Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
No, I've just listened to a lot of music. I can distinguish a lot of different genres.
i think the general argument is that excessive genreization is actually pointless

Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #32
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i think the general argument is that excessive genreization is actually pointless
If I know music genres right, then I should be allowed and entitled to my opinion. Mellon Collie traverses more sub-genres within rock than any other album, and that is saying a lot. Not all the songs on this album fit into the mere category of 'alternative rock' as some would argue. Alternative is a broad bridge, but Mellon Collie is broader within the aspect of only being one album.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

i could make up a bunch of sub-genres and apply it to any record i wished to make a counterargument, hence why everyone is laughing at you

you're not entitled to people respecting your opinion just because you thought it

besides every time you say that i think white album white album white album but i'm sure that doesn't have post-anti-hardcore funk rock on it

Old 01-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #34
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i could make up a bunch of sub-genres and apply it to any record i wished to make a counterargument, hence why everyone is laughing at you

you're not entitled to people respecting your opinion just because you thought it

besides every time you say that i think white album white album white album but i'm sure that doesn't have post-anti-hardcore funk rock on it
Everyone here laughs at me because they are Netphorians, and their intelligence is as uncertain as the second coming of Christ. And the White Album fucking sucks.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #35
Trotskilicious
Banned

okay guy you're a real music critic then

demonstrating your appreciation for music you are

white album sucks

how countercultural

Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #36
Trotskilicious
Banned

how controversial i mean

doesnt' have post grungecore on it so i guess you're right

Old 01-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

I'm going to have to agree with HereIsNoWhy's sentiment. Shallowed is a fucking idiot and was just trying to start a pedantic argument because he thinks that is what nethporia is.

But back to the sentiment - No, I can't personally think of another album that covers such a broad range of musical "styles" under one roof.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #38
Shallowed
Braindead

You should hit up fuzzyrose and jam together.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #39
T&T
Socialphobic

so jimmy is not coming back and it's because of HereIsNoWhy4U?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #40
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Just noticed that Hendrix's Electric Ladyland isn't on there. Weird omission from a readership that worships the classic 60s rock genre.
probably because anyone who has purchased the album in the last 30 years has the single disc CD version

Old 01-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #41
T&T
Socialphobic

is MCIS really even a double album?
when I bought it, it came with 5 disks.
and the LP is known to be 3 or 4 vinyls.

there was a thread on netphoria where fans made their own 1 disk MCIS,
so is it really a double album?

can HereIsNoWhy4U chime in as an expert!!?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #42
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
probably because anyone who has purchased the album in the last 30 years has the single disc CD version
So is Blonde on Blonde and that's on the list. I have Exile On Main Street on one disc too.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #43
redbreegull

Hereisnowhy4u, surely you realize that there is no objective genre classification and that all the lines you are drawing are arbitrary, right?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #44
redbreegull

I mean like "metal" is a classification having to do with the sonic and topical properties of music, but alternative is not a sound. Nothing can "sound" alternative, it's just a huge umbrella label for underground and then later mainstream rock music in the 80s and 90s. So you aren't even being consistent with what sorts of lenses you are applying. It sounds ridiculous.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
musician
i forgot i was talking to this guy

jazz-funk

Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #46
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I'm going to have to agree with HereIsNoWhy's sentiment. Shallowed is a fucking idiot and was just trying to start a pedantic argument because he thinks that is what nethporia is.

But back to the sentiment - No, I can't personally think of another album that covers such a broad range of musical "styles" under one roof.
i'm not even going to go there to be honest and i'm not trying to deny that MCIS is incredibly diverse but!

the electric lady is all over the place and that was just released a few months ago.

doing that kind of thing is daring and audacious and it doesn't happen much but it certainly does happen

good call on shallowed his arguments are always the dumbest semantics

Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #47
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean generally i just have a problem with defining genres too closely to the point where there's multiple subgenres of things that are already subgenres

grouping stuff is necessary but music shouldn't be cataloged like living creatures

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #48
redbreegull

honestly mellon collie is really diverse sounding because of Corgan's master adeptness at the loud/soft dynamic but I don't think it covers an unusually wide range of genres. I guess if you are going to invent a thousand sub-genres to prove your own point?

a song like tonight tonight can't even really be classified alongside anything else IMO. orchestral rock is not really a thing (or maybe it is, we should ask the genre professor). Then there are some hard rock songs not too far removed from the style cut on SD (Jellybelly, Here is no Why, Muzzle, Ruby), and some thrashy metal type numbers (cyber punk is what corgan called it) like zero, toase, bodies, love. then you have the soft songs, which are pretty indicative of corgan's gentler offerings from all across his career, including some weird shit like cupid de locke. Certainly a lot of sonic diversity

Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #49
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
honestly mellon collie is really diverse sounding because of Corgan's master adeptness at the loud/soft dynamic but I don't think it covers an unusually wide range of genres. I guess if you are going to invent a thousand sub-genres to prove your own point?

a song like tonight tonight can't even really be classified alongside anything else IMO. orchestral rock is not really a thing (or maybe it is, we should ask the genre professor). Then there are some hard rock songs not too far removed from the style cut on SD (Jellybelly, Here is no Why, Muzzle, Ruby), and some thrashy metal type numbers (cyber punk is what corgan called it) like zero, toase, bodies, love. then you have the soft songs, which are pretty indicative of corgan's gentler offerings from all across his career, including some weird shit like cupid de locke. Certainly a lot of sonic diversity
The point isn't to correlate MCIS with Billy's other work but MCIS within itself.

I would prefer to use the word "styles" over the word "genres", and there's a wide range of styles happening. More so than any other album I can think of but admittedly I'm not trying very hard.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #50
redbreegull

I really think what you are trying to articulate has a lot more to do with the power of Corgan's songwriting and the striking individuality of each track a lot more so than covering a large number of styles or genres or anything. the soft songs are soft and the heavy ones are heavy, each one stands clearly apart from its bookends, but with much of the Pumpkins music I find it difficult to apply genre labels to a lot of it. The band had an absolutely superior approach to dissecting its influences and then putting them back together in unexpected and often not immediately recognizable ways.

buuuut it's all still very SP. The White album probably covers more styles and does so intentionally out of novelty. you have songs that are consciously bluesy, rockabilly, tin pin alley, folksy, psychedelic noise, plus a lot of totally weird shit. I don't see MCIS as trying to do this. I think its vision is more just to take the sound the Pumpkins had cultivated (fairly original sounding already) and then press all those different sides into the far corners of the room so to speak.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #51
Trotskilicious
Banned

the white album sucks man, totally overrated. beatles are boring. i'm a musician.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #52
starlightvideoproductions
Ownz

I was gonna say "You don't know what your talking about!" but you are a musician apparently, so you must be 100% right

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #53
T&T
Socialphobic

musicians know music. that's how they be musicians and stuff. there's like degrees given to these people too.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #54
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Found this on Digg the other day:

100 Years of Rock Visualized

http://www.concerthotels.com/100-years-of-rock

My wife and I had a fun time playing the samples for each other and trying to guess the artist and genre.

Last edited by Baffler_Meal : 01-10-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #55
Ram27
dumb

I categorize all my Pumpkins stuff as Rock in iTunes because it doesn't fucking matter.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #56
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I categorize all my Pumpkins stuff as Rock in iTunes because it doesn't fucking matter.
Same here. I don't tend to do playlists at all, much less categorized as genre. Sometimes it is nice to find the genre for songs/artists you like to track down similar music.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #57
T&T
Socialphobic

I have so much SP in my catalog, I just gave then their own genre. i only bother giving appropriate genres to music I'm not familiar with.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #58
slunken
Virgo

I've never bothered with genre tags in iTunes

Old 01-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #59
redbreegull

I was really into genre categorization when I was in high school but now I'm not

Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #60
Order 66
Socialphobic

i live the chillwave lifestyle