Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Default Florida Atlantic University fires professor who says Sandy Hook was a hoax

Dude sent letters to victim's family demanding proof that their children existed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ok-was-a-hoax/

This is where I am going to school btw

Last edited by reprise85 : 01-06-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

First they came for my guns then they came for my free speech.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Dude sent letters to victim's family demanding proof that their children existed.
truth warrior! professor!

Old 01-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Disco King
Minion of Satan

http://s21.postimg.org/xs2q6gfgm/same_thing.jpg

Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ok-was-a-hoax/

This is where I am going to school btw

A lot of those kids that were supposedly killed that December sure looked a bit older when they were seen singing at the Super Bowl a couple months later.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
that's a pretty fucked up thing to do but I'd like to know what justification the school used to fire him. I'm sure he and the union will sue the school if it's for stating an unpopular and repugnant opinion.
no he refused to disclose conflicts of interest in his professional life. the separation papers are in the article.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

he also was using university resources to do research on conspiracy theories, basically that was his field of study within the college. and not in a 'look at this' kind of way, but a nutjob believes that all of these events are staged and is trying to prove it way

Last edited by reprise85 : 01-06-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #8
redbreegull

obviously not a tenured professor? A few years after I graduated there was a psych prof at my school who was arrested and charged with paying prostitutes with prescription drugs. He was tenured. Technically he should be able to be dismissed regardless if the school finds him to have committed a "gross moral transgression." Guy is still with the college. Tenure is forever.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Cool As Ice Cream

academic freedom!
lol!

hear that, table of contents? you're academic now.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
The article says he's tenured. And he used college funds to research crazy shit that is within his field? I can't see how the school has a leg to stand on here. I think the guy is trash, but the erosion of academic freedom is a scary proposition.
He taught classes about conspiracy theories that were not scholarly. Conspiracy theories are arguably not in his field, but I guess you're right they could be considered related based on the media reporting aspect. Again he wasn't fired for this (technically). He refused to acknowledge other forms of income he was making in an effort to hide any conflicts of interest.

He was tenured. He was insubordinate and did not respond to requests for information.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
Cool As Ice Cream

they should've just killed him and then said that he wasn't killed, that it was a hoax and that they saw him singing the national anthem on tv a couple of months later. problem solved.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

The Feds should just kill everyone all the time and hide it since they can already time travel and teleport and mind control etc.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #13
yo soy el mejor

when do your classes begin, erica?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #14
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't get this. Wouldn't his role have been to teach about conspiracies, not to propagate them? Aren't they well within their rights to fire him for harrassing the families of massacred children?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
thomas_bland
Ownz

I know zero about the education in the US but I would have thought hassling the parents of murdered children would get you fired tenure or otherwise. Is that not the case?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
I don't get this. Wouldn't his role have been to teach about conspiracies, not to propagate them? Aren't they well within their rights to fire him for harrassing the families of massacred children?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_bland View Post
I know zero about the education in the US but I would have thought hassling the parents of murdered children would get you fired tenure or otherwise. Is that not the case?
nah, honestly tenure usually makes it 99.999% impossible for a professor to ever lose their job. I am surprised the school sacked this guy over refusing to disclose other sources of income or something. And it being in the guise of the conspiracy nonsense... I can't imagine there won't be a lawsuit.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #17
thomas_bland
Ownz

Mad. Get professing America.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #18
redbreegull

maybe it's really different at different institutions, but in general yeah it is near-unheard of for a tenured professor to lose her/his job. Nontenured professors often feel like they are in constant danger from what I hear because before you reach that checkpoint, you are basically totally expendable. There is a huge pool of people with phds who would love your job, probably only 10% of whom will ever reach such a position because of the very limited market.... which itself is partially a product of a system that promises older professors who have "made it" permanent employment no matter what with near-unlimited immunity.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
that's a pretty fucked up thing to do but I'd like to know what justification the school used to fire him. I'm sure he and the union will sue the school if it's for stating an unpopular and repugnant opinion.

The Professor didn't have to be an agitator to prove his point. The notion of a cover-up has been made by many who have proved government/media complicity regarding Sandy Hook. This particular psy-op was about 4 to 5 years in the making before the "shooting".

Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #20
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
when do your classes begin, erica?
tuesday. i'm nervous as fuck!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
That is what his role should have been, but in practice he taught them from the perspective that they were real. From what I've heard. I have a friend who was at one time doing work study in the communications dept at FAU and he said the whole department is terrible and he didn't think anyone was doing scholarly work. Obviously this is his opinion and his involvement was several years ago. He's an English/Rhetoric guy though so his opinion of communications majors in general is pretty low.