 seconds in the song are unexpectedly melodic.

Litanie contre le Puer -- anyone here have the app Bebot? i was listening to the album on headphones the other night and woke up my wife because i was laughing at this. i love the Bebot app. but i wasn't expecting to hear the same sounds i make when dragging my finger haphazardly across my iphone on a tool album. it's just a little musical interlude so no biggie. #bebot4life

Invincible -- i didn't watch the youtube videos of when they first played this song live simply because i wanted my first impression to be the studio version. i think it's pretty good overall, albeit too long. the intro guitar thing made me roll my eyes. same old stuff. but overall the song is substantial. now, that whole theme about "struggling to remain relevant" seems to preoccupy a large share of maynard's mind lately, yeah? in podcasts and interviews (w/ lars ulrich in 2018, with joe rogan in 2019, some other thing i saw on youtube, etc.), and this song, he keeps repeating it. actually makes the song less enjoyable for me, who cares dude. there's a moment in there where the riffs hit kind of like on Eulogy. that part around 8:30 when the vocals sounds a little like imogen heap is kinda cool. i dig the super repetitive meathead riff section that lasts for a several minutes before the last two minutes of the song, starts at like 9:30. give the people what they want i guess

Legion Inoculant -- seems fine for a little interlude

Descending -- same as Invincible, have avoided listening until the album was out. vocals in the beginning a little bit different for tool, but not really any different from a perfect circle. repetitive guitar stuff again. not really mad at it, but kind of bland. if i'd never heard a tool album before, i'd probably like it a lot. picks up in intensity midway through. annoying guitar solo.

Culling Voices -- i dunno, kinda boring. wasn't expecting to hear the word "psychopathy" this many times in a song. the whole "don't you dare point that at me" bit was kind of like a sad coda to Hooker With A Penis. just kinda prompts the memory of how they can sound when serving up white hot anger. this is not that

Chocolate Chip Trip -- my first take on this song was a little saltier, but after a few times through the album i've reconsidered and now it seems on par with the other instrumental interludes. not that remarkable, no emotion to it, but whatever, nothing to be salty about

7empest -- standout song which i believe would really benefit from being shorter. probably my favorite part on the album is when adam plays that superspeed part of the riff at 7:45 or so. that was unexpected and sounds really cool. they lose me starting at 5:40, that guitar wankery just derails it for me and i lose interest until 7:45 when it gets rad for a bit (and then boring pretty quickly again for a bit). i gotta say though: listen to The Patient starting at 0:57 and this song starting at 13:27. give me a fucking break haha! c'mon dudes. and i can't say the main refrain toward the end really means much to me. "a tempest must be just that". uh.. ok.

Mockingbeat -- little interlude but a strange way to end an album. the interludes work as sections to break up the songs but in this case i don't get it, i'd just close with the 7empest. tacking on a weird little thing at the end is another example of one of the issues here, excess

so its 6 actual songs plus some quick interludes for a total runtime of an hour and a half. yikes. it's too easy to just tune out and disengage

in summary:
Vocals: same old same old except less bite and i don't connect with the lyrics
Guitar: 95% same old same old, pretty cool but not much new. 5% more extreme version of same old, kinda cool. at least the production is nice and clear
Bass: same old, same old, which is generally quite awesome. seriously makes their whole sound for me
Drums: same old, same old, which is to say excellent though i don't really listen for the drums

i don't really feel much emotion in it. it's kind of like.. when netflix brought back Arrested Development. ah, the gang's back together, doing the same stuff... but like.. we've all changed since the last time and it feels like the magic is not really there anymore

in the end, despite trying to come at it with low expectations, i was still a bit like Agent Mulder in X-Files, in my case "i want to care". but in the end after multiple listens through, i just don't.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #156
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

they lost me with 10,000 days. only song i liked was rosetta stoned. i don't think i'm going to check this new stuff out.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:56 AM   #157
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

yeah, it'd be a shame if you wasted all that hard-earned temporary hard-drive space

Old 09-04-2019, 02:10 AM   #158
Elphenor
Braindead

Bummed is a rad album

Old 09-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #159
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
yeah, it'd be a shame if you wasted all that hard-earned temporary hard-drive space

Old 09-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #160
FoolofaTook

la dee da

Last edited by FoolofaTook : 09-04-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #161
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

it does when i'm using it to describe the space

dumbass

Old 09-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #162
FoolofaTook

i have no idea what you are talking about. are you ok?

Last edited by FoolofaTook : 09-04-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #163
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
7empest -- standout song which i believe would really benefit from being shorter. probably my favorite part on the album is when adam plays that superspeed part of the riff at 7:45 or so. that was unexpected and sounds really cool. they lose me starting at 5:40, that guitar wankery just derails it for me and i lose interest until 7:45 when it gets rad for a bit (and then boring pretty quickly again for a bit). i gotta say though: listen to The Patient starting at 0:57 and this song starting at 13:27. give me a fucking break haha! c'mon dudes. and i can't say the main refrain toward the end really means much to me. "a tempest must be just that". uh.. ok.
I'd say that this solo part, along with that riff you mentioned really makes the song shine:

and also, as overused as it is in metal, I really like the sort of djent breakdown that happens around 10:30, maybe just because it finally lifts the tempo of the song up again

Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #164
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Tool of a Fook

Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #165
Eulogy
huh

They released more of the cds so I got one. They were on eBay for $120-$170 yesterday.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #166
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Well the ticket on sale was an absolute fucking joke

Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #167
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Literally not surprised. I’ll get tickets eventually

Old 09-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #168
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Yeah but what can realistically be done when demand will always outpace supply.

Prices will come down closer to the show (although last time they stayed pretty pricey)

Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #169
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

"Fear Inoculum" is mostly remarkable for how little the group has evolved since 1992. Heavy on the toms and tricky time-signatures that lend the music an air of undue sophistication with ample amounts of distorted Guitar Center crunch. There are Tabla rhythms that suggest the farthest east one has traveled is Side Two of "Physical Graffiti." There are high school poetry contest lyrics such as "weave my allegorical elegy" and the creepy, hypermasculine whisper that ends in a yell. The emotional range covers everything from sad-boy schtick to abusive boyfriend all in the same song. A crowd attempting to dance to their nearly un-danceable music at Burning Man is almost too perfect of a promotional event for the new record.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #170
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
"Fear Inoculum" is mostly remarkable for how little the group has evolved since 1992. Heavy on the toms and tricky time-signatures that lend the music an air of undue sophistication with ample amounts of distorted Guitar Center crunch. There are Tabla rhythms that suggest the farthest east one has traveled is Side Two of "Physical Graffiti." There are high school poetry contest lyrics such as "weave my allegorical elegy" and the creepy, hypermasculine whisper that ends in a yell. The emotional range covers everything from sad-boy schtick to abusive boyfriend all in the same song. A crowd attempting to dance to their nearly un-danceable music at Burning Man is almost too perfect of a promotional event for the new record.
Wow so edgy. Maybe one day your balls will drop.

Lol you went on the Oceania cruise, didn’t you?

Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #171
Eulogy
huh

I listened to undertow twice this weekend and to claim there has been no growth since then is uhm. Misguided

Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #172
Eulogy
huh

If you wanna argue they haven’t grown since 10,000 days I’d entertain it. But from undertow? Very silly.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #173
Eulogy
huh

Like was that your attempt at getting a freelance spot at pitchfork circa 2004

Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #174
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

more like his move to stay with NBC

Old 09-10-2019, 04:20 AM   #175
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Wow so edgy. Maybe one day your balls will drop.

Lol you went on the Oceania cruise, didn’t you?
someone doesn't like the album, let's be a total baby about it

Old 09-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #176
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
someone doesn't like the album, let's be a total baby about it
There’s a difference between not liking it and being a total pretentious asshole about it

Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #177
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

take it up with Mosley!

Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #178
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I don’t know what’s worse pretentious Tool fans or pretentious Tool haters

Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #179
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

The biggest Tool fan at my high school was this super-nerd who liked setting things on fire and building small explosives, got incredibly jacked one summer lifting weights, and got arrested for firing a shotgun into the air during an argument with his little brother

Old 09-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #180
FoolofaTook