it's for my mom.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #32
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ground control to major tom

Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #33
Cool As Ice Cream

'im not doing ver well this leveling out of alcohol by drinking a little bit and then combining it wilth dirnkning a large amount on dthe same day seems to have something to do tiwth it at least its healrthier

Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #34
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i want to disappear into the void

Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I dunno, I wouldn't worry about the deadlines. Professors almost always would rather read a late but interesting essay than an on-time, boring essay. And 18-25 is a hard and shitty time for many, many people.

It's nice to have someone who is interested enough in the subject to take the time to write a good paper other than just turn in a shitty c-grade paper on time, which is what a lot of people do. People who don't meet deadlines are often perfectionists.

All of my work was late, last semester. Two of my professors were late in returning their grades. It's just life.
I think there's truth to that, but I think a lot of professors would rather have a student that works efficiently and can manage their time well and meet deadlines, than one who turns things in as late as I did. I'm not talking about one- or two-day lates. Some of these papers would be a week or two late. Like, I'm surprised that they didn't just give me a zero, because they would be totally justified in doing that.

Quote:
Don't worry too much about the reading either, and about the grass being greener in other disciplines. These days, you can change direction in a masters course later on.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I'm going to continue my discipline for my master's degree, or just continue with what I'm doing. Not yet sure what programmes let you into the master's programme without a bachelor's.

I don't want to do another 4-5 years of undergrad and just want to get a post-grad degree right away, so I may end up doing my master's in political science, and then doing another bachelor's in a different field after that. I dunno.

Quote:
I'm sorry if this sounds dismissive...I feel for you. And I said many similar things at your age - about not deserving the grades, etc. I just also have a headache right now.
No, it doesn't sound dismissive. It's good advice. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #36
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i want to disappear into the void
lol

Old 08-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #37
Andy /

i went to a class for the first time in 15 years this morning. and as expected i felt fucking old.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #38
jczeroman

<----is a prof.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #39
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Of what, and where?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #40
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

are any of you in ninsp's classses lol

Old 08-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #41
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

must be like taking heavy dose of undiluted retsrdism straight to the face

Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #42
yo soy el mejor

ah shit. yesterday was my first day of classes (i only have two that meet right now. two more are online. and one starts in october). nothing to speak of happened - just got some reading assignments and the usual. first days are so boring.

this morning, though, i woke up at 8:34 and school starts at 9:30 and it takes 47 minutes to an hour to get there. so i snapped outta bed so quick, put on some pants, tossed on a shirt, washed my faced, gargled mouthwash, and ran out the door by 8:39. i looked a hot mess and i didn't even have time put on chapstick or moisturizer.

so i'm standing on the train trying chill out a little bit and thinking of homework and wondering why i didn't do any of the readings. then i thought, 'i said i was going to do that tuesday. what the hell is today?' today was tuesday; i only have classes monday and wednesday. i was relieved and got off at the next stop to go home.

as i walking down the stairs to cross the bridge to the other side of the station, a white boy was taking his sweet time and i noticed he was just reading his phone. i said 'can i get in front of you if you're going to use your phone?' do people really need to be told that? i mean, 0 consideration and self-awareness. he was making 5 people walk at his reading-and-sending-texts-while-walking pace.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #43
yo soy el mejor

my spanish 103 class is all females (except for 2 boys -one that showed up yesterday, and one today- but i can ignore that). i love it.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #44
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Had a class last night where my teacher's response to my comment made me suspicious that what I said was stupidly obvious, and she was mocking me.

I mean, any time your teacher says "thank you for your words of wisdom" you know something has gone terribly, terribly wrong, amirite

Old 08-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #45
slunken
Virgo

Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #46
yo soy el mejor

passive hater alert! passive hater alert!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #47
slunken
Virgo

i posted that in the wrong thread. but thanks for gettng some feels from it.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #48
yo soy el mejor

Cool

i forgive you, but be careful next time.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #49
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
my spanish 103 class is all females (except for 2 boys -one that showed up yesterday, and one today- but i can ignore that). i love it.
yeah my honors seminar class is all women. 11 of us. the professor is a man and the one speaker we've had is a man.

we're reading love at goon park about harry harlow (the wire monkey/cloth monkey attachment theory guy) and it's honestly boring so far cuz it's basically a biography but i think it's going to go more into his experimentations

but it is really interesting the whole timeline, like all these babies were dying in european orphanages in the early 1900s and then BAM germ theory starts getting major traction so they isolate the kids and then they all become neurotic and/or psychotic and harlow and bowlby and maslow and all these other dudes have to convince all of these medical people who have gotten the mortality down from 80/90/100 percent to 30 percent that the babies they are saving and mentally ill and need to be held and stuff to not be and the prevaling thought of the day is to not be too nice to kids anyway lest they be soft and not be good husbands/wives

ANYWAY i've read like 110 pages i need the rest of a chapter in time for tomorrow's discussion

also i have to read all of these ethics in experimentation and modules and take quizzes online for my research lab work oy vey each one takes like an hour and there's 15 of them. due by monday. i get to meet all of my research lab mates tomorrow though!

abnormal psych we're kinda go through all of the psych theories somewhat in depth as far as therapy theories, starting with freud, behaviorism, cognitive-behavior, bit of evoloutionary aspects is where we stopped at. i think next we're going into just a discussion of the DSM

and then in clinical psych we're going through all these practical things about being a clinical psychologist like, what all you can do, best paths to grad school, how you get paid, types of practices you can be a part of, informed consent, dealing with patients referred by their jobs or otherwise don't have normal therapist/client privilage (like children), what gets shared in court proceedings and how to keep your client's shit confidential, how to do research and even case studies while changing info that 1) will mask who the person is but 2) not compromise the data

lots of practical things

and in cognition we're still on basic like dualism vs monism bullshit, also today we did a mental rotation lab experiment at home and i'm like 2 full standard deviations slower at mental rotations than the average of like 30,000 people who've taken the test, go me i'm spectacularly bad

Last edited by reprise85 : 09-01-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #50
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Had a class last night where my teacher's response to my comment made me suspicious that what I said was stupidly obvious, and she was mocking me.

I mean, any time your teacher says "thank you for your words of wisdom" you know something has gone terribly, terribly wrong, amirite
i'd say 99% thats true, yes

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #51
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

so I guess I posted about the strange wall of couch cushions in some other thread but basically, my cognition class is in the performing arts building because i guess the science buildings were full. so to get there i pass all these random art installations in the building. this one is all couch cushions and table tops glued on the walls with some extension cables in there. i don't really get it.

Last edited by reprise85 : 09-09-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #52
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

this semester is weird as fuck because i have so little required work
i only have one class that has regular assignments
two only have midterm and final
one has term paper and we have to read books and discuss them, and half of our classes are just watching presentations of research and/or clinical info from professors
and the lab hasn't even really started yet but there won't be any work outside the lab

so like all i have to do is study and one could EASILY just not do shit besides go to class and do the small assignments for the cognition class... but i'm trying to not be a shithead

it's been 3 weeks and all i've had is like 5 discussion questions and 3 multiple choice quizzes and i've read one book and done a bunch of ethics quiz things for the research asst position

i'm learning a shit ton don't get me wrong. i've been to every single class and i made some probably unnecessary quizlet flashcards for cognition and read over notes for my clinical/abnormal classes. but compared to last semester this is like a fucking walk in the park and i'm taking 15 credits vs 12

once the lab starts that'll be about 9 hours a week so that will change a lot but still guys it's very strange

Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 AM   #53
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
so I guess I posted about the strange wall of couch cushions in some other thread but basically, my cognition class is in the performing arts building because i guess the science buildings were full. so to get there i pass all these random art installations in the building. this one is all couch cushions and table tops glued on the walls with some extension cables in there. i don't really get it.

i know i kinda shat on this the other day, but now that the pic is clearer and more up close, i actually quite dig it. it's a nice thought - assemble small pieces of an object that for many people, is a big part of what they consider 'home'. you get home, first thing you want to do is chill out on the sofa. you have friends over on that sofa. you watch movies on that sofa before you go to bed at night. whatever. the way a couch looks and feels is a big part of what dictates the identity of a house. some are old, some are new, some are welcoming and comforting, some are harsh and uncomfortable. each one of those cushions is a throwback to a different 'type' of house - your grandparents' house, a slick and stylish bourgeois house, a newly furnished low income ikea house, etc.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:04 AM   #54
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I'M SORRY, I DIGRESS. I MEAN: I ACED MY LAST TEST AND MY AVERAGE IS 3.7 AND YESTERDAY IN CLASS THE PROFESSOR SAID /tv snow

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 09-10-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: i was looking for the word 'digress' all morning. all the sudden it came to me and i was like FUCK YEAH I'M EDITING THIS POST

Old 09-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #55
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Still, it looks like they disassembled a grand total of about four couches to make that shit and it's about as visually arresting as a bowl of oatmeal.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #56
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

well i mean it's a wall at some college.

think of this as the Here Is No Why acoustic demo.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:22 AM   #57
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Performed live by some dude at a gathering or run through a 2003 version of Winamp on my computer?

Old 09-10-2016, 03:30 AM   #58
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

played by a raggae band in a chinese jazz club, run through the 1998 equalizer algorithm of winamp, in front of an agitated crowd forced to sit in the form of a half circle

Old 09-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #59
yo soy el mejor

only 13 more weeks of school!

Old 09-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #60
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i'm done with 4 weeks and i haven't had any tests yet. first one is wednesday.

i have to write an approx 15 page paper for my honors seminar class. on anything i want. ideally, it will explore something i'll want to explore with my thesis paper. i'm thinking of doing something on dishonesty - the evolutionary reasons dishonesty is often good for our species, and how people learn to be dishonest, and how we lie to ourselves and don't even realize it. how we lie to others not to offend them ('your haircut looks great') but that a large part of that is really so we don't have to deal with conflict and not for the other person at all.

something along those lines... i will be spending many hours on this paper and i will need to read a lot to even get a grasp of what i'm dealing with. i know some other species do purposefully trick others, for example some apes who learn that if they go to where food is the alpha ape will just push them out of the way and eat their food. so they will go to a different place, where there isn't food, and then while the alpha is frantically looking for his stolen meal, the original ape will go eat. but obviously, that's for survival reasons. we lie for so many reasons. i think exploring why we do this and what mechanisms evolve and develop in the species and ourselves that exploit this ability.

whatchu think?