Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #121
gossamer1234
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trashbirds
For the lazy:

#2 in America.
So what went #1?

Also, how many album sales were fanboys and fangirls buying a second or third copy? There should be an adjusted figure.
i imagine ti remained #1.

and an adjusted figure? why are you rooting against them? and they can't adjust, there's no way to figure it out. and album sold is an album sold. don't matter to who.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #122
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

I have a feeling there will be a big drop off in the second week.

I can see by the Amazon sales alone its already dying down considerably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #123
jasminetea
Pledge

hmmm that's shame!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003613204

Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #124
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Pakula

You may be right about the 2nd week, but it's still #4 on Amazon.

Itunes its #11 though.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #125
aquila
Oblivious Virgin

Ah, T.I... I could have seen him for free, and I'm glad I didn't:

The funny thing about this concert is that the reaction of most Cornell students was "wtf? texas instruments?"

Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #126
Martyr
m o n o c h r o m e

from Billboard

Quote:
The effort sold 145,000 units and ties 1998's "Adore" as the second best charting album of the group's career.
that's not bad.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #127
gossamer1234
Pledge

Quote:

i'd guess it'll be #27 and then #46 and then...

Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #128
Martyr
m o n o c h r o m e

It could easily be top ten next week.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #129
gash
Pledge

What a load of shite that is.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #130
gash
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila
Ah, T.I... I could have seen him for free, and I'm glad I didn't:

The funny thing about this concert is that the reaction of most Cornell students was "wtf? texas instruments?"

what a load of shite!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #131
paranoid
Minion of Satan

wow.. record sales in general for everyone are doing terrible. I remember when selling 50,000 copies landed an artist at #20.. now it's a top ten number? holy shit.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #132
The Trashbirds
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolia
Ugh, it's called 'album sales', not how many people bought the album.
Do you adjust movie boxoffice number for fans watching second or third time too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer1234
and an adjusted figure? why are you rooting against them? and they can't adjust, there's no way to figure it out. and album sold is an album sold. don't matter to who.
It - was - a - joke.

I was merely pointing out that the album sales numbers can be a bit misleading as a statistic indicating popularity. Obviously you couldn't adjust the numbers even if you wanted to.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #133
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid
wow.. record sales in general for everyone are doing terrible. I remember when selling 50,000 copies landed an artist at #20.. now it's a top ten number? holy shit.
People in general just don't buy that many cds any more. Blame the internet and illegal downloading if you want but the truth is the CD is over 20 years old now, they need a better product. The movie industry moved to DVDs providing a superior quality product over VHS. If the record company had done something similar offering a new format that was vastly superior in audio quality then I think more people would be willing to buy it. Even with legal online sales the quality of format is somewhat crappy just barely on par with CDs. Give me a legal high quality product and I'd be more willing to pay, otherwise who cares.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #134
The Trashbirds
Ownz

Quote:
People in general just don't buy that many cds any more. Blame the internet and illegal downloading if you want but the truth is the CD is over 20 years old now, they need a better product. The movie industry moved to DVDs providing a superior quality product over VHS. If the record company had done something similar offering a new format that was vastly superior in audio quality then I think more people would be willing to buy it. Even with legal online sales the quality of format is somewhat crappy just barely on par with CDs. Give me a legal high quality product and I'd be more willing to pay, otherwise who cares.
Record stores are fucked. Even with the development of a product with improved sound quality (eg. music DVD), the future of music is digital. The internet is the future of music sales (iTunes, etc.).

Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #135
paranoid
Minion of Satan

there are talks amongst the labels to write up digital release only contracts with artists..

Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #136
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

ti is awesome.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #137
ratking17
Ownz

This is probably a question, I am not sure anyone knows. What is the profit financially from record sales these days? I mean, almost 150,000 records has got to net you something, but if this album goes Gold, I would say that is a sucess. From a musicians standpoint, where is the money made? Touring?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #138
Martyr
m o n o c h r o m e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratking17
This is probably a question, I am not sure anyone knows. What is the profit financially from record sales these days? I mean, almost 150,000 records has got to net you something, but if this album goes Gold, I would say that is a sucess. From a musicians standpoint, where is the money made? Touring?

nowadays mainly touring.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #139
paranoid
Minion of Satan

the industry standard: Artists make $.84 cents per record sold.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #140
The Trashbirds
Ownz

$.84 x 145,000 = $121,800

Someone should've pointed these numbers out to the ass clowns who keep insisting that Billy Corgan is trying to make loads of money off of us multiple releases.

If, in your best selling week, you make $121,800 total dollars, then you aren't making all that much. I mean, if you made that every week, you'd be a fucking bazillionaire, but still.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #141
n-abounds
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Well there is more difficulty in switching because there are many times more cd players than dvd players (cars, home, discmans, etc), so it is harder to switch to a new standard.

Also, I don't know why you'd want this. Record companies are dying to make things so that there can be no piracy. They'd be so locked down, they probably wouldn't even play in every "new cd" player that you own.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #142
IEatMyFeces
Pledge

who cares, zeitgeist sucks anyways

Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #143
flavin
Ownz

Second place isn't bad.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #144
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Those are pretty bad numbers considering the 4 version ploy and the fact that it only doubled TFE's sales...

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #145
hummer26
Demi-God

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trashbirds
$.84 x 145,000 = $121,800

Someone should've pointed these numbers out to the ass clowns who keep insisting that Billy Corgan is trying to make loads of money off of us multiple releases.

If, in your best selling week, you make $121,800 total dollars, then you aren't making all that much. I mean, if you made that every week, you'd be a fucking bazillionaire, but still.
Billy is trying to make money....but who isnt....problem is the lack of quality and emotion in the new product ....or any product he has made over the last decade.

New album is necessary for buzz to promote touring...touring makes tons of money.

Billy Corgan - hahaha I cut starz off when it was just getting good HAHAH

Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #146
hummer26
Demi-God

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28
Those are pretty bad numbers considering the 4 version ploy and the fact that it only doubled TFE's sales...

I second....I have NEVER seen a pumpkins album so heavily marketed before. I am online a lot these days and through myspace....pumpkins stuff is everywhere. The spin cd....all the radio buzz. Anyway....its safe to say this album will not go platinum...maybe gold.

Billy Corgan - Theres clouds in my shower

Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #147
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

You make your money now by touring and merchandise.

145k is a good number for this day and age.

Those that thought this album was going to sell a million or more we're just kidding themselves.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #148
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

If Tool can sell 500k+ I would assume SP could sell at least 250k in the first week, but I'm sure the shittiness of the album coupled with horrid reviews had something to do with that

Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #149
ratking17
Ownz

so of that 121,000 the record made, how much goes into Billy/Jimmy's pockets assuming the rest of the band doesn't get record sales?

I guess my point it is kind of a question. How much money do bands make for doing tours? 121,000 is not much more than my household income, but yet you get the perception that bands make tons of money. Are even name brand musicians not able to make money in today's industry?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #150
daevil1
Demi-God

They need to release a new radio single ASAP.