Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #331
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i will be optimistic and say there is about a 5% chance of that happening

Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #332
Versac
Oblivious Virgin

I thought I'd read somewhere that flood denied involvement with the reissue. Could be wrong though. (Hopefully)

Old 01-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #333
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I think Reprise has it: maybe a 5% chance of that materializing. But then again, at this point, I'm weirdly over the Metro DVD. I mean, yeah - would be cool - but my last major wish was Rubin's LMGTWTY, and now that is out (and great), I'm just happy to take whatever he tosses our way with Machina. A studio 'Lover' would be about my only real wish-wish.

I agree, I think the SD reissue is the best sounding so far. Don't notice a huge difference on Gish, to be honest. Need to sit and listen to MCIS straight thru. Pisces still blows my mind, that "Whir" vocal track is still just so confusing.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #334
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post

The bonus tracks on most of the reissues are stupid and useless, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Basically all I got out all of them combined was like 5 or 6 bonus tracks
lies all lies

Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #335
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
A studio 'Lover' would be about my only real wish-wish.

theres a demo on the machina demos bootleg, yea? couldn't really envision or want to hear a full band version.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #336
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Yeah, I think Reprise has it: maybe a 5% chance of that materializing. But then again, at this point, I'm weirdly over the Metro DVD. I mean, yeah - would be cool - but my last major wish was Rubin's LMGTWTY, and now that is out (and great), I'm just happy to take whatever he tosses our way with Machina. A studio 'Lover' would be about my only real wish-wish.

I agree, I think the SD reissue is the best sounding so far. Don't notice a huge difference on Gish, to be honest. Need to sit and listen to MCIS straight thru. Pisces still blows my mind, that "Whir" vocal track is still just so confusing.
I never even bothered to listen to the remastered albums

I love MCIS, TAFH and Adore reissues because they have tons of good bonus stuff

Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #337
slunken
Virgo

i used to not bother listening to the remastered stuff until i started putting entire box sets on shuffle and its nice to have the actual album material mixed in all with the same levels etc. also i figured i've heard the other albums to death why not give the remastered ones a spin

Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #338
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
theres a demo on the machina demos bootleg, yea? couldn't really envision or want to hear a full band version.
Yeah, there is - but you know that there's a cleaner version of it out there somewhere.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #339
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
lies all lies
That.

Oh, and this as proof:

Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #340
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleChuckle View Post
It'll be interesting to see how master these...

Personally, I think Machina I sounds too blown-out. After I listened to it a few times, something in me "got it", but I just don't like it. Machina II is really raw, but at least it sounds like instruments played by people.
alright, for one thing, i've never understood why this is such a big deal to people. people point this out about several albums all the time as if it's some standard that you need to hear the "people playing the instruments" or whatever. it's not a live record, they did what they wanted - not liking synth sounds or whatever is one thing but this is just baffling to me, like an old man who won't leave his hometown for anything

and as for this

Quote:
Considering the two albums sound so different, I don't think there's any way this thing comes out sounding cohesive.
i think it's possible
i always got the impression that M2 was hindered largely by the mixing/mastering process, surely a lot of this material was recorded at the same time as the first album, if it was all originally intended as a double? if the engineering was solid enough there's no reason this couldn't be mixed/mastered well enough to go alongside the MI songs

Last edited by Mals Marola : 01-07-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #341
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i always got the impression that M2 was hindered largely by the mixing/mastering process, surely a lot of this material was recorded at the same time as the first album, if it was all originally intended as a double? if the engineering was solid enough there's no reason this couldn't be mixed/mastered well enough to go alongside the MI releases
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork
Every track on MACHINA sits in a heavy syrup of synthesizer. Flood deep-fries the sound in golden calf fat. Guitars hiss like hig pressure hoses. Gelatinous bass issues from the crust like pus. The psoriatic sound comes off like infected yellow scabs growing on fragile frosted glass.

ppl that bitch about the production on machina are the same kind of fans that got the chicago songs shelved.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #342
slunken
Virgo

and how the heck do you listen to 2 box sets from the agreed upon best years of the band yielding well over 100 BONUS tracks and go 'oh there are maybe a handful worth my time'.

i'll admit i wasn't super-jazzed about the first three reissues (gish, sd, pi) but that was only because i wanted more bonus audio than standard audio.

mcis/tafh deluxe are bursting goldmines of golden era sp

Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #343
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Default t

Quote:
alright, for one thing, i've never understood why this is such a big deal to people. people point this out about several albums all the time as if it's some standard that you need to hear the "people playing the instruments" or whatever. it's not a live record, they did what they wanted - not liking synth sounds or whatever is one thing but this is just baffling to me, like an old man who won't leave his hometown for anything
Like I said originally, I "get it", I just don't love it. I'm not against the experience of the album, I just don't embrace it.

There's a reason it didn't catch on, its harsh and hard to get into.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #344
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
but we'll always be friends rite? ;_;

Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #345
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
but we'll always be friends rite? ;_;
You know thats right.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #346
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
i used to not bother listening to the remastered stuff until i started putting entire box sets on shuffle and its nice to have the actual album material mixed in all with the same levels etc. also i figured i've heard the other albums to death why not give the remastered ones a spin
i used to like doing this with the mellon collie & aeroplane stuff, made it all seem a little more contemporary in a way, at least with the mellon collie songs being re-contextualized & all that

Quote:
those are 2 of the reasons a lot of people love it as well, tho, so it works in the end

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #347
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
i used to like doing this with the mellon collie & aeroplane stuff, made it all seem a little more contemporary in a way, at least with the mellon collie songs being re-contextualized & all that

yea basically that. it's wonderful.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #348
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
those are 2 of the reasons a lot of people love it as well, tho, so it works in the end
A lot more people don't love it. I'm not sure it really worked out in the end.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #349
slunken
Virgo

i don't think M2 is that crazy or unaccessable. its just a lower-fi album by a band that has traditionally been so polished in the studio. a lot of people just weren't/aren't used to that. but it's not exactly inpenetrable ffs. it sounds better than QAOS that's for danged sure.

i feel like it's actually a litmus test for if any fans have bothered enjoying demo material from the past.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #350
Versac
Oblivious Virgin

I got into the pumpkins through machina ii. it's still my fav pumpkins release. hearing machina i after, the difference was sort of

Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #351
slunken
Virgo

i don't hear much difference between the two - it just sounds like M2 is a 3rd-gen cassette or something. the actual work is somewhere between instrumental demo and live sbd quality, which are two of my favorite SP things -> rough mix and live.

its like have you (not you) never heard mashed potatoes or any of the mcis demos past the home demos? hello?!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #352
Versac
Oblivious Virgin

yeah, i was just drawn to that almost-live, off-the-cuff quality of m2. by comparison, m1 felt like it had been tinkered with to death. i've grown to appreciate the differences between the two, though

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #353
Versac
Oblivious Virgin

and *** for chinoise

Old 01-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #354
Versac
Oblivious Virgin

why is plus one censored? lol

this place is strange

Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #355
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade View Post
yes indeed.. "live inside the dark globe" especially... 'porcelina/rocket' live '96

also, 'chinoise' as one of many wonderful demos/b-sides.

Those live tracks are really, really deeply satisfying to listen to for so many reasons. Meladori and Pissant and God @ Double Door, that monster Silverfuck (props to Billy for including the last one with Jimmy), WBFTT, Jellybelly...

I just wish it incIuded Ruby and Muzzle

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #356
slunken
Virgo

i'm usually not a big fan of official live releases but the mixing on dark globe is phenomenal (much better than any other recording sbd or no) and of course all of the double door (rehearsal/live) material is incredible too.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #357
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
i don't think M2 is that crazy or unaccessable. its just a lower-fi album by a band that has traditionally been so polished in the studio. a lot of people just weren't/aren't used to that. but it's not exactly inpenetrable ffs. it sounds better than QAOS that's for danged sure.

i feel like it's actually a litmus test for if any fans have bothered enjoying demo material from the past.
Oh I didn't mean that machina II was inaccessible, just some of machina I.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #358
slunken
Virgo

here's a thought - i wonder if sp were offered to do a live video set after mcis but instead they opted to do the b-side release of tafh. because it seems like doing a live video thing would have been the typical follow-up given the time.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #359
Versac
Oblivious Virgin

i hope he uses the m2 version of Try. he has said that's the one he prefers

Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #360
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade View Post
all fucky with multiple versions of the same songs like HMM etc..
Taking bets right now: how many versions of Heavy Metal Machine will we get? How many Glass and the Ghost Children? BC still loves BOTH of those beasts that hog setlists and slog up otherwise nicely paced shows.

It's a running joke between my brother and I that it's not a real SP show if he doesn't pull out at least one of those.