Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #481
fuzzyroes
Banned

If Billy was smart, he'd release the final concert at the Metro from 2000 as an accompanying DVD along with the "unreleased" album of Machina 2... That would actually probably move a decent number of units. Anything less wouldn't be worth the effort.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 AM   #482
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

by the time this shit comes out, "units" won't even be a relevant term of measurement

Old 10-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #483
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

If and when the Machina box set comes out it will move maybe a thousand units or so. It's not going to be a big seller. Machina was a low selling album to begin with. He pretty much said it best himself about the album in this wiki blurb:

"Corgan, in 2008, summarized the failures of the album:

"I think the combination of the band breaking up during that record, D'arcy leaving the band... Korn was huge at the time, Limp Bizkit was huge at the time, so the album wasn't heavy enough. It wasn't alternative enough, it was sort of caught between the cracks. And it was a concept record, which nobody understood. So the combination of those elements was a career-killer... Adore didn't alienate the audience, they were just sort of like, 'Oh, it's not the record I want.' [Machina] alienated people.”

Old 10-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #484
thomas_bland
Ownz

Best guess, 'resequenced' double album will be released on Spotify (etc) 29/02/20 with preorder for £300+ box set direct from Zuzus announced then or a couple of weeks before... which will ship later.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #485
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Just popped in to see if this came out and flopped yet?

Old 10-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #486
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
If and when the Machina box set comes out it will move maybe a thousand units or so. It's not going to be a big seller. Machina was a low selling album to begin with. He pretty much said it best himself about the album in this wiki blurb:

"Corgan, in 2008, summarized the failures of the album:

"I think the combination of the band breaking up during that record, D'arcy leaving the band... Korn was huge at the time, Limp Bizkit was huge at the time, so the album wasn't heavy enough. It wasn't alternative enough, it was sort of caught between the cracks. And it was a concept record, which nobody understood. So the combination of those elements was a career-killer... Adore didn't alienate the audience, they were just sort of like, 'Oh, it's not the record I want.' [Machina] alienated people.”
Surprisingly accurate assessment, lightyears ahead of "nobody thought it was a 3-star record" at least. i'm glad it was this way though, Machina's relative "weirdness" is part of what makes it appealing as opposed to some attempt at a second wind of MCIS-level glory or what have you (which i suppose may have been actually the case if it came out as originally intended, but who knows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_bland View Post
Best guess, 'resequenced' double album will be released on Spotify (etc) 29/02/20 with preorder for £300+ box set direct from Zuzus announced then or a couple of weeks before... which will ship later.
not a bad guess, wouldn't be thrilled about a $300+ box but that's an agreeable release date at least!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #487
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy is like that one annoying ex-girlfriend who constantly and endlessly over-analyzes everything.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #488
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

My approach to Machina is to compile my favourite tracks from 1 and 2 and listen to that. And ignore the others.

Maybe a fully reconfigured album would do it a lot of favours. Macca did that with Red Rose Speedway, and I much prefer the double album version than what was actually released.

The sprawling nature of Machina suits a double album; it could've been a killer single album but they chose the wrong songs.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #489
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

It says a lot that Billy thinks Machina wasn’t heavy enough.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #490
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

That comment was coming from him in his "give the kids what they want/we surveyed the fans and this is what they asked for..." phase tho, so i'm not sure how much stock I can put in it

Old 10-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #491
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

About that Machina reissue...

Old 10-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #492
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Unhappy

Old 10-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #493
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

if only billy corgan would read netphoria for the advice fuzzyroes has for him

Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #494
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
About that Machina reissue...

So it's dead, then.

Also if there's no tour next year, why release as Vol 2 & 3 rather than an album?
Such a convoluted, pretentious way of releasing music.

And he's sat on a modest goldmine of tracks - if he just y'know... RELEASED THEM FOR SALE. Vinyl, bandcamp, anything.

We'll get a flood of box sets once anyone else is in charge of the rights.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #495
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

If Billy were smart, he would simply record songs that are good and that people actually like.. Gossamer, Chicago Kid songs?, etc and put them out as Volume 2.

But alas.. Billy is not smart, so it will be a bunch of Dorian and Seek and You Shall Destroy-type songs thrown together.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #496
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
So it's dead, then.

Also if there's no tour next year, why release as Vol 2 & 3 rather than an album?

And he's sat on a modest goldmine of tracks - if he just y'know... RELEASED THEM FOR SALE. Vinyl, bandcamp, anything.

We'll get a flood of box sets once anyone else is in charge of the rights.
Even Bandcamp allows artists to Kickstart their own vinyl projects. Billy could easily share music through there and do small vinyl runs. With Bandcamp, you set your minimum amount and if it goes over, they'll still press it all. He is big enough of an artist to do things on his own. Trent Reznor does this. Even Radiohead handle things more on their own.

Electronic producer Amon Tobin is utilizing Bandcamp amazingly. He has been revealing several different aliases he's created all under his new label Nomark. You can buy a yearlong pass for $60 that let's you download every single release as well as bonus material. If you come in later in the year, you get everything that has been previously released since the start of the year. This began in September and he's already put out 3 albums, a few singles, and a bonus member EP with more aliases having album releases coming up. Each album has its own vinyl Kickstarter thru Bandcamp. He is doing something unique with Bandcamp and it seems to be working. Oh, and downloads are in hi-res.

Meanwhile, Billy is waiting on major labels to fund his projects.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #497
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Meanwhile, Billy is waiting on major labels to fund his projects.
I’m guessing he thinks he’s owed 1995 money too.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #498
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
So it's dead, then.

He's addressed this. He thinks people have a shorter attention span than they used to, so he feels like smaller releases released more often will generate more appreciation.

Seems to me that it's kind of dumb how he always caters to what he thinks joe-public wants rather than just putting out something that he's personally proud of. But as we know, this fame seeking mindset is nothing new for Billy Corgan. C'est la vie

Old 10-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #499
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
smaller releases released more often will generate more appreciation.
yet the "more often" isn't happening either.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #500
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Wasn’t a whole shitload of unreleased music supposed to be released in 2019? I vaguely remember him stating on IG that announcement in late in 2018...like two new albums, so much unreleased stuff it would blow our minds, etc

Old 10-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #501
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Also on Instagram just now he once again stated that a “friend of his says that this solo album might be one of the best things he’s ever made...” which is basically, you know, the kiss of death...albums gonna suck.

FYI for the newbies...he has said that same exact statement prior to all his worst endeavors...

Old 10-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #502
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Also on Instagram just now he once again stated that a “friend of his says that this solo album might be one of the best things he’s ever made...” which is basically, you know, the kiss of death...albums gonna suck.

FYI for the newbies...he has said that same exact statement prior to all his worst endeavors...
I assume the guy just hangs out with a bunch of sycophants. Can you imagine being a buddy of Billy's and have him show you his new music and giving an honest opinion? Imagine saying "hmmm, I'm not really digging it, I don't think the songwriting is very strong". That would be the end of that relationship

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 10-20-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #503
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
yet the "more often" isn't happening either.
That's the thing about it. I think the guy's having big problems with writing songs, so even though the material takes ages to get released, he probably has to conserve what material he does have. I assume that's why the reunion album had songs from the scrapped 2nd volume of what was supposed to be the Monuments series.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #504
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Wasn’t a whole shitload of unreleased music supposed to be released in 2019? I vaguely remember him stating on IG that announcement in late in 2018...like two new albums, so much unreleased stuff it would blow our minds, etc
Hard to recall, I feel like he gives that spiel every year

It's odd. I almost think he does it to try and light a fire under his ass, but then it never ends up working.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 AM   #505
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
He's releasing his solo album in November, which is a double LP (17 songs). Then Vol 2 and Vol 3 will be released next year, which is another double album (23 songs at the moment). Apparently, the band won't tour next year.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #506
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
He's releasing his solo album in November, which is a double LP (17 songs). Then Vol 2 and Vol 3 will be released next year, which is another double album (23 songs at the moment). Apparently, the band won't tour next year.
He was referring to unreleased older material. Not new material.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #507
T&T
Socialphobic

what's the release date for the solo album???

i don't think the problem is the songwriting, but the production & studio. he's too hung up on writing hits... it's no his strong suit anyways. just put out albums. make them all double albums, triple albums. overload us with material.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #508
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
what's the release date for the solo album???.
He’s waiting for a week when no other artist puts anything out so ‘WPC - Hits for the Kids’ will debut at #1.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #509
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

In his Instagram stories he keeps saying it'll likely be out before the tour starts, and the first date is, what, beginning of November? So like any day now if things don't inevitably fall through.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #510
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

It's up!