Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #31
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Therr is no Cb or B# same with F and E.

That's why there's 12 notes in an octave.
So what you’re saying is that everyone has agreed to call a Cb or B# just a regular old B?

For the sake of preserving the sanctity of the 12-note octave? What is this collective hallucination....

Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

When western music was first invented only the following notes existed:

A, B, C, D, E, F

Over the years more notes were discovered and added. First G. But then someone discovered a note between F and G. It was proposed that the new note be G and the existing G be moved up but that would break backwards compatibility with existing sheet music and instruments so the system of sharps and flats we know and love today was invented.

Actually notes inbetween the "whole" notes and sharps/flats have since been discovered but their existence is hidden from the general public by leftist/communist MSM. You may have heard whispers of "micro intervals".. musicians that attempt these are shunned, discredited and ruined by the establishment and we are told they are "nerd shit".

Old 11-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #33
Ram27
dumb

were the scales ever real

~

why does giuliani dye his hair with soy sauce

Old 11-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #34
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

aw fuck i was like 2/3rds through that post before realizing it was a new incubator classic

foiled again, Gary's cousin!

Old 11-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #35
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
So what you’re saying is that everyone has agreed to call a Cb or B# just a regular old B?

For the sake of preserving the sanctity of the 12-note octave? What is this collective hallucination....
Well, C♭ is the same as B, whereas B♯ is the same as C.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #36
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 11-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #37
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Also, in the song "Tonight, Tonight," Corgan plays a C major chord. The hack. He stole that chord from the Beatles' classic song, "Let it Be." He thought we wouldn't notice if he downtuned his guitar a halfstep so that he's actually playing a B major, but it's plainly obvious that he wrote it as a C major and slightly changed his homework so that the teacher wouldn't notice.

Not only that, but you know those guitar-playing hands that he acts so proud of? He didn't earn those, either. He inherited his hands FROM HIS PARENTS, WHO ALSO BOTH HAVE HANDS.

Absolute fraud.
Lol. I deserve this. I didn't finish my thought.
I never noticed how similar those 2 chords in those songs are. Then it's weird. It's the same producer. The wondrous distorted guitars sound similar. Same perfect (or too perfect) sound and drum performance.

My point was that he's been chasing it so long that it poses the question from the OP. Was any of it real? Were the sound changes all marketing to the ever changing music climate? Goth. Fauxish neumetal. Hippy happy pop.
Any of it real?
Yeah. It was.

Take a song like spaceboy. I don't think modern day bill could write that and ******* it on an album. The lyrics are too messy and personal. To me, I think a song like that is who Billy actually is/was, along with 33, disarm, daydream, Methuselah.

I think as a writer he no longer could be vulnerable and deal with the pain and keep it out on front street. As well as try to be a rock star and constantly bait and switch your sounds. Etc.

He's always been chasing and I think the way he wrote MCIS was to settle down, let it be, and write naturally in a loving environment. Now it's a business and how he writes is to s drum loop and jams on things until he finds something radio worthy.

Now we get flowery words without substance.

But I hate being negative. I wish I knew how to embed. I like to find positive things.
Tilt is a fantastic song, with programmed drums, no James on guitar, and it sounds perfect.
I also thought it was silly to not incorporate Mina Loy and The Camera Eye into SP 2.0 it had perfect detuned guitars and a killer straight beat jimmy could Jimmy on.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #38
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Therr is no Cb or B# same with F and E.

That's why there's 12 notes in an octave.
Cb is not only an actual note, it has its own key signature (7 flats.) Look in a basic theory textbook.

Similarly B# is an actual note. And there is such a note as F flat (enharmonically equivalent for E), etc., etc.

Dig it!

Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #39
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Lol

But doesn’t the half-step make it a Cb (or B#) not a B chord? Maybe paranoid can straighten it out for us
This is a great theory question!

It’s still a C chord. But in this case the guitar functions as a “transposing instrument” one half-step below concert pitch. So we would still call it C even though it sounds like Cb/B.

Another interesting thing about guitar is that even though a standard tuned guitar plays in concert C, it is still a transposing instrument in that it sounds an octave lower than notated.

Just my two cents. Call me the Adam Neely of Netphoria.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #40
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Cb is not only an actual note, it has its own key signature (7 flats.) Look in a basic theory textbook.

Similarly B# is an actual note. And there is such a note as F flat (enharmonically equivalent for E), etc., etc.

Dig it!
I mean, nobody's stopping you from writing the note as C♭, but most people would just notate a piece of music in the key of B major instead of C♭ major, because why fuck with seven flats when you could just write the same thing with five sharps?

You kinda have to write the note as C♭ when writing in G♭ major, though. That way, you don't have both a B♭ and a B♮ in the same scale, and each note letter name appears only once. You could just write the key as F♯ instead, but then you just run into the same problem with having to write the F♮ note as E♯, or else you'd have both an F♮ and F♯ in the same scale, which isn't as economical as just being able to use each letter name once (it makes the sheet music look cleaner and more readable).

Old 11-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #41
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I’ve said it before but I gotta think that the “problem “now is the simple fact he is working on his music nowadays like it’s a job. 9-5, work on big riff from 10-12, lunch, track drums at 1, come up with lyrics by 4 because song has to be finished today by 5pm. Who can be artistic and creative and imaginative and passionate working in those constrictions?
mentioned this to a friend of mine today before reading this.

so many old rockers become technically good at banging out songs that they don't think about them anymore. just one and done. punch in, punch out. get a hot sandwich.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #42
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I literally hear from most successful creative people that if you want to create shit, you have to treat it like a job and schedule time to do it, instead of just waiting for "inspiration." If you just wait to feel motivated, you'll just be the kind of person who always says "I'm going to start a band," but never actually gets around to doing anything because you're too "busy," "tired," whatever (i.e. me).
but he's also not inspired anymore because he always wrote songs for girls so when he was young the girls knew the cool shit but now that he's old the muses have him chasing a bunch of bullshit

Old 11-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #43
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
There are very few singer songwriters that continue to make relevant or even good new music into and past middle age.
every time i read the bockris lou reed bio my favorite part is that essentially lou is a giant loser that legit peaked in college and was lucky to have fallen into the world he did, even though he turned it shitty and forced himself to form an identity around it. And I love LOU REED!

as soon as he tried to break free from it, the music took a GIANT NOSEDIVE

While we're at it, Nick Cave is as much of a poser as Tom Waits.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 AM   #44
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's amazing how far plunged into Billy's ass this community is

at this point you are all a bunch of people being cruel to an old man for not hacking it anymore

Old 11-25-2020, 02:08 AM   #45
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

these are people who chose rock and roll as their source of livelihood

writing songs mostly about either being rejected by females or partying with them

of course they're fucked

what more do you want

Old 11-25-2020, 02:12 AM   #46
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Wait, wouldn’t being plunged far into his ass mean we were sad machines level sycophants?

Old 11-25-2020, 02:12 AM   #47
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

writing songs mostly about either being rejected by females or partying with them

of course they're fucked

what more do you want
shit take

Old 11-25-2020, 03:38 AM   #48
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

of course they're fucked

what more do you want
Yeah, Smashing Pumpkins are well known as America's #1 Party Band.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:26 AM   #49
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
it's amazing how far plunged into Billy's ass this community is

at this point you are all a bunch of people being cruel to an old man for not hacking it anymore
Isn't he like... 53?

Is Vin Diesel an old man? Is Nicole Kidman an old woman? Mark Ruffalo? Jason Statham? Jimmy Kimmel?

We're "being cruel" to an "old man" afflicted with a monumental degree of self-defeating hubris, who has been pretty abusive about this community, because we didn't kiss his ass and give more of a shit about his band than he does.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:27 AM   #50
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
every time i read the bockris lou reed bio my favorite part is that essentially lou is a giant loser that legit peaked in college and was lucky to have fallen into the world he did, even though he turned it shitty and forced himself to form an identity around it. And I love LOU REED!

as soon as he tried to break free from it, the music took a GIANT NOSEDIVE
I'm not a Lou Reed fan, but what do you mean?

I read a medium article by his sister where she basically defended her parents and denied everything Lou said about them, which I thought was incredibly invalidating considering she's...a family therapist now.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #51
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Wait, wouldn’t being plunged far into his ass mean we were sad machines level sycophants?

sad machines is about obsessively aggrandizing BC just as much as netphoria is often about obsessively ripping him apart

both are equally out of touch

Old 11-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #52
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Isn't he like... 53?

Is Vin Diesel an old man? Is Nicole Kidman an old woman? Mark Ruffalo? Jason Statham? Jimmy Kimmel?

We're "being cruel" to an "old man" afflicted with a monumental degree of self-defeating hubris, who has been pretty abusive about this community, because we didn't kiss his ass and give more of a shit about his band than he does.
yes all very strong points

i think Sergio Leone made films until he was 60

but then he died.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #53
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Vinnie Stigma is 64 and Agnostic Front still rock and roll

Old 11-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #54
meatngreet
Pledge

Quote:
Also, in the song "Tonight, Tonight," Corgan plays a C major chord. The hack. He stole that chord from the Beatles' classic song, "Let it Be."
I remember the first time I heard "Tonight, Tonight" on the radio and thinking how much it had in common with "Linger" by the Cranberries - which was constantly on the radio/MTV during that time. The arpeggio'd guitar on the Tonight verses is identical to the Linger intro/outro (especially the outro - it's note for note), plus the way the strings are arranged in the background throughout. That song was everywhere at the time.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #55
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Given the new Zane Lowe interview, this is an interesting question.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #56
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
I'm not a Lou Reed fan, but what do you mean?

I read a medium article by his sister where she basically defended her parents and denied everything Lou said about them, which I thought was incredibly invalidating considering she's...a family therapist now.
i don't know the article but i know lou pretended his parents were these awful awful people but in reality they were amazing and very supportive and very nice yet he went out of his way during his entire life to present them as awful people because he's an idiot faker

Old 11-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #57
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I wanna talk some more about the birds and the Bs.

Will boys still like me if I'm a B♭?

Old 11-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #58
slunken
Virgo

i'm old but is that a black joke?