Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

then it has definite lebowskiness about it

Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #32
Bread Regal
Banned

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthre...81#post3980781

Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 AM   #33
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

i don't know when the last time i wrote a letter was. i use email primarily for work. but i agree with all of the above sentiments regarding time to craft thoughts and express things more clearly. i stumble over myself in conversation.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #34
Trotskilicious
Banned

that's a great reference for when people/scot wonders why we're mean to him

Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #35
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
well the shut the fuck up scotty is, on my end, a modified lebowski meme
it is, for me too.

it's perfect to express my disrespect towards him. i have him on ignore, so most of the times i reply with "stfu scotty", i haven't even read what he has said. and that's how it should be. it's no longer about what he says. it hasn't been about that for a long time.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #36
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

thankfully my best friend doesn't use skype or any other form of social media so i don't have to go checking a bunch of different areas of the web for messages. we do a lot of emailing because i know no one wants to look at their phone while they're at work.

our emails almost read like texts, though. like, the other day i sent her a link to a free streaming movie online (Rec - iz really good!) and asked her what shape frames look best on my head since she saw me most often in glasses.

she used to write faithfully to a guy in jail (one she knew - not some pen pal from online) and their letters were soooo long. she'd always let me read them and his penmanship and prison art were impressive.

i occasionally write letters to my family when a phone call won't do. sometimes i want to express myself beyond the ''this is how i'm doing right now. how are you?''.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #37
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
it is, for me too.

it's perfect to express my disrespect towards him. i have him on ignore, so most of the times i reply with "stfu scotty", i haven't even read what he has said. and that's how it should be. it's no longer about what he says. it hasn't been about that for a long time.
the world does not stop and start for him!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #38
bignothing
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
I chose that moment because the university she works at was in the national news recently and i thought i'd send her a message.
It does sound like it was good timing to contact her. My best friend went through a few Skype interviews in the past and she got a job in a law firm in NYC because of one. And I mean, she literally just scheduled her interview in between classes and sat alone in one of those breakout rooms for 45 minutes. I got the impression that as long as you wear good clothes, brush your hair and are generally a pleasant person that is enough because they don't give you an interview unless they liked your resumé anyway. The interview is just to make sure you're not a total weirdo in person, I think. Your case is not even about a job necessarily, so I wouldn't worry too much about it especially since she's family. I think it's important to have a connection like that, they might really help you in the future. All about the networking.

I don't know how old you are but I finished my undergrad later than average but my professors knew I was committed and interested and I felt they "believed" in me. I went from a no name state university in the US to the #13 in the world in my area for grad school and that's because I had recommendation letters from professors who were Princeton, Georgetown and Columbia alumni. I don't necessarily believe in these rankings, but it's the kind of stuff that fills my parents with pride and validates me or something.

I am very inconsistent at communicating, my FB wall is blocked, the only emails I reply within 24 hours are school or career related. My family sends me messages all day on WhatsApp and I really can't deal and they get angry. I text every other day and skype once every two weeks and that is good for me but for them it's like I'm the ungrateful evil daughter. My sister is a goddamn doctor and talks to them on the phone every day, which probably shoots down any of my "I'm busy!" excuses. I have like 5 friends who I actually care to check up on, so that isn't overbearing.