Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #181
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Do you know many people who've quit because of it though? I know people who have cut back, and a lot who just go without other "luxury" items like bananas and butter.

It's an attack on the poor, these days. Cigarettes are one of the few pleasures available to the poor. Take them away and what you have is sugar, and last time I checked obesity now caused more health costs to the economy than smoking, and being obese with diabetes was worse for us than being long term smokers, but still, no tax on sugar.

That's because when they take away sugar, the revolution will occur. And the capitalist pig overlords don't have their clone armies ready just yet.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #182
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Wait, bananas are a luxury? Those are like the cheapest thing I buy (and I buy tons of them for that reason).

Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #183
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Also, don't tell me poor people don't have pleasures

Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #184
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

There's always pegging, y'know.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #185
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

They are here, because Australia protects its local market by forbidding imports from Ecuador, etc. and because labour laws are quaintly human-centred in Australia (for the time being), bananas are usually around $3/kg. A few years ago there were terrible floods in the banana growing regions, so prices were as high as $7/kg.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #186
vixnix
Socialphobic

We go through 2-6 bananas per day and that costs us about $10/week.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #187
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Wow, that's a lot of banana-pegging.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #188
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

But seriously, bananas are like 39 cents per pound at the grocery store where I live.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #189
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

USA! USA! USA!

Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #190
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I love how every single thread in this section has been derailed by page 2. I can't even keep track of what conversation is happening in what thread.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #191
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I love this place.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #192
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Bananas are dirt cheap here too. Everything is cheap here because people only earn $7 an hour. And are dirt poor.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #193
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The people around here will buy Sudafed over bananas though =/

Old 10-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #194
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

where i work bananas are 69 cents per lb. at aldi they are like, 44 cents a lb or something

Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #195
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Do you know many people who've quit because of it though? I know people who have cut back, and a lot who just go without other "luxury" items like bananas and butter.

It's an attack on the poor, these days. Cigarettes are one of the few pleasures available to the poor. Take them away and what you have is sugar, and last time I checked obesity now caused more health costs to the economy than smoking, and being obese with diabetes was worse for us than being long term smokers, but still, no tax on sugar.

That's because when they take away sugar, the revolution will occur. And the capitalist pig overlords don't have their clone armies ready just yet.
Sin taxes on cigs is probably a huge factor in why smoking rates have plummeted in the US over the last half century

Old 10-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #196
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Coincidentally, the media has been running a story about how the recent increases in sumptuary tax are being reflected in rising incidents of theft and, with that and a similar rise in duty-free sales, growth in the black market for cigarettes.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #197
vixnix
Socialphobic

Yeah I dunno. I think the sharpest drop came during the years of smokefree campaigning when smoking became a dirty and renegade thing to do. I didn't smoke until I considered myself a rebel, and most of my friends never started.

The period in the U.S. with the sharpest drop off rate does seem to happen at the same time as the sharpest rise in obesity though...?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #198
vixnix
Socialphobic

actually, that graph is just retarded, never mind

Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #199
vixnix
Socialphobic

having said that, people with no other pleasure in their lives do turn to drugs and comfort food. And sex. So if you take away a drug, expect people without recourse to other pleasures, to eat and have sex more often.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #200
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Life is pain so find the beauty

Old 10-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #201
redbreegull

I'm not commenting on the morality of sin tax and yes it does hit poor people the hardest, but I also think it has been a huge deterrent. If you want to change people's behavior, hit them in the wallet. I would like to believe the education element did it all by itself but that just doesn't seem likely. During the same period, the war on drugs unleashed an almost equal amount of anti-drug propaganda, and I don't think there is evidence that it caused people to smoke less weed, for instance.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #202
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Bananas are $2.47USD/kg from our biggest supermarket chain, though it's always the wiser move to gather your fruit and vegetables from an independent local that efficiently reallocates the gains from employment fraud to savings for you.

Weirdly, the online store for that major seller has a produce category labeled as "Ethnic Vegetables," containing only garlic shoots and bok choy. It's a bad look when you can find Italian Parsley in the regular section.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #203
redbreegull

I dunno I had more than one professor use cig taxes as an example of tax policy seriously altering public consumption habits or shaping the market. I don't have evidence on hand so I would have to go read up on this, but I was always taught it was the taxes that killed smoking in the US, not the DARE posters

Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #204
redbreegull

bananas are very cheap here as well

Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #205
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'm not commenting on the morality of sin tax and yes it does hit poor people the hardest, but I also think it has been a huge deterrent. If you want to change people's behavior, hit them in the wallet. I would like to believe the education element did it all by itself but that just doesn't seem likely. During the same period, the war on drugs unleashed an almost equal amount of anti-drug propaganda, and I don't think there is evidence that it caused people to smoke less weed, for instance.
When I came to the U.S. though, it was 1999, and cigarettes were still $3/pack in most places, and sometimes there were 2-for-1 sales. You could also get free cigarettes at youth events, music events and stuff. Write your name and email address down for two packs of camels, etc.

At that same time, in NZ, packs were about $7 I guess? Maybe a bit more.

If the graph is right, smoking rates had already dropped considerably by 1999 and at that point, in my opinion, cigarettes were still pretty cheap. Not pricey enough to be a luxury item IMO.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #206
run2pee
Minion of Satan

What about eternal darkness for the lamecube? Was hoping to score some b'nas and smoke a cig or 2 while play something scary for Halloween

Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #207
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Cigarettes were still $3 in Texas when I started smoking in 2005

Old 10-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #208
ilikeplanets
Braindead

And bananas were 39 cents for a pound!

Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #209
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Minimum wage was $5.35 though, wtf is that

Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #210
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
When I came to the U.S. though, it was 1999, and cigarettes were still $3/pack in most places, and sometimes there were 2-for-1 sales. You could also get free cigarettes at youth events, music events and stuff. Write your name and email address down for two packs of camels, etc.

At that same time, in NZ, packs were about $7 I guess? Maybe a bit more.

If the graph is right, smoking rates had already dropped considerably by 1999 and at that point, in my opinion, cigarettes were still pretty cheap. Not pricey enough to be a luxury item IMO.
again I'd have to actually research it, but that is not the gist I got from school.

$3 makes it sound cheaper than it actually was though because that's closer to $5 today. Consider that 30 years before you came to the US the minimum wage was higher when you adjust for inflation and a pack of cigarettes was like 50 cents or cheaper.