Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Banana
Banned

Default Since Kanye West has already established himself as the greatest hip hop artist ever,

what does he have left to do to establish himself as the greatest music artist ever? He's one of the most influential artists there is and his six albums are six of the greatest albums ever released.

What more will it take? 1 more great classic album? 2 more? 3 more? Or do you not even think he is in the realm of achieving that status?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

everyone knows i love and defend kanye pretty much all the time but

O
U
T
K
A
S
T

is the GOAT

Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

as for the question at hand, banana asks a decent one so i will give my $0.02

he will probably only ever be appreciated by hip hop fans and african-americans. white america has decided to hate this guy for reasons they should hate Charlie Sheen, or name a rock star, but since he's real dark and real angry and he has the tenacity to actually say things that make white people think that racism isn't over (but of course kanye is the real racist) he's the worst person in the entire universe and is summarily rejected as being talentless, rejecting any possibility that he's doing even good things -- let alone, great, incredible, or taking hip hop to new places.

if i was a research professor i would set up a study to see how much they'd like kanye beats with eminem rapping on them compared to the same beats with kanye rapping on them

i bet they'd all be like OMGZ EMINEMZ AMAZORING AND STURFS AN KANEY JUST STEAL SONGS AND SUCK AT RAPS

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
redbreegull

I wasn't aware that white america hated kanye west, it seems like everyone thinks he is awesome

Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

really, all i ever hear anytime i say i like him is that they hate his guts and he's stupid and awful and very mean and horrible and awful and talentless

yeah he's popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean that less people hate you than like you

also see the fucking south park clip you posted jeez dude

Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Banana
Banned

http://instagram.com/p/i3HlJxFSk1/#

Cannot fucking wait for Kanye to come out with something using that beat.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Order 66
Socialphobic

he's pretty much already achieved GOAT status... that was the purpose of dark twisted fantasy, to cement that. and anything else will probably me more of an artistic endeavor, like yeezus. or of course his collabs.

and yeah it sucks a lot of people know him as the crazy black dude but lets be honest, he does it to himself. a good artist does not a good personality make

Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
really, all i ever hear anytime i say i like him is that they hate his guts and he's stupid and awful and very mean and horrible and awful and talentless

yeah he's popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean that less people hate you than like you

also see the fucking south park clip you posted jeez dude
I think people love to hate him, but in terms of his legacy it's all good. also that south park clip is not making fun of anything related to reality, it's just silly nonsense at his expense so I don't think it is indicative of people hating him. all I know is that when I hear people shit on him it's usually with the caveat of, "he's so talented but," or "too bad he's such an asshole because"

Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #10
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
everyone knows i love and defend much all the time but

O
U
T
K
A
S
T

is the GOAT
I think the Roots and Tribe Called Quest have just as good a body of work as OutKast

Old 02-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I think people love to hate him, but in terms of his legacy it's all good. also that south park clip is not making fun of anything related to reality, it's just silly nonsense at his expense so I don't think it is indicative of people hating him. all I know is that when I hear people shit on him it's usually with the caveat of, "he's so talented but," or "too bad he's such an asshole because"
well i live in texas maybe that explains why it's always about him being horrible and talentless and "playing the race card"

Old 02-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I think the Roots and Tribe Called Quest have just as good a body of work as OutKast
i've never enjoyed Midnight Marauders, The Low End Theory, Things Fall Apart, Pherenology anything nearly as much as I enjoy ATLiens, Aquemini, parts of Stankonia and Speakerboxx.

Besides the fact that the stuff I don't like from outkast is still way out there in experiment land so deserving of respect

Roots did this for sure, i don't really think tribe went crazy places with music. maybe with rhyme but

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
redbreegull

it's hard out there for a gay fish

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Catherine Wheel
Banned

A Tribe Called quest arguably set the template for the Roots and jazz rap in general. So they even though they weren't as experimental as the Roots they were innovators and the Roots probably owe a lot to them.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
he's pretty much already achieved GOAT status... that was the purpose of dark twisted fantasy, to that. and anything else will probably me more of an artistic endeavor, like yeezus. or of course his collabs.

and yeah it sucks a lot of people know him as the crazy black dude but lets be honest, he does it to himself. a good does not a good personality make
I think he achieved GOAT status with 808s. That was the first album where you really see his brilliance. And it influenced hugely popular artists such as Kid Cudi and Drake and so kind of caused a paradigm shift in music in that sense.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Banana
Banned

The Roots are fantastic and easily one of the top tier live acts that you can see.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #17
yo soy el mejor

you believe everything kanye says about himself?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
A Tribe Called quest arguably set the template for the Roots and jazz rap in general. So they even though they weren't as experimental as the Roots they were innovators and the Roots probably owe a lot to them.
this is really spot on

Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #19
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Even though I have a lot of respect for Yeezus and found it really interesting to listen to I have no desire to listen to any more than that first time.

Last edited by Catherine Wheel : 02-08-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #20
Banana
Banned

Well that's fucking crazy because I've listened to that album more than any other album in the past year. It has so much replay value seeing as there is not a bad song on the album and it runs through pretty quickly so you can listen to it in one go easily just like The King of Limbs.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #21
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Rap isn't even close to being my favorite genre of music. I go through long phases where I don't listen to it at all. I come back to it every now and then.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
Order 66
Socialphobic

i usually skip to on sight, guilt trip and bring it up (or whatever that second to last song is). its not consistently great.. kind of like 808s