Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

View Poll Results: Rate that CYR!
0 - total garbage, unlistenable, couldn’t make it through a single listen 7 8.97%
1 - this is technically music, but you don’t like anything about it 4 5.13%
2 - some of the worst music you’ve ever heard, you won’t ever listen to it again 6 7.69%
3 - pretty bad album, but at least it has purple blood 9 11.54%
4 - Worse than average, you listened to the whole thing but have no desire to do it again 15 19.23%
5 - Completely neutral, you neither love nor loathe this sound 10 12.82%
6 - Better than average, but only a few songs you’ll be returning to 8 10.26%
7 - Super duper album but you won’t be pulling it out unless you are particularly in the mood for it 9 11.54%
8 - great album marred by a few missteps or idiosyncrasies. You will keep listening regularly 7 8.97%
9 - fantastic album, u will get married or renew your vows to it one day 1 1.28%
10 - complete success, on par with golden era SP 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #151
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Don’t believe ive seen this, hoping for a couple songs
If I was looking for max album sales I would go with a song like Save your tears and or Anno Satano. But knowing Billy my guess is Ramona and or Cyr

Old 11-30-2020, 11:53 PM   #152
Ram27
dumb

the truly frustrating thing is how these songs always end up being pretty good live

Old 11-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #153
Ram27
dumb

is this a bullshit covid prerecorded thing?

Old 12-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #154
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
is this a bullshit covid prerecorded thing?
It's gotta be right? I'm out of the loop I don't watched much regular tv. There's no way it's live though, considering the covid.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #155
YA5H
Demi-God

It tomorrow 12/1 I don't know why I thought it was tonight.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #156
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Here’s my tracklist rn:

Color Love
Dopamine
Wrath
Ah no Santana
Birch Grove
Starrcraff
Purp Bloods
Save Tears
Black Hill Forests
Telegenics

Glides right by, flows ok

Almost kept wyttch but it’s just too silly. It’s ok but more like a novelty song when what im into on this one is the wintry synths and the pain. Same reason Cyr is cut: too cartoony

Telegenics is strong but i don’t understand its placement on the tracklist, feels much better to me as a fine/stark closer to a downer of a synthbath. Whereas where it is on the tracklist it sorta interrupts the proceedings with a plodder of a smoke break of a goodbye song

Old 12-01-2020, 12:58 AM   #157
Ram27
dumb

listening trough this fucking slop. full track bitching up soon.

the swoon section of save your tears is the closest thing to joy i've felt listening to corgan's music in years

Old 12-01-2020, 01:01 AM   #158
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Here’s my tracklist rn:

Color Love
Dopamine
Wrath
Ah no Santana
Birch Grove
Starrcraff
Purp Bloods
Save Tears
Black Hill Forests
Telegenics

Glides right by, flows ok

Almost kept wyttch but it’s just too silly. It’s ok but more like a novelty song when what im into on this one is the wintry synths and the pain. Same reason Cyr is cut: too cartoony

Telegenics is strong but i don’t understand its placement on the tracklist, feels much better to me as a fine/stark closer to a downer of a synthbath. Whereas where it is on the tracklist it sorta interrupts the proceedings with a plodder of a smoke break of a goodbye song
Well Hot Dog ain't that one heck of a CYR tracklist my man! I'm happy to see Dopamine on there, I love that song! Corgan really goes deep down in the trenches for that one! I also agree with Wyttch not being a good fit as well as cyr.

Last edited by YA5H : 12-01-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:38 AM   #159
Ram27
dumb

1. Color of Love - the first two chords sound like shitty parody wrestling music. the melody and lyrics honestly did grow on me since september. shudder. synth solo after the chorus is cool, like the twin leads in Ava adore. halftime drum ending is kinda cool
  2. Dopamine - vocal intro is grating. overall boring and weak. it’s like quiet but without any of the redeeming instruments
  3. CYR - best atmospherics so far. chorus is unreal cringe. far enough in that it’s all blending together and becoming tiresome.
  4. dulcet - dynamic change is nice. lyrics are nonsense. yeah, this whole thing is still samey. bored.
  5. wrath - vocals are getting so grating. uninspiring overall.
  6. ramona - chorus is bad. i’m so bored. i’m less offended than after the countdowns but very bored. *i’ve been riding high* is kinda nice. then him crooning over the piano is torture. the weird drum sample build is so bad. ugh.
  7. anon - didn’t realize the last one ended. this one is kinda better
  8. birch - love the lyrics but the singing is painful
  9. wiitttch - worst so far. unlistenable and bad. i hate everything about the aesthetic. it’s tonight tonight on a horrible, horrible acid trip. i zoned out in the middle and grooved to some of the JC hihat slurps
  10. stagecraft - god is it over yet. i do like the chorus, it’s just his insta stories as as song. snare clap isn’t bad in context
  11. purple blood - i just can’t see myself actually liking this aesthetic. at least when taylor swift does synthpop it’s actually good and i’d like to see her naked on the cover
  12. save your tears - kinda cool beat. i paused before this to play rocket on guitar and the contrast was the highlight of my day. the bendy ‘swoon’ is the closest thing to pleasure i’ve felt this whole record
  13. telegenic - hate the intro. 20 songs is a lot to ask if you’re selling on vinyl. i get his point about streaming and it doesn’t actually matter with digital, but fuck. solo vox in the middle are so bad. remember bodies? fuck me.
  14. black forest - i don’t hate it, i guess. breakdown is pretty enough. tempo is boring but eventually JC entrances me
  15. adrenaline - everlasting gaze was better
  16. haunted - taylor swift’s was a trillion times better. thank god it’s almost over. this is really bad and tuneless.
  17. hidden sun - GOD this is so boring. especially after 16 other songs. kinda dreamy i guess. just paused to listen to a taylor swift song. came right back into to corgan cheese grating my ears. ugh.
  18. schadenfreude - this is the same as the last 50 songs. i dunno. i like the little sparse guitar part in the right channel. james wherefore art thou. cool drum panning.
  19. tiger - i know corgan said he was fucking around but at least WOCOAN was sweet and fit into the victorian dolls sort of vibe. this is bad
  20. minerva - praise fucking god it’s the last one. kinda nice. few cool JC touches. he pronounces minerva like a jackass

kill me

Old 12-01-2020, 06:22 AM   #160
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

5/10

I really, really like it up to BF/BH. I think it could've been a great album if they'd done 14 songs and not stuck so rigidly to whatever rules they imposed on themselves. After Telegenix sounds it sounds like an assortment of bonus tracks.

Production is lovely in places and I get what he was going for but it doesn't really sound cohesive. Some songs stand out as sounding completely different somehow. It's the opposite of MCIS.

BF/BH to Schadenfruede are all bad songs and/or badly produced. Adrennalynne and Schadenfreude could've been good but production is terrible. I'm surprised that they made it onto the album, a wiser man would've saved them or called in some help.

Haunted is the absolute worst song in SP/WPCs career. The sound, the chorus melody, the way the drums sound, the way the drums come in, everything. The part where the backing singers sing the chorus solo, specifically, is the worst few seconds of music WPC has ever recorded.

Tyger Tyger and Minerva are better but it never really recovers.

Also my vinyl copy (UK Orchid) is completely fucked. It's unplayable. Literally covered in "dimples" I've never seen anything like it. Whoever pressed these really didn't give a shit.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #161
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
5/10
Haunted is the absolute worst song in SP/WPCs career. The sound, the chorus melody, the way the drums sound, the way the drums come in, everything. The part where the backing singers sing the chorus solo, specifically, is the worst few seconds of music WPC has ever recorded.

Haunted isn't the worst track in the second half of this record, let alone the worst in SP/WPC career.

Because Your Are exists. WWMM exists. Ramona & Starrcraft exist on the same fucking record.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:42 AM   #162
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Nah. I'm telling you it's Haunted.

The thing is it's not memorably annoying like other bad SP songs so it'll never receive the recognition it deserves.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #163
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Haunted isn’t bad at all. Had the album today and that track has been growing on me.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #164
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I like Haunted.

The 4 worst tracks for me are Dopamine, Ramona, Starrcraft, Adrenalynne.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #165
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

The worst tracks are: wytcchh, bf b, tyger tyger, and wrath

Old 12-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #166
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I can’t imagine sitting down and listening to Cyr

Old 12-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #167
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Tyger, Tyger / Save Your Tears

Should’ve been the first singles. Weird, contemporary song to attract the headlines, coupled with the album's best track.

Then Anno Satana / CoL.

Finally, Wyttch / Purple Blood

(Cyr is binned off completely)

Old 12-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #168
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hmm

the weak ones so far for me are wrath, wyttch, and tyger.

purp blood-save your tears-telegenix-black hills is an awesome stretch (kinda like your dad lol)

Old 12-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #169
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Wyttch is actually complete shit, yes.

Tyger is getting dunked on, but you all need to sleep on it and realise it's like the best up-tempo Bieber-Eilish-certified track on this album.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #170
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Tyger, Tyger is great yes. I don't think the songs are really the problem though. The problem is the requirements / limitations they've imposed on themselves and/or WPCs limitations as a producer.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #171
Ram27
dumb

that fucking starchildren song that was fuzzed out to shit is 1000x more listenable than this

corgan recording the band onto a fucking 8 track cassette mixer thing is 1000x more listenable than this

he's fucking around too much

Old 12-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #172
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
that fucking starchildren song that was fuzzed out to shit is 1000x more listenable than this

corgan recording the band onto a fucking 8 track cassette mixer thing is 1000x more listenable than this

he's fucking around too much
We have evolved from Wall of Corgans on Zeitgeist to Wall of Katies on Cyr.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #173
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

one more wonderful parallel between the Naked Lord & our beloved president

Old 12-03-2020, 05:20 AM   #174
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

The problem of b0lly is being just focused on commercial success and "new" fame. When he does a 20 pop electonic, simple, with no deep feelings to make you think or feel things and 3 minutes songs, he is really looking for it.
He stills frustrated since 2000 when Britney Spears fucked his dream/band putting out pre fabricated plastic music with success. Since he wants to prove he can do the same too.
But failing until now...

Everyone knows the best music always come from the inside/heart which is what billy is not doing since TFE in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #175
thedeadofnight
Ownz

I actually can't sit through this whole thing.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #176
thedeadofnight
Ownz

How does he tell any of these songs apart?

Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #177
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
How does he tell any of these songs apart?
I'll ride Billy as hard as the next guy, but these songs do not all sound the same.

Ditch the full tracklist, use headphones and try this until you can tell them apart.

1. The Colour of Love
2. Tyger, Tyger
3. Anno Satana
4. Birch Grove
5. Purple Blood
6. Save Your Tears
7. BF, BH
8. Telegenix
9. Haunted
10. Hidden Sun
11. Dulcet in E
12. Schaudenfreud
13. Minerva
14. Wrath

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 12-03-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #178
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The fact no one on here can agree to their favorite edited tracklist suggests this is actually a pretty strong album, with a lot of nuance. It’s exhausting, even numbing, to sit through the entire thing. But different people are finding different things that they like as they spend time with the tracks.

For me, there’s probably always going to be an * on this one b/c it takes a lot of effort/patience to look past the vocal presentation. But there is some legitimate SP tucked away in the nooks and crannies of this album. More so than anything since golden era, i think i can safely certify at this point

Old 12-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #179
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
The fact no one on here can agree to their favorite edited tracklist suggests this is actually a pretty strong album, with a lot of nuance. It’s exhausting, even numbing, to sit through the entire thing. But different people are finding different things that they like as they spend time with the tracks.

For me, there’s probably always going to be an * on this one b/c it takes a lot of effort/patience to look past the vocal presentation. But there is some legitimate SP tucked away in the nooks and crannies of this album. More so than anything since golden era, i think i can safely certify at this point
True about the tracklist and it's an odd mix of Adore, TFE, Zwan by way of MTAE. As well as trimming the obnoxious tracks, I think he should've gone for a David Byrne - Lazarus aesthetic, less goth disco wizard and cartoons, more down-to-earth "this is an experimental synth album by ageing rock stars", it would have received more goodwill in response.

And with headphones that vocal presentation is much less grating.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #180
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Aw man Kenny Aronoff says this is technically music but he doesn’t like anything about it!