Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #781
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
yeah you are

My kid is a Leo and it's already obvious. As a Pisces who has to be her mother I'm screwed.
ohno! good luck with that

Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #782
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I think I'll be able to understand her need for approval and never clash with her desire to be the center of attention, but I'm a bit meek and she's already strong-willed and prone to be dramatic. Just gotta teach her to ride the wave sometimes. And hopefully some of her fierceness will rub off on me.

all for fun, still

Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #783
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I was thinking more when she turns oh say, 15?
Luckily still a long ways to go!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #784
ilikeplanets
Braindead

T_________T DON'T REMIND ME LOL

Teenagers are scary. Even scarier, when she is 15 I will be 42. So hopefully I've learned how to fake authority by then.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #785
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

what kind of crazy cats do you have over there. In NZ every cat we ever had used litter for maybe two weeks while it was settling, or a kitten, and thereafter used the cat flap to go outside. they did all of their scratching and stuff outside and just came inside for food, a pat, and sleeping.

We had one cat that I adopted from the SPCA as a ratter, and she was fierce, but when she scratched I would just lock her outside for a while until she calmed down. She lives with my parents now and they spoil her rotten and put up with her scratching, so whenever we visit we come away with random scratch marks. But she was a special case, rescued from a gang house, had already had 2 litters of kittens by the time we adopted her, and she was only young then, maybe 3. And I chose her specifically because after dangling my hand in front of every cat at the shelter, she was the first to take a vicious swipe at it, and I wanted a ratter.

Our first cat made the mistake of peeing inside once and my Mum made him an outside cat immediately. He took care of himself though, that one. He was big and strong. My Dad tried to pick him up once because he needed to go to the vet, and he bit my Dad's finger so hard he pierced through his fingernail.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #786
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

There is no way dogs are cleaner than dogs. Every dog owner I know has apologised to me at one point when my kids visit because they haven't picked up in their back yard in a while, so the kids probably shouldn't play out there. Which to me is like HORRIFYING but I think to dog owners it's like the norm.

That's what puts me off getting a dog, the most. The other thing is that they seem to do worse when they are old and I don't know if I'm loving enough, as a person, to really care for a dog in those last couple of years when they need extra care. If it starts to smell and dribble and loses continence and can't really do anything cute my heart's true desire would be to keep it outside in a pen and throw food in once a day

because I've already lived through that stage with two children, who I obviously couldn't put outside, and I am like pretty much fully done with it

Old 01-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #787
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
There is no way dogs are cleaner than dogs.

also, it's customary in the US to have the litter box inside the house for the cat's whole life if it's an indoor cat. gross, right? and many people don't even keep them in the bathroom. i've seen many litter boxes in kitchens, ffs. hence, no cat while i have a person that will very shortly be crawling on the floor and putting whatever she finds in her mouth.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #788
ilikeplanets
Braindead

both pets are dirty af though. i've seen dogs eat cat poop out of the litter box, drink from the toilet bowl, and eat their own vomit. cat spraying is abhorrent and the shedding intolerable, plus they attract the more evil type of flea. and both species lick their own assholes.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #789
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #790
LaBelle
Socialphobic

as opposed to humans who lick each other's

Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #791
fuzzyroes
Banned

If you train a dog to be an inside dog, usually they like to keep themselves clean whereas cats are roaming around god knows where doing god knows what.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #792
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
as opposed to humans who lick each other's
more like in addition to

Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #793
vixnix
Socialphobic

we usually desex cats in NZ/Aus, while they're still kittens. And give them flea and worm treatments every six months or so - I can't remember now. The packets usually have a space where you write the date of the current treatment and then you know when to give the next ones

litter trays in the kitchen wtf
litter trays for the cat's whole life, my brother and his ex-partner did that, because their cats were indoor cats. Their dog was an indoor dog too, a short haired Griffon. Horrible ugly rat dog. It had anxiety about going outside because you know, it never went outside, and it refused to walk, because you know, it was basically a walking meal to any actual cat or dog, so they had to carry it in a sling.

Whenever we came over, it would just sit on his ex-partner and shake, and if we even made eye contact with it, it would bury itself in her. Stupidest and ugliest animal on the planet.

And it ate the cat shit out of the litter tray wtf. I gag even thinking about it. Stupid, stupid, classless, ugly POS

ugh

But I don't count that dog as proof that dogs are horrible. That dog could barely be called a dog tbh. most other dogs would eat it, I think.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #794
vixnix
Socialphobic

Anything smaller than a jack Russell, is not a dog, it is an abomination

Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #795
fuzzyroes
Banned

Old 01-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #796
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
both pets are dirty af though. i've seen dogs eat cat poop out of the litter box, drink from the toilet bowl, and eat their own vomit. cat spraying is abhorrent and the shedding intolerable, plus they attract the more evil type of flea. and both species lick their own assholes.
when my cat eats too fast she vomits sometimes and will eat it. to be fair it's basically warmer cat food at that point

also if you don't get a long haired cat like a persian and keep it brushed a few times a week they don't shed that much, unless you're allergic. and fleas are no problem for inside cats, but if you're worried there's medicine. i give it to my cat once every 2 months instead of every month for peace of mind.

they are dirty af but their immune systems are made to lick their own butts, it's not like if we ate our own shit cuz we'd get really sick. human cleanliness is really what is abnormal compared to most other animals, not cats and dogs being dirty

my cat doesn't clean her butt, so i do it for her with tushie wipes(tm). believe me, the only thing worse than cats who lick their own assholes is a cat who doesn't

Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #797
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
If it starts to smell and dribble and loses continence and can't really do anything cute my heart's true desire would be to keep it outside in a pen and throw food in once a day

because I've already lived through that stage with two children, who I obviously couldn't put outside, and I am like pretty much fully done with it
Good argument for ensuring your kids wear a helmet when cycling, though. "If brain damage brought on by blunt-force trauma causes you to lose all your executive functioning and self-care abilities, you're going in the pen. Like we did with the dog."

Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #798
vixnix
Socialphobic

it's not a joke, I know a family whose son suffered a head injury and their lives went from normal to very difficult in a matter of hours. The husband couldn't handle it and left, so the wife had to quit her job as a lawyer and became a full time carer. People do abandon their children in that situation because they're too selfish and broken to care for them properly. It takes a special kind of human to care for another human who is completely dependent and will never grow past that.

So not wanting to take that on with a dog is a kind of self protection. You never know what life is going to bring. Knowing that I'm not a particularly caring person (and by that I mean, capable of hands-on care, full time, for months or years at a time) I just have a niggle about getting a dog.

I feel like that's the sensible, responsible thing to do - make a brutally honest self-assessment. No dog wants to be neglected in their time of need. Maybe I'm just not cut out for dog ownership and should leave it to others, for the sake of all dogs.

Of course, as our blunt Italian friend put it, there is always the 'green dream' when things start going wrong. He was not going to pay for any surgery or treatment for any of their pets. When things started failing he was just going to take them into the vet and give them the green dream.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:35 AM   #799
ilikeplanets
Braindead

my mom was 36 when she had me and said if her amniocentesis test showed anything extremely abnormal she would have had me aborted. i don't leave her with lil girl unsupervised......

Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #800
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
it's not a joke, I know a family whose son suffered a head injury and their lives went from normal to very difficult in a matter of hours. The husband couldn't handle it and left, so the wife had to quit her job as a lawyer and became a full time carer. People do abandon their children in that situation because they're too selfish and broken to care for them properly. It takes a special kind of human to care for another human who is completely dependent and will never grow past that.

So not wanting to take that on with a dog is a kind of self protection. You never know what life is going to bring. Knowing that I'm not a particularly caring person (and by that I mean, capable of hands-on care, full time, for months or years at a time) I just have a niggle about getting a dog.

I feel like that's the sensible, responsible thing to do - make a brutally honest self-assessment. No dog wants to be neglected in their time of need. Maybe I'm just not cut out for dog ownership and should leave it to others, for the sake of all dogs.

Of course, as our blunt Italian friend put it, there is always the 'green dream' when things start going wrong. He was not going to pay for any surgery or treatment for any of their pets. When things started failing he was just going to take them into the vet and give them the green dream.
is 'green dreams' a Chomsky reference? if so, i'm not sure i get it, as the source is about disproving language as a medium.

but regardless of that, you may think you're scum or whatever but i think it's genuinely beautiful and noble that you're willing to be this honest about yourself and spare a living creature the anguish of suffering due to your dumb fucking recklessness. like those people who get a pup as a novelty birthday present and dump it miserably 4 months later. those kind of people i could never, ever have any profound respect, trust or love for.

also, that is the reason why i forbade myself from getting a cat or dog here, even though it would probably be very nice for me personally to care for one - i know i won't be here for 15 years and i will not toss them like a toy once i'm done here, whenever that may be.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #801
vixnix
Socialphobic

I doubt it was a Chomsky reference lol. I don't know where he got it from, he might have made it up on the spot. He was a project manager for a large construction company so he was with workmen all day and said stuff like "that'll come off like a bride's nightie" and stuff like that, which totally scandalised me. I was like wtf what?

I know what you mean about pets as an expat. I have seen a few posts on the expat wives page about leaving dogs behind and the community seems split between the "you belong in hell" camp and the "don't judge, you don't know their story" camp, and I am firmly in the former.

People are shit. We had to leave our chickens and rabbit behind in Sydney, but we found a lovely hippie girl and her girlfriend, down the road, who took them in and said they would all live inside and come into bed and watch movies with them, which was a lot better than the treatment they had at our house lol though they did have very happy lives there. They had a large run outdoors with plenty of leaf litter and shrubbery, under the shade of a massive liquid amber. They were pretty happy. We used to bring the rabbit inside into the airconditioning on really hot days because he had quite long, plush fur, and couldn't cool down on those super hot days.

he wasn't super grateful because it meant he didn't have easy access to his girlfriends

Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #802
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
If you train a dog to be an inside dog, usually they like to keep themselves clean
this is actually true IME. Tango is an indoor dog and he does not like to be dirty. He doesn't like to get wet or jump in mud or anything, and he is trained well enough that he doesn't eat anything off the ground and certainly never anything that isn't food. I think he is an especially clean dog, but I grew up with both cats and dogs and the cats were for sure dirtier and more destructive. You can't really have an outdoor cat when you live in an apartment building or in a place with lots of busy streets, so litter has to stay inside, and after having cats for years they definitely do things like tear up furniture and have accidents on the floor. dogs might pee on the floor as well, but cat piss is one of the worst smells known to man. cats smell worse by far. you can nearly always tell when someone has a cat when you walk into their house (cat people are often desensitized to cat odor though)

Old 01-04-2018, 03:00 AM   #803
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

also a dog never does something like get up on top of your desk and vomit everywhere

Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #804
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
vixnix
that pc with netphoria in the background, though.

not that i have any high horse to get off of, mind you.
in the wake of the end of my relationship with my ex, i escaped to china and left behind my beloved kitty who i was like a mother to since day one. the choice was either to drag him through hell to bring him with me for an undecided period of time (vaccinations+bureaucracy in israel, then long flight, then a month long quarantine in shanghai), which inevitably would mean i'd have to do it to him again when i was to come back, or leave him with somebody he knows, trusts and loves.

the answer for me was obvious but it did and still does tear my heart apart. tears were shed last time when i went to israel and visited him. he's with my sister now. i miss him tremendously and still think about him all the time. and feel so sorry whenever i accidentally think about how he must think i've abandoned him. but he still loved me last time i was there. i gave him so much affection.

i try not to think about how his life is getting shorter and how i'm not there to give him the love i still have for him, as it really is triggering. but i'm pleased to know he is in good hands for now, and remind myself that whenever this escapade ends, i will reunite with him and take him back.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #805
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
i've seen dogs ... eat their own vomit
But that's one of the best things they do! Waste not, want not.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #806
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Whatever pet you have just take good care of salamanders if you decide to go that route. I had an albino blind salamander growing up and he lived in the fishtank with the other fishes, they basically ate him alive over the course of a day... and he turned up dead.

That was pretty horrible.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #807
ilikeplanets
Braindead

That is. T_T

I think I want a turtle. That'd suit me and seems easy enough to keep alive.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #808
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Turtles are pretty cool!
I had a pet turtle too

Old 01-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #809
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Are they easy to maintain? Cuz I already have a high maintenance pet and I need one that won't get offended always being second fiddle.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #810
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Yeah, fairly easy. I kept the turtle in her little aquarium, only had to feed her daily and wash the aquarium once it started getting too dirty.
I liked holding her and letting her walk over me (not a kink) but she'd always try to bite me, so they aren't the most emotionally available pets

Last edited by LaBelle : 01-06-2018 at 08:48 AM.