Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 11:35 AM   #1
Electro

Post SP song that got you into the music

With me, the first pumpkins song i heard was Disarm. i heard it on the radio and i really liked it because it was so much better and different than what was on the radio and what i liked ("higher" by creed etc, "wonderfull" by everclear) at the time and it just got my attention.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
RedBarron4

Bullet with Butterfly Wings. It is my all time favorite song. MCIS was the first cd I ever had and i got it so i could hear Bullet, Zero, and 1979. When I firs heard bullet i thought it was way to heavy for me.... yet at the same time it was totaly awsome!... and i just had to keep on listening to it. It was like the first time you get off, you feel really naughty but at the same time you like it.
I got MCIS for my birthday that year and to this day that album is like my bible. Every song on that album is amazing.
It wasn't long after getting MCIS that i had bought the rest of their albums and was impatiently awaiting the release of the next one!

Old 04-26-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Travis Meeks

for me it was drown...then Glynis

Old 04-26-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Marquis667

Arrow

Back in 94 a friend of mine was playing Siamese Dream, I only had to hear Soma...

Old 04-26-2002, 01:01 PM   #5
Dead

I'm gonna reply to this o-boardy topic for the heck of it http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

One day I wanted to get a depressing cd cause I was depressed.. So I went and decided to grab MCIS. I suppose I thought of it as a depressing cd because I had heard BWBW.. this was before Tonight Tonight came out. I don't know if it was before Zero or after, because they NEVER played it anywhere. Anyway, I didn't get into SP I liked a particular song is my point. BWBW didn't really grab my attention or anything. Once I got home I started playing it, and I ended up playing the entire album 3 times in a row. It totally ruled!

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited 04-26-2002).]

Old 04-26-2002, 01:18 PM   #6
Graveflower

Thumbs down

Disarm

Old 04-26-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
pale_princess

Arrow

all of sd.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:31 PM   #8
Smiley

The singles and videos from MCIS got my attention, but it was Muzzle that got me hooked. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Old 04-26-2002, 02:42 PM   #9
Mustard

cherub rock was the first that captured me, back in the SD days.

Old 04-26-2002, 03:26 PM   #10
ATOMBOMBboy

I remember hearing Today back in the day and thought of it as a catchy little tune and didn't think to much of it, but when I heard BWBW for the first time I went nuts. I remember I was in michigan visiting the Grandparents and mom and pops had given me some spending money for the vacation and I wanted to buy the CD, but at the time didn't know it was a double disc, so when I got to the store and found out it was a double disc I knew I couldn't afford it so I had to buy the cassettes first. I listened to dawn til dusk so much that the tape broke, but I convinced grandpa to buy me the CD. So I guess BWBW was the groubdbreaker there for me.

Old 04-26-2002, 03:40 PM   #11
The Gaddrow

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Electro:
... Disarm ...what was on the radio and what i liked ("higher" by creed etc, "wonderfull" by everclear) at the time....
You didn't hear Disarm until '98?

Old 04-26-2002, 03:47 PM   #12
Zero23

Mayonaise 9/5/94. Watching this song live for the first time is what officially got me hooked on SP. Not too mention about 5 feet in front of Billy during the solo. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

-Mike

*side note, is there even a slight chance that a copy of this show exists?

Old 04-26-2002, 03:55 PM   #13
smiling politely

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaddrow:
You didn't hear Disarm until '98?

Those songs came out in 1999.

Yup, they sure did.

Old 04-26-2002, 04:39 PM   #14
Aeroplane

*sigh . . . alright! sd (all of it too)

Old 04-26-2002, 05:47 PM   #15
Reyngel

The first SP song I ever heard was Today while coming across the music video back when it came out. Years later my friend played Zero in the car. But the first song that got me into them was Crestfallen. I borrowed my friend's copy of Adore the week it came out.

Old 04-26-2002, 06:11 PM   #16
Stearnsie

Definitely PUG. I was shocked and astounded when I heard it.
Sooo... I'm a late bloomer.

Old 04-26-2002, 06:18 PM   #17
Civic Mice

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley:
The singles and videos from MCIS got my attention, but it was Muzzle that got me hooked. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

What he said.
I still remember hearing Muzzle on the radio, on some staticy, faded New York station, and being wowed.

Old 04-26-2002, 06:37 PM   #18
The Gaddrow

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by smiling politely:
Ok, you're right.

You didn't hear Disarm until '99?

Old 04-26-2002, 07:29 PM   #19
sarmatianus

I had heard some of the singles, but never really listened to them. The first SP I really got into was a live boot from the Adore tour.

sarmatianus

Old 04-26-2002, 10:23 PM   #20
Electro

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaddrow:
Quote:
Originally posted by smiling politely:
Ok, you're right.

You didn't hear Disarm until '99?
yeah, ive only really listened to them since recently (like a year ago) so im still new. after i heard disarm, i thought it was only one of their experimental songs, and the rest of it was just Gen X weirdness (just go with me, i didnt know anything about them and i was about 13 and fruity at the time so everything older than me just seemed strange) but after i heard bullet
i just basicly wanted to hear everything else they did and im slowly getting to it.

Old 04-27-2002, 01:57 PM   #21
Affectation

Arrow

Landslide.

Old 04-27-2002, 02:26 PM   #22
mpp

i saw the cherub rock video at 3 in the morning and that is was great

the next day i bought SD and the rest is history

Old 04-27-2002, 03:55 PM   #23
Death rock boy

I too was a late bloomer. I remember my friend Daniel got into them around 96/97, and he brought a tape of them around my house and left it there by mistake. It used to have the first 7 songs of MCIS on it, and I used to listen to Tonite Tonite, Here is no Why and the verse of Zero up to the chorus. I thought his voice was funny and remembered I'd seen the tonite tonite video and he was bald. I didn't think much of it, his voice made it sound like the band was some funny cartoony thing, like a villain from Dexter's lab or any other Cartoon Network show.
Later on, I borrowed Siamese Dream because I saw it in my friends house, and liked the cover, and thought the song name "Silverfuck" was hilarious. I listened to Cherub Rock the night I borrowed it, and some part of me sent shivers up my spine, but I kind of chose to ignore them, and on the whole neglected to listen to the CD, only listened to Cherub Rock a few times, and gave it back ... I just couldn't seem to get into them.

Then, one night, at about 2am, I put on a TV music show called "Later with Jools Holland" that usually had good bands, and made a big cup of tea and a bowl of cornflakes, and set down to eat.

I noticed as the camera whizzed past a bald guy and a japanese guy ... I recognised these from the TEITBITE video that was quite popular when Batman came out .. and thought I'd leave it on (the stuff I had heard had been ok .. right?).

So, the camera stopped whizzing around, Jools Holland made his little introduction ... and called upon The Smashing Pumpkins to open the show.

Without warning, Billy launched into the opening riff to Ava Adore, and I was absolutely astounded ... completely and utterly bowled over. So much so in fact, my cornflakes fell off of my lap and half drowned my cat. I watched in complete amazement .. and the next day went up my friends house and got every piece of SP media he owned to watch/look/read/listen ... and suddenly everything clicked into place ... the cartoon voice suddenly became this amazing bald songwriter, the zany guitars suddenly became these beautiful and amazing sounds ... and I finally learnt to enjoy the Zero chorus I'd previously hated. That was 1998, I went on holiday a few weeks later (just after adore was released) and took a load of SP tapes ... and it was the coolest holiday I've been on.

2002, 4 years on, 4 years older, from 14 to 18 .. and I'm still a huge fan, all because I happened to catch them on TV one night ... and that performance made me want to like them.

Old 04-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #24
Feeliums

Unhappy

Cherub Rock! My cousin listened to them when I was little and when I was old enough to appreciate it I remembered the song... I think I was 10 or 11 when I got my first Pumpkins album though! It doesn't work anymore, it had to be replaced

Old 04-27-2002, 05:23 PM   #25
The Gaddrow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Death rock boy:
I too was a late bloomer...
Great post.

Old 04-27-2002, 05:49 PM   #26
neopryn

Thumbs up

Believe it or not, it was The Everlasting Gaze. Although I was little during SD and MCIS eras, I still knew the singles and everything and watched all the videos. Of course, I didn't hear anything about them between Jonathan's death and this one cold December '99 night. I was alone in my house and really bored, so I flipped on the radio and they were saying "This is the new song from the Pumpkins." I thought, "Hey, I remember t****, so I left it on and was totally blown away. Since Machina wasn't out I had to rush out and buy MCIS. After being enthralled with that, I got Adore and found an old SD tape my dad had. I got Machina the day it came out and listened to TEG on repeat for a couple days.

Old 04-27-2002, 06:33 PM   #27
SP33

Zero

------------------
"We have the answer to your question. The answer to your guess is that we never fucking left!" 12.02.00

I have more than the regular shoes...

Old 04-27-2002, 06:53 PM   #28
zekix

Tonight Tonight got me to buy Lull, and Rhinoceros got me hooked.

------------------
http://www.angry-nerd.net/al/zoonie_black.jpg

Old 04-27-2002, 07:07 PM   #29
Electro

pretty much it seems like everybody had an amazing experience with them, like they didnt know anything about them but suddenly something clicked and they were a completely different band to them. thats what i love about this band, billy just seems to know how to touch stuff through his music that no other band can. If you first dont like his voice because it "just isnt a singer voice" then you will after you just listen, because his voice is perfect for his music: sometimes loud and angry, sometimes mellow and calm, almost a ****phor for life. his music is a ****phore, it always symbolises something.

Old 04-27-2002, 07:17 PM   #30
DoctaSoma

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBarron4:
Bullet with Butterfly Wings. It is my all time favorite song. MCIS was the first cd I ever had and i got it so i could hear Bullet, Zero, and 1979.

Yeah, I got MCIS for BWBW. It was the only pumpkins song I knew at the time. It was also my first CD ever. It took me quite a while to get into it though. The second song I fell for was Bodies, then Fuck You and then songs like Tonite, 33, In the Arms of sleep. After that I got into the whole thing and went hunting for all their other albums, which was surprisingly difficult in Tokoroa a small town in central New Zealand.

-Ben