Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2015, 12:39 AM   #1231
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
Oh, fear Mr Baker, the ginger Baker documentary is faaaantastic but kinda poorly edited and starts and ends awkwardly without explanation clearly cuz the director really is a lying douchebag opportunist that deserved his face cracked with his cane.
or a... drumstick?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 AM   #1232
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
I've watched a ton.. That Amy Winehouse doc most recent I think. I really liked it. I thought she was amazing alive and though it wasn't really insightful other than her dad being a capitalizing assmunch it was cool seeing some behind the scenes stuff. They didn't really show just how mean the press was or even show her at her worst but it was a nice enough doc I suppose. I always like depressing movies.
I loved Amy but man it got me rill fucken angry watching all these exploitative douchebags try to justify themselves. Her Dad, that fucken guy she was in love with, the producers, just... ugh. You got the impression that jamaican(?) bodyguard dude was pretty much the only good bloke in her life.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #1233
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I loved Amy but man it got me rill fucken angry watching all these exploitative douchebags try to justify themselves. Her Dad, that fucken guy she was in love with, the producers, just... ugh. You got the impression that jamaican(?) bodyguard dude was pretty much the only good bloke in her life.
absolutely man, it was a really sad display. even her mom. she was just a kid! a real young kid and hearing her parents say shit like "no one could help her" is horseshit. the bodyguard and her old girlfriends that talk about her calling the day before she died talking about hanging out and starting back like old times, that broke me heart. could tell her friends really loved her and would've been friends again. poor girl was lost. her ex that blake guy should've died. his contributions were so phoned in. what a dick. mos def was a surprise. I didn't know he was her friend. he sounded at least genuine too. mom and dad though...ugh. complete bummer. I'm on the outs with my parents at the moment and sometimes you just need a mum and a dad. :/

Old 11-05-2015, 01:09 AM   #1234
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
speaking of Gyllenhaal:

Enemy
Had forgotten this film was directed by Denis Villeneuve. I like the two movies I had seen from him before - Incendies and recently Sicario.

With Enemy, I found it a bit cheap to go for a bunch of naked and sex shots in the first 10 minutes, but I felt the film generally got much better after the first half hour, eventually even the beginning made some sense. I was pretty slow to get what was going on (or could be going on) in general, which is a plus.

Gyllenhaal's performance in this one (combined with Nightcrawler) was so enjoyable that he's off my "meh I do not want to watch that creepy face" list, instead I want to see more of him.
I liked this one quite a lot, saw it a couple of years ago.

It's nice to finally see after at least 50 years of maybe not always great but certainly creative and effervescent quebec cinema (it started in the 40s but took a while to get really going) some local talent finally having international careers (there's sorta been Denys Arcand before but fuck him and his boomer films, he's a twat). Both Jean-Marc Vallee and Denis villeneuve have been known names here since the 90's but they only in recent years finally took off elsewhere and so far they keep making pretty good films (though in vallee's case, his early output wasn't exactly quality...his first did good box office here, but it's a pretty corny thriller) . I remember Villeneuve at 20 something in 1990 from this tv show where they had college kids travel around the world and shoot one short doc a week. And now he's making the Blade Runner sequel (which i'm actually not happy about but that's another thing)

Old 11-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #1235
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I did. I liked it, though it has a few issues, mainly having a predictable simplistic plot.

Other than that it has some of the vibe and charm of Guillermo del Toro's spanish films (the devil's backbone, pan's labyrinth), although it's not quite as engaging as those films.

Also, Tom Hiddleston and Jessica Chastain both put on a great performance in it.

If you haven't seen those old films i'd strongly recommend seeking those out. If you have and enjoy them, i'd say this one is worth checking out as long as you don't go in with high expectations.
Loved it. The costumes, cinematography and the actors.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 AM   #1236
Starla

Do I need to see Skyfall before seeing Spectre?

Old 11-05-2015, 06:24 AM   #1237
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
2010: a space odyssey

4 Bonnie stars out of 17
that movie sucks right?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #1238
Eulogy
huh

I don't think you'd ever need to see any bond movie before another.

But I would recommend you do watch skyfall first because it's good and one other reason I can't get into.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #1239
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Fantastic Four - 1/5

Goddamn this film was bad.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #1240
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Fantastic Four or Fantfourstic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
1/5

Goddamn this film was bad.
I guess it doesn't matter, then.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #1241
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I'll watch any superhero film at least once because im a comics nerd....i made it through like 30 mins of the latest Fantastic Four and thought maybe id resume it some other time and then didn't. I mean ffs i sat through the Corman one! (not really saying it's better than this one though...) Now i was never that much a fan of FF in comics...but there's no doubt they've been badly handled in movies so far. Though i called that this one would be a disaster from the very first info they gave about it. Just the cast alone... and like the latest spidey films it was only made to keep the movie rights.

And for fuck sake i kinda had a crush of Sue Storm as a teen and they cast Jessica Alba in the earlier films now Kate mara....two of my most hated actresses.... the character really isn't getting a fair shake.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #1242
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I watched Nightcrawler. It was good enough though the news media obsession with violence and shocking images critique aspect seems a bit.... old fashioned? i mean do people even still care? They made these movies in the 70's and 80's....i thought people were kinda fine with that now. anyway Gyllenhaal did the sociopathic fake nice thing really well. The too eager smile and eye contact...

Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #1243
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
And for fuck sake i kinda had a crush of Sue Storm as a teen and they cast Jessica Alba in the earlier films now Kate mara....two of my most hated actresses.... the character really isn't getting a fair shake.
she got the job done on Sin City tho.
just sayin

Old 11-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #1244
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Though i called that this one would be a disaster from the very first info they gave
Didn't they make it so "it's clobberin' time" became the line Ben Grimm's father would say before he'd beat him? Someone who gets paid to write things thought that this would help make a serious, brooding movie out of something called "Fantastic Four."

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #1245
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Silent Hill: Revelation 3d - 1/5

I knew it'd be pretty bad, and it delivered. I confess to enjoying some parts of the first Silent Hill (there were some interesting visuals there), but this one has zero redeeming qualities.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:24 AM   #1246
Order 66
Socialphobic

i was perusing one of those "netflix movies you probably missed" lists and came across The Hunt. Danish movie about a kindergarten teacher wrongly accused of diddling a kid and nobody believes him. pleasant surprise best movie i've seen in awhile

sucks how netflix has plenty of good stuff with so much trash piled on top of it

Old 11-29-2015, 02:53 AM   #1247
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Nightcrawler -

does a decent job at recreating that sweaty, gritty, alienating 80's city vibe.
not exactly sure how to put it - to me, it felt that this movie aimed to be this kind of disturbing, brooding and thought provoking story, and ultimately it ended up somewhat tame in that regard.
considering how mundane the subject matter is, the whole treatment for the antihero was a bit underplayed, maybe.

i could never stand jake gyllenhall, but he did a pretty good job here tbh.
to me the most depressing\terrifying scene was where, near the end of the movie, he just passed the two anchormen in the hall, put on his "grinning mask", and exchanged cheerful small talk with them, effectively establishing himself as a rising force in that workplace.
subtle, but the message is clear - many of the people the modern world would label "successful", are in fact hideously brutal people who stopped at nothing to get there.
if you don't love this movie, GO TO HELL

Old 11-29-2015, 03:46 AM   #1248
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I watched Nymphomaniac: Vol. 1, last night.

Wow, basically. I'm still kind of processing it, but it was definitely captivating and I'll probably slot in the second part at some point in the very near future. My biggest complaint would have to be the use of that Rammstein song, which was totally out of place and only harmed an otherwise immaculate opening.

Anybody else seen it?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #1249
shannon
Minion of Satan

Smile

yes, I thought Vol. 1 was a lot better than Vol. 2

Old 12-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #1250
Mo
Immortal

We watched Love by Gaspar Noé yesterday, the guy who also made Irréversible. The very first shot is unsimulated oral sex. But it captured the beautiful awkwardness of real intimacy remarkably well, I was honestly impressed.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #1251
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

saw Boogie Nights for the first time last week.

Kind of like PTA's version of Pulp Fiction. The second act really hits hard. The scene with Alfred Molina... wow. Amazing

Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #1252
strokous
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I watched Nymphomaniac: Vol. 1, last night.

Wow, basically. I'm still kind of processing it, but it was definitely captivating and I'll probably slot in the second part at some point in the very near future. My biggest complaint would have to be the use of that Rammstein song, which was totally out of place and only harmed an otherwise immaculate opening.

Anybody else seen it?
I didn't expect much when i saw Vol. 1 and was pleasantly surprised, actually.
Vol. 2 was just not as focused and seemed to go on forever though.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #1253
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Well, this has been disappointing reading. For shame!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #1254
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
WILL PAMRACHEL AND JIMROSS GET TOGETHER????

David Brent Michael isnt such a bad guy after all! awwwweeeee
yes thank you

Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #1255
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Swearnet 4/10

Huge TPB fan but found this disappointing. Only one laugh out loud moment for me: When Swearman was doing Sweareoke: "hit me with your big cock! C'mon hit me with your big cock. Hit me with your big cock; and I'm not even gayyyyyy!!!"

Old 12-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #1256
D.
Consume my pants.

ChiRaq - Knew going in that was going to be a typical Spike Lee joint. Absurdist, dramatic, real talk, and sometimes laugh out loud funny (i chuckled at the Gloria Steinem reference). The premise was atrocious. Spike can be a little out of touch, respectability politics did come up half-baked. Preachy, of course. Goofy "dudes just need to get laid" is dumb and offensive (yes i understand the greek play it's based on). I did like the lyrical flow of the dialogue and I'll be goddamned if i didn't start to feel a lump in my throat over Jennifer Hudson's agony over her slain daughter. Two hour long genital joke.

Opening shots of Chicago were cool to see, having spent considerable vacation time there; I'm actually doing my annual trip in less than two weeks.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #1257
D.
Consume my pants.

Oh and we also saw Spotlight. Loved it, love that kind of behind the scenes of a scandal/journalist type movie.
We bought both movie tix at the same time but realized we could easily walked into Spotlight. oh well.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #1258
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

bump

watched Cropsey on Netflix. I give it a B. they did a good job of creating a narrative out of the urban myth. But they also did a shit job of actual journalism and investigation. For instance, there's a point in the film where they show one person after another claiming that Staten Island is filled with satanists that practice ritual sacrifice. But there's no evidence for that. Not in Staten Island and not anywhere else in the US. But the film makers don't mention that back in the 80s when the murders discussed in the film happened there was a satanism scare going on. There were people all over the country being accused of murders in the name of Satanism. But none of it was true. It was all just mass hysteria.

IMO these filmakers cared more about creating a creepy narrative than actually fact checking the murder cases they built the film around.

it is engrossing and entertaining, though.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #1259
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
saw Boogie Nights for the first time last week.
Me too!

I loved it!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #1260
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Creed

Entertaining enough.

B

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

Also entertaining enough.

B