Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #1771
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 05-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #1772
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's not "uncool" at all to go to the movies on your own. i'd even say there's a romantic aspect to it. in fact, it's the one activity that doesn't really make sense to do as a duo, or group. i never got how the all-american stereotype became going to the movies for your first date. you just sit there next to a stranger still, unable to really focus on the movie because you're thinking about how far your arms are and are they touching. and even if you do wanna get in some words, you're disturbing others around you.

on the other hand, going on your own kinda has this romantically dark thing, like you're a travis bickle or a jack nicholson, or even a guy like quentin tarantino who has spent most of his youth in the neighborhood cinema.

i'm making a case for going to the movies here but i rarely actually go, though. the chairs with crusted sweet popcorn gum on them, the tall cunt who will forever sit in front of you, the loud talkers, the inability to pause for a second and go grab a snack/take a piss (on a gamecube ofc, which is within reach, naturally - yet another advantage).

but if you have a quiet, small cinema around your neighborhood, especially one that screens good films, it can be very nice.
this is all true though. I need to see more movies in the theatre on my own

Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #1773
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i've decided to download Renegade and put on a daily episode at a fixed time. like when i was a kid and i'd always come home from school and this stuff would be on. if i'm not home, i skip the episode for the day, etc.

then there will be re-run request specials in which i will be able to watch missed episodes. i got it all worked out. i'm thinking about starting a business.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #1774
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

"the tall cunt who will forever sit in front of you": me

Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #1775
Elphenor
Braindead

tall cunts best cunts

Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #1776
Shallowed
Braindead

I always try to sit as far back as possible so I'm not craning my neck up at the screen anyway.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #1777
fuzzyroes
Banned

You guys have inspired me to take in a movie by myself next time I have nothing to do.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #1778
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

So, tomorrow then?

Old 05-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #1779
fuzzyroes
Banned

It feels like there hasn't been many good movies out lately anyways.... Like where are the summer smashes?

I actually had a thought the other day... The more politically correct the media gets, the tougher it'll be to come out with good comedy movies. The whole point of comedy movies is to laugh at the misfortune of others and if that becomes socially unacceptable, it'll be hard for the industry to promote the idea of doing just that with their films.

There really has been a lack of good comedy movies lately. What was the last one that Hollywood went all out to promote? "Blockers" with John Cena? Gimme a break.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #1780
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I actually had a thought the other day... The more politically correct the media gets, the tougher it'll blah blah blah.
Yes, this is a conversation worth having.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #1781
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

There's tons of blockbusters coming out every weekend. You should try opening your heart and eyes a bit.

Or, you know, maybe grow up a little and look for more refined fare that might be more in tune with your sensibilities.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #1782
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I actually had a thought the other day... The more politically correct the media gets, the tougher it'll be to come out with good comedy movies. The whole point of comedy movies is to laugh at the misfortune of others and if that becomes socially unacceptable, it'll be hard for the industry to promote the idea of doing just that with their films.
have you considered euthanasia

Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #1783
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's not "uncool" at all to go to the movies on your own. i'd even say there's a romantic aspect to it. in fact, it's the one activity that doesn't really make sense to do as a duo, or group. i never got how the all-american stereotype became going to the movies for your first date. you just sit there next to a stranger still, unable to really focus on the movie because you're thinking about how far your arms are and are they touching. and even if you do wanna get in some words, you're disturbing others around you.

on the other hand, going on your own kinda has this romantically dark thing, like you're a travis bickle or a jack nicholson, or even a guy like quentin tarantino who has spent most of his youth in the neighborhood cinema.

i'm making a case for going to the movies here but i rarely actually go, though. the chairs with crusted sweet popcorn gum on them, the tall cunt who will forever sit in front of you, the loud talkers, the inability to pause for a second and go grab a snack/take a piss (on a gamecube ofc, which is within reach, naturally - yet another advantage).

but if you have a quiet, small cinema around your neighborhood, especially one that screens good films, it can be very nice.
i first saw a movie alone when i was 16 while i waited for my boyfriend to get out of school. i saw crazy/beautiful with kirsten dunst (homygod that movie was a bore). i did the same thing the next week and saw the mummy while real high on dxm and walked out because the cinemagraphics or whatever were so obvious. then i went on a tear and started going out to movies alone on school-nights (this is when i saw the station agent and crushed on peter dinklage before anyone else) and even out to restaurants with servers and everything. i've never been shy about doing stuff like that alone. it's healthy and fun and you do what you want.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #1784
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
There's tons of blockbusters coming out every weekend. You should try opening your heart and eyes a bit.

Or, you know, maybe grow up a little and look for more refined fare that might be more in tune with your sensibilities.
I know there's blockbusters, but which ones have actually been worth seeing? And don't say any of the Star Wars movies.

Last blockbuster I saw in theaters was Ghosbusters... God was that terrible.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #1785
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

16 is the same age I started doing stuff alone, too. I went to a play on my own because I had to write a review for drama class, and enjoyed being alone so much, it actually became my preference.

Scariest movie I ever saw on my own was Ju-On: The Grudge...I was way too stoned for that.

But I used to go to cafes mainly on my own. It was much nicer then, in some ways, because people smoked inside, and nobody had phones or laptops. So it was common to see people reading newspapers and books, and smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. I felt comfortable smoking at least two cigarettes at the table, for every coffee I bought. So that filled in a good half hour, of just thinking, ruminating, dreaming, scribbling, etc. I could order a second, smoke another couple of cigarettes, and drinking plain espressos cost around $2.50/ cup, so it was a cheap but irreplaceably pleasant experience, that would break up an otherwise shitty and gruelling day. Cafes feel weird to me now, like they're no longer places where people go just to take a break from everything and think about stuff. I guess that could just be my impression. But smokers are a kind of masochistic crowd, I mean you have to be a little masochistic to be a smoker. So already there's this kind of philosophical aspect to a cafe culture dominated by smokers, because they're in a headspace where they consider life to be about more than just maintaining peak physical health. There was a nice kind of lack of pretense to it all.

Now everyone's ordering fucking turmeric lattes and kaleslaw and fucking cold drip, and drinking out of these shitty paper cups all the time. And it's just another place that has been taken over by the scourge of society, by which I mean, Health Conscious People with Positive Attitudes (HCPPA). They really have a way of ruining anything good. I haven't visited a decent cafe in about 15 years.

And no, I don't mean SJWs or snowflakes. I just mean people who care for themselves in every way except intellectual development. It's great that you have a 'True Age' ten years younger than your chronological age. But did you know that your ability to contribute to an interesting conversation is also about ten years behind, dickhead? Did you ever think about that?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #1786
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

last film i went to see was that "bleak"/"gritty" Wolverine. except in China it was hacked by like 15 minutes of screen time and all the good stuff was taken out, essentially. wasn't a very good experience. it the censorship probably played a big part in it, though.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 AM   #1787
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
(this is when i saw the station agent and crushed on peter dinklage before anyone else)
What about Living in Oblivion?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #1788
Shallowed
Braindead

this birb is me

Old 05-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #1789
redbreegull

jeebuz it's been raining for five days here, like really raining. the streets are all filled with water and it just keeps coming down.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #1790
redbreegull

tonight I'm going out with my frenz at the reopened iteration of a favorite local bar which burned down a few years ago. we gonna party it up

Old 05-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #1791
Shallowed
Braindead

Old 05-24-2018, 03:12 AM   #1792
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
i want those 76 seconds of my life back

Old 05-25-2018, 02:07 AM   #1793
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Why? It's not like we'd use them for anything other than being sad.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #1794
Disco King
Minion of Satan

More boring stories about my hapless social life.

I dunno if anybody remembers that girl I went on a few dates with and whom I really liked, but who told me she didn't feel any chemistry, so we decided to just be friends.

I invited her to another outing (some event I invited a bunch of friends to), and she eventually sent me a response saying that now that she's seeing somebody, she doesn't know how to feel about our relationship, because she doesn't know if we would be "good at" just being friends, as since deciding to just be friends, she feels like it keeps on "coming around to being more than that."

I don't really know how to respond. Our platonic friendship has been pretty emotionally intimate, but I've accepted that she isn't into me, and was happy to still be good friends. I kinda sense what she means about feeling some romantic tension there, as there have been times that have also left me wondering if she was interested again. There was a time where I'm pretty sure she tried to kiss me, but I didn't kiss her, because that was the same night she confided in me about her recovered memories of her father's abuse, and I didn't want to take advantage of that vulnerability to let her confuse our emotional intimacy for romance, especially when she previously told me that she was no longer interested. The second time I hung out with her since we stopped going out, it was a lot less touchy-feely, and in my mind, more "just friends"-ish. So, I did find it surprising that she's still feeling like things are inching toward something more than a friendship.

I responded to her that I still am happy to remain just friends, and invited her to bring the guy she's seeing along if she does decide to come to the event. I didn't mention that I'm still interested in her, because I felt that irrelevant. Even though I'm still sweet on her, I've already accepted that we're just going to be friends, and I can live with that. But I feel like something would be sorely missing if such a strong friendship were to be dissolved.

She hasn't responded yet. It's been a couple of days. Which I suppose means that she's preparing to break it to me that she doesn't think we can be friends. I guess I'll have to let go.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #1795
Disco King
Minion of Satan

In other news, that former coworker I went out with a couple of times over a year ago texted me out of the blue a few weeks ago, and asked me out. I had only taken her on a couple dates before not asking for a third because I wasn't sure I felt anything, but I accepted this one. Being really slow to get comfortable with people myself, I often feel like I never got a chance to show them my "real" personality before they lost interest, so I'm pretty open to extending to other people the further chances to connect with me that I'd ideally like to be granted.

Since I had last taken her out, she was in a relationship with another former coworker, so I guess they broke up? I didn't ask about him.

Anyway, after cocktails, she has me back at her place, and essentially pounces on me the second the door is shut behind us. She reveals that she had essentially been pining for me since we last went out, which I guess implies that she was still interested in me throughout her last relationship? I dunno, it would explain why a couple of days later, when her ex visited my workplace, he angrily said "fine" and stormed out of the place as soon as I greeted him.

But in retrospect, the girl was probably just saying shit to butter me up, because she's been ghosting me since we went out again. I dunno, maybe she was just bored and picked a name out of her little black book, or maybe meeting me again reminded her that I'm not as interesting as the memories of me she's been holding for the past year. Or maybe I'm just cursed.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #1796
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

DK you beast

Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #1797
ilikeplanets
Braindead

before forever i'm going to have to start dating again. i've never had to navigate the sober crowd. it will be hard to relate to people that don't have a sordid past, but i definitely don't want to be involved with someone still hung up on said past. it's a confusing thing. i'm still probably too weird for someone actually normal, but i'm entirely NOT interested in anything/anyone crazy like i used to be. i'm not exactly ready to go looking yet, but i'm definitely starting to feel the lack of adult company and will have to do something about it before it gets out of hand. i've never gone this long without a boyfriend since i was 18.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #1798
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

idk about your age but at my age everyone single has a sordid past pretty much. mental health issues +/- substance abuse

Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #1799
ilikeplanets
Braindead

yeah, the good ones are always taken

Old 05-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #1800
ilikeplanets
Braindead

also, i doubt we're more than 5 years apart in age which really doesn't make a huge difference. i've ALWAYS dated older anyway