Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
morespsoon
Registered User
 
morespsoon's Avatar
 
Posts: 937
Default Has there been a musical genius in our lifetime (how about Corgan)?

I used to think Billy Corgan is a musical genius but someone on this site made a very argument for why he's not. If the standard for genius is whether people will be playing your music 200 years after your death, I don't think Billy Corgan fits the bill.

In fact, in my opinion, the only artist I think fits that description is John Williams. I pick him because his Star Wars work alone is legendary and will live on forever and that doesn't mention what he's done for other films.

What do you think?

 
morespsoon is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Starla
*****
 
Starla's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,785
Default

Prince

 
Starla is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Default

Michael Jackson

 
Esty is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Catherine Wheel
Minion of Satan
 
Catherine Wheel's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 5,547
Default

David Byrne
Brian Eno
Gary Numan
Robert Smith
Peter Gabriel

 
Catherine Wheel is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
emilem
Pledge
 
emilem's Avatar
 
Posts: 164
Default

prince, eno, aphex twin, i can go on all night, what's your point?

fuck john williams, fuck star wars. are you 12?

 
emilem is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: Your soul
Posts: 14,420
Default

mike byrne

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,219
Default

justin bieber

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

robyn is a goddamn pop genius

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,219
Default

mindy "skinflute" strawberry

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Mablak
Minion of Satan
 
Mablak's Avatar
 
Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!
Posts: 6,418
Default

Ah, skinflute Mindy. 200 years? She'll be around alright, she'll be around.

 
Mablak is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,219
Default

jonathan "montelds gay closet micropenis mormon lds www.monteit.com stealin' for jesus monkey suit date ethical stalking so u think ur all that" monte

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

alex buecherle child rape micropenis andrew pakula to catch a predator

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
morespsoon
Registered User
 
morespsoon's Avatar
 
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
alex buecherle child rape micropenis andrew pakula to catch a predator
Is this supposed to be some kind of joke? I find it to be very offensive if so.

 
morespsoon is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,219
Default

more "biggest www.lemonparty.org fanboy" spoons

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

i find your idiotic musings on rock music to be offensive, morespoon

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan
 
soniclovenoize's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 5,109
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by morespsoon View Post
I used to think Billy Corgan is a musical genius but someone on this site made a very argument for why he's not. If the standard for genius is whether people will be playing your music 200 years after your death, I don't think Billy Corgan fits the bill.

In fact, in my opinion, the only artist I think fits that description is John Williams. I pick him because his Star Wars work alone is legendary and will live on forever and that doesn't mention what he's done for other films.

What do you think?
But if that is your criteria for legendary status, the only reason John Williams would be known in 200 years would be for his involvement in Star Wars the film, not because of the music itself. It's like guilt by association. It could have been Danny Elfman who did the music, and Danny would have been the legend, not Williams.

 
soniclovenoize is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

honestly saying a composer is a genius because of a movie score is a fucking joke in the first place

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-16-2012 at 08:54 AM.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

THEY TOLD ME THAT THE CLASSICS NEVER GO OUT OF STYLE BUT THEY DO, THEY DO.


Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-16-2012 at 08:54 AM.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 27,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
honestly saying a composer is a genius because of a movie score is a fucking joke in the first place
shouldnt it be about the actual music and not what it is used for?

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

right but when it's a music score for an iconic film how can you ever separate them?

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

do you think someone who doesn't know what star wars is would find the score to star wars special? I kind of don't think so. Many people are fond of it because it makes them remember the movie and such.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
Morlock
Demi-God
 
Location: Germany
Posts: 447
Default

Paul McCartney.

 
Morlock is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan
 
BlissedandGone2's Avatar
 
Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.
Posts: 5,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
But if that is your criteria for legendary status, the only reason John Williams would be known in 200 years would be for his involvement in Star Wars the film, not because of the music itself. It's like guilt by association. It could have been Danny Elfman who did the music, and Danny would have been the legend, not Williams.
I know you're probably just picking another popular film scorer/composer for arguments sake, but no, it couldn't have been Danny Elfman who did the music for Star Wars.

 
BlissedandGone2 is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
Ball Sack Face
Banned
 
Posts: 667
Default

Boots Randolph

 
Ball Sack Face is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
Ball Sack Face
Banned
 
Posts: 667
Default

The Talking Heads

 
Ball Sack Face is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
Ball Sack Face
Banned
 
Posts: 667
Default

Fall Out Boy

 
Ball Sack Face is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
Ball Sack Face
Banned
 
Posts: 667
Default

Wesley Willis

 
Ball Sack Face is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
hnibos
Socialphobic
 
hnibos's Avatar
 
Location: I was just reading, right?
Posts: 14,967
Default

Mariah Carey

 
hnibos is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #29
Catherine Wheel
Minion of Satan
 
Catherine Wheel's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 5,547
Default

How exactly is Prince a genius? Granted he's a good songwriter but genius really?

 
Catherine Wheel is offline
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
How exactly is Prince a genius? Granted he's a good songwriter but genius really?
Robert Smith

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9/11/01..........9/11/11 The Omega Concern General Chat Archive 70 09-30-2011 07:28 PM
BWBW IN WHALE WARS COMMERCIAL redbull Pumpkins Archive 36 07-27-2009 09:21 AM
ANYONE FIND OUT ABOUT THE INTRO MUSIC? czr Pumpkins Archive 14 01-17-2009 08:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014