Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #301
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Personally I am a coconut with a super hard/thick shell but lotsa milks inside 4 those who manage to penetrate

Old 12-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #302
run2pee
Minion of Satan

But how bout those airline peanuts? They're so small who even eats em? Amirite, Lol

Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #303
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'm gonna be honest I don't have any idea what any of that means

Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #304
run2pee
Minion of Satan

We're still talking about that confused Russian, Igor, right? On the plane as a hapless coconut next to a bass playing peach?

Or have I wandered into the wrong thread again

Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #305
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I've never been to Russia, but I could easily pull out some negative cultural stereotypes about them from my experience in Israel which go the opposite way. Rude, cold, brusque, unkind, myopic, unconcerned with others, aggressively intolerant of cultural conventions not their own

i don't know who you met in Israel that has these stereotypes about russians, but that's pretty far from my own personal views, or what i know of others' stereotypes to be. the single most ubiquitous (and ugly) stereotype about russians is that "they're whores". 'russian whore' is unfortunately a somewhat well known phrase in Israel. as for guys - i guess the common stereotype is that they're kind of outsiders, never being able to get rid of their russian-ness.

personally my 'stereotype' about russians is that they're organized, very smart (and usually quite technical), hardworking and kind. of course that can't be true for everybody but in general, i would say russians possess a lot of good traits. i guess maybe they're a bit impatient, or rigid in their disciplinary attitude.

about 7 years ago i worked as a ticket stub-tearer at a local theater in Jerusalem. working that job, i had a lot of unique opportunities to observe very certain cuts of the population, and see how they acted on their 'special night out' at the theater. it was a government operated theater or something, so you had shows very clearly aimed at certain crowds: orthodox jews, russians, shows for the more 'eastern' side of culture in israel (yemenite/moroccan/etc cultures). it may sound harsh, but that job really embodied to me how certain stereotypes exist simply because they are true, as ugly as it may sound. orthodox jew crowds, for example, would always take up the theater like an absoltue blizzard, being incredibly noisy, messy, very untimely, and disrespectful of their surroundings, leaving shit and half eaten food/wrappings thrown on the floor. russians, on the other hand, would always show up on time, dressed in their finest clothes, smelling nice, being quiet and respectful, always seeming to have an appreciation and respect for the art they came to see. you could literally see the difference between population A and population B, consistently.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #306
redbreegull

obviously your experience is far more extensive than mine, but I was speaking just from my own personal experience with Russians in Israel (and other Russians I have met). I did have a Russian friend I would smoke weed with on the kibbutz, but overall I found Russians to be not the most agreeable cultural group there, and this was underlined for me when I went to India and saw lots of Russian tourists.

Last edited by redbreegull : 12-27-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #307
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
lol

"this amoeba is very charismatic"
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i don't know who you met in Israel that has these stereotypes about russians, but that's pretty far from my own personal views, or what i know of others' stereotypes to be. the single most ubiquitous (and ugly) stereotype about russians is that "they're whores". 'russian whore' is unfortunately a somewhat well known phrase in Israel. as for guys - i guess the common stereotype is that they're kind of outsiders, never being able to get rid of their russian-ness.

personally my 'stereotype' about russians is that they're organized, very smart (and usually quite technical), hardworking and kind. of course that can't be true for everybody but in general, i would say russians possess a lot of good traits. i guess maybe they're a bit impatient, or rigid in their disciplinary attitude.

about 7 years ago i worked as a ticket stub-tearer at a local theater in Jerusalem. working that job, i had a lot of unique opportunities to observe very certain cuts of the population, and see how they acted on their 'special night out' at the theater. it was a government operated theater or something, so you had shows very clearly aimed at certain crowds: orthodox jews, russians, shows for the more 'eastern' side of culture in israel (yemenite/moroccan/etc cultures). it may sound harsh, but that job really embodied to me how certain stereotypes exist simply because they are true, as ugly as it may sound. orthodox jew crowds, for example, would always take up the theater like an absoltue blizzard, being incredibly noisy, messy, very untimely, and disrespectful of their surroundings, leaving shit and half eaten food/wrappings thrown on the floor. russians, on the other hand, would always show up on time, dressed in their finest clothes, smelling nice, being quiet and respectful, always seeming to have an appreciation and respect for the art they came to see. you could literally see the difference between population A and population B, consistently.
Russian people eat chips in mylar in the quiet cars of trains and orthodox jew women bring large strollers into subway cars. And always wear pantyhose

Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #308
LaBelle
Socialphobic

In Brazil, queues are bond making. People will become very talkative when there is a common annoyance. Even more so if someone manages to skip to the front.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #309
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it may sound harsh, but that job really embodied to me how certain stereotypes exist simply because they are true, as ugly as it may sound.
doesn't sound harsh to me. i don't understand myself how people go out of their way to ignore that there are such cultural differences. that's quite anglo-saxon in a way.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #310
redbreegull

I think intellectually, our society ("The West" or whatever) is at a point where it is having trouble clearly defining ideas like culture, stereotype, generalization, appropriation.

It's not possible to discuss "culture" without making generalizations. That literally is what "culture" is, it's a generalization about how a group of people act or think. I usually think of a "stereotype" as a generalization which is specifically meant to denigrate someone, often constructed in a nonsense way, making it different than a legitimate cultural observation.

eg: people say black people love fried chicken. Well guess what, it's true. Actually, everyone likes fried chicken. Well not everyone, but you know, most Americans enjoy some good ass fried chicken. It's an American, and especially a Southern staple. So yes, most black people probably like fried chicken, but that observation doesn't make them different than any other racial group. But at some point, someone picked this particular thing to mock black Americans over, and it turned into a hateful trope.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #311
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I don't like when the chicken's feet are fried

Old 12-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #312
hnibos
Braindead

I've not met a netphorian

Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #313
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Te extrañamos, Ricky.